A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Retired MT - notanMTanymore

Posted: Jan 28, 2015

I haven't been on this post in years, but decided to check it out.  I used to work for MedQuist/MModal from 2006 to 2012 and in that time the company had gone downhill.  I had to leave due to health problems, but believed the company's irregular and inconsistent rules and regulations contributed to that.  That aside, I want you to know that I always loved being an MT.  It was challenging to learn new things every day, listening to different doctors and doing my best to make sure the patient's health record was accurate.  I felt like it was my contribution to helping a total stranger in their goals of healthy living.  Money was secondary but absolutely necessary of course.  I became an MT back before it was hailed as "$60K working at home."  This never was the case with me, doing it for that grand money which I never saw anyway.  I really did it because I loved the job itself.  Unfortunately and sadly, this company took away that love by its unfair work ethics and moving so many accounts across the world to cheaper labor.  So many times I'd sit at my computer, assigned hours in the middle of the night, not getting any reimbursement, but needing to babysit my computer in case any work came across.  Then, a job would come across which I'd have done in a minute or two and get that whopping one dollar (give or take a few cents), only to sit there for another hour or two waiting for more work.  It drove me crazy, because while I didn't care that I was no longer getting $20 or $25 /hour, I at least needed to get something.  I had to support a family.  

I haven't done transcription in a couple of years and I miss it.  I really do.  I loved what I did and the challenges and my on-line coworkers.  Sadly this company grew too big for its own good and ruined that experience of making a difference in the medical field.  

Ironically the reason I went into this field 26 years ago was because my sister died at the age of 36 years old due to inaccurate medical records and the irresponsibility of a doctor and his office to record test results onto her medical file. I took it personally to make sure I would not do the same.  

Hope you'all at MModal are doing okay these days.  Don't forget that even though the company itself might be worthless to work for, the patients you serve need your expertise that can't come from a machine, but the intellect that you have gathered over the years.  

Similar Messages:

Semi Retired MT
Oct 21, 2010

I have been considering taking on a PT position with an MTSO at home.  Tested, passed and am being offered 10.5 cpl transcription, .7 cpl VR.  (I have never worked at home, retired a year ago from in-house company where I worked for 25+ years).  This rate seems generous by the board posting norms.  Is it a too good to believe situation?  Or should I take it?  (biggest co.  starts with an M...) ...

Retired And Not Looking Back
Aug 08, 2013

It has been a month since I retired. No more stress headaches. No more babysitting the computer to get my lines in. It was worth the $200 I lost each month for early retirement. I am still working 3 days a week,21/25 hours but much, much less stress. This is the last time I will be visiting this site. I wish you all good luck in the future. If you enjoy working for MModal then you are lucky. To all those unhappy there, I hope you find a better job and that you are happy. Good luck a ...

Retired 3 Weeks Ago...I Am Free!!! Smg
Mar 12, 2014

After 49-1/2 years in this profession (slavery lately) I decided to retire 6 months earlier than planned.  I really agonized over whether I had made the right decision and wondered if I would miss working. Well, I don't one bit!!   I can now actually sit down and enjoy my morning cupo of jo, I can walk to the bathroom to pee and not run to get back to the KB, no longer have to worry as to whether my timesheet punches are accurate, and most importantly, I don't ...

Retired 10 Working Days Early
Jul 17, 2013

Well, after last thursday night such bad dictators and made no money--so just getting min wage, I finally retired 10 working days early.  So sad when you can make more money working 25 hours a week in a grocery store as a customer service rep, cashier, and working on self-scans.  Such a relief to get away from this company.  Hope you all have a good summer and I am out of here.  ...