A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

no encouragement - buffy

Posted: Dec 30, 2012

Is it just me or is Nuance a company that discourages help from another MT for word finding, etc.?  It is a joke.  No one to IM, no one to ask.  I say to the QA that feed the info Fiesa, scre* you all!  You ding us just to keep your hourly pay sitting there all day.

On the Webmedx side - Rainy

[ In Reply To ..]
we have an e-mail address that is account specific to ask/answer questions of other MLSs. Very helpful to us.

Makes so much sense! (and a bit of a rant) - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Great idea. I didn't know that, but probably one of the reasons WebMedX had such a good reputation before they sold out.

I'm going to go off on a semi-related tangent, but that, along with other industry changes have me shaking my head.

A normal successful US-based business would want to:
Implement such a useful, beneficial idea as mentioned above.
Have the best reputation ("oh, I wish I could get a job there" or "my company just got bought out by xxx, they're a big national, it's going to be better!")
Take advantage of their size to benefit their employees, most of all, their FOUNDATION, the MTs (better insurance, rotate holidays, great communication, commendation instead of e-mailing somebody who has done 2000 lines of mush-mouthed ESLs brilliantly just to tell them they forgot a hyphen in one report).
Not stress employees out with clocking in/clocking out (not necessarily aimed just at Nuance). We are paid on production! If someone doesn't fulfill their committed lines, get rid of them. There are so many responsible MTs who would fill that place because that's how the experienced ones are used to working. And those who think a doctor MUST HAVE hundreds MTs available on EVERY holiday to transcribe a stat? Sorry, you are drinking the MTSOs' Kool-Aid: (1) There are not that many stats that EVERYBODY has to work and (2) life-threatening emergency pre-surgical or MedFlight-type stats are handwritten. We do not transcribe orders or prescriptions; we transcribe documentation. There are very very very few stats where someone is waiting for an MT at home to type documentation; i.e., you don't need a full weekday staff of MTs to work on a holiday.
BOS is not the "bible". Why do you think there are so many more client specifics now? Because doctors disagree with BOS. One example - that you should drop the apostrophe S off of Hodgkin's, Alzheimer's, etc. It's arbitrary, stupid, trivial, and I have not had one dictating physician in 25+ years dictate any of those without it. Uniformed MTSOs think some book's rule is more important than what the actual physician dictates because BOS 'told them so'.
Same with QA - sorry, a physician is not going to flip out like you do and "grade" me and "deduct points" because I typo'd the patient was "bought" instead of "brought". Yes, it's an error, I know, and I feel terrible because I'm a perfectionist, but it is not Critical and you don't need to point it out to me because I obviously did not do it on purpose and, again, I'll beat myself up over it more than you will. And please don't condescendingly explain to me it was a Critical Error because it "changes the meaning" because no one reading that document would actually think the patient was "bought" into the OR.

Its frustrating to point this out, but prior to 15 years ago, all those above went without saying, MTs had a superlative reputation for quality, were respected and frequently personally thanked, and the industry functioned quite well, thank you, without offshoring MTSOs and their new 'policies'.

encouragement - serac

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh really? I'll get flamed but I don't care. Potty mouth never gets far. Part of the job is to research. Anyone here signed up for it so just do it and quit squawking; its part of being an MT/MLS or whatever it is we're called now. We're the ones who took the jobs and agreed to the terms; the employer is the boss, NOT vice versa.

There are always changes in a business when one company buys another and nothing is ever quite the same.

I come on here AFTER my shift for a laugh because that's what is.

encouragement - buffy

[ In Reply To ..]
I take it your DSL. I am not yet so get over yourself. You certainly sound like you are totally over the top about "you".

"serac" is right. It's your responsibility to research. Furthermore, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
it's disruptive to other MTs when you stop them repeatedly to ask questions you should be able to figure out yourself by cracking open a word book or doing an intelligent search on the internet.

The reality is that in your world, everyone is supposed to cater to you and revolve around you, so you expect other MTs to be at your beck and call. Bad news... your world isn't reality and we don't want to answer your lazy questions. We're too busy trying to decipher our own garbage dictators.
What a horrible attitude. Before my "working - partner" left, we were SM
[ In Reply To ..]
both on Yahoo IM, and we would IM each other occasionally when we were stumped on something. I didn't feel it took time away from my work, it made me feel good if I could help. She reciprocated in kind. Your way seems extremely selfish and unkind. Do you mind telling me how old you are? Just curious if it is a generational attitude thing or just the way you are in this world.
I don't have a "horrible attitude." I'm just realistic. Read the other responses - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

(deleted post) - (deleted post)

[ In Reply To ..]
(deleted post)

Quite honestly by how you word your post and - desire for IM access it sounds

[ In Reply To ..]
like you would be a hinderance to other MLS if you did have IM access. Nothing to do with encouragement at all, and I'm glad we are not required to be on IM. As quick as you can IM someone for help, you can pick up a book or utilize internet resources. If you feel IM is your solution, then you're in the wrong business. Good luck.

Agree with others, we get paid production - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
and I would be extremely annoyed to be bothered all day long with inexperienced MTs asking questions.

