A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

We are a "dime a dozen" and it is our own fault - NocturnalHooter

Posted: Jan 30, 2011

We lost something as a profession when we openly proclaimed that we wanted to "work from home" in order to take care of our kids.

Men in the workforce do NOT grapple with this issue. They go outside the home to work to provide for their families. They negotiate their pay rates with no shame.

We (as women and mothers) relegated ourselves to the status of moms 'taking in laundry' for 'pocket money' when we insisted that working from home was a "benefit.'

We are providing a real service. We need to demand payment that recognizes that.

Yes, this is a feminist issue.

Oh wait... We are 20 years ahead of the curve, and now there are women in India who will jump at the chance to work for rupees per line (taking in laundry).

Are we a profession or a pasttime?

Oh my Gosh - I disagree in so many ways - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
1. We didn't loose our profession when we decided to work from home. It was a choice we made. I am still an MT whether I work in an office or at my home office. Nothing has been lost. However, some of us became MTs so that we could work at home and take care of the kids and work a schedule that allows us to do just that.

2. Not all men go outside the home to work to "provide for their families". That sounds so 1940s. Lots of men also work at home. My brother divides his time between his office and working at home 50/50. Also, this is the year 2011. Lots of families need 2 incomes to make ends meet. We aren't the little missus barefoot in the kitchen while "the husband provides for the family". Both our paychecks go into the same pot.

3. Everyone's job is different, hence everyone's salary is different. People know well ahead of time (during the interview process) what the job pays. They have to choice to either accept or refuse it. As for the "shame" comment...???

4. Working at home IS a benefit (and a huge one). I no longer have to get up at 6 am iron what I'm going to wear, jump in the shower, put on the face cake and, make coffee to put in a thermos, make lunch, jump in the car (or in the winter time shovel the driveway and wait for the car to heat up), drive an hour or more to work dealing with the people on the road with anger management problems, deal with all the office politics, do the same job there I do here, then drive another hour home, make dinner and have maybe 1 hours of free time to myself. Working at home IS a benefit. I get up take my shower and start work within 15 minutes. No working wardrobe, no gas bill, no people cutting me off in traffic, etc, etc. I can do the laundry or run errands at lunch. I certainly do not miss the office politics.

5. Of course we provide a real service and some of us get paid well. You don't "demand" anything. I cant even tell you how many times this has been talked about on this board. The MT industry is not what it used to be. In today's economic times things are tough. Not only in our profession but in many. People are not getting paid what they used to, and for many people their jobs are never coming back. I am grateful to have what I do. Would I like to make what I did 10 years ago...you bet I would, but this is 2011. Businesses (to include hospitals) have to cut back too. I'm just grateful to have my job. Things are not going back to what they used to and people need to deal with it. You don't "demand" payment. The company tells you what the pay is. You then have the choice to accept or refuse and move on.

6. No, this is not a "feminist" issue and to say it is one lessens the severity of real feminist issues. There are also men working in this field and they are facing the same issues we are. We are not being discriminated against because we are women.

7. Profession or pasttime??? I don't know about you, but I am a professional MT. Been doing this for 20 years now. Will probably do it for another 20 or so until I retire (or the end of the world happens - whichever comes first). I love my job. I work hard. I have a home office and it is no different than working in an office at another location. I respect my supervisors. I do the job they hired me to do.

Times are changing. Not only our country but other countries around the world. You just have to move with the times. Nothing is the same as it was years ago. I wish it was, but its not. My mom told me a long time ago to learn to deal with the changes. Sure saves a lot of headaches.

different takes on the same concept... - NocturnalHooter

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I respect my supervisors. Yes, I enjoy working from home. Yes, my DH gets up at 4:30 and works for literally slave wages in this "yes it's 2011 economy". Yes, I appreciate the fact that I get paid for working in my bed on a laptop.

That said... My DH *demands* pay commensurate with BOTH the economy and his worth as an employee (not to mention the federal minimum wage, which I don't get!), while WOMEN accept "piece work pay" by the line.

Nevermind the fact that the MTSO's regularly overhire and we end up working 16-23 hours per day instead of 8 plus commute, which may be 10 minutes or an hour, but the DH DID choose where to live in relationship to the job.

