A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Clocking in and clocking out - we can do that?

Posted: May 29, 2013

So, some of you talk like clocking in and clocking out is a matter of routine... are we not supposed to stay clocked in all the time?  Is this not necessary if you want to earn that big MINIMUM WAGE PAYCHECK because there is no work? 

Someone, please, set me straight!  I want to earn my own MINIMUM WAGE PAYCHECK as soon as possible! 

No, you don't stay clocked in all - the time

[ In Reply To ..]
But I think you already know that.

Should I stay clocked in even when there is no work? - Ireallywantatleastminimumwage

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess I should have asked that clocking in and out question a little more directly.

If I want to earn at least a 40-hour-per-week paycheck (albeit at mimimum wage), I should be staying clocked in at all times (except for breaks), right?

I mean, for instance, if I am clocked in only when actually working, I might end up with only 28 hours most weeks and have to take PTO to get to 40 or just accept whatever line count I can make during that 28 hours. If I really, really, really want at least a minimum wage income for all 40 hours I am SCHEDULED TO BE WORKING, should I be staying clocked in except during required by law breaks, even when there is no work?

I really, really, really need at least minimum wage for at least all 40 hours per week. Tell me how to get this at Nuance!

minimum wage - no $

[ In Reply To ..]
Stay clocked in, even for breaks if you want to. Not mandatory to clock out for those per handbook. When you clock out select on the drop down OOW so they know why your line count is so low and they have to pay minimum wage. I have done this for 2 pay period now and they must make up the minimum wage time but they do not like to do this and you'll most likely get a spanky for it.

Here's the scoop..... - coollady

[ In Reply To ..]
When you run out of work you can hit the "out of work" option or just clock in/out. All depends on how much you want your paycheck affected.

If you get MUP pay more than 3 paychecks in a row - they can fire you

[ In Reply To ..]
You will be given a warning after 3 consecutive pay periods that have $100 or more MUP on them and if you do it again, you will be fired.
getting fired for MUP - runner13
[ In Reply To ..]
First, how do you know that to be true? Secondly, how can they legally fire you if you can't produce because they don't have the work to sustain you and expect you to be available to work?
"How can they legally fire you if you can't produce?" - theydonotseemtocareaboutlegality
[ In Reply To ..]
As far as I can tell, they really don't seem to care about legality at Nuance. They simply keep certain HR people on payroll and do as they please, I guess!
I know because I have been threatened that I will be fired - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Just passing on my personal experience.

If you stay clocked in when you aren't typing it makes your line count go down. If you end up getting MUP pay over $100 for 3 consecutive pay periods you will be warned and given a brief period of time to get your "lines" up.

Technically you are being fired for not being able to achieve line count not for getting make-up pay.

okay, but if there isn't any work during your shift then they can't - fire you for no work
[ In Reply To ..]
x
If OOW a lot, they usually give you a secondary (or 3 or 4). - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I have 5 "secondary" accounts, so OOW isn't my main cause of MUP.

The problem I have is that I have to pop between all of those accounts, which means signing out and logging back in to Escription (which takes several minutes), then each account has different acct specs.

It seems like Nuance has really stupid and inept IT people, as it should be possible to access all available accounts without all of the logging in and out. Then of course there are the QC/QA evil-ones, as, again, switching from account to account ups the odds of getting MAJOR error and eliminating you from bonus contention.

In a nutshell, Nuance just is not the most MT friendly company.
Moved someone into my time slot so I would run out of work on it - andeliminatedabonusofcourseonanewaccount
[ In Reply To ..]
Has anyone else proven that someone else was put on your account (after you) while you were running out of work so that you will get fed up and quit? Did it make any difference, or did the heartless TSM just move you anyway, knowing that you were going to starve completely to death and lose your house when she did it?

No.. when you run out of work, - you immediately

[ In Reply To ..]
contact by email your team lead AND your "group" email. (If you don't HAVE a group email, ask your team lead what it is.) Wait 15 minutes and if no one responds to your out of work email (and KEEP this email for YOUR documentation) THEN you clock out and use the OOW option on your time card. Then, you can decide if you want to come back later and try again, or just take the night off and make up time (IF YOU CHOOSE) later. Yes, you can also choose to have a smaller paycheck.
That's good for the company - not good
[ In Reply To ..]
but what if your life dictates that you cannot work 12 hours or more to make a single 8 hour day? And you need to make the money? What then? You must sit and wait for work. You stay clocked in and collect minimum wage. The company is obligated to you to provide work within your contracted shift, as you are to the company to show up for your shift. The obove poster is obviously not an MT but from management.
Brilliant business strategy, really gotta give 'em credit where credit is due - foreverythingexceptrespect
[ In Reply To ..]
Simple human respect, let alone respect for the the fact that we are EMPLOYEES, would go far in convincing me that anyone at Nuance knows and cares AT ALL about anything except the major stockholders. Forget about the few of us that might be "shareholders," we do not hold a candle to the billionaire software moguls who cannot fathom waking up in a real house on a real street (or back seat of the car) when the house gets foreclosed upon.

