A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any auditors wish they were still MT? - anony

Posted: May 08, 2014

With what I know now about how much MTs can actually get away with as far as errors and quality, I now wish I had stayed as MT and just stopped working so damn hard at it. It seems like auditors have to work much harder and get things even more perfect while the MTs still keep making the same mistakes over and over again and nothing comes of it. A lot of the errors I have to mark don't really matter at all and are extremely subjective, so isn't it kind of pointless to keep wasting our time pointing those errors out, especially when we know the MTs aren't going to change the way they do things. Why bother changing your way of doing something when you are only going to get a feedback error on it and no consequences? I wouldn't. As an MT, I am pretty sure I ignored anything that did not have an actual point value assigned to it. If a report has a million punctuation errors, but is still graded as 100%, that just doesn't make sense to me. It's not 100%, there are errors. They may be only punctuation, but they still look terrible. However, we don't give points on them, so why even capture them? Anyway, I'm all over the place here. Just some thoughts I thought I would throw out there.

I think a lot of - QA

[ In Reply To ..]
are school-marm wannabes who have never had a job that was truly consequential and thus take pleasure in finding fault with others to justify their paychecks. Ultimately the only QA that matters is the person who dictated and has to sign the report.

RIGHT ON! - chillywinter

[ In Reply To ..]
Couldn't have said it better myself...you go, girl!

You may have the luxury of hunting out all those - missing commas but I do not

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm a single parent with three children to feed and for pennies a line, if the majority of the report tells the patient's story accurately, that's what they get for the pay. So get off your mighty box there and look beyond the punctuation.

Maybe this makes more sense? - anony

[ In Reply To ..]
Well I wasn't trying to say that. I was trying to say that if MT's aren't going to get any points assigned to an error, then why do I have to take my time to point it out to them when in the long run it isn't going to matter?

I imagine because that is in you job description - and the job you agreed to take on

[ In Reply To ..]
As a QA/auditor, you take on the educational/feedback role. If you think that's a waste of time or overburdensome, then you should move to a job description more in line with what you want to accomplish at the end of the day.

I can see your point.... - TrampledUnderfoot

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't suppose you can go back to just being an MT. Although your consolation might be that you still will have a job after the US MTs are all kicked to the curb. You'll be QA-ing reports from India, but at least you'll have a job.

if you hadn't begun your post the way you did - we might agree with you

[ In Reply To ..]
But you put everyone on the defensive by starting out saying:

With what I know now about how much MTs can actually get away with as far as errors and quality...

In any other profession... - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
When you reduce a professional to 1/4th their previous salary, you expect to get 1/4th the previous quality!

You are right! - Most

[ In Reply To ..]
Places pay more for high quality!

And as QA, all the additions you make to a report, all the - blanks you fill, all the missing words you SM

[ In Reply To ..]
insert, you dont get paid for any of it. You get paid based on the report the MT submits. And they want you to believe they can't count a report twice. They can count your every keystroke and mouse click, but they can't figure out how to count a report twice!??

Seriously thinking about going back to being an MT, where I dont have to read feedback or follow instructions or CP.

But we get paid for the entire report - QA

[ In Reply To ..]
We may not get paid for the words we fill in where there are QA markers but we get paid for the entire rest of the report that we didn't touch so I'm not complaining.

You are just parrotting what you have been told. Have you kept track to - find out if this is really in your SM

[ In Reply To ..]
favor? I see few quick qa jobs. Most jobs that come to qa are OS reports or reports from the crappy dictators that are 100% qa. Jobs with just 1 or 2 blanks go through to the client.

I have worked on many different platforms and have always been paid on the job I submit, not the MT's job. I have been told we get paid for qa of easy and hard jobs. Well, sure, but they should be the easy and hard jobs WE submit, not the MT. I have also been told that our pay is set up to acct for having easy jobs and hard jobs, but nobody in management has been able to tell me just what that means.

Keep track and I think you will find, like I did, that this policy is not in favor of the qa person, but vastly in favor of MM, but that should come as a surprise to nobody.
Oh yeah, and this also means you do not get paid for research - to fill blanks or to leave feedback. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

You get what you pay for!!! - MT TOO

[ In Reply To ..]
I compare this type of a job to a sweat shop. You pay crap you get crap. You pay people pennies for lines and want a flawless document. I don't think it's going to happen. The more the pay goes down the worse it will get. Who will type that error free report for less than minimum wage? Maybe nobody cares anymore??!! I bet if you paid that MT an hourly fee they would take the time to check punctuation, look stuff up, fill in those blanks, etc. Just my thought though.

