A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Promising job? - office girl now

Posted: Oct 23, 2013

http://www.fftranscription.com/join-team.html 

It's a job - MT headed

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand that $10 per 15 minutes of sound may seem generous, but the average MT (not super fast, not super slow) transcribes 15-18 minutes per hour. If it takes you 15 minutes to transcribe an hour of dictation, you will be making $10 per hour.

where did you get that statistic i think it is wrong - omg

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

That's the one I've always heard ... - Anon again

[ In Reply To ..]
The statistic I've always heard is it takes 3-4 hours to transcribe 1 hour of recording. When I did general transcription that is what it normally took me, and I'm a fast transcriptionist, unless it was an incredibly clear tape and they spoke slowly, then maybe 2-3 hours.

Nope, it is correct - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It takes 3 to 4 times the length of the dictation to transcribe it. That is an average, too, so when you consider bad recordings that are slow and good that go faster, the times average out to 3-4x.

If an MT takes 2x or longer, that is a slow MT.

It is correct - MT headed
[ In Reply To ..]
The reason I know is because I had an MT job where we were paid by minute (base plus incentive). The level 3 MTs had a minimum requirement of 120 minutes per 8 hour day, which is 15 minutes per hour. I'm not super fast but I usually did between 16-17 minutes per hour (128-136 minutes a day). Our manager always said that the rule of thumb for transcription was 3 times the length of the dictation. We loved getting the "windbags" who hemmed and hawed because it helped our minutes, but hated getting the 1:00 or 2:00 in length reports.
Confused: Average is 3-4x (I agree), but 2x is "slow"? - For me, that would be fast.
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to do up to about 20 minutes of dictation per hour when straight typing, so 3x. If it was 2x, that would mean I could do 30 minutes of dictation per hour.
Oops! Sorry! - Need coffee!
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, I wrote that just after waking up. I was still out of my mind.

2x is quite good. 3x to 4x is fine for an experienced MT.

Sigh.

Similar Messages:

Radio Ad For An MT Seminar Promising
Sep 20, 2011

better wages than most people make (yeah right - maybe 10 years ago!), set your own hours (ha ha!) and every weekend off (how many MTSOs really let you do that!). I am tempted to attend just to see how bad they lead these people on.  ...

MT Schools Promising Big Bucks
Feb 25, 2012

First, don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be negative about this in any way and wish any new MT success. However, with this profession dying like it is and even very experienced MTs just trying to eke out even $10 an hour . . . It really aggravates me all of these MT schools and courses trying to suck innocent people in with their high tuition costs, etc. The fact is that nowadays it is akin to going and paying x amount of money to go work for $10 or less an hour. These schools/c ...

M*Modal Promising Me Big $$! They Need To Stop! LOL!
Apr 08, 2014

Okay, I'm about to get irritated with M*Modal.  Being laid off in Sept. due to M*Modal getting our accounts.  I think most of you have followed my story here lately so you know the scoop. Anyway, none of us are going to apply with MM, but MM will no take no for an answer!  They have asked us at least on 5 different occasions to test with them! Each time they say hurry, hurry so you can reserve your spot!  I cannot help but think of graveyard plot when they say that. ...

Just Curious, Which Kind Of TATs Are The MTSOs Promising
Feb 07, 2010

I remember in the late 90s, an op report at my company was 12 hours, a discharge summary was 48 hours.  I think H&Ps were even 8-12 hours; if there was one that was truly stat the hospital would call and it would be done sooner.  We were told the TATs and we watched out for them as a team (back when "team" really meant a respectful working relationship between the MTSO and the company).   ...

Help!!! Current Employer - No Work Versus Transcend Promising Work.
Mar 07, 2011

Okay, Transcenders/Ex-Transcenders.  I have not done VRE before - just straight transcription.  If it were down to not enough work to pay the bills and taking an offer from Transcend....you would or wouldn't and why???  Please???!!!!! ...