A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

QA Curiosity - oMT

Posted: Apr 13, 2012

I was wondering what the general requirement to be considered for a QA/QC position is. I know I am far from it as I have less than a year of experience, but I'm just curious. I'm always looking for ways to advance in my career, if possible. If you're already employed/contracted, do you apply for the position if it opens or will the position be offered?

Personally... - Acute Care MT/QA

[ In Reply To ..]
I personally wouldn't touch the position without at least 3 years full time acute care experience.

I was offered via e-mail that there was a job opening, but there is never any harm in asking your supervisor.

Thank you for the response - oMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It is much appreciated. I will give it more thought when I get more experience under my belt. Thanks again.

I was simply offered the position - McFeist

[ In Reply To ..]
I was asked by my company if I wanted to join the QA team after a couple of years there. They were expanding the team and asked the MTs they felt were qualified. I turned it down, though, because I wanted to get my CMT first. Later, after sitting for and passing the CMT exam, I found out the position is on production and only pays half the MT rate, and I would never do QA for that kind of pay, ever, at least not at my current company. There are just too many responsibilities that go along with QA, like mentoring MTs, doing evening stats when no one picks them up in a timely manner, etc.

Interesting perspective - oMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I had assumed that being potentially "promoted" to a higher position, such as QA, would also come with an increase in pay rate. It's unfortunate to hear/read about it being only half, but it's good to know. It's also interesting to know the other responsibilities that come with the position.

Thanks for sharing your input, and congratulations on your CMT! :-)

Thank you (SM) - McFeist

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the congrats!

That is just in my particular situation, about doing QA work. It could be different in other companies. The only advantage I could see in doing QA in my company is for my resume, and also it would be a great learning experience, but I am past the point of doing work for the learning experience only and not getting any monetary benefit as well.

Similar Messages:

Out Of Curiosity...
Nov 27, 2014

Who do you send your resignation letter to... just the TSM/team lead person or others as well? Also, how much notice do you think it would take to get a decent reference from Nuance? Would one week be sufficient? Thanks...  ...

Reference Books - Out Of Curiosity
Jul 19, 2011

Hello, MTs! I am back for another question! I do have a list of books I'm interested in purchasing from either Dorland's or Stedman's medical dictionary to Merck Manual's of Patient Symptoms (the list goes on, but I'm just naming a couple). Google is so wonderful when it comes to researching when you don't have anything, but I feel it's not completely reliable as having hardcopy materials. Out of curiosity, what book(s) can you not live without or work without ...

AssistMed People....Just Out Of Curiosity
Sep 27, 2012

Just out of curiosity, have you all gotten your paychecks deposited??  I have not seen any new posts, so can assume that you have, but would just like to have it acknowledged in some fashion.  Was anyone "shorted" pay except for the one poster below?  ...

Out Of Curiosity How Many Blanks Do You Leave
Jul 13, 2014

before you send to QA? We used to be told 4 or more send it, then it changed to whatever you think is best kind of thing. ...

Out Of Curiosity, Just Spent The Last 45 Min Listening To The DocQ 7 Tutes....sm
Dec 14, 2011

Holy Crow....I knew there were changes made, but didn't think that everything changed.  Nothing on the screen looks the same, starting with the log-in screen which is the only thing that looks simple to use.  There are stupid panels everywhere, top, bottom, left side, right side, and the poor text screen is kinda squished in the middle.  It looks waaaay more complicated than how it is now.  I just want to cry.  I really had no idea that it is basically going to invo ...