A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Speech system quality declining! - CuriousMT

Posted: Mar 11, 2014

I've seen a few complaints about the speech system quality going down over the past couple months, but this week it just keeps getting worse and worse.  First off, it's leaving off entire sentences now.  As in, things that these doctors say on every single report, yet it decides that it doesn't need to be there. 

Then periods are gone.  It seems to think that periods are no longer important at the end of paragraphs, and when some of these doctors put a paragraph after every sentence, that's a lot of periods!

Now, I recognize it's our job to edit and our job to fix these things, but when we're taking longer to fix these thigns and typing whole sentences that are missing, then it's no longer efficient and we cannot do twice the work in half the time that they're expecting us to do!

Oh, and my TSM doesn't care.  I've told her multiple times, and I don't even get a response anymore!

The difference is - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You were using Apple software (part of the Siri) system before. You are now using Dragon. Originally developed by Dragon Systems of Newton, Massachusetts, and later acquired by Nuance. There is a big difference between the quality of the two.

Apple vs Dragon????? Are you crazy? - Fading fast

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know where you got your information, but I've been working here for > 6 years and have been here since the beginning of VR. They have NEVER used "Apple"/"Siri" software. In fact, they have never used "Dragon" software--- which I have often wondered about since it is supposed to be so perfect, yet they do not allow their account/hospitals/doctors to use it. I personally am stuck with Enterprise Express Editor (which sucks worse than any of you have ever described in your posts!) Even when I work on a PS 5.0 acct, the VR is getting worse and worse; same with PS 360! So, Excuse Me! But it's got nothing to do with Apple or Siri or Dragon! (If only we were so lucky to have those!!!)

your experience is limited by your account(s) - YD

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance certainly does use Dragon, which it owns. Anyone who works on the Escription (AKA EditScript) platform uses the Dragon speech engine. Dragon is so much better, in my opinion, than whatever speech engine was used with the old BeyondTxt platform. Sometimes there are inexplicable problems, but for the most part Dragon does a pretty good job. Unfortunately, it sounds like you are stuck with a bad speech engine because of the platform you're using, and the platform usually depends on the specific client's wishes, i.e., the client may already have invested lots of $$ in a certain platform and is not willing to change.
Siri <> Dragon! - CuriousMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Like the above reply, I don't know where you got your information, but many sources show that Siri and Apple's speech engine was purchased and built off of Nuance/Dragon's speech engine.

And as for Dragon... it's all the same software. The back side speech recognition programming is the same for both what we currently use and the Dragon on the shelf. The difference lies in commands and such... like, in Dragon, you can say things like "scratch that" or "delete that last sentence." They just add extra programming on top of the actual speech engine, but the basics of deciphering words, sentence structure, etc are all the same.

Now... for the person talking about ExEditor. I, too, am on ExEditor and deal with it's issues day in and day out. I've not used many of the others, so I can't really compare, but at least we get to type in Word. I hate the programs that make you type in their own text editing box. I'd much rather just straight type in Word, have my autocorrect items set, etc.

Speech system decline - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Editing IMO is roughly 45% now for a great deal of reports, some reports 65%. One would think that in a production based job, where they use their figures and formulas to determine our pay based on the percentage of editing, length of dictation, degree of ESL/account specifics, emails, etc., this would not be going on, especially with technology today. IMO, I think some of these things with the drafts are intentional. They are programmed by them. If we miss any of them, it reduces the chance of a bonus. Even the medications are misspelled a great deal.

Misspelled medications, etc. - CurioustMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I had totally forgotten about all the medications that get misspelled. For instance, the speech engine has never, as in not once, gotten "Plaquenil" correct. It types some totally different medication every time!

And propranolol, for some reason it misspells that too.

Now, I know that at least for the Plaquenil one that we are ALL catching that. How can you not when it's a totally different drug (not just missing an "o" or an "l" with propranolol), so is it really "learning?"

