A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Perspective - DRH

Posted: Feb 11, 2010

I occasionally come here, and I read the posts, and I can't help but wonder of course, what is going on with Medquist, and with other companies, and with U.S. MT's having their boats rocked about outsourcing and all these other things we're dealing with every day.

Here are some things to consider (and I'm trying to be objective and somewhat helpful here because I'm in the same boat the rest of y'all are):

1. If you wear a clothing item that says "made in China," then coming here complaining about your job being outsourced is a) quite frankly a bit short-sighted and hypocritical, and b) the exact same thing other people in other industries have had to deal with for decades now. It's not a Medquist phenomenon, nor a transcription phenomenon. It's a global business phenomenon and it's not going to change or go away.

2. MQ is trying to stay in business in a highly competitive market. The fact is, we still have our jobs with MQ because they're able to outsource and stay in business, with doctors and hospitals unwilling to pay more, and more and more of them going to EMRs and cutting costs any way they can. How long will we have these jobs? Hard to say. Transcription as an industry is going by the way of the dinosaurs. It's never again going to be how it was 10 or 20 years ago. It's not.

3. Knowing this, the thing to do is learn what we can while we have what we have, and prepare for the future. Adapt and overcome. Stay current on technology. Ask for backup work for other BOBs and get a paycheck while we can while exploring our options and preparing for a future that is sure to happen. Me, I'm currently back in college hacking away at a degree in what little spare time I have, so that in 10 years I'm not at the mercy of some company that is trying to make the best business decisions for itself to stay afloat, which may or may not happen. Further your education, make a plan for the future, scope out options. With our medical terminology background and the knowledge we have gained over the years, why not get a degree or certification as a radiology technician or in healthcare administration? Anatomy? Pssh. Can do! What specialty? Any specialty! Medical terminology? Yep, no problem! Pharmaceuticals? Are you kidding me? I know more than your average pharmacy tech. And I can spot an error on a script a mile away.

Here are just a few options we have open. The list goes on and on. We can type. We can edit. We can make anybody's grammar look good. MQ is just another stepping stone on my ever-expanding resume. We have skills, people!

Why stay foxholed? I don't work for Medquist.  I work for me, my family, and my future. No, I'm not in my 30s anymore either, and I realize these things get harder as we get older, but the beauty of being older is that we're strong women who know a thing or two about life and who can do what's necessary to take care of ourselves and our families, can we not?

Just some things to consider. I know these are hard times but the ones who come out on the other end successfully are those who adapt and overcome.

DRH - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Well said! You make good points. This forum, however is where people come to vent. *itch and complain. I think its human nature. We need to get it off our chest. We don't have co-workers to talk to, we come here. We have "virtual co-workers".

I am grateful for my job. I like what you say, "work for my family"...

Perspective - Ancient typist

[ In Reply To ..]
What an inciteful, cohesive, eye-opening, and incredibly well-written comment on our current dilemma. I whole-heartedly agree. I took a year off MT to get my nursing license back (which I had allowed to lapse.) Strangely though, there are no nursing jobs in this Podunk town. So while awaiting my license switch to another state I will transcribe, to allow me to at least put food on the table, and then rent out my house, pack up our belongings and hit the road to greener pastures. All this while teetering on the edge of 60, and having a disabled husband.

We are strong. Look at the abuse we have endured for so long in this profession. But as you so aptly put it, we have choices. Let's make them.

Thanks. It helps me to hear that there is another not - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
so young person going out and doing what they need to do. I'm no spring chicken either, and I had not planned on training for a new vocation at this age.
Another thing - DRH
[ In Reply To ..]
Let's not forget that we are also capable of working independently and keeping a schedule and meeting/exceeding production requirements without direct supervision. We can research independently. We don't have to ask Tom, Dick and Harry about how to solve a problem. We know how to proactively utilize resources without hand-holding. That's absolutely a marketable skill that not many have. We've already proven that we have the self-discipline it takes to work from home in a satellite office environment. We're any supervisor's dream. Put it on that resume, ladies!

Thank you - Sunflower

[ In Reply To ..]
For all the years I worked with the Q, I did not know about this board until a few months ago. I felt so isolated and had no idea what was happening to other MTs and always wondered if I was the only one. We are isolated and sometimes this board makes me crazy because there are some people out there who do not have jobs. I know it is a place to vent and more power to you. I lets us all know we are not in the Q boat alone, so vent away. I understand that what the Q is doing to us is unfair and I also know that is Corporate America. We are at the mercy of big companies and if you think about it we are even at the mercy of car insurance premiums we have been paying for years and years, which I call legalized extortion.

I wanted to say thank you for that inspiring measage you posted. I have been seriously thinking about training for another vocation. You are right, we do have so much medical experience we could smoke anyone without the knowledge we have accumulated over our years of toiling away at our desks.

I am thankful I have a job, but I believe it is time to move on.

Or... - you could read some history

[ In Reply To ..]
This is generational. You are seeing the trees for the forest, even though you think you are seeing the big picture...

All you really are doing is blaming the victim.

Go back to the Revolutionary War, The Civil War, and the Great Depression. These are lost generations for the cause of globalization also.

