A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ASR and GERD - no name

Posted: Feb 27, 2012

My little-piece-of-heaven ASR absolutely will not EVER transcribe "GERD."  So far today, it has put "heard" and then "Hz" for hertz I am presuming.  Sometimes it literally will leave a blank and just go to the next word, but not one time EVER has it put GERD.   So even though I change it to GERD each and every time, it sure is having a hard time "learning" this after 5 years. 

also so very tired of correcting S1-S2, even - when doctor clearly states

[ In Reply To ..]
S1 AND S2. Every single time, it puts S1-S2. If I was typing spines all the time that would be very handy; not so much when you transcribe cardio.

also "the patient" versus "patient" - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It is funny, the ASR always puts "the" in front of patient whether the doctor says it or not so many times I don't even remove it, but if I type "the" in a typing report they will knock it down.

funny - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
Mine never puts a "the" before the word patient and virtually never puts one in before nouns like baby, child, pain, parents, etc. I usually add it and no one has ever said a word.

Here's what to do about that - Frosty Mug

[ In Reply To ..]
I have an expansion set up as S1-S2x, so when ASR says S1-S2, I just add an x behind it and it changes it to S1, S2. I do a lot of them like that.

Frosty Mug - Red Solo

[ In Reply To ..]
Love your moniker. hehe. What word expander do you use? I'm not sure mine will let me leave what ASR typed and change it w/ the addition of a character (or whatever). I also no longer work for the Q, so it may be different, but it's worth a shot.

When our ASR can't make out a word that remotely sounds like it might start w/ an "R," it inserts Dr. Radhika, which as strange as we don't have a doc by that name. Also, "full" pops up repeatedly when the doc is shuffling through papers or otherwise not actively dictating. Gotta love it.
Red Solo - Dr. Radhika aka Frosty Mug
[ In Reply To ..]
I use the DQS word expander, whatyamacalit, does it have a name? I know some people use SH in addition to this expander. It's weird, sometimes I can change things by adding an x or whatever letter to the end of whatever nonsense ASR has typed, and sometimes I can't. I have been doing ASR since the Kerry-Bush debates and it has never ever ever changed. Still doing a lot of things it was doing day 1. I'm just trying to hold on until retirement...

Same here! - empire lady

[ In Reply To ..]
I've seen the same thing, over and over. Although, once in a blue moon, GERD will pop up appropriately. Another one I've noticed is it seems to get 8's and 0's confused, putting in one for the other. Makes no sense. They don't even sound alike!

Yeah it used to be things that at least kind of sounded - the same. Now just puts

[ In Reply To ..]
in random completely wrong stuff that I cannot for the life of me figure out how it "heard" that. Maybe ASR just doesn't care any more either :)

The ASR watches too much X-Files - MModal Livestock

[ In Reply To ..]
Back when I did ASR for MQ a couple years ago (I quit as an alternative to spontaneously combusting from the stress - though recently I was sold back to MQ) one of my favorites was...

Doctor: "ABDOMEN: Full and obese."
ASR: "ABDOMEN: Full of bees."

Honestly, going to a hospital seems like the wrong move here. You're gonna want a priest or a witch doctor.

MModal Livestock - Frosty Mug

[ In Reply To ..]
Love that name! That's a good one! Best laugh of the day so far. Priest or witch doctor....snort...Thanks for the laughs.

and is obessed with sex - love the name too!

[ In Reply To ..]
I have noticed that whenever ASR can't figure something out it puts in terms of genitalia such as: The patient will return to the doctor's vagina in a week (should have been office).

LOL - so true - MModal Livestock

[ In Reply To ..]
The ASR does seem to have a dirty mind.

ASR: ALLERGIES: Penis.
Doctor: ALLERGIES: Peanuts.

ASR does that and it gets half my money. Meanwhile, I got yelled at for misspelling Wal-mart by putting a hyphen in it. Everyone knows, OF COURSE, that it has a star and not a hyphen. Luckily, no patients died from my gross incompetence;)
yeah that patient might have died - with her penis allergy
[ In Reply To ..]
She might have been exposed to some penis during her hospitalization and THANK GOD the ASR let the docs know she was allergic. Thanks for the laugh!

Agree with the sex thing - For sure

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree it is obsessed with "sex". I find that word in a lot of my reports, Op notes, EEGs, always "sex". I think whoever is training it is a pervert.

Similar Messages:

GERD Medication Help
Dec 29, 2009

She is pronouncing it Zatord, and says it is for the pt's acid reflux.  Anyone have any idea what this could be?  Not Zantac, the t-o-r-d at the end is very clear.  TIA~ ...

S/l Caput X For GERD
Mar 05, 2010

The patient has GERD.  .... we have ordered caput X, however it is not available on formulary. Thanks!   ...

S/l Lopidex 30 Mg Daily. Pt Has A Hx Of GERD, HTN And Asthma.
Jan 26, 2010

x ...

S/l Duo-tec. Pt Has A History Of Asthma, DM, Heart Disease, Polio, GERD.
Mar 03, 2010

x ...

S/l "sudrophates" As GERD/intestinal Medication
Sep 02, 2010

"Patient stopped the (s/l sudrophates) at some point.  Said he did not feel that he really needed that.  Still using his omeprazole, though." Any thoughts? ...