A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

what's so different about radiology? - hmm...

Posted: Jul 27, 2013

I'm wondering why radiology seems to be its own separate entity in the MT world.  It seems like if you know radiology, they'll bend over backwards to hire you.  I've done radiology before, just as part of my regular MT pool.  I don't get what's so "special" about it.  Does it have it's own quirky platform or something?

Radiology MT - FormerCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've done radiology for over a decade and have been an MT for 30+ years (recently gotten out of the field). I've transcribed many different specialties, including pathology. In my opinion, there's nothing special or more difficult about radiology. It is actually much easier than any other specialty I've transcribed. In the old days (back in the 1980s), beginner MTs used to be put on radiology and psychiatry accounts as they were the easiest.

Okay, then! - hmm...

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, former CMT. Think I'll apply for some radiology jobs.

another question - hmm....

[ In Reply To ..]
Do most radiology accounts use Meditech? Is it easy to learn? Does anyone like it?

Meditech - FormerCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
When I did rad MT for a hospital, they used Meditech. Very easy to learn. Basically like MS Word. I forgot to mention that when I did MT for Nuance, the pay rate was lower (3.75 cents/line) than other specialties.
I meant to say... - FormerCMT
[ In Reply To ..]
...when I did RADIOLOGY MT for Nuance, I was paid at a lower rate.
like Word? All function keys are different and it aligns - differently, does not even delete teh same nor
[ In Reply To ..]
copy paste the same, and does not cap a new line after a period...that was Meditech Magic for me. Not sure what version you are talking about but you are misleading this poor gal on many levels.
Not misleading at all... - FormerCMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes,the version of Meditech I worked on was similar to MS Word. I am NOT misleading anyone. I don't know what version YOU and the poster below worked on, but I didn't have those problems at all. After being laid off from my rad MT job because of VR, I took a temp pathology job at a different hospital that also used Meditech. It also was just like MS Word. No need to be nasty and think you know it all.
I did say what version, it was Magic, the most like Word is Meditech 4 - you were not specific so FYI for next time.
[ In Reply To ..]
Helps to know what version you are talking about when you talk about it. especially with Meditech - several (outdated) versions still in use. It is not just all "Meditech" is just like Word. Not true and misleading...sorry.

Meditech is the pits. - allie
[ In Reply To ..]
We upgraded last year - I'll have to log on to find the version - but it is quite user-unfriendly, more so than Magic. It does this compiling of patients - every patient that ever had a diagnostic test - that we have to abort or end up waiting and waiting. It has glitches when searching for the patient you want to transcribe on that, even though you have an accession number which you plug into a search field, it will bring up multiple patients with the same last name or ALL the dates of admission and tests for the patient you're looking for. If you wait too long to choose, it switches back to the names of patients whose reports you've already transcribed. Sometimes it just does this for no reason. For instance, you have Jane Doe, you find the orders for the chest x-ray she had done, go to click on it and Meditech opens up a list of orders for another patient. You see chest x-ray orders, click on the order and find it's a completely different patient. This caused multiple HIPAA violations for everyone including the doctors because this glitch happened so fast that if you glanced away for a second, the change was made and you missed it.

It is very slow saving reports. I remember Meditech Magic being quick as far as retrieving, typing and saving. This version is not. It also has a shortcut/expander program from the year of the flood. Spell check is a joke. To add a word, you choose "Ignore all". It doesn't recognize words with 4 letters or less so it flags those. Ours doesn't recognize medical terms that we keep adding. The arrow keys don't work the way they do in Word. "End" doesn't bring you to the end of the page. I'm sure there's more I could add.
It's still Meditech Magic v 8.49.21.223 - allie
[ In Reply To ..]
Meditech - hmm...
[ In Reply To ..]
Meditech sounds dreadful! Ugh!!!

one of the oldest non-MT friendly systems around. - plus

[ In Reply To ..]
Radiology is a lot more technical than acute care - which is way more plain English than medical.

And beginners who say they have experience and don't get found ount in a day - so hope you are being honest about your experience when applying as it will come back with teeth that bite.