Here's part of the explanation to the previous paragraph. If DH is expected to be at work at 6:30 a.m., and work until 4:30 p.m., but work "shows up" at 7:30 p.m.... He will attend to that issue at 6:30 a.m. TOMORROW. He will not receive an email informing him that there are *36 reports* that will go late within a few minutes. He KNOWS his schedule, and he WORKS his schedule. He can PLAN what will happen tomorrow, barring an accident on the freeway or some other completely unforeseen circumstance. He is NOT a slave to checking his email or his queue!!!

I really truly think we're on the same side of the coin. But even if we're not, it's still the same coin.

When we make our choices and our "demands" we end up choosing our futures.

I am choosing my future to be in a field that CANNOT be shipped overseas and CANNOT be performed from home. I WILL go out of the house to work because it simply pays what my time is worth instead of what I will "accept" in exchange for the "so-called privilege" of not having to scrape the ice off of the car in January. And I will respect myself in the morning... :)

You say DH works for slave wages but demands certain - level of pay. He demannds slave wages? NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x
response... - NocturnalHooter
[ In Reply To ..]
He was laid off in 2009 after 13 years at one place, and he was unable to find ANY employment for 1-1/2 years. The job he finally found pays half what he used to make (and less than unemployment), but it is a job instead of an unemployment check, and he has the security of knowing it is there. We were truly sweating it out wondering if Congress was going to renew the "99-weeker" extensions. (On that note - I would not qualify for unemployment at all because of so much time spent in IC status!) He has been there 3 months now and already gotten a $1 raise by ASKING for it! No, he didn't demand slave wages. He accepted the first job he was offered and then followed through with excellent performance and a request for a raise.

BRAVO! Excellent response! - n/msg

[ In Reply To ..]

Funny, I make more as at-home MT that I did working - in a clinic in the real world. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
No kidding? That musta been one CR@PPY - clinic job! :(
[ In Reply To ..]
True, lol. But main reason I left was office politics - and horrible co-workers. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Speaking of office politics...here's how a new ofc mgr introduced herself... - Hayseed
[ In Reply To ..]
Picture a harmonious medical office staff of about 6 people who actually knew their jobs, knew it well, and were all cross trained to step in anywhere if needed--even in the billing department or as an ophthalmic tech in a pinch.

Old office manager was there for years and simply retired. New one was hired and and came in immediately with a chip on her shoudler, had to show us how huge her "balls" were.

She introduced herself to everyone, including non-office personnel by saying, "Don't ever cross me or I'll show you my Irish temper." We were all pretty much like WTF.

Nothing was wrong with this office until she came on board with her 'tude. I left shortly thereafter, as did a few other people. Turns out she was banging one of the MDs who half-owned the joint and she must've been good at it because she outlasted a lot of good people. LOL.

Nope. Don't miss office politics one darned bit!
:-D
that sounds like one we had a couple years back - that was a transplant from TX to CA. -nm-
[ In Reply To ..]
Me too!! It was not a crappy clinic job and paid - a normal hourly pay for the
[ In Reply To ..]
job that I did. I'm not sure what clinic jobs pay in some other areas, but where I live, if you make upwards of 15 an hour in a clinic, you have hit it big.

Point-by-point replies... - NocturnalHooter

[ In Reply To ..]
1. "I am still an MT whether I work in an office or at my home office. Nothing has been lost."

Yes, something HUGE has been lost. You have lost face-to-face real-life contact with your boss. You have become an "email persona with no-name and no-face."

2. "Lots of men also work at home." Really? What percentage? Seriously. Of that percentage, how many of those men OWN their own businesses, negotiate their own contracts? Truly RUN and CONTROL their own lives? How many of the rest of them do what their "invisible" supervisors tell them to do via email? I'd be willing to bet real money that the ones who work "from home" more than 50% of the time actually ALSO control their own destinies in ways that women only dream of (meaning that they *CONTRACT* their terms of service, rather than *agree* to a line-rate with no guarantee whatsoever of work availability, times available, etc). Or ELSE.... they are salaried. Or ELSE... they submit a "time sheet" in exchange for an "hourly rate" and log 40 hours per week without too many questions asked provided they meet their employer's "general" expectations. NOT line rates. NOT piece-work. WITH FULL EMPLOYEE BENEFITS AS IF THEY WERE SCRAPING THE ICE OFF THE CAR EVERY MORNING!!! Yes, I also have a brother-in-law who works "from home" 50% of the time. And he's racking up $75K/year plus! And he's not an MT!

