A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Tip on using para- versus peri- i.e. parapelvic or peripelvic - tadams

Posted: Mar 07, 2012

Looking for tips on using peri- versus para-  Doctor sounds like he's saying parapelvic but could also be peripelvic.  Any advice?

peri and para from BOS 3rd ed - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
This doesn't help that specific question, but the following is from BOS:
PARA, PERI

Speakers of American English don't always clearly distinguish the prefix para- (next to) from peri- (around) partly because they often don't know or observe the differences in meaning. An originator may unconsciously or even consciously slur the pronounciation to cover his or her own uncertainty, perhaps hoping that the medical transcriptionist will resolve the ambuiguity and transcribe the word correctly.

Word pairs such as perifollicular and parafollicular, many of which occur in the medical language, are practically homonyms and the context of the dictation often gives no help in deciding between them. Pararenal fat is anatomically distinct from perirenal fat, yet either or both may be mentioned in the operative report of a nephrectomy. Some other word pairs (paraumbilical and periumbilical) are practically synonyms.

The transcriptionist who has a thorough grasp of medical terminology should have no trouble with terms such as parasite, parathyroid, peristalsis, and peritoneum. Other phrases such as perihilar infiltrate, periorbital ecchymosis, paracolic gutter, and paranasal sinuses occur so often that we have become familiar with them.

The semantic difference between para- and peri- is not clearly marked or consistently observed. However, there are certain patterns that can help decide which prefix is correct. Abstract nouns denoting diseases or conditions, particularly those ending in -ia or -osis are more likely to begin with para- (paraplegia, parakeratosis). Terms for chemical substances begin with para- , (parachlorophenol, parathion). Nouns denoting anatomic structures, particularly those ending in -eum or -ium usually begin with peri- (pericardium, peritoneum). (Exception parametrium.)

Adjectives denoting anatomic planes or lines and those referring to incisions generally begin with para- (parasagittal, paramedian). In official anatomic terminology, adjectives referring to lymph nodes begin with para- rather than peri- (parasternal, paratracheal). (Exception: pericardial lymph nodes where the adjective means draining the pericardium rather than around the heart.)

The difference in meaning between para-articular calcifications and periarticular calcifications or between para-appendiceal abscess and periappendiceal abscess is so slight that most originators would be hard-pressed to say which adjective fits better or to find fault with the transcriptionist's choice.

BOS, Page 304-305, 2nd Edition.

para, peri - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There are no tips. The best solution is to know the meaning of the prefixes and the meaning of the anatomic or medical term you are using.

Anatomically, para- means alongside of, near, by. Peri- means around, surrounding.

We would need the context to help you figure out your word. Here is a brief discussion on para-/peripelvic:

(i) parapelvic cysts: originating in the renal parenchyma extending into, and primarily expanding within, the renal sinus, and

(ii) peripelvic cysts: originating in sinus structures which presumably represent mostly lymphatic collections.

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/15/6/913.full

Similar Messages:

Peri Or Para
Sep 21, 2010

I apologize if this seems like a rather simple question for a lot of you, but I get all confused on this... Is it a PERIumbilical hernia or a PARAumbilical hernia?? Thanks! ...

Peri-occiput To C2 Fusion; Is "peri-occupit" Correct? Nm
Oct 02, 2013

Thanks. ...

Peripelvic Cyst
Aug 01, 2010

Noncontrast CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis showed no hydronephrosis or ureteral calculi.  Prominence in the s/l biatrial calisase thought to reflect a peripelvic cyst. ...

S/l Peri Hemostats Nm
Feb 08, 2011

nm ...

Peri Pant Dressing?
Oct 07, 2010

used regarding a fecal impaction op report on a young child.  Thanks. ...

HEENT Exam: S/L No Peri?? Edema
Feb 19, 2010

doc states...HEENT is unremarkable. No proptosis. No S/l peri?? edema. I definetly hear the peri...just not sure what is next.   ...

Reverse Something For Peri-infarct Ischemia
Mar 11, 2014

Dictator says, "...with small amounts of (something sounding like "reverse flow") peri-infarct ischemia. Help? ...

Gravida And Para
Jun 13, 2010

Is this right? Mom is a G2, para 0-0-1-0 Aren't we missing a number somewhere in the para section? Should I leave a blank somewhere? ...

