A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Paid by character - GAfruitcake

Posted: Jul 13, 2012

Yell Does anybody out there get paid by the character?  Are you making a living doing it?  I'm not.  I'm so broke it's pitiful.  Most dictations are very short and no money to be made there.  Quality is out the window also.  Just needed to vent. Sorry.

I don't think I understand(?) - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I certainly understand about needing to vent over this kooky mess so many of us are in....you have my sympathies! I don't know what you mean by paid by the character, though. Do you get this? I can't imagine how small a figure that would be when I was paid 9 cents per 65-character line at my former MTSO. So, do you mean you get paid something like 1/65th of that amount per actual single character? I'm no math whiz....I can't even calculate what a small fraction of a cent that would be!

Or do you mean something else? As I said, you have my sympathies. Going broke after many of were used to making a really good living for a long time is really rough.

paid by character - GAfruitcake

[ In Reply To ..]
We get paid a small percentage of a cent per character. It is just crazy.

Wow, have never heard of that method! - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
Either way (per character or per line) it's crummy pay. I wonder if being paid per character is slightly better, so you get paid for those fractions of a line....even if it's only one word.

Now that I think of it, I really don't know if my MTSO, which paid per 65-character line, paid us anything for those less-than-full lines!

Do you do only straight typing, or do you also do voice recognition? That must be a teeny tiny fraction of a cent for VR! Do you get paid for filling in the demographic screen, if your company has that? And how about headings and abbreviation expanders?

Sorry so many questions! Since I've just never heard of companies paying per character, I'm just curious about how that all works. Do you know if there are other companies besides yours that pays this way?

I feel like I'm in the dark about MTSOs. I never even knew how ANY of them operated until my hospital was outsourced to one in 2011. I'm sorry you're not doing very well. There are a lot of us in the same boat. :-(

I was paid that way - did not stick around

[ In Reply To ..]
I was paid that way once, but I did not last at the job for very long. It was more because of the clunkiness of the platform and how slow it was than being paid by the character, though. I was actually getting comparable pay to about 9 cpl for a 65-character line with spaces. It was such a strange way to be paid - this really tiny fraction of a penny for each character. The system was awful, though.

paid by line - GAfruitcake

[ In Reply To ..]
Platform is not very good and have to enter demographics.

Do they count and pay for spaces, too? - (no message)

[ In Reply To ..]

(post deleted by OP) - tmt

[ In Reply To ..]
My bad.

Makes no difference - Math Whiz

[ In Reply To ..]
It makes no difference if you are being paid per character or per line. Anyone platform which counts characters -"visible black characters" or including spaces - is actually paying you by the character even if they convert it to lines.

65 char x 1/65 of the line rate = 1 65-char line

The OP's problem with not making good money is not because the pay is by the character. It is because the reports are short. When they are short, you spend more of your time in unpaid activities.

Another poster who worked on a clunky platform quit because of the clunky platform. The platform issues were unrelated to the way the pay was calculated.

Think about it this way. If apples are 10 cents each and a bag of 20 apples is $2, you pay the same no matter if you buy them separately or in a bag.

Some people will buy 20 individual apples because they believe the bag is too expensive. They look only at the price for a whole item and ignore everything else. Sellers love that kind of person because they are so easy to rip off.

Math whiz, hee hee.... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
Wellll, while I said I wasn't a math whiz, I DID understand that being paid 0.00138(etc.) cents per character amounts to the same as being paid 9 cents per 65-character line. I just meant that I didn't have a calculator right next to my computer and couldn't figure out what fraction of a cent that would be in my head at the moment I was typing that. :-)

Does being paid per character turn out to actually be better for the MT because you're paid for those partial lines at the end of a paragraph, say, that might only contain a word or two (i.e., less than a full line)? And when your company pays you this tiny fraction of a cent per CHARACTER, is that strictly for visible black characters; or do they pay for the space bar stroke between words? I have heard of places that pay per line but only count actual VBCs; but then their line is considered to be a shorter, 55-character line.

Sigh....I never dreamed I would ever be calculating my compensation in terms of pennies (or fractions of pennies!).
You do have a calculator - Math Whiz
[ In Reply To ..]
There is a calculator in your computer. It will be in that little folder of handy stuff on the start button.

I do not believe any national companies pay by the gross line anyway, so whether it works out better or not doesn't have a hill of beans to do with this.

If you want to know if you are being paid for visible black characters or if spaces are included, ask the company.

It makes no difference if you calculate your compensation in fractions of a cent per character. Your computer has a calculator. To compare rates just convert to whatever you would like.

Similar Messages:

Paid For Spaces Versus Black Character Only
Apr 05, 2010

Just as an experiment...With Saince I typed about 12-13 reports, typed one that was 18 minutes long in the midst of the others.  It equaled a little over 400 lines (it was under 420). Now, with a job that pays for spaces, I typed one report 12 min long - 126 lines.  Typing 10 reports, I hit 424 lines. The Saince reports were standard type, most 1-1/2 to 2 pages long...ONLY 400 lines???  Most of the ones I just did this morning for another company were mostly 1 page long, VR, dis ...

If A MTSO Quotes A Pay Rate Based On 65 Character Per Printable Character Line...
May 20, 2010

does this mean they don't pay for spaces? TIA. ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

So Is A 65 Character Line
Nov 04, 2011

visible characters only?  Thanks! ...

Does Anyone Know About K & R Consulting? They Pay 65 Character VBC.
Jul 23, 2012

The daily line count is kind of high considering they don't count spaces if I understand VBC correctly. ...