Radiology is a well kept secret - in my opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
I've done MT for 25+ years and no, there is absolutely nothing special or difficult about radiology. In fact, it's extremely easy...almost too easy! As with any specialty, there is terminology specific to radiology, but if you've done acute care, you should be able to do radiology with no problem at all. The only thing I don't like about radiology is that it can get boring, especially with nothing but a bunch of bones and chest x-rays all day long.

I have a friend who transcribes radiology only, and she says she doesn't like acute care transcription, but the fact is that her terminology and knowledge skills are very limited, so radiology is really the only transcription she can do.

Radiology - hmm...

[ In Reply To ..]
This is great news! I've done acute care for 32 years, including some radiology and some pathology. I didn't specialize in radiology, but I'll bet I can pick it up quickly. And now I'm not scared of Meditech, since reading your post. I'll start applying. Thanks, everyone!

Boring & Easy - FormerCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
The above poster is 100% correct that radiology is boring and easy. As you've done acute care for so long, you will have NO problems with rad MT. You will probably get bored, but there are far worse things that go along with jobs than being bored!
Boring and Easy - Another former CMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't sure where to insert this; after I wrote about missing radiology transcription and wanting to do it again, I was approached by one of the managers yesterday at work in regard to returning to their department. Our rads have been using VR and doing their own editing for about a year, but want to start using transcription again. Apparently they are going to try and add it back gradually and see where that goes. I'm working in HIM and already wearing a couple of different hats. One part of me says "go for it," but another part worries about job stability in radiology. That was quite a coincidence after just discussing it here. Any thoughts about what to do? Many people say, "get out of MT," but opportunities keep opening up for me.

Why are radiology reports paid differently? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Something like 70/cents per report, I've seen.

Radiology Report Pay - FormerCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
The pay is lower because radiology is easy. I'm not sure why some places pay per page or report. Maybe because most of the reports are very short (basic x-rays like chest, hands, etc., not interventional radiology or nuclear medicine), and it's harder to get a high volume of lines with such short reports (getting in and out of each report, verifying demographics for each, etc.). I've heard of rad MT jobs years ago that paid per page or report, but I was never paid that way.

I would never work for 70 cents a report. - gamt

[ In Reply To ..]
I make $1.20 per report.

I wish it was chest xrays all day. - MSMT

[ In Reply To ..]
When doing radiology, you end up getting those long reports like MRIs, CTs, special procedures that can take 30 minutes to an hour to type and if you get paid by the report like most companies pay, you have now only made around $1.25 per report in 30 minutes or $2.50 in an hour. That is the only downside to radiology that I see as I have transcribed radiology for around 15 years.

so true. not just bones and lungs. she'll find out - have little faith it will work our. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
They won't babysit you through it. Doctors are the ones who catch the errors and complain, especially with new transcriptionist's initials at the end, and MTSOs don't tolerate looking like fools for hiring someone with no experiences so don't lie about "oh I can do it" when you don't know.

They may be willing to teach it on the job if you are an honest person about no to limited experience. Otherwise, well, MTSOs don't like looking bad in the eyes of hte client, especially with dictator complaints.

so you havent done special procedures then, invasive studies - not just bones and lungs.

[ In Reply To ..]
just asking because you have no idea.

Yes, I have a lot of experience in ALL radiology - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
CT, PET, MRI, MRA, nuclear, ultrasound, neuroradiology, radiation therapy, you name it and I've done it, 25+ years. I remember when ultrasound was new and CT and MRI were unheard of LOL

The special procedure reports are a little longer and perhaps not quite so boring. But usually, a rad MT also gets a whole lot of bones and chest x-rays thrown into the mix every day too.

But, my opinion still remains the same. If you're an experienced acute care MT, you will have NO problem at all with radiology transcription.
What I've found is that working weekends - allie
[ In Reply To ..]
can be lucrative, since a lot of elective imaging like CT, MRI, bone scans, even mammography, is done during the week. On weekends it seems to be inpatient chest x-rays and plain film bones from the ER - short and sweet.

