A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

A little encouragement for the new - Yearbie

Posted: Apr 01, 2010

So I graduated in January of 09, it is March of 10 now. I have applied and tested with SEVERAL companies to no avail. Today I just received a mail to interview at the hospital where I did my externship for an MT position. The recruiter told me that I am her first choice out of the gate since I did a good job and I got such a good reference from the woman who supervised me during that time. I don't have the job yet and something may happen who knows, but here is my encouragement. Do not get discouraged although trust me I have had my share of disappointments with this field. My friend I met while in college landed her first job right out of school and still works there. It was her externship site as well. I would like to place a strong emphasis on doing well at your externship site. Be the absolute best person you can be and take in everything they give you. Make friends and network because I have talked with several MT's and that is where they have gotten their start. I have no doubts I would have already been working there had they not downsized the whole department a year ago. Now this is not the gospel just my observation. Point that I am trying to make is that some get hired right out of school, some don't. Some have to complete rigorous testing some don't. It is all a learning process and if you are truly aspiring to be an MT and make it don't get discouraged. It will come. I will post back and let you know if I actually got the job or not. Take care all.

encouragement for the new - Rene

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so happy for you!! I'll keep you in my prayers that all goes well for you!! Rene

Thank you - IYearbie

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate it.

Yearbie - AV

[ In Reply To ..]
So happy to read someone somewhat new is actually possibly in line for a job, I have been reading these blogs and as an almost graduated newbie from a community college, it is discouraging to hear and read that new MTs are not sought after. We need the experience but no one will give us the opportunity to gain the experience. I wish you the best of luck and will say a prayer for you. I am being mentored you could say by someone now, and I thank God she has opened the door for me somewhat to gain some experience. I agree with you to keep your doors open, gain everything you can from your experience big or small, do your best at the externship dont's burn your bridges on your way to some day getting what you have worked so hard for, whether it be from a community college, online training or on the job training to be an MT.

Similar Messages:

Encouragement
Nov 12, 2009

First of all I have to say that the replies I received from my first post were very disheartening. Honestly I don't feel that your words were coming from a helping nature but rather from a selfish one by pushing others, trying to excel in this business, out of the way because you've been there and don't feel it has a need for new MT's.  Sorry your wrong! This is a growing industry and I feel sad for you that you've been working it so long that you are bitter. Don't ...

No Encouragement
Dec 30, 2012

Is it just me or is Nuance a company that discourages help from another MT for word finding, etc.?  It is a joke.  No one to IM, no one to ask.  I say to the QA that feed the info Fiesa, scre* you all!  You ding us just to keep your hourly pay sitting there all day. ...

We All Need Encouragement.
Feb 10, 2013

Hi all!.  I have been perusing this site for a while now, and would like to say a few things.  A lot of people are struggling right now through no fault of their own.  They come here to get things off of their chest and to hopefully find a little support from fellow transcriptionists.  A lot of times what they get is hostility, name calling, etc.    You never know what else is going on in someone's life at the time they post.  Sure, there are people ...

A Word Of Encouragement
Jun 26, 2014

Just about a year ago, I was fired/laid off from M-Modal because I had missed so much work because I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.  I had undergone months of chemotherapy after a pelvic exenteration which nearly killed me.  Thus, when I could work, I was not very productive.  Anyway, M-Modal decided to go ahead and fire me me, knowing they could discharge my lawsuit in their bankruptcy (which they did.) I was pretty scared.  I did not know then whether or not I would re ...

Encouragement And/or Opinions Wanted
Feb 27, 2010

Hey all, I'm seriously thinking about dropping MQ and transcription in general as the outlook looks grim.  I was thinking of going to school as a pharmacist.  If anybody knows what such job is like and can give me their opinion and maybe some encouragement to make such a move, I would appreciate it.  TIA! ...