A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is going on with the firings? - Ex-MQer

Posted: Jun 14, 2011

I was considering going back to MQ because my current job (which I love) is going bye bye (very small local company).  Now I am wondering what the heck is up????   Why are they doing this?

Skim the fat, ship to India fast... - need fries?

[ In Reply To ..]
!

Just my opinion, but - I think

[ In Reply To ..]
that they are cutting down so the "suits" can claim "we don't have enough MTs in the US" so they, Kumar and the cronies, can send even more of our work to India.

I don't think they need to make up excuses - Just another working stiff

[ In Reply To ..]
to send the work to India, they (Indian-owned company) own the company and have made it very clear publicly they plan to send most of the work to India within the next couple of years. Of course they are cutting back American workers to do this, but not making any excuses for it, just setting difficult-to-meet standards to get rid of us to avoid having to pay unemployment with layoffs. If the Indian workers had such high standards, there would not be any Indian workers from what I have seen come through QA. The reality is that nothing can be done about it, so we either stay here or keep job hopping from company to company until all of them are owned by CBay. I need the job, so I am staying put instead of dealing with learning new accounts, etc., all the time. All the big companies are going the way of MQ/CBay anyway.

It's pretty simple, actually. - Please sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They are letting go of MTs who are not meeting production, quality and/or shift requirements.

It's that simple.

So, if you aren't making those requirements (and quality is now at 99%), then you better talk to your CCM immediately to see if you can correct the situation one way or another.

They are wanting only the MTs who can meet those requirements. Firing those who can't and hiring those who can.

Okay, then I have a question for YOU - Answer this then

[ In Reply To ..]
What if you have only been here, say, barely over 90 days. Quality is very good but production is low. Learning new accounts, new doctors, new specifics, everything new and different. Should you not be given a chance to make production? Do you not remember what it was like to be at a new company or change accounts?

I understand most of the ones that have posted have been there a long time. But what of us new folks (not new to MT, just new to the Q?

That happens about every 90 days. If you get - good at an account and

[ In Reply To ..]
even think about making money, you will get changed -- at least that has been my experience.

You have 90 days. Even if you MEET those requirements, if - Please sm

[ In Reply To ..]
you are not showing a consistent ability to maintain it, they won't keep you. Why should they?

There are too many who can/will be able to replace you. They are willing to roll that dice. They are the ones paying and making the rules.

I have a VERY hard time swallowing what you are saying... - Kiki1

[ In Reply To ..]
because it doesn't make sense. MQ doesn't care ONE BIT about quality EXCEPT that it can give them the perfect EXCUSE they need to fire w/o paying unemployment. From every step they take, every move they make, it's so obvious they do NOT care about quality or ANYTHING but making as much $$ for themselves as possible and are trying to get rid of as many of us as possible to be replaced by lower paid Indians. Hiking their requirements up is the perfect way for them to do this. Only small problem is that for the MTs in California, they will STILL have to pay unemployment, but not for most others . I know they are HOPING I will quit (I'm in CA).

Yea, from what states were the - terminated MTs?

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm from California, too.

They apparently DO care about quality since they upped the min quality score - to 99% now. Please sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It doesn't matter what has happened in the past.

What matters is what is happening now.

They want only MTs who can and will meet the (1) production, (2) quality and (3) schedule requirements they have.

It's a tougher competition out there for accounts than you are realizing. They want this and they will have it.

Thus, they are getting rid of anyone who doesn't meet these requirements. The sad thing is that most people got too complacent flying under the radar with not meeting those requirements and now the gig is up. Fair? Not really, because they haven't been consistent in their application of their own policies. BUT, that doesn't matter now.

They are continually hiring to find the MTs who can/will meet those requirements and add them to the MTs they are keeping on their workforce.

Do NOT mistake what I am saying about it being simple: It doesn't mean it isn't hurtful, devastating, etc. But it is simple.

Sooner or later you knew you would have to make those requirements. Anything less was a game of chance.

If you are making your requirements, they don't hope you will quit...they'll keep you. Sooner or later, though, if you don't make those requirements - it won't mean a hill of beans what state you are in -- they will let you go. And for cause.

It's unhappy news, I know. It's just not difficult to understand. Hard to accept maybe but not difficult to understand.

Sorry, I tried to see it that way, still disagree. - Kiki1
[ In Reply To ..]
I really wish I could believe that. I have NO problem with MQ wanting their MTs to keep their schedules and have excellent quality. Not one bit.