As long as the hourly - Wage

[ In Reply To ..]
Is decent and not minimum! We already know what they think our jobs are worth by how much our pay has already gone down.

I miss being an auditor. I enjoyed it and didn't nitpick. Not everyone's - cut out to be an auditor. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

You do know there is a difference between auditor and qa, - dont you? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

LOL, yes. I was an auditor for years. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
What do you do now? - anony
[ In Reply To ..]
Some of the "rules" that auditors must follow are absurb when you think about them, they don't make sense, are contradictory, or are just a waste of time. I like the job because of the holidays and sick pay, which we don't get as an MT, but I made a crap load more money as an MT, but I didn't always have work available....
I was an auditor at 2 other companies. I'm an MME here, which means - I just do ASR all day now. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

You Made My Day - ocean breeze

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been waiting so long to actually here from an "auditor."

Before MModal, I had worked in the acute care setting for years and there were so many MTs more into office politics than their jobs.

I just want to assure you that there are many MTs that you are auditing that are conscientious, literate in medical terminology and proud of what they do.

I was afraid of being audited, because nobody is 99.6% perfect, and now I know why.

We are being audited by people like you.

I am just trying to do the job with the instructions I was given... - anony

[ In Reply To ..]
Why does everyone instantly have to get rude on here.

As auditors we are given instructions that we have to follow. There is some subjectivity to it, which is why I am asking for others to help me.

FYI, auditors also get audited!

Rule of thumb: If it's subjective, don't mark it as an error. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Who audits.... - JustMe

[ In Reply To ..]
the auditors that audit the auditors? LOL

Unless the MT is on 100% QA - You should

[ In Reply To ..]
Only be looking to fill in blanks. If you notice it & correct it fine, but who has time to go over someone's work with a fine tooth cimb? Fill in the blanks and be done with it.

Another thing is this, if it doesn't change the meaning of the sentence then points shouldn't be deducted. Informing the MT of proper usage is suffice.

Similar Messages:

RAC Auditors
Jun 10, 2012

A cute/funny animation about RAC auditors and what they do.  Just 3:52 minutes. First step to becoming a RAC auditor is becoming a certified coder.       ...

Are Any Auditors Here Who Can Help?
Mar 21, 2014

I was just wondering if there were any auditors who actually came to this board who could divulge a little information. I'm an auditor, but I was wondering just how knit-picky or in-depth is everyone else when they audit a job? It seems like I keep correcting the same thing over and over and over and over again and it's getting sickening and it's mostly just really small stuff that shouldn't even matter, like adding or omitting "a" or "the." ******I WISH FOR TRUTHFUL ...

AUDITORS
Aug 28, 2014

QA gets audited too and let me tell you, they give no Mercy.  We have an auditor initial RH who is just out for the kill.  FIESA is so stressful even for QA/QC.  I cannot stand the stress anymore and am definitely seeking other employment as fast as I can.  ...

Seriously? These Auditors Need To Rein It In.
Feb 11, 2015

Got a minor error (-0.25) for typing. "The patient has no complaints." The auditor felt that she heard "The patient has no complaint" without the S. Well that'll certainly compromises patient care. Good thing she caught that and dinged me for it. Sure, it's only a minor error, but that could very well be the error that pushes me over 99.5 one day. It's this kind of stuff that reduces employee morale and makes them hate working here. This is getting ridiculous. ...

Questions For Past/present Auditors
Mar 24, 2014

Couple of questions for any past/present auditors: 1. How long were you with MM before you moved to the auditing department? 2. Were you actively seeking the move or were you offered it out of the blue? 3. Are you making more or less than you were on production? 4. Do you focus on a certain number of accounts similar to HDS/SHDAs or are you required to cover whatever comes across your desk at any given time?   Thanks! ...

Auditors - What's The Maximum Length Of A Report You Process?
Apr 15, 2014

When you're pulling reports to audit, how long is too long?   ...