3. "People know well ahead of time (during the interview process) what the job pays." No, THEY DO NOT!!!!! "Piece work" is a whole different animal than hourly "time for dollars" rates. One never really knows ahead of time how many lines one can type. One needs to meet the dictator, hear the sound quality, etc. If one chooses to do that, one also prices oneself accordingly. One DOES NOT take the "client's" (aka employer's) word for it and accept a "line rate" sight unseen. Oh wait, that is what we have done as "professionals" when we have agreed that 8 cents per line is reasonable now, when 12 cents per line was reasonable back in 1995! Are we professionals? Really? It doesn't sound like it. It sounds like we're desperate! Or else foreign countries have absconded our jobs. Or else electronic medical records (EMR) have made our "profession" obsolete.

4. Yes, you're right. However, you WILL get multiple emails at 5:00 a.m. informing you that you HAVE to get on and work NOW. (If you choose not to, you WILL find that your accounts have been mysteriously turned off or have mysteriously "run out" of work. Nevermind that your shift was contracted to be from 3:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., and 5:00 a.m. is sooooo.... 10 hours OFF your scheduled shift!

5. "but this is 2011" Yes, it is. And Congress recently re-enacted the "99-weeker" extension for unemployment benefits. However, you WILL NOT get those unemployment benefits if you're working IC status, 24/7, for a company that sends you those aforementioned emails at 5:00 a.m., and neither will you be making even MINIMUM wage if you calculate the hours that you are "checking the system" for work and/or responding to emails forwarded to your phone, informing you to log in totally off your shift. But wait... if you ONLY work "your shift", you will have no work... Such is life in 2011 if you are an MT.

But if you have a "real job" where you have to scrape the ice off your car in January, and you "clock in" at work during your scheduled shift, they will either SEND YOU HOME AND YOU WILL FILE AN UNEMPLOYMENT CLAIM or you will make your PREVIOUSLY AGREED UPON HOURLY WAGE. You WILL NOT end up without a paycheck for those hours!!!! If you do end up without a paycheck for those hours, your state's unemployment office will hear about it!

6. "There are also men working in this field and they are facing the same issues we are." Really? More than 10% of the total workforce???? Really? I don't think so.... The 10% (okay, I'll stretch a bit and say 20%) that ARE... They are the exception that proves the rule! This is a female-dominated profession. And we are treated accordingly. This IS a feminist issue.

7. "Been doing this for 20 years now" Yes, I started out as an MT in 1984. It is now 2011. So that would be 27 years. And I would have been better off continuing my minimum-wage job at a department store and working my way up the corporate ladder and paying for childcare. Hindsight is 20/20. And now I am back in college working towards a degree that CANNOT be outsourced.

*end of late-night rant* :)

We all really are on the same side of the same coin. MT is a dying profession for multiple reasons, not just feminism, not just piece-work, not just offshoring.

Not to mention - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
Not to mention as an independent contractor, my problem with this profession and also the reason I'm in college to get my degree and get out of it, is the fact that around the holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas and summer vacation, my pay is literally cut in half. When the doctors take a vacation or a holiday, I am just out a paycheck. This is frustrating to me and I'm told that I'm supposed to save money for those times of the year! In this economy! I can't seem to save a dime. I have four kids and have done this for 20 years. It seems it's feast or famine in this profession and that's one huge reason I need out.