Gravida Para
May 01, 2012

Just got this "she is Gx P2" in a gyn history.  Have done this for years and never encountered "Gx"  anyone know what this is? ...

Word Help.. In Abdominal Examination S/l No Evidence Of Peri-orientation
Jan 16, 2010

I appreicate  your help..  ...

Writing Out Gravida, Para
May 24, 2010

Doctor says:  G2, P2-0-0-2. How would it be written out? Do I have the format correct, or would it be: G2, P 2-0-0-2? ...

Para Musculature Or Paramusculature?
Jun 13, 2010

I've always typed paramusculature but now am questioning myself and can't document either. I'm working on a verbatim doctor so can't change it to paraspinal musculature. Help please. ...

Para Cystadenoma Of Right Ovary
Jun 09, 2011

I hear "para" cystadenoma of the right ovary??? ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

"left Column Para Lumbar"?
Aug 18, 2011

"left column para lumbar"? ...

"nulla Para Os" Is This Correct? Nm
Mar 09, 2010

Patient Has "para-sti-cious"
May 31, 2011

Patient does have some "pars-sti-cious" of the lower extremities compatible with diabetic neuropathy. ...

? Peri-dressing Or Perry Dressing ?
Oct 12, 2011

Patient has had panniculectomy in the past and has a well-healed scar except for some shininess to it and a tendency for one small area to have superficial dehiscence with bleeding if pressure placed. The doc clearly says, "...recommended having the patient put s/l *peri-dressing* over his..." and later "...have obtained several of these dressings for the patient." Can't find anything. Thanks in advance.  :-) ...

Gravida 4, Para 2, "zero Two Two" ?
Jun 19, 2013

I haven't done ob/gyn for 20 years.  Is it no longer politically correct to list "AB" for abortions?   What could this doc possibly be trying to say: "Gravida 4, Para 2, zero two two"  ?  Thanks.  ...

"para 3, Plus 0, Live 3" Anyone Know What The "plus" Means? Even QA Is Stumped.
Aug 23, 2012

nm ...

Versus Or Vs
Nov 04, 2009

Im new in this game and appreciate help with a silly question.  When a doctor dictates the word versus should we type vs. ...

'of' Versus 'for'
Dec 08, 2009

Hi, Can someone tell me which is correct? 'suspected of driving under the influence' or 'suspected for driving under the influence'. I think it is 'of', but not sure why this is so. Thanks. ...

IC Versus P.r.n.
Dec 10, 2009

What is the difference between an IC position and a p.r.n. position? ...

Ccs Versus ML
Jan 27, 2010

Whey typing for plastics is it okay to use ccs for the size of saline implants or is the preferred way mL....thanks. ...

VR Versus SR
Feb 20, 2010

I am not familiar with VR and have never used it, but I understand that there is a difference between voice recognition (VR) and speech recognition (SR). I am told the difference is that with VR the program has to be trained because it goes by voice only, sort of like us getting used to different dictators when we start a new account.  SR is supposedly different in that it goes by speech alone, meaning I guess, just the actual words dictated and is not affected by voice differences. Does ...

BNP Versus BMP
Jun 08, 2010

Hi, I have a dictator going over the patient's hypertension.  At the end of the section he says (BMP/BNP) was unremarkable.  I have no values, so I don't know if it was a single test or multiple.  If he's talkign about hypertension, I would think that BNP would be feasible, but it really sounds more like BMP.  Any help is great! ...

Sat Versus Set
Aug 15, 2010

Present ventilator settings:  Assist-control mode, FiO2 35%, tidal volume 400, PEEP 5, s/l sat or set rate of 12.    ...

In To Versus Into
Oct 21, 2010

which one to use...... He called the prescription into the pharmacy. or He called the prescription in to the pharmacy. Thanks!!!!   ...

ASR Versus ST
Nov 01, 2010

If you were offered 9 cents for straight transcription and 7 cents for ASR, which would you prefer to do...editing at 7 cpl or transcription at 9 cpl or both?  If you had to do both, but at given rates, would that be satisfactory? ...

Cc Versus ML
Jan 07, 2011

Is 780 mL of urine correct.  Or is 780 ml of urine.  TIA ...