A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

grams or g?? - anon

Posted: Sep 25, 2010

Which is correct - no account specifics.

I use gm - Old part-timer

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey, but that's just me. I'm sure everyone will say I'm wrong!

Sorry, you are wrong. According to BOS2 - which we are supposed to use

[ In Reply To ..]
use abbreviation with numerals.

g is correct abbreviation for gram.

Learn something new and apply it to your life each day. The brain will not fog as fast.

To which I reply.... - Old part-timer

[ In Reply To ..]
Pfffft. The Almighty BOS will probably change back to gm next year. I've been around long enough to remember when we took out the periods between b.i.d., t.i.d. and then put them back in. This too shall pass.

My reasoning (besides my apparent Oppositional Defiant Disorder) is that no one is going to look at gm and NOT know that it means grams. So I figure it really doesn't mater.

it does not matter until the next time - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
you get audited and then post on here that QA is picking on you for little stuff. This IS the little stuff that they have every right to bust you on. They have guidelines - use them. If you choose not to, don't complain when they call you on it.
Believe me, I won't! - Old part-timer
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't sweat the small stuff. But thanks for your concern.

All according to what facility wants, we use gm - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

From Wiki - makes sense

[ In Reply To ..]
The International System of Units abbreviation for the gram is gm, and follows the numeric value with a space, as in "640 g".[3][4] In some fields and regions, the international standard units for units are used quite strictly, in particular in technical and scientific publications and in legally regulated product labels. In other contexts, a wide range of other unofficial abbreviations have been encountered, such as gr, gm, grm, gms, grms. The use of abbreviations such as "gm", "Gm", or "GM" for grams could potentially lead to serious errors in healthcare settings where accidentally transposing "gm" to "mg" (milligrams) would result in a 1000 times dosage difference. It would therefore be prudent to use "g" as the abbreviation for grams in any healthcare setting.

Using the same logic - Hmmm...

[ In Reply To ..]
The same logic could be applied to a case where an accidentally "dropped" letter m in mg could result in a 1000 times dosage difference. I see this occurring just as easily as a transposed mg/gm.
When I went to school, I was told to always spell it out - for the safety reasons you mentioned.
[ In Reply To ..]
I think BOS authors just change things so we have to buy another book or whatever every year or two. It's all about money these days, not safety.
I believe that would be safest - Hmmm...
[ In Reply To ..]
Spelling out grams and milligrams would be safest, but I don't think the BOS authors really have safety as their highest concern. To be honest, I believe they want to abbreviate grams as g just to save on keystrokes.

Not only BOS, the accepted abbreviation for - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
grams is g according to pretty much every scientific publication. gm is absolutely incorrect.

g or gm - jeannieb

[ In Reply To ..]
I use gm. BOS 2 means nothing to my company. I don't think it matters which I use. I'm sure my dictators don't even know there's a BOS 2 or 3.
I bought BOS 3, but I'm going to sell it on ebay fairly soon.

I would use g ...... - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

g is the correct abbrev for grams..... - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
g

I also never know if it is liter or L? - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I do it both ways and never feel comfortable with either.

if used with number, use L. - otherwise spell out

[ In Reply To ..]
x

That makes more sense than the across-the-board L - which looks dumb by itself.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks!!!!!

Again, according to facility, we use L when combined - with a number. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Softscript - Audit Nastygrams, QA Percent Nasty Grams, Line Count Nasty Grams
Oct 22, 2011

One after another, audit nastygrams, QA percent nasty grams, line count nasty grams.  They never end.   Supervisors pissed and surprised MTs don't show up and MTs quit.  Supervisors aren't smart enough to acknowledge why that is and manage it better.  Never ends. Yes supervisors pissed and surprised MTs don't show up and MTs quit and aren't smart enough to figure out their contribution to it all.  Neverending accounts of nasty grams from all corners and supervis ...

Grams Percent
Apr 29, 2010

Here is the dictated sentence. Her anemia had improved to 10 grams percent. How would you type that? 10 g%. doesn't look right. I typed it just like above but need confirmation for future dictations. Thanks ...

Grams And G, Liter And L
Sep 25, 2010

I was reading one of the posts below that discusses using "g" for gram/grams and using "L" for liter/liters. But I'm wondering because it really doesn't make a lot of sense.  Why do we use a little "g" for gram, but we use a capital "L" for liter? Anyone know? ...

Grams Per Meter Squared
Mar 22, 2011

Brain fart.... Im a CMT and I completely forgot the abbreviation (cannot use superscripts or subscripts).   Im doing a cardiology consult and I need to abbreviate the mass index of the left ventricle.  Help ASAP.  Thanks ...

_____ Oil 4 Grams Daily.
Dec 30, 2014

Hyperlipidemia/hypertriglyceridemia.  Triglycerides are higher on the Zetia.  He is also noticing side effects; therefore, Zetia was discontinued.  Discussed the correlation between the fish oil and prostate cancer.  We will switch to _____ oil 4 grams daily.  This word definitely starts with a C or a K and it is a short word, but I cannot figure out what other oil supplementation is used for hyperlipidemia.  Help please.   ...

Drug S/l Corvella 3 Grams Pt Has History Of Urinary Incontinence, DVT
Apr 01, 2012

x ...

Cefazolin 2 Grams IV "PP"
May 14, 2015

On an operative report doc dictates, "Cafazolin 2 grams IV PP."  What is "PP"?  I can't find anything to help me out.  This is on an account that has strict abbreviations and acronyms expanded, so i need to know what it is.   ...