I worked in-house for years and I got a little peeved being bugged constantly to listen to this and that all day and I was being paid hourly at that time.

I don't mean to be harsh but if you are working from home that implies you don't need your hand held.

You can always use the Word Help board here.

production - buffy

[ In Reply To ..]
It has nothing to do with production but more to do with asking perhaps questions about other things. I would not bother with IM either except is that they only way you "talk" to someone. Even if I am on IM no one else is. I was just told I had to do it. And BTW to all of you who cannot make line counts, its easy. Just stay the heck away from this godforosaken web site which is pretty much worthless. I have never ever seen such a crowd of negatives for this company. Maybe they are not the best, but they are not the worst either. If you don't like it leave. To all of you who are in your retirement age or close by, I do feel bad for you because these are the ones that truly were the MT heroes of this dying career.

production - buffy

[ In Reply To ..]
and I do not care if I spelled a word wrong in my post. I am not paid to care what you think!
Buffy: I agree with you. I just posted about my - "working partner" SM
[ In Reply To ..]
someone who was on the same account and worked same hours. We were not interrupting each other "all day long" it was just occasionally when something came up. We are both seasoned MTs. Sometimes a "second listen" by someone else figures it out. When I worked inhouse, this is what we did. No one had this selfish attitude I read on here. Pitiful to live life that way IMO.
No one tagged you for a misspelling, that is verboten. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I will say you can't come on here and make a statement and expect no one to have a contrary feeling. If you post an opinion, expect to get a few back.

I don't begrudge you the right to state your opinion, just that I would opt out of a group IM since I don't need help and don't get enough lines anyway to take my precious time to help anyone else.

That's your right, of course. I just think it is - a sad way to live SM
[ In Reply To ..]
to say you don't want to take your precious time to help anyone else. This attitude is prevalent everywhere, not just here, and IMO one of the reasons our country is the way it is today. Me, me, me, and only me. The heck with anyone else. Oh well.

oh, how wrong you are. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm currently working with 2 MTs who've been in acute care for about 30 years each, and the glaring, lazy errors they make are just embarrassing. One won't even put in periods to separate the sentences, let alone attempt a comma. She just puts the words in there, and oftentimes gets those wrong, too.

So you see, the caliber of the MT has nothing to do with the decades of experience listed on their resume, and they are NOT the "...MT heroes of this dying career."
Based on 2 MTs, you are making this - generalization? Nope. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Nope is right. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Nope, they are NOT the "...MT heroes of this dying career."

I'm not JUST working with 2 MTs. There are lots and lots of MTs on my accounts, but these 2 in particular have been in acute care about 30 years and they are making horrible mistakes. I also work with some newbies who are conscientious and thorough, and some who just don't care. I also work with some 10- to 15-year MTs who are superfast and accurate, and some who are lazy and sloppy.

I was NOT making a generalization. (Read the post to which I was replying and then read mine again.) I was simply pointing out to "buffy" that just because an MT is at or close to retirement age (implying that that MT has been an MT for all those years), doesn't mean that that MT is a thoughtful, conscientious, accurate, high-producing MT.

It was "buffy" who was making the generalization. I just showed her the error of her thinking.

Similar Messages:

Encouragement
Nov 12, 2009

First of all I have to say that the replies I received from my first post were very disheartening. Honestly I don't feel that your words were coming from a helping nature but rather from a selfish one by pushing others, trying to excel in this business, out of the way because you've been there and don't feel it has a need for new MT's.  Sorry your wrong! This is a growing industry and I feel sad for you that you've been working it so long that you are bitter. Don't ...

A Little Encouragement For The New
Apr 01, 2010

So I graduated in January of 09, it is March of 10 now. I have applied and tested with SEVERAL companies to no avail. Today I just received a mail to interview at the hospital where I did my externship for an MT position. The recruiter told me that I am her first choice out of the gate since I did a good job and I got such a good reference from the woman who supervised me during that time. I don't have the job yet and something may happen who knows, but here is my encouragement. Do not get ...

We All Need Encouragement.
Feb 10, 2013

Hi all!.  I have been perusing this site for a while now, and would like to say a few things.  A lot of people are struggling right now through no fault of their own.  They come here to get things off of their chest and to hopefully find a little support from fellow transcriptionists.  A lot of times what they get is hostility, name calling, etc.    You never know what else is going on in someone's life at the time they post.  Sure, there are people ...

A Word Of Encouragement
Jun 26, 2014

Just about a year ago, I was fired/laid off from M-Modal because I had missed so much work because I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.  I had undergone months of chemotherapy after a pelvic exenteration which nearly killed me.  Thus, when I could work, I was not very productive.  Anyway, M-Modal decided to go ahead and fire me me, knowing they could discharge my lawsuit in their bankruptcy (which they did.) I was pretty scared.  I did not know then whether or not I would re ...

Encouragement And/or Opinions Wanted
Feb 27, 2010

Hey all, I'm seriously thinking about dropping MQ and transcription in general as the outlook looks grim.  I was thinking of going to school as a pharmacist.  If anybody knows what such job is like and can give me their opinion and maybe some encouragement to make such a move, I would appreciate it.  TIA! ...