Radiology experience - Another former CMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I did radiology transcription for a number of years. I was an acute care MT who did that in addition to my regular work. The only thing different about rad is that the terminology is different but repetitive. Once you learn it, you have learned it. For me, the difficult part was the turnaround time; my providers wanted 3 hours and there were numerous stat requests. I was paid well but I did not work for a service. In hospitals, radiology usually has its own MTs because of the unique situation in regard to turnaround and being accessible to the physicians. However, if you are trying to find a job as a rad MT, I wish you luck. At my facility, radiology was the first to convert to VR and the doctors do their own editing and I think that is true across the board. We had 5 radiology MTs and they all were let go. I was lucky to have had acute care experience and was fortunate to be able to keep my job. I miss radiology and have wanted to do it, but now when I see a job opening it is usually very part-time or per diem. To my knowledge the platforms are not quirky, it would vary by facility.

do not be stupid about this. Look for samples on line - of all modalities of imging studies sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Xrsys, ultrasounds and Doppler studies, CTs, MRIs, CTAs, nuclear medicine studies, mammograms and DEXA studies, and special procedures (stent placements/replacements, balloon angiograms, etc).

Get informed.

Yes, good advice. - alana

[ In Reply To ..]
Our radiology work includes DEXA scans, nuclear cardiology, vascular imaging, plain film, ultrasound, MRI, MRA, CT, CTA,fluoroscopy procedures like PICC insertions, nephrostomy tube insertions, etc, hysterosalpingograms, mammography, breast biopsies,

Still say rad is easy - FormerCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've transcribed ALL those types of reports as a rad MT. As I stated to the OP, as she has many years of acute care experience, she will have NO problems with the more technical radiology reports. So, to the OP, I say go for it! You'll do fine.
Yes - it is easy and you can make - allie
[ In Reply To ..]
tons of shortcuts. There's very little left that I haven't turned into a shortcut. You can always look up the comparison study, if there is one, if you're unsure of something, too.
Yes, rad is easy and repetitive - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
It's easy for an acute care MT to quickly become familiar with radiology, but hard for a radiology MT to quickly learn acute care.

Being an only-radiology MT is limiting, unfortunately.
Imaging vs. rad - Montana
[ In Reply To ..]
I'd like to do radiology too. I've done a lot of x-rays in my time for orthopedics, lots of bone stuff. My question what is your opinion on imaging such as CT, bone scans, MRIs, etc., are they more difficult to learn the terminology?
Not at all. With CT and MRI exams, you - allie
[ In Reply To ..]
will likely have the first paragraphs provided by the hospital in a template. Same with bone scans - we fill in the measurements only. You will need a good resource to keep up with the technology terms. Even with these different imaging modalities, you'll pick them up quickly and make shortcuts.
Imaging vs. rad - Montana
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been told in the past that it would not be an easy transition but I believe after 30 years of transcription, I can do any of the specialties because I know how to find terms etc. Thanks for your opinion.
first check the job seekers board - count the ads for radiology - maybe 2 not counting the repeats. Gone VR mostly.
[ In Reply To ..]
there's no jobs.
What you were told was wrong. - Allie
[ In Reply To ..]
Bone plain films - very basic, femur, tibia, patella, diaphysis, humerus, radius. Ultrasounds - liver, kidneys, spleen, retroperitoneum, uterus. The most technical part of the job will likely be keeping up with the MRI (imaging modalities like FLARE, FIESTA, etc, and whatever contrasts come up), and PET/CT. I did acute care for 25+ yrs and radiology was a breeze. Few surprises.
I'm guessing a surprise for you was finding out it's FLAIR not FLARE? - (NM)
[ In Reply To ..]
Sigh. - allie
[ In Reply To ..]
That's what I get for one-handed typing on the fly. You're correct. FLAIR is used in MRI but FLARE (tm) is used in intraoperative studies.
(tm) must be account specific - never in my 40 years did a company - require the tm in any report. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
many hospitals, many faciltiies, my experience being trademarks never required anywhere I have been employed.
FLAIR - Another former CMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I pointed that out too (see below), tried to do it tactfully so I wouldn't get into trouble with the spelling police.
FLAIR and FLARE are two different - imaging modalities
[ In Reply To ..]
nm.
FLAIR = fluid-attenuated inversion recovery (an MRI view) - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
/
FLARE is - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
FLARE intraoperative near-infrared fluorescence imaging system.
Allie - Another former CMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Research FLARE, that's all I'm saying.
Allie - Another former CMT
[ In Reply To ..]
As far as I know, the term FLARE does not exist in radiology. Imaging modalities, contrasts, PET/CT and all the other terminology is a lot to learn for someone who has never done radiology transcription and I agree with the person who said you cannot fake having experience, it will take about a day for the doctors to figure that out. There are also quite a few studies that you did not name, mammograms and breast MRIs to name a couple. I also did acute care for as many years as you but even I struggled at first. The terminology was a bit like learning a new language.
Reply to my own post - Another former CMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I stand corrected, I did find FLARE. I had never heard of it before, sorry.