And formatting! How can it learn some formatting, such as putting an empty line between paragraphs, and it will catch some headings, but some of the other headings that are dictated on EVERY report just get lost in the weeds.

These are things that they can and should fix. These are things they calculated into our pay to say that we're only worth $0.04 CPL, but when we're fixing all these things that they say are already done for us, they should be giving us a lot more.

Of course, that's based off the $0.08 CPL that we've been getting paid for DECADES! Decades... Think about that. What other job, even horrible, back-breaking work that noone wants has had to increase some in the last 20 years. But us? Nope. We get a pay cut.

Speech system decline - ANON2

[ In Reply To ..]
And notice too that their spell checker does not catch the errors! My spellchecker is set to show errors as I type, but these never show incorrect, and if I didn't know they were wrong and change them....wonder what spellchecker QA uses..isn't it the same as ours? Just doesn't add up.

declining - I agree

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh how true, it is declining. I googled escription last week, and called the number and of course got Nuance, and asked to speak to someone about the platform and she said she could help me. I asked her who ever came up with this CRAP should be put in front a firing squad, and this is not in any way shape or form very MT friendly, and the only ones getting rich as the MTSO and Nuance for this CRAP. We have to change every line, it does not know dates, and can't spell, and some of the stuff is puts it can be fatal to the patient unless we catch it. She asked for the hospital I work for and the account numnber so that she could have a rep call me, as there is just a minor adjustment that needs to be done on the system. Yeh, right!! It will take a lot more than just an adjustment. I am surprised that anyone even talked to me. One of my favorite ASR screwups.

ASR: Xarelto Chase.
DICTATED: Toronto BlueJays

Declining also agree - burnedoutco

[ In Reply To ..]
How can it be that even with crystal clear dictators, it gets so many numbers wrong? Also even with clear dictators the system likes to often, for example, if the dictator says he, the system has she,if the dictator says 5 the system does 10, without is with, leaves out no all the time, one and on and on. I have also noticed just absolutely crazy nonsensical sentences even when something that makes sense has been dictated. Med lists are just a nightmare, everything has to be changed. It would really be easier to just type a lot of these reports and I think maybe a lot more accurate than all this deleting, retyping, etc. It is getting worse and so it is definitely not MT friendly.

I've posted this before but just for fun - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't get VR to get "afebrile" right in my reports. I have created a shortcut for that word I have to correct it so often ("af2")

The only upside to ths is - We will have a job

[ In Reply To ..]
until India takes them all, should we choose to accept this job for whatever reason.

Similar Messages:

Is DocQvoice Only A Speech Recognition System?
Jan 13, 2012

Is DocQvoice only a speech recognition system?  I have a very good lead on a job working directly for a small hospital, but was just told by the woman who already works for them that they are going to DocQvoice.  Right now it is all straight transcription on a Lanier system with a VXP player.  She doesn't seem to think it would be speech recognition because she doesn't think the doctors would go for it.  Also, I'm not sure I'm interested in the job if it's not straig ...

Anyone Heard Of A Backend Speech Recognition System
Aug 09, 2011

that I THINK might be 3M- I don't know, everyone here at the hospital just calls it BESR- they say it is a new program but it just seems almost like some generic deal.   I have used Escription in the past and by now (6 months into it) Escription was putting out decent drafts that required little changing, and this one we have is still putting out reports that are as bad as the beginning- it puts in words that sound nothing like what the doctor says, and when a beeper goes off or t ...

Declining MQ
Nov 22, 2011

I also am one that is declining the offer letter from MQ after Execuscribe was bought out.  Was very disappointed as had only been with the company for about a month and really liked working for them.  Had worked for MQ previously for about 6 years and the last 2 years there were a nightmare.  Don't need anymore of that stress.  Told my leader I would finish out this week but just don't feel much like working, no loyalty whatsoever to MQ and really don't care i ...