Clocking in and out - Double Edged Sword

[ In Reply To ..]
They constantly harp on clocking in and out, but here's the thing - if you show up for work and there is no work - case law has been set in the lawbooks for "downtime," as a matter of record in a lawsuit in the late 1990s against a company called EDIX. EDIX was sued for this and had to reimburse those people for their standby time with no work.

Now, Nuance thinks they are clever by asking you to punch out, and "flex" those hours, but seriously, if you worked at any other 40-hour-a-week job as a W4 employee, would they make you punch out, have a seat and wait until customers show up to punch back in and wait on them? Your time is worth something, and as that lawsuit said, 'if you are scheduled to work, show up ready and available for work, if there is no work - the company is liable for your wages and reimbursement of downtimne.'

Of course, if you don't punch out, your line count will reflect that and they can fire you. If you refuse to "flex" your time they will fire you, but if your documentation is in order, they'll be in deep water with Wage and Hour, and will have to pay your unemployment benefits.

Similar Messages:

Clocking Out OOW?
May 30, 2013

Got an email earlier this week about the OOW situation, how we are supposed to do regular clock out if we intend to make up the time or clock out OOW if we are not planning to make up the time.  Anybody know what's the difference?  I am OOW now and planning to clock out soon.  I already have time from earlier this week I can't make up and now this.  Just want to know what it means.  Thanks. ...

Clocking Out For KS
May 31, 2013

Did anyone else receive an email from their coordinator about clocking in and out when there is no work on an account?  Maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm assigned a shift and I'm there looking for work, how can I be made to clock out?  If I have to be available in case there is work those 8 hours, I should be paid those 8 hours and be on the clock, right?  That email seems fishy to me.  If there are no customers in line at Burger King, employees don't clock out ...

Anybody Else Having Probs Clocking In Or Out?
Nov 12, 2012

Cannot seem to get into Alphastaff to clock out?  Anyone else having problem? ...

I Don't Mind Clocking In And Out
Dec 02, 2014

I don't mind clocking in and out, everyone has to do that, but if there is down time that needs to be added to my timecard or the like then that should be their job not ours.  I don't have time for all this unpaid crap. I just want to clock in and do my work then clock out and forget about the rest.  They get paid the big bucks to take care of our timecards if there are additions that need to be added. ...

Regarding Clocking In/out Right To The Minute, Or Being Locked Out..
Mar 06, 2010

You are all ready to clock in at precisely the scheduled time only to lose internet connection.  This has happened to me many times, and by the time I have unplugged and replugged and reset modem, and that doesn't work, so had to get on phone with internet tech support, 30 minutes or more have passed by....then what?    OR,  if the power goes out, which can be anywhere from a quick flash on and off to longer....then what?   OR, when getting close to end of shift ...

Been Clocking In And Out On My Card Whenever There Isn't Work
Feb 21, 2013

I'm tired of being clocked in and my benefit rate suffering for it so I am clocking in and out. It will probably affect my PTO since I am part time and don't get any anyway but oh well. It looks like I will be using my benefit rate a lot more than PTO what with all this NJA going on ...

From Thread Below, Clocking Out For Potty Break?
Jan 20, 2011

I never clock out for breaks.  Am I supposed to?  I am scheduled for 4 hours at a time with a 1-hour break in the middle.  If I clock out for a break, don't I have to make up the time at the end of my shift?  I don't wanna do that.  I take a break whenever I feel like it.  I can't type 4 hours straight.  How does it work for everybody else? ...

I Am Thinking Of Clocking In Under Work Availability While
Apr 25, 2013

If I am sitting at my computer waiting for jobs to come in every 5-13 minutes, I should be paid. I should not have to be penalized by an adverse effect on my line count if I were to stay clocked in as production. Waiting for jobs while clocked out is still being on the job if you are signed into Fluency. So, the way I figure, you are still working, but off the clock. Plus, as proof that you are working off the clock, your Fluency log in time will be greater than your clocked in time. ...

When Clocking Out For Breaks, How Do You Make Up Time?
Oct 21, 2013

If I clock out to go to the bathroom, how do I make up the time and stay within my "scheduled hours"?  Just wondering how everyone else works this out.  Apparently, they no have a perfomance checker to correlate when clocked in and actually on what you are doing in DQM now.  Also, does anyone know how to check the time worked in DQM? ...

Left Double *clocking* System In The Left Kidney Repaired. Thanks. Nm
Jan 19, 2010

nm ...