I agree with you NocturnalHooter...I've also been doing this since about 1987 and nothing much has changed or gotten better. The wages are still the exact same as when I started working from home for a hospital in about 1998. I worked for a clinic in 1987 and got paid 10 dollars an hour to work as a transcriptoinist, plus benefits, plus paid time off, and all the other little perks you get for working in an office. I gave all that up for what? Like you said, so I don't have to scrape ice off my car in the mornings? Everything goes up, gas, cost of living, but not my paycheck, which is why I stopped working for online companies as an IC and started just getting doctors locally who seemed to be willing to pay 11 to 12 cents a line...One doctor I get paid 13 cents a line. To me, that's worth it, and aside from benefits, I just can't see working for less than that.

I do have to say though working as an IC has allowed me to rearrange my schedule so that I can go to school and so that I could be there for my kids and some of their activities, and I am thankful for that.

Blaming - helps who

[ In Reply To ..]
I dont have the energy to point by point you.

I've been an MT (a professional one btw) for 35 years. I worked at home, raised my kids, also ran a side business because I AM WOMAN :) (Just had to throw that in there.)

As an MTSO, I made 6-figures for several years. As a grunt MT now, I make nearly $60k a year. I keep 2 companies going so I can do this but I only work 45 hours a week.

The decline in the profession wasn't because we are women, it is because of the nature of the profession. Transcription is a cost, always has been a cost and since the beginning of time it's been low-man on the totem pole. Doesn't matter if you have a vagina or a penis, technology was MADE for changing/eliminating this profession.

Because there are MTs who don't refuse jobs for low wages or who are willing to sit and hit REFRESH for hours on end doesn't mean the PROFESSION is in the dumpster. It means those MTs either don't have the skills or courage to go find other positions that still pay a decent wage.

BTW- I interact with my supe on a daily basis and the owner of the company responds whenever I have need to contact them too.

You're trying to paint the whole profession with your experience-brush and sorry, it just don't fly.
I dont think the decline is because of women but I think - women help it along by not
[ In Reply To ..]
wanting to openly talk about money, being willing staying at a bad MTSO, and not changing their skill set to keep up with the times.
My view on those thoughts - MS-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Women do not corner the market on not wanting to talk openly about money; that's a mind-set fostered forever by employers. Staying with a bad MTSO and not improving skill set: I have a master's degree in clinical psychology. I don't think these factors are necessarily female but rather a personality type.

It would be interesting to be able to do a study on how many people who are not willing to speak up for themselves in their lives gravitate to MT.

I've been an MT for what seems like forever and the MTs that are in my MT circle are all confident, competent, and speak up for their own needs. None of them are doing poorly in the field.

I know men who prefer fields where they can just be guided and paid and crave the status quo too, so I dont see this as a gender issue.
If I had a master's degree in clinical psychology, - I sure wouldnt be an MT...EVER!
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
I was thinking the same thing... - NocturnalHooter
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't imagine doing MT work if I was qualified to do something like clinical psychology. The whole reason I'm back in college now is to get an advanced degree in a completely different field that will never ever ever be able to be offshored and the societal need for which will never go away. I'm literally counting the days until I no longer need to keep the MT gig going while I become qualified for other employment. And yes, I still consider going back into retail in the meantime. At least I would know my schedule a week in advance and therefore know what my paycheck would be!
What are you studying? (Just curious, I cant - afford to go back to school). n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
n/m
B.S. in Criminal Justice, law school after that. - No worries about offshoring of lawyers... :)
[ In Reply To ..]
x
You would until you were licensed :) - MS-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I make nearly $60k a year as an MT. Counselor salaries in my area with a master's degree (non-licensed) are ALMOST at $40k.
Best I ever did was around $47K/yr, working - for $23/hr, around 2000, 2001. nmsg
[ In Reply To ..]
As an MT or therapist? - MS-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Hindsight being 20/20, I love that I have a degree I can fall back on if I need to, but I wish I'd gone in another direction. Despite it requiring 1/3 of the graduate credits as counseling, an MBA gets you a higher salary out of the gate!
As an MT. If I had a degree in ANYthing, I would - not be in this dead-end job. (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]

Re: #4 - At least back then, once you got home, - you could afford to turn the lights on.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

So sad to hear but if this is your reality, only you - can change it. I am not blaming SM

