A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

No work due to snow! - Geez.

Posted: Jan 13, 2011

We usually have plenty of work, as the company does not over-hire, and we even get OT frequently.  Right now, because of the snow where the accounts are located, there is very low patient load and work is sooooo slow we can't even make the minimum line requirement.  This could go on all winter!!!!!!

a little compassion, they are dealing with much more than you obvious imagine (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
They cannot even get to to grocery store, kids are missing school, not many showing up for work, the sick are S-O-L, trucks (daily life supplies) are not getting through....

you do realize when it clears you will be making up your check and then some. No need to whine.

I live in the south (Georgia) and we have been hit really hard with more ice than snow (sm) - GaPeachMT

[ In Reply To ..]
and it has caused everything to shut down. As the above poster stated, schools have been shut for days, grocery stores are running out of food because delivery trucks cannot make it through with supplies, businesses have been closed and even the police departments, fire departments and EMTs are having an extremely difficult time maneuvering through this stuff, if at all. Finally yesterday we reached a temp above freezing so that some would start melting off, however, last night we went back down to around 12 degrees so everything froze solid again.

I understand that businesses/people up north are better prepared for snow, we may get lucky enough to receive some here in Georgia once every 4-5 years, but ice is a completely different story. On the news they were talking to truck drivers who were bragging about experience with driving in the snow and then three major freeways around Atlanta had to be shut down completely because of these huge trucks jack-kniving and creating even more havoc (not blaming them by any means). Some of these truck drivers were stuck in their cabs on I-285, I-75, I-20 and I-85 for some 24-36 hours straight, in the middle of the interstate.

Needless to say clinics have been closed, the censuses at the hospitals have been down and therefore work, at least here in the south, has been extremely slow.

Tomorrow the temperatures are supposed to rebound and be back to normal and things will pick back up for everyone.

Georgia weather - mb

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right. The north has means to take care of the weather. We are so use to it. My husband's brother and sister moved to Georgia to avoid the winters we have. They told us how the State closes down when there is ice and everyone panics. They did not think it was going to be problem for them because they were use to driving in snow and ice but they said the ice is worse in the south because your roads are not treated. They said they have not had mail in three days. I hope you enjoyed the snow though.
They are right, our roads are not treated, our cities do not have enough of the (sm) - GaPeachMT
[ In Reply To ..]
equipment necessary to scrape, sand, salt and do whatever else needs to be done to the roads prior to and during these types of storms. The reason that they do not have the necessary equipment is because storms like this hit us so far apart that they cannot justify the expense of purchasing them, obviously they are quite expensive.

Well, unfortunately, I received more ice than snow, almost 3 inches of ice and 2 inches of snow. I absolutely love the snow but I can tell you that I hope that I never see another ice storm in my life. We were lucky enough to keep our power, thankfully, something else that in years past did not happen in the south. Generally when a winter storm hit power would go out sometimes for days, not now thankfully.

Hopefully summer will be here soon and of course in the south not only do we get the hot temps but the high humidity as well ... oh well a trade off I guess. :)
I was caught...bootless here in Georgia this week. - Pragmatist
[ In Reply To ..]
We had 6" of snow, with an icy crust forming, but mercifully not 3" of ice!

I had done some shopping ahead of time, looking forward to the snow, but totally failed to realize the stuff wasn't going to just melt and be gone in a day or so the way it always is. We've been very comfortable here on our little hill, but we can't drive down our driveway to get to our unplowed-anyway country road, the kids can't visit, no mail all this week, our closest grocery closed. Today neighbors with 4-wheel came and took my husband with them to the grocery store (we're out of ice cream and eggs) but couldn't deliver him and the bags up the drive, so he got to make multiple trips on foot.

And me, I never needed warm boots in California, and more than just few minutes out in the best I have, my rubber gardening muck boots, threatens frostbite, so I'm mostly just admiring it all from the inside. Corned beef on the stove, though. :)

lets not forget doctors are having a hard time getting around as well. NM - out of work 2 but understand

[ In Reply To ..]
x

compassion - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in Michigan but lived in Tennessee for 10 years. I remember my sons schools being closed if they even mentioned snow. It was too funny, being from the north. Yes, things are very different down there in the south. They just aren't prepared for all that snow. Even in the north, though, with the ice the way it is, it would paralyze things here too. Ice is much different than snow. Stay safe if you live in the south during this ice storm.

I live in the South too, and this has been a week - that I have been really

[ In Reply To ..]
glad that I work from home. I live on a hill and my driveway actually goes downhill. You cannot get out of it right now. I have just felt very fortunate this week that I am able to work from home as I probably would have been missing work this week. It has been a little slower than unusual as some of my accounts are in the areas affected, but there has still been some thank goodness! :)

Oh, me too--hill, driveway, glad to work from home! NM - Fellow Traveller

[ In Reply To ..]
x

No work due to snow? - Dinosaur

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a friend in Brooklyn who had a baby during the Christmas weekend storm. She called a friend with a four wheel drive to get her to the hospital just as labor started because she knew it would be a trek. Anyway, her doctor happens to be a family friend of her mom's for many many years. This friend had her baby and was to stay in the hospital for 48 hours post partum. Around hour 36, in the middle of the night, she was just dozing off after nursing the baby when she heard a voice from the other, previously vacant bed, calling her by her nickname. (She figured that she was dreaming, no one from hospital staff would know her nickname). She drowsily opened her eyes and saw her doctor resting in the bed next to hers! Her doctor/family friend apologized and said that she was so tired, she had not been able to get home in 2 days, just like a number of other doctors, and that there was no other place for her to crash and catch up on some sleep. She did not think that her patient/family friend would mind.

I don't really get why snow would change the workload for medical dictation. OK, maybe elective surgeries are being cancelled. But people still have babies, people have heart attacks from shoveling, and there are LOADS of orthopedic injuries from slip and fall on ice. My son is an EMT in CT and they got SLAMMED with calls during this most recent storm. So....why exactly is workload down during the storm/post storm?

To Dinosaur - mb

[ In Reply To ..]
I am from CT. Are you from CT? Where does you son live and who does he work for? I have a nephew who works for Hunters. We had 30 inches of snow yesterday.

CT and snow - Dinosaur

[ In Reply To ..]
No, I am not in CT, but sonny-boy lives in Waterbury. Am not familiar with Hunters, I know about AMR and Campion.
To Dinosaur - mb
[ In Reply To ..]
Your son lives about 1/2 hour from me. I have heard of AMR. CT has broke a record for the most snow since the blizzard of 1888. More is coming Saturday 2-4 inches, and snow/rain/ice for Tuesday. Last year we hardly had any snow.

The snow - Lower Arkie

[ In Reply To ..]
We got 5 inches of snow/ice layered, and believe me. I wish I worked from home right now. It took me 2-1/2 hours to get to work Monday. I won't go into why I absolutely had no choice but to try to make it to work. I drive 54 miles one way and half of the drive has some pretty big hills. Let's just say with prayers and very slow moving, I made it to work. Stayed the night in town and then came home Tuesday. We do not have the means to