A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Abbreviated PND - TK

Posted: Nov 26, 2011

Has anyone ever heard this term before?  I can't seem to verify if it is correct or not.  

paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Thanks...but... - TK

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, the doctor used the term "abbreviated PND." It's the whole term that I am wondering about. Thank you for your reply, though.

Don't Assume Paroxysmal... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure what your term is, but don't forget there's post nasal drip.
Good point - TK
[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes I don't think of the less popular meanings. Thank you.

In that case you're right, can't assume paroxysmal... - Sorry about that - nm :(

[ In Reply To ..]
x

He is telling you to type it as PND - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe he is dictating that he wants the acronym itself written. In other words he does not want it written out.

In other words this is what he is saying ...
The patient has no - abbreviated, please - PND.

It would be more cumbersome to write it out. It is generally seen and understood as PND. There is no need to expand it.

It would help if people gave the context when asking for assistance.
agree - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Makes sense - TK
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks! And, I didn't give the context because I didn't think it would help...it was a list of PMH: "The patient has a past medical history of CHF, CAD, 'abbreviated PND,' glaucoma, etc." I just wanted to know if anyone had ever heard the term. :)

Similar Messages:

Is Pneumonia Ever Abbreviated As PNA?
Mar 15, 2011

It definitely sounds like she's saying PNA but we are not supposed to use abbreviations in diagnoses and according to the rest of the report, the patient has pneumonia. Or is this an abbreviation for a kind of pneumonia?   Any help would be appreciated.     ...

Medication Abbreviated As NTGN?
Mar 24, 2012

I have a new doc who is abbreviation happy and in the list of meds he just says "p.r.n. NTGN." I can't find anything with that abbreviation either in Drugs.com or in AcronymFinder.com and putting in p.r.n. NTGN into Google just gives me a list of teen p*rn sites!!!  Ack!!! I'm sending this to QA as I don't want to leave that abbreviation in the med list on a consult but I'm grateful for any ideas or suggestions.  ...

Abbreviating Words That Shouldn't Be Abbreviated?
Jun 18, 2011

How do you treat words that the physician abbreviates that shouldn't necessarily be abbreviated? For example, I'm transcribing for an ENT physician's assistant who routinely will abbreviate medications or conditions in her haste to speak quickly. In a dictation I'm working on now, the patient has "a perfed TM and is on Oflox. otic suspension" (the patient has a perforated TM and is on Ofloxacin otic suspension). I tend to remove the abbreviations and type out the full word ...

Has Anyone Ever Heard "fractures" Being Abbreviated To "fracts"?
Sep 11, 2010

"DEXA - osteopenia - s/l frax major osteoporotic 8.  Hip fracture risk 2.2 - below threshold of treatment." Thanks for any help! ...