[ In Reply To ..]
you, just saying I hope you are working to change this. You deserve better.
I know I deserve better! That's why I no longer - even bother to apply with MTSOs. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
They're the cause of our problems, and I've been burned one time too many. I prefer to just hang on for now, and keep looking for either a living-wage MT or VR-editor job, or else something out of MT. Either that, or else welfare. Whatever it takes. But I'm done Fueling and Oiling The Machine.
Hope you get this rectified soon, anthing is better than - letting yourself be mistreated. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Actually, they're nice enough, not mean, they - just dont pay jacksquat. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
IMO, that is just passive-aggressive way of - mistreating a person. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
True. They gyp us on pay, but don't have to - look us in the eye every day, or -
[ In Reply To ..]
have to know the results of that lousy pay. I'd sure love to see any one of management get by on what I'm making per month.

Agree and Disagree - Depends

[ In Reply To ..]
Some MTs who are truly the "dime a dozen" are in the process of being weeded out at the moment. Unfortunately, some of the more seasoned MTs are getting caught up in this process as well. That will change in the end, which will probably be in the years 2014-2015.

I do not think many MTs are going to sit around all day with NJA for very long. First weed-out. Pay is decreasing across the board for all types of transcription. There is the next weed out, as some MTs will not be willing to accept 7-8 cpl and turn it into approximately $35,000 a year. They will refuse to accept that the $50,000 to $60,000 days are gone, even though most (not all) of them can not go into an outside job making that. Then, there are those MTs who do not consistently show up for their shift or have every excuse in the world as to why they can not do the minimum lines required for their company, as well as those who do not read feedback from QA, do not follow BOS when requested, and simply ignore accounts specifics.

When you think about what we do, where we have come from, and where technology is taking us, it will indeed take years for this process to evolve. Once we get there, it will probably change again but there will only be very skilled, knowledged, and reliable MTs left who can probably take this lower pay and turn it into MAYBE $40,000 a year. Some of us can not hold on that long and others of us have no choice.

Personally, short of leaving the industry, I do not believe there is anything that companies, MTs, AHDI, unions, or even clients can do about it.

I so agree with you! - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
I really think you hit the nail on the head with what you said! I was sitting here transcribing for a new doctor that I am charging 12 cents a line for and thought wow, my paycheck is going to be awesome but then I'm thinking to myself, am I charging too much? He dictates a lot and I work about 7 hours with just his account. I have a few doctors that I transcribe for in the area and charge them about the same, but he dictates a whole lot, then I started thinking, hell yeah, I deserve that kind of money because he is a difficult dictator and I don't receive any of the benefits that the people who work in the office do such as time off, compensation, bonuses or even a stinking Christmas card!

That may have been off the subject a little as to what you were talking about but I think it all boils down to the same thing, we are definitely under appreciated not only by employers but by society who thinks we "have it made" because we work from home. There is a lot to be thankful for but do we really have it made? Then these online companies wanting to pay 7 to 8 cents a line for someone who has 20 years experience...I get really offended by that, which is why I try and stay away from on line companies...I guess that may be picky on my part, but as long as I have local docs to type for that are willing to at least pay me well, I'm not going to complain too much!

Again, you made a very good point and said exactly what I've been feeling for years!

We only "have it made" working at home if - - MT Wordz

[ In Reply To ..]
we are content with almost never leaving that home for any reason.

If we are content with the "simple things" in life, such as simply eating one meal a day.

If we are content to cram ourselves, our lives, and all of our stuff, into a 400 sq foot studio apartment.

If we have little to no need for friends, entertainment, fresh air, exercise, or a life.

I agree with most of what you said, except for the - part about working from home. (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Granted, our employers are using our work-at-home status as an EXCUSE to treat us as non-professionals, but I think that's just part of the problem. After all, there are many other professional people who do all or most of their work from home, without having their pay and value as an employee continually lowered like we have.

One big reason working at home hurt us, in addition to being "out-of-sight, out-of-mind", is that we are now isolated from our co-workers and other fellow MTs. We can't communicate, compare notes, or tell what is fair or standard pay or benefits in this profession, other than on this and the "other" board, which is probably just a partial sampling of MTs across the country, most of us don't even know the names of our co-workers, let alone how to contact them.