Similar Messages:

Radiology MT
Nov 03, 2009

Does anyone besides me think that the radiology ASR stinks.  On almost every report I am having to change/correct every third or fourth word.  And is an, punctuation where it doesn't belong, words left out that are dictated, words put in that are not dictated,  etc, etc, etc. ...

Radiology Pay?
Nov 11, 2009

I have been working acute care for the last 5 years and getting paid by the line.  I haven't done radiology in a few years, and when I was working in radiology I always got paid by the hour.  Now a local hospital is interested in my helping them out on the weekends with their radiology backlog, and are wanting to pay by report, but I have no idea what the average pay per report should be.  Can someone give some idea as to what I should be asking for?  Thanks ...

Radiology NJA
Jan 05, 2010

Is there anyone in SA5 besides me who seems to have no work virtually every day in the mornings?  This lack of work started before Thanksgiving and hasn't picked up yet, at least for me.  Anybody? ...

What Is A Radiology MLS
Jan 14, 2011

Can someone please tell me what a radiology MLS is?   ...

Radiology/GYN
Jan 05, 2012

Sounds like "6.7 cm cystic mass with synseptation"  Something before septation, either cyn, cin, syn... helllllllp.   Thanks ...

Radiology
Sep 30, 2014

Looking for a company that I can just transcribe x-ray reports for.  Anyone have any info that could help me please??? ...

Radiology Reports
Oct 18, 2009

Does anyone know what the average daily income is for typing radiology reports at 0.09 line?  Thanks. ...

No Work Radiology
Dec 03, 2009

My CCM told me that radiology was never outsourced---so where the hell is all the work.  Thanksgiving was a week ago, could it possibly still be that? ...

Radiology - What's The Going Rate?
Dec 14, 2009

What's the going rate with Radiology these days?  I'm getting $18/hour, but I could be making (much, much) more if I got paid by the line or by the dictated minute.  ...

NJA Radiology SA5 As Usual
Jan 19, 2010

nm ...

Radiology Copies
Feb 25, 2010

When typing a radiology report, do you send the results/report of a radiology exam to just the ordering provider or the ordering and the family provider?  I am trying to find out if there is an industry standard.  The hospital I work for is looking at discontinuing sending the family provider a copy.  Thank you! ...

Radiology Accounts
Feb 25, 2010

Does anyone know of any companies hiring employee status (with medical benefits) for radiology? ...

Speech Q For Radiology? What's That? Nm
Mar 18, 2010

. ...

Radiology Pages Per Day
Mar 21, 2010

Anyone transcribing radiology and getting paid per page?  If so--how many pages are you averaging per day?   ...

Radiology Word Help
Mar 27, 2010

Hello, I am a student and new to this site. I'm unclear on word, and since my knowledge isn't too great yet, I'm not sure if the sentence makes sense. The word I'm not sure is "vary", here is the sentence: The small bowel transit time was approximately 2 hours or normal for this contrast medium vary the terminal ileum also appears within normal limits.   Thank you for your help! ...