New Quality Index Vs Old Quality Score
Oct 18, 2014

I ran an error report for all reports, all accounts on my platform for this quarter, 10/1 - 10/18. So far the Quality Index is 84% vs Quality Score 99.18%.  Didn't they advertise this new error scoring as working out in our favor?  Doesn't look like it to me. This is based on 2194 jobs and 105,358 lines audited on E5.  I checked the box that says view all corrections on the correction report. ...

Camus System? (computer System)
Dec 26, 2013

I cannot find documentation on this.  The context appears to be the imaging and labs and the doctors have been dictating the system is down.  Thank you for any help! ...

Had QA Correct Me On Speech Therapy To Speech Therapy
Jun 03, 2013

The phrase is She will be evaluated by PT, OT and speech therapy, corrected to She will be evaluated by PT, OT and Speech Therapy.  I thought it was only capitalized in when followed by a proper name like Montana Central Hospital Speech Therapy.    Thanks.  ...

Hyphen ... Providing High Quality Care OR High-quality Care
Oct 06, 2011

... providing high quality care OR high-quality care. I did it one way and the dictating NP says it should be the other way.  I have to do it her way but I would appreciate hearing from some fellow MT professionals. Thanks for any input.     ...

Speech Q
Aug 09, 2012

when you look at the reports you have in QUEUE and the status of the report says CONTEXT ADAPTATION ADMINISTRATOR, what does this mean, and why am I not getting paid for these reports??? ...

Speech Rec
Sep 05, 2012

Question--Has anyone tried beating them at their own game by purchasing their own speech rec system, installing it, and re-dictating what the dictators have said?  Has it worked for you?  Did you increase your productivity?  What system did you use?  Looking for info.  Thanks! ...

What Speech Rec Said
Nov 24, 2014

Speech Editing.
Oct 15, 2009

My quality has gone down since the clinic that I work at started this.   We use Dictaphone Extext.  Anyway, I must be going too fast or something because I seem to miss things.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I have started reading over my reports myself now before sending them through and I asked my supe if they have improved.  She said yes, but I still am making mistakes and she will send me my reports back shortly.  The only thing else I know t ...

Speech Consult - Thanks Much!
Jan 20, 2010

1) is this the correct way to type the weighted score of 1+3 in this paragraph??  The weighted values for speech symptoms associated with velopharyngeal incompetence, (McWilliams and Phillips) were completed today.  Overall, he received a weighted score of 1 + 3, indicative of a competent-to-borderline competent velopharyngeal mechanism.     ...

Speech Q For Radiology? What's That? Nm
Mar 18, 2010

. ...

Speech Description
Aug 18, 2010

speech is slightly [s/l dysarsik] ...

What Is Exactly Is VR/speech Recognition?
Sep 14, 2010

Hello, I am a new MT and learned transcription from cassette tapes and Express Scribe. Can someone tell me what voice recognition is and how is it used in transcription?  ...

You Know, MQs Speech Wreck Is Bad Enough
Nov 01, 2010

we have dictators who compose sentences such as this: "A xx-year-old female accompanied by daughter in secondary to within the last week has run out of her amlodipine, Prozac and clonidine anywhere from 3-5 days ago each of these." I kid you not, that is what this doctor said.  American doc, speaking clear English.  Now tell me, what am I supposed to do with that?  It is a verbatim account, but the last time I let some gobbly gook like that go through I got chewed out for it (!) ...

Speech Impediments
Sep 14, 2011

This is a first for me.  The doc is NOT ESL.  But, it took me quite a while to figure out what she was saying when I heard, "The patient lickscrapitus in his knee."  Later on, I realized that she was has difficulty with pronouncing some A's and E's correctly.  So, the "lickscrapitus" was "lacks crepitus", which is also a rather odd way of making the statement, IMHO. Why don't the facilities/MTSOs notify the MTs when there is a doc on the account with certain s ...