That in turn has made it easier for employers to take advantage of their MTs. They knew that they could tell them (especially less-experienced ones) all sorts of B.S., and the MT would usually have no choice but to believe it.

Still, the other half of the problem DOES lie with us. I think it's in most women's nature not to speak up, not to fight, not to make waves... and instead, just keep their heads down, work hard, and try their best not to be noticed. I found this to be true even when I worked in-house. The supervisors seemed to prefer the meek, good-girl little MT over the one who would speak up, even when the ones who spoke up had good ideas to improve production, or valid complaints.

The big MTSOs and the transcription schools (some owned by MTSOs) have further cheapened the profession by producing more MTs than there is a realistic demand for. All the while promising new students "there is good money to be made", and yada-yada-yada.

Still, the fact that such a skilled profession has been turned into a low-paying, sweatshop "McJob" is a disgrace. It's a disgrace that MTSOs do this. It's a disgrace that this sort of shady business is still allowed to happen in America. And most of all, we are a disgrace to ourselves for not having stood up to this in the very beginning of the decline of our pay and our profession.

I don't yet think that all hope is gone, however. As more and more of us are forced from the transcription-end of MT into the VR-editing end (for even CRUMMIER pay than ever before), I think we still have a chance to organize and demand what our schooling, skill, training and experience is worth.

I think we have that chance because although they have found "replacements" for the physical act of listening to dictation and putting it in writing, both by VR and by ESL foreigners in depressed countries, they STILL have to have that work PROOFED & EDITED. They can't send it directly to the client as-is, in its raw form. We've all seen that work, and edited it. It's a joke.

MTs/VR Editors need to realize that what we are currentoly doing CANNOT be done by foreigners, or by machines. Without us, all their fancy gadgets, gizmos, glossy-glitzy websites, software, and promises, aren't worth cr@p.

And THAT is what I believe MTs should seriously consider "holding for ransom", if you will. I know what you're all thinking: "I can't afford to lose my job". Well, think about it - you can't afford to KEEP this job, either, right? How many of us are on food stamps, have been foreclosed-on, had their cars fall apart, lost their health insurance, or are living on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as a main diet staple? I would say most, nearly all, at this point.

Short of quitting, those of us who choose to remain in this profession, and especially those who are just getting into it, should consider at the very least, work slowdowns or sick-outs to start flexing our muscles. Organizing such a thing nationwide might be tough, but it's not impossible. Flashmobs, raves, and other underground events are staged every day via the internet. The current uprising in Egypt was organized over the internet. With a little bit of investigation and ingenuity, I think a cyber-uprising could happen amongst MTs, on order to get everyone on the same page.

And something needs to be done about AHDI. That group needs investigating. If they're lobbying in Washington right now to have their "credential" made mandatory, then MTs and VR Editors need someone lobbying in Washington in THEIR behalf, as well. AHDI needs to be exposed in the media. MTSOs need to be exposed in the media. Other workers in the U.S. need to know that although they may not be MTs themselves, or even know what MT is, that if the devaluation of our profession can happen to us, it can happen to any worker in the U.S. And already is, in some sectors.

Instead of internalizing our anger and disgust at this employment travesty, we should be letting it out in a BIG way. Since our employers have chosen to pigeonhole us into the VR Editor niche of medical transcription, they have now actually put us in a better position to start making demands than we've been in for 20 years. I would say at this point, that it's NOW OR NEVER.

OS is doing VR and sending it right to facility, no US edit. - It is happening now. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Remind me never to trust any of its clients with - my medical care! [shudder!]

[ In Reply To ..]
Well then, be prepared to carry your med file with - you at all times. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Actually, that prospect isn't all that far-off. - Enter the Microchip. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
How does info get in chip after subsequent visits? - An OS MT sitting at a PC somewhere? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I rather doubt it, Suit. - .
[ In Reply To ..]
No suit here. I am cynically interested in how this would - work. My use of big words SM
[ In Reply To ..]
should tell you I am MT. Suite, usually non MT type people, dont have our vocabulary. lol
I dunno. You sound awfully pro-offshore, to me. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
WHERE did I say I liked OS, I was in favor of OS? It amazes - me how some can twist SM
[ In Reply To ..]
a post to make it mean what THEY want it to mean. Being realistic is not being "for something." It is seeing things how they are and figuring out how you can make those things beneficial to yourself.
Rather, enter the cell phone/Internet for patient access - to main record, patient access
[ In Reply To ..]
to most but not everything in record. Clinicians open at a different access level. NM
Thank you. I was curious. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