But just because they are raising the quality expectations to 99% is not proof that they care about quality. They just know it makes it that much easier to fail just about ANYONE at any time.

And even if that were the case, that they just wanted to keep only the best and get the rest from India (or whatever)...I still disagree with they way they are going about it....causing a lot of stress for the MTs. If they want to thin the masses, they should just do mass layoffs right NOW.
And one more thing.... - Kiki1
[ In Reply To ..]
If they cared about quality, they wouldn't encourage guessing by implementing that ridiculous less than 5% to QA or less pay requirement. No one wants to send to QA. Now, I have now problem with expecting MTs to do all the research necessary to produce a complete report, but being penalized across the board whether it's laziness (which SHOULD be penalized) or if you have poor sound quality, mush-mouthed dictators, or even WRONG dictators, is not right.

Just once again proves my point that they do NOT care so much about quality.
You don't have to agree, Kiki, but they are firing for it nonetheless. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Unfortunately - sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
After being terminated yesterday my CCM had someone from Human Resources call me today. He told me they were looking at a time period from March to April so even if you were given a CA (verbal, written, whatever) and improved your line counts and/or schedule compliance after that time period, they didn't look at that and it didn't matter. I went through the whole process and got my line counts ABOVE where they needed to be in the time given and it didn't matter because the decision was not based on what has gone on in the last month, only what had gone on in the time period between March and April. The CCMs didn't even know this was coming. He told me they needed to cut a certain number of MT's (I'm guessing because of recently lost accounts and accounts going overseas) and a group in operations made the decision on who to cut. He also encouraged me to file for unemployment and said he has been encouraging the other MTs he has spoken with to do the same.

I know my line count wasn't where it needed to be in March and April(I know now anyway). My problem wasn't with that. My problem was with the fact that I was given the CA and went through the steps and got my line count above where it needed to be and yet they terminated me anyway. I was assured it was a "business decision" and the CCMs had no idea about it and in fact, Human Resources didn't find out about it until last week.

Nice "business decision." Guess their CA policy means nothing.

Similar Messages:

TSM Firings. Sm
Jan 09, 2015

I suspected she would be, but hoped against all hopes that my TSM would not be fired.  Not only was she fired, but they did it in a cold, calculating way in a 5 minute conference call and once she hung up she was left with nothing.  No insurance.  No job.  No offer to even type for Nuance.  The only TSMs that were fired from my original company were the TSMs who were fighting for us or basically "wouldn't kiss ass."  She told me that she had hoped and prayed he ...

Don't Be Too Shocked By Christmas Layoffs And Firings
Dec 14, 2011

I used to work for a company that had an annual Christmas layoff. It was almost a joke with those of us who had survived the latest round. Most companies have a budget. In bad times they tend to run out of money at the end of the year. It's rotten and shows poor planning, but nobody should be shocked when it happens. ...

My Rant About The America's Pride Firings
Sep 04, 2012

I'm surprised there is no thread about the America's Pride firings last Friday. I've been with them for years, and for nearly two have been unable to get any decent work. Over a year ago I was put on a new account that they promptly lost. The other account I had transitioned to mostly VR with only a few jobs coming in. When I asked to be added to other accounts, I received no response. Recently I asked to be on the new DC account, then got a rather vague email saying that DC woul ...

WebmedX - VAST Layoffs, Now Firings, Even Of CMTs, 1/3 Pay
Oct 10, 2010

First continually and rapidly cutting our pay to nothing while we had to retrain on numerous systems, then mass layoffs of seasoned employees, even CMTs AND newbies, now they're trying this week to create reasons to let the rest of us go.  I think it's past time we look into A.) a class-action lawsuit and B.) go public with our outrage!  They cut our pay to nothing but continue to charge their CLIENTS too much so they lose accounts to MedQuist and start treating US like dirt? ...

Interesting Thought Re Audits, PM, Firings, And Quitting
Jul 24, 2014

MTs have been leaving this profession in significant numbers in the last few years due to the pay, the lack of work, companies going out of business, voice recognition, and especially at MM with audits, performance management, firings, and disgruntled employees.  At the same time, you seldom see or hear of new MTs signing up and going through the schools to get certified.  The New MTs board is a good indication.  You also seldom see advertisements these days for MT training (for g ...