Your theories are a mixture of CNN meets the Hallmark Channel.

Adapt to me means learning how to make lentils, not hunt for something not made in China or go to vocational school.

What? Both of you are . . . . - This new generation is something else.

[ In Reply To ..]
To Perspective and OR. MTSO's are going downhill. Gee, MQ even hired ANOTHER big wig. How many is that in this company? 33?

I have seen nursing changing from years ago when I went to nursing school and it was for the better! They sure make a heck of a lot more than they did 20 years ago. That is a fact!!!

We MT's are changing for the worst and it is not getting any better. The hospitals are getting smarter and doctors. They are either going to go with outsourcing to reduce costs and yet have headaches with it or they are going with EPIC and having doctors transcribe their own dictation which to me seems the smart move and that leaves us MT's out AND MTSO's.

Buy China products? I for one OWN AMERICAN MADE CARS!!!! Proud of it and now look at Honda, Toyota's problems. Ha! At least I do not have to worry about my Ford Mustang having brake problems. I was raised in Michigan where my family 25 years ago had bumper stickers that stated "I am an American, Buy American, Keep American jobs." Shoot, my aunt and uncle to this day own EVERYTHING American from furniture, cars, to food. Although, yes, not every car is now completely manufactured with all American parts nor is the furniture, etc. blah, blah, blah, but I certainly give them credit for trying to buy all American products.

Adapt? I am not going to adapt to cutting my pay in half. I do not see the big wigs doing that, do you? I do not see nurses complaining about their pay and learning to adapt to make half or running out of jobs.

The reality is adapt or perish - JMHO

[ In Reply To ..]
Things are not going to get any better in MT field. If you believe that it will, then you are just hiding your head in the sand hoping that speech recognition, outsourcing, lower MT pay, EPIC, etc., will somehow go away and MT pay will get better. Comparing nursing to MT is like comparing apples to oranges in terms of how the jobs are done, think about it. If nursing were as easy to automate as MT, then you would see that profession going away also. As a matter of fact, there are some hospitals bringing in foreign nurses at lower pay now.

If you refuse to "adapt" by being proactive and finding another career that can support you, then there is nobody to blame but yourself. Some of us, such as the OP, can see the proverbial writing on the wall and realize there is enough warning to do something about it now instead of complaining on deaf ears (corporate) and moving toward the poorhouse.
I agree with you. Getting out of MT work. - This new generation is something else.
[ In Reply To ..]
Just saying that nurses have done a lot better in 20 years. X-ray techs have done better in 20 years. Shoot, even medical assistants have done better in 20 years.

As for MT? IT SUCKS and will continue to get worse, but gradually. It will never get any better.

I knew this when CBAY came into the picture. I knew if we did not stand up when CBAY bought out MQ, that was it for everybody!! Because all companies follow the BIG MTSO. Always did in the past. Actually, in the past, all MTSO's know each other. For example, the guy who is CEO of Webmedx used to be my manager for Medifax who then merged with Secrephone. Some MTSO's are buddies, relatives, or just sleeping around with each other.

I read the company board and it does not look very good at all. MT's are running out of jobs or getting crappy work.

I am back to school and trying to figure out what to do. I like emergency management and physical therapy, but this too is a crowded field.

Excellent post, Your perspective is RIGHT ON. - DJ

[ In Reply To ..]
d

Similar Messages:

MT Perspective
Apr 10, 2010

Most of you have them figured out.  I was in the last wave in 2005 when they closed our location and dumped us into the system with poor audio, inaccessible supervisors, knowing those of us who were making a decent line rate would eventually bow out.  I truly believe the industry has reduced the MT to the role of at-home slave.  So sad.  You know, it is the patients who ultimately suffer because of the greed of investors who derive their sumptuous subsistence off the swe ...

Here Is Some Perspective. Sm
Oct 14, 2010

MTs have unfortuantely lost their jobs in the recent months and work is slowing down across the board.  That does not viilfy the MTSO.  It's part of a much bigger picture. MTs tend to live in their own microcosmic world.  We are not the only ones impacted by the slow economy, bad housing market, downturn in census at healthcare facilities and company layoffs. Take a look at DailyJobCuts.com ...

Imedix -- From A QA Perspective
Nov 24, 2014

I can totally understand why people are upset.  I was hired as QA.  The account that I was on was a major hospital system     blanks that I could easily understand. However, there were times when I just had to leave a blank.  We were instructed to "ding" the MT as much as possible and the rules we followed were as per Nuance guidelines.  Even as a QA, we had audits from upper management.  I was terminated because my quality score fell below 98%.  I felt fo ...

Resumes From An MTSO Perspective?
Sep 02, 2011

I know MTSOs are inundated with resumes, so what catches your eye and what turns you off?  Do you really want to know all the places I have worked?  Or would you rather have a brief resume stating only my years of experience, field of experience, etc.?  What I am best at, etc.  Would appreciate a recruiter's input.  ...

Dr. X Was Consulted From A S/l *Spanish* Cardiology Perspective. NM. TIA!
Dec 10, 2014

x ...