OS can & is bypassing US edit. I think they had enough - years to identify the ppl that are SM

[ In Reply To ..]
good editors. Maybe those who came here for school and returned to do something to help their country? Jobs from MT are crap, but those that go through OS QA before coming to US edit, have been getting better. It doesnt take much to live over there. The $20,000 that many complain about here will get you a great living in a third world country. Of course, that amt would be for middle management. I think MT make much less than us, for now.

I think that if MTSOs are going to pay 3rd World - wages and/or hire offshore - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
then they should be REQUIRED to physically live in those 3rd World countries, themselves. No upscale mansions in upstate New York. No 40-foot yachts docked in Marina Del Rey. No, they should be required to go live and spend their jillions of rupees in the land where the Cow is King. (or Queen).
Lots of MTSO owners DO live OS. Nuance, Q, others. - Again MTSO wage is great life there. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Then they can have it. It could never compare - with living here on the West Coast.
[ In Reply To ..]
Agree.But if that is all you know, where friends, family - are, you would feel different. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Then why are so many of them moving to the U.S? - ??
[ In Reply To ..]
US is the land of opportunity. I think many are surprised of - the reality when they get here. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Know of mid size foreign owned MTSO and many that come here, go back. Also, often they will go there for couple of months, then come here for a couple of months. They tend to have huge families here. Cousins, in-laws and such, almost like compounds. Huge family support system.
It's the Land of Opportunity as long as you're not - already a citizen. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
That may be. Sounds like the topic for another - thread. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

You again! Haven't seen you in a few weeks. - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
You show up every so often to say that the MT profession is in a sorry state because women suck. Last I knew, you would just jump into other threads with your anti-women theories. Now you're starting your own threads! Sure movin' up in the world. You must be very proud.

Similar Messages:

Inner Dime Port
May 10, 2011

bilateral lower quadrant ___ s/l inner dime/dyme ports were placed. Thanks for any help ...

No MTSO Is Worth A Dime
Oct 04, 2011

What is it with these companies?  There is not a single company out there that is worth working for!  I have been through most of the natonals and they all stink.  even my current company, which I thought would be the one, stinks! (IMO) ...

This One Is The Doctor's Fault!........
Jun 28, 2010

I mean really! "Her creatinine is somewhat deranged at 2.1..........." ...

MOT - The Answer Why. Not My Fault. Not My Problem
May 07, 2015

Insane TAT contracted promises. Not my fault. Not my problem. Several new accounts brought on, but no MTs added to the pod. Not my fault. Not my problem. Apparently MM not getting enough new hires. Gee, wonder why. POD mistress apparently thought we were getting some new hires at least 3 weeks ago. LMAO. Not my fault. Not my problem. Plenty of MTs leaving. Gee, wonder why. Not my fault. Not my problem. I am looking forward to leaving. Hopefully, before this year is gone. Onl ...

E-MAIL BOUNCING NOT MY FAULT -- FINDING GOOD MT'S
Jun 15, 2010

I have been accused of posting on here without a legitimate e-mail.  Now, how can that be when MTStars REQUIRES e-mail validation to post on here. I cannot explain why my e-mails bounce back and do not get forwarded to me.  But I have in fact used a legitimate e-mail address here with MTStars requiring validation. ...

If You Find Yourself Employed At Nuance Through No Fault Of Your Own, With No Other Choice
Mar 13, 2014

Claim bankruptcy right away because soon you won’t be able to afford debt, and then you won’t be able to afford to file bankruptcy either, and you could lose much more than your self-esteem. You will probably eventually lose that. Buy a cappuccino maker because you won’t be able to buy fancy coffee anymore. You will know exactly what is in it too.  Keep the basics stocked: rice, beans, taters, nuts, fruit, eggs, flour, sugar, etc, because your food budget will be ...