A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Ranting and Raving - TRA hearing

Posted: Mar 16, 2010

My appeals hearing was held regarding my initial TRA denial due to the fact that I quit and was not "laid off."  The hearing officer could not say enough bad things about Medquist and the fact that they were covering up their lack of work for employees by reducing wages again and again.  We may not be able to fight back collectively, but the petition #72153 has given us something we should take.

what does that mean? - given us something we should take

[ In Reply To ..]
So we have to quit, apply for TAA, get denied, file an appeal, present case (how on earth do you do that?), and then WHAT???

Are you approved now or something?

Seems like a long, drawn out process and what do I do to put food on the table in the meantime?

putting food on the table? - TRA hearing

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you putting any food on the table at 3cpl? TRA is 52 weeks of unemployment insurance and Two years of schooling for retraining.

52 weeks unemployment/2 years school - amd

[ In Reply To ..]
How do you apply for that? Is is unemployment? Do you have to be fired or laid off? Can you get it with a worker's comp claim. I had 20 years experience in hospital and clinic coding but then I went to transcription only for the past 7 years so I need a brush-up course and to get my CCS. A hospital here in Oregon is hiring 28.00 an hour plus 2,500 sign-on bonus, desperate for coders with experience. I am going back to school somehow. I can't afford it that's why I want to know what TRA/TAA is and how do you apply?
TAA = Trade Adjustment Assistance - CA-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Go to your Employment Development Department in your state and ask the person there to let you speak to the person in charge of TAA. Also, check out what the webmaster of this site has done for us - scroll to the top of this Medquist blog and click on the link about it.
TAA - amd
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you have to be on unemployment?
Yes - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Either unemployment, have a letter from your employer saying that you will be laid off, or have your work reduced to 80% of your previous salary/work hours, and, most importantly, this is all as a result of your work being offshored.

BTW - the unemployment you get with TAA is only after conventional unemployment (which now is almost 2 years) is exhausted. In other words, you have already been unemployed for 2 years.
TAA - AMD
[ In Reply To ..]
One of the links above with regard to retraining MQ is not valid and the other one is a petition that requires 3 people that work at the same company to sign it. I am not to that point yet am I. Don't I have to file for unemployment first? I am on performance management for not producing enough lines and not keeping my scheduled hours. I also have a work comp case open for tendinitis/carpal tunnel. Tbus the reason for the above leading to performance management. I have a verbal, next one is written at end of this pay period. Next is termination. Advise? I have not seen the WC doctor yet.
Use the SEARCH function at top of page -- - Type in TAA or TIA for more info
[ In Reply To ..]
The search will provide you with detailed information on all the questions you just asked. Use the SEARCH function because so many people have asked these same questions, and I'm sure some of the responses will help provide more clarity. There is also information about your state and regional TIA contacts, etc. If you can prove that your pay has been decreased over the past year(s) but you are doing same amount of work, just go ahead and apply for unemployment online. Then, make an appointment to speak with someone at your local Workforce Development or StopOne Career Center. You can apply for unemployment online or just make an appointment to get information at our local office about applying. If you need further assistance, locate your state in the TIA/TAA directory, then contact your regional director on what you should do about getting TIA assistance. ALL the directors are aware MQ MTs/MMEs were having difficulty with getting TIA/TAA. Steps were taken prevent this problem. Just use the SEARCH function at top of page to get more info.
TAA - amd
[ In Reply To ..]
My salary has already been reduced by more than 50% compared to when I first started when there was no ASR and then even more than they reduced ASR rate. I don't know about 80 percent though.
TAA - AMD
[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.jobvent.com/medquist-job-reviews-C6892?PageNum=3

Still not sure, do you have to have been laid off during those dates to qualify or can I apply now if my pay has been cut in half or more
You can still apply -- what state are you in? Make appointmentto apply in person to explain MQ - salary drop-- NJA, etc
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I do not understand. Are you talking about TAA? - Are you saying to file anyway?

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you lose your case?

Can we try to quit and fight MQ? Why can't some law firm fight MQ if it is even obvious to the TAA people what MQ/CBay is doing?

There has to be a way to stop this.

excuse my ignorance, but please expand TRA and TAA - what is that? TY NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

So did you get enrolled in TAA? - What state are you in?

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm also appealing my denial as it didn't sound the denier knew Medquist was already enrolled as a participant with that number. What's your next step?

Contact your regional director and complain that office failed to - use the Medquist Petition No.

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Similar Messages:

Just Ranting
Nov 02, 2009

I was switched CCMs a month or so back.  One of the accounts from my previous CCM provided a lot of work and we were still able to access it.  Well that account is going to Voice Recognition, and my current CCM has yet to move us to her BOB accounts.  So starting next week, who knows how much work I will have to do.  Her accounts take a while to get access on.  I don't know what the hold up is, but I am not happy about.  No one seems to be listening to me when I talk about it (or give ...

Just Ranting - Bear With Me
May 08, 2013

I just have to vent - bear with me.  We make 100,000 corrections on this  ASR and I get in trouble for the one mistake I made.  I understand I made a mistake and I own up to it, but it irritates the crap out of me when doctors dictate mistakes.  And stupid ones at that!  I mean what about the one I fixed for the doctor (maybe I shouldn't have) who dictated that an elderly patient use a Cepacol SUPPOSITORY for their sore throat?  I can't speak for anybody else, but there's ...

Doc Ranting About Insurance While Dictating
Oct 16, 2010

a doc dictating on a teenager with new-onset seizures, numbness, slurred speech had ranted a little and made it clear he was angry in his report when an insurance company would not cover a brain MRI on this person.   Family were worried enough to get one anyway and it found a glioma that the CT didn't pick up.  I pay 750 a month for health insurance, I think I would make quite the stink if this happened to me.  ...

Dictator Ranting About How His Stats Aren't Typed
Nov 30, 2013

I just had a dictator rant to me about how none of his stat reports are being typed in an urgent fashion. The thing is, he only dictates that they are stat reports, saying "this is a priority report" on his dictations, but never marks the reports themselves as stats so they end up being distributed as regular dictations. It looks like someone wasn't paying attention in training. He must think we all have telepathy and know what is dictated in a report before even getting them. ...