Help For Radiology Newbie
May 16, 2010

I need some help from you guys.  I'm a newbie and I'm trying to land my first full-time job after a year of searching.  I've just been doing general transcription online; no medical. I had an interview at the local hospital in my area but they want to test me for the radiology dept.  Can anybody tell me what terms are used most frequently for radiology MT's.  Or just any info. would help me.  I've never taken a radiology test.  Thanks! VC ...

ALL TYPE - Anyone Was Currently Doing Radiology
Jul 27, 2010

I was wondering if anyone was currently doing Radiology work for ALL Type and can let me know your experience-- pros and cons.   Thanks. ...

How Do I Learn Radiology?
Aug 22, 2010

What's the best way to learn Radiology? I have no experience in this specialty. Should I just wait until I get a new job and am in it for a while, then ask to be trained on a Radiology account? ...

Best Radiology Reference
Sep 08, 2010

Hi, Can anyone recommend the best radiology reference? I'd like terms, phrases, and abbreviations combined. I'd like to have one reference at-hand. First, assignment/dictator could barely understand. How long before you felt more comfortable with various reports? ...

Radiology Requirements
Jun 21, 2011

What are the radiology requirements for production?  What platform is used?  What do you have to do to transfer to radiology?  Is the pay worse, better, or the same? ...

SMARTMED RADIOLOGY
Oct 03, 2010

Anyone worked for Smartmed (former TSI) out of Texas doing radiology? Could you tell me how the platform is, dictators and pay.  Thanks ! ...

Radiology Knees
Oct 06, 2010

He starts out saying XXXXX bilateral knees. It sounds like he's saying "fay pee". The left knee shows subchondral sclerosis in the medial compartment of the femur and the tibial plateau. Anyone have a clue? Thanks. ...

Anyone Know Going Rate Of Radiology MT?
Oct 09, 2010

I realize it varies depending on where you live - but not by that much, I think.  I applied at a local hospital in June and this morning got an email message that there was opening in the Rad Department for MT.  I went ahead and sent my electronic application.   No guarantee I'll even called for interview much less get the job, but I'm curious if the hospitals tend to pay by the hour or by page, etc.    The benefits are incredible and that is the rea ...

Radiology IC Job Posting
Oct 27, 2010

I noticed that posting and sent an email.  Pretty sure they posted something similar before because my email had saved their address in it.  Never heard back though.  Does anyone remember this besides me?  Did anyone get hired?  Or a call?  Or an interview?  $2.50 a report, for anyone who has never been paid per report, is excellent!  ...

2.25 Radiology--anyone Hear From Them?
Oct 31, 2010

Heard nothing so far. Have to wonder. ...

Question For Radiology MTs
Jun 14, 2011

I always have docs saying "a 5 mm foci" in the liver.  Since foci is plural of focus, shouldn't it be a 5 mm focus?  This isn't an isolated case, have heard many doctors over many years say this, have NEVER heard anyone dictate "a focus" -- they always say "a foci".  Is this rad-slang or am I crazy or what? ...

Keystrokes Radiology MTs
Mar 09, 2011

I see that Keystrokes is hiring for radiology.  I have read some of the feeds on Keystrokes, but was wondering if radiology MTs were having similar issues.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  ...

Radiology - Orthopaedics
Mar 09, 2011

Patient has 50% subluxation of the degenerative hip on the left side with subchondral sclerosis degeneration, flattening of the femoral head, (s/l crow 2) DDH.  Thank You in advance. ...

Radiology Per Report Pay
Aug 02, 2011

I have typed radiology and have been paid by the line.  I was offered a job for $1.50 per report for any report under 5 minutes.  Any report over 5 minutes would be $3.00.  I would like feedback on this if anyone has any opinions on whether this is a decent rate.  Thank you. ...

RADIOLOGY INSCRIBE
Sep 03, 2011

Does anyone work for Inscribe out of Ky doing Radiology? Is this a good company to work for? How is their Radiology? ...