A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

well-nourished-appearing?? - dd

Posted: Jun 05, 2012

On exam, the patient is healthy and well-nourished-appearing? or well-nourished appearing?

This always throws me a little, too, but I would put the second. - jld

[ In Reply To ..]
I was originally taught that if a hyphenated modifier precedes the word it modifies, you hyphenate, but if it follows it, you do not.

Now following that logic and IF the word "appearing" was NOT included in there at all, it would either be a well-nourished patient or the patient is well nourished.

However, since we have the word appearing in there, I think the whole thing would have been hyphenated had it been before the word "patient" (a well-nourished-appearing patient), but since it is after it, the last part is not hyphenated, but "well-nourished" still modifies how the patient is "appearing" and that DOES precede the word it modifies.

Therefore, I think the patient is well-nourished appearing, "well-nourished" modifying "appearing," but the whole phrase modifying the "patient." Does that make sense?

:) - dd

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Help With Appearing
Sep 05, 2010

How transcribe 1 cm appearing mass? ...

Nontoxic Appearing Or Nontoxic-appearing
Jul 28, 2014

Is it nontoxic-appaering or nontoxic appearing..... hyphen or no hyphen??? ...

Natonic Appearing Esophagus?
Feb 22, 2011

s/l natonic Does anyone know what else it could be or if I'm spelling it wrong?  No obvious esophageal lesions were found.  She does have a somewhat dilated (natonic) appearing esophagus, but I suspect she simply has a low-grade motility disorder associated with her age.  Thanks ...

S/l Senile-appearing Endometrial Lining
Jun 15, 2011

HYPHEN - Appearing Ovarian Cyst
Aug 22, 2012

Is simple appearing ovarian cyst hyphenated after the word simple?  ...

Has Normal Appearing Lids, S/l Sarine, Conjunctiva
Jan 13, 2010

On physical exam, doc states: Has normal appearing lids, s/l sarine, conjunctivae. what is s/l sarine? ...

Hyphen With Any Word Preceding "appearing"
Aug 24, 2010

Can anyone ACCURATELY and CORRECTLY answer this question? With any word preceding "appearing", do we always hyphenate, i.e. normal-appearing? Thanks for your reply.     ...

"aseptic Appearing Picture"
Jan 15, 2010

Within 36 hours she developed "aseptic appearing picture?" Can't find it anywhere. ...

Webmedx Staff Just "appearing"
Sep 12, 2010

I am seeing LOTS of new names in QA and also a new STM.  My question is this - why are these openings not posted so that all can have equal opportunity for compete for one of these positions?  Is this even legal?  I know it is not ethical, but not sure about the legality.  ...