Per Character Pricing
Jul 29, 2014

Just found out company has sold transcription account to Acusis.  What is the formula for figuring out how much per billable characters equal an hourly rate?  I'm going from hourly to per character and have no clue how to figure out what is a good price to keep my current income level.  I type about 130 lines per hour. ...

VBC (visible Black Character)
Jan 02, 2010

When did this start to happen??  By my calculations, you stand to lose 20-30% of your income.  If you have to type a space, why wouldn't you expect to be paid for it???  For me, VBC stands for "victim by choice," which I refuse to be. ...

QA Editing At 3 Cpl On A 65-character VBC Line???
Jul 28, 2010

I honestly think this may be the lowest paying position I've ever seen advertised on this site.  QA editing at 3 cpl and only for VBC on a 65-character line? Please, someone tell me I'm not reading this correctly...Please? ...

How Many Words Are In A 65-character Line?
Dec 02, 2010

I just want to know specifically how many words are in a 65-character line?  Thanks in advance ...

NetMed - Pay By Character Instead Of By Line?
May 14, 2011

NetMed.  They pay by character instead of by line?  So, we make at lot less money?  Any thoughts? ...

? RE: CHARACTER LINE COUNT - HELP PLS!
Jul 21, 2011

I've been offered an MT position with 55 characters per line, 80% MT, only 20% VR, but 0.08 cents down from 0.086 -  opinions anybody ASAP? MUCH Appreciated!! ...

PAY BASED ON 50-CHARACTER LINE
Aug 04, 2011

I WAS OFFERED A POSITION AT A COMPANY I CANNOT NAME AT 0.076 CPL WITH A LINE BASED ON 50 CHARACTERS, ALL TYPING, NO VR.  DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS WOULD BE EQUAL TO ON A 65-CHARACTER LINE?  IS THIS AN ACCEPTABLE PAY AS I HAVE NEVER USED A 50-CHARACTER LINE BEFORE? ...

What Is The Average Pay Per 65 Character Line
Jan 24, 2012

What is the average pay per 65 character line for a newbie? ...

Figuring Out Rate Per Character
Aug 22, 2014

Does anyone know how to figure out what the rate per character would be if pay is 14 cents a line at 70 characters per line? ...

Website Says Pay Is 65 Character Lines With Expander
Nov 04, 2009

.nm ...

Does Amphion Pay On A 65 Character Line With Spaces?
Jun 14, 2010

nm ...

Need Word/character Counting Software
Jul 15, 2013

Can anyone recommend a word/character counting software? Have used Sylcount Gold IV for years but it keeps bombing on me and I have upgraded and paid countless times. The help line is of minimal help. Thanks for anyones suggestions. Jean ...

Word Perfect 65 Character Count With Spaces
Jan 24, 2010

In Word Perfect, to count characters, you click on properties, word count, and then do you just add up the top two things, Characters and Words, taking that total and dividing by 65?  They are paying 65 character lines including spaces and I cannot remember how to do this.  I have WPX4. Thank you kindly.  ...

Being A Word Based Platform, Can't We Use Character Count
Jun 09, 2012

;) ...

What Is The Average # Of VBCs In A 65-character Line With Spaces?
Mar 06, 2013

x ...

Word 2010 Character Spacing Problem Question. . .
Apr 17, 2011

I now have a new computer and I am using Word 2010 to send files to the lady I work for, where I previously used Word 2003 - she says when she receives my files now the spacing between words is a lot, not normal, when it looks totally normal on my end, I don't know how to fix this, may have to go back to using the old computer and Word 2003, but that makes no sense.  Anyone know how to fix this? ...

What In The World Is A 65-character "virtual" Line With Spaces?
Oct 24, 2009

I saw an ad on a board for a company that pays this way.  I've never heard of a virtual line.  Does anyone know what this is and how is compared to a regular 65-character line? ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

Gross Line Versus 65 Character Line
Aug 19, 2010

Anyone know if 5 cents per gross line is good or not? Better than 10 cents a 65 character line??   A company is offering this to me & says that at least 1/2 of every report is templated but you still get paid for it.  I make 10 cents a 65 character line with the company I work for at this time.  Please advise so I can make a decision to test or not with them.  ...

Line Rate For 65 Printable Character Line
Jul 19, 2011

When a company states a line rate for  a "65 printable character line" does that mean they do not pay for spaces?    I saw an ad saying they pay the highest in the business, which was about 8.5 cents for 65 printable character line.  That to me says without spaces, as it is not a printable character, so that would be a horrible rate surely not one of the best in the business.  Wonder why there is no respect for our thumbs !!!!   ...

Character Count/line Count
Feb 23, 2011

Is this correct? I type 70,000 characters a day. I am paid by the 65 character line so I would divide 70,000 by 65 to get 1076, then multiple that by pay per line, say $.10 and get $107. If this is not correct then what is the formula? And what is the average number of lines per day? Thanks so much for the info. ...

Will We Be Paid For This?
May 12, 2010

When we run out of jobs we get paid min wage.  Do you think we will get that for this.  I don't want to have to make up a whole day's worth of hours or use my PTO for this. ...

Not Paid
Jul 13, 2010

How do you get someone to pay you that has not paid you?  Getting really aggravated about this and don't know what to do.  I have been given every excuse in the book!  ...

Am I Getting Paid Enough?
Jul 16, 2010

I've been working with my company for almost a year now and i'm wondering if I should start looking around at other compaines. I graduated from M-Tec last summer and got a job about a month later, they started me at 0.055 cpl, then in December bumped me up to 0.06 cpl. Since then I have been getting paid the same, while working a lot more. I just want to know if this is good and I should just stick with it, or look somewhere else. Any advice is appreciated! ...