A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ulna vs ulnar - RaeRae

Posted: Apr 12, 2011

Sounds like "ulna 3 joints of her hand" but ulnar makes more sense since that is talking about more than one bone and ulna is in reference to just 1 bone. Any ideas on where to look would be great. Thanks

ulna vs ulnar - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Ulnar is just the adjective of ulna; it doesn't mean you are talking about a greater number of bones.(!) Whether you use ulna or ulnar, you are still talking about one bone.

The forearm has two bones: ulna and radius.

If they are saying "ulnar 3 joints of her hand", they are referring to the joints of the hand that relate to the ulna rather than the radius.

Thanks for clarification - RaeRae

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the help and info.

yw! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

ulnar is correct - sweetgirlsmom

[ In Reply To ..]
Ulna is a valid word. Ulnar is the same word in a different form. It is acceptable to use another form of the same word if the sentence construction justifies it. When I do that, I always look up the word and verify that ulnar is referring to ulna. Sometimes words sound alike so you shouldn't assume it is right. Always look it up.

I do change things like femur to femoral, abdomen to abdominal, pelvis to pelvic. I do not change things to different words. Kidney to renal or nephric. Liver to hepatic or hepar. That would be putting words into the doctor's mouth and possibly changing the meaning.

Similar Messages:

Fibula/fibular, Tibia/tibial, Ulna/ulnar, Etc.
Feb 25, 2011

What is the final say on how to use these words?? Is is tibia fracture or tibial fracture?  fibula fracture or fibular fracture? What if there is another word in front, does it become "proximal tibia fracture" or still 'proximal tibial fracture"? I find some people do it one way, others the other way!!  Thanks in advance for any help/direction/link to help with this. ...

Ulna Fovea
Aug 29, 2013

s/l doc is saying ulna fovea? I always thought it was ulnar fovea? ...

Bone Deformity In Radius And Ulna
Apr 19, 2010

it s/l natalung's deformity. ...

Ulnar Nerve Transfer
May 23, 2012

Clearly spells "Leiiermont" ulnar nerve transfer.  ...

? Rt Ulnar Nerve Neuropathy Surgery Sm
Jul 03, 2013

The patient received 2 grams of Ancef with a one-hour cut time, had s/l CDs placed on the lower extremities.   Thanks!  ...

*Ian’s* Canal Lesion On The Right Or Ulnar Neuropathy On The Right. Thanks. Nm
Jan 17, 2010

nm ...

Help With Ulnar Gutter Splint - Having A Time Today! SM
Jun 02, 2011

Closure was carried out with 2-0 nylon horizontal mattress sutures.  The patient tolerated the procedure well.  There were no complications.  A s/l "bulgie dealings" ulnar gutter splint was applied. ...

MRI Is Reviewed That Shows Ulnar Negative Variance And A Cyst Along The S/l Tri-plec-tro-non. TIA N
Nov 24, 2009

x ...