Speech Recog With OO
Sep 13, 2011

I'm starting to do MT @ home and come from an office that used no speech recog. Only have OO and wondering what software is the best for speech recog that is compatible. Thanks! ...

Speech Wreckognition
Sep 14, 2011

Does anyone know of any company that does NOT use speech wreckognition.  I dont care what they say about once you are used to it you can do twice as much in the same amount of time.  I have NEVER found that to be true.  What I do find to be true is it takes me just as long, sometimes longer to clean up the mess it makes and I do it for half the pay.   Let me just say how much I DO NOT LOVE averaging about 4.00/hour cleaning up after speech wreckognition.  And yes, I ...

New To Webmedx And Speech Rec For That!
Nov 01, 2011

Ok very new to WBX and speech rec and not sure what to think!   How long did it take others to get accustomed to their platform and editing VR? I could transcribe at least 200+ lph at my previous job via straight transcription, but my highest since working here has only been 100 ughhhh! I'm so unsure of this!  Guess I'm looking for encouragement that it will get better and/or easier!!  Any tips?  I just downloaded the free trial of IT7 and am h ...

Speech Motion
Dec 19, 2011

Is anyone familiar with this software?  Thanks so much! ...

ExText Speech
May 24, 2012

Can anyone tell me where to find a copy of the shortcut keys for ExText.  I had no training on it outside of the basics and was never given any shortcuts keys/commands and I am sure there are a lot of things I could be doing better.  Any help is definitely appreciated. ...

Speech Motion VR
Jun 28, 2012

Is there anyone using the Speech Motion VR platform that can give some honest feedback - good and bad, and what kind of line counts to expect.  How long have you been on it?  Is there a considerable increase in productivity, turnaround?  Thank you.  MT's only please respond. ...

Looking For Job That Does Not Use Speech Wreck
Sep 29, 2012

I worked for Spheris for 4 years and it was great. Mmodal took over almost a year ago and changed everyone to speech wreck, took Outlook email away and put us on some horrible slow email system and now it takes at least 30 minutes of wait time to get the Help Desk on the phone. I am looking for a new position that is straight transcription. If anyone knows of one, PLEASE let me know!!!! Speech wreck has caused by paycheck to be cut in 1/3 at least. Thanks! ...

What Chart Net Is Like To Use As Far As Speech?
Oct 17, 2012

Can anyone tell me what Chart Net is like to use as far as speech?  I've been thinking of joining MM, but have no experience with Chart Net, and am a little concerned as they are only offering 4 cents a line on speech jobs!  I've also heard that it counts lines at 70 or 75 characters instead of 65 and am wondering if this is correct too?  Thanks. ...

Another Speech Wreck
Nov 03, 2012

As per usual, SR came up with a medical worde for a non-medical word and used it throughout a report.  Think about what might sound like "peanuts" and substitute that in sentences like "the patient was allergic to peanuts,"  "She ate some peanuts." ...

Ok, Which One Of You Trained The Speech Rec To Put
Dec 12, 2012

What on earth??? ...

All Work Going To Speech
Jan 04, 2013

I am hearing from some that by 2014 all medical transcription, maybe just the at home work is required by law to go to speech recognition?  Has anyone else heard this?  I figured it is just up to the individual companies to decide whether they choose for the work to be done straight or by speech recognition.  If this is so, all of us at home workers won't have a choice and if we want to do medical work we will be forced into speech.  ...

Speech Wreck 101
Aug 16, 2014

hypo in a tree mix = hyponatremic   I wish we could bombard the emails of the powers that be and show them the crap that comes out of their famous speech recognition :o) ...

This Is From Speech Therapy Consult
Oct 27, 2009

she is very easy to understand and likes using lots of "hard" words.  She keeps repeating this type of sentence - He showed difficulty when given a simple two-sentence scenario and asked questions s/l "per ren".  He appeared to have difficulties understanding simple, "who questions," s/l "per ren".    any help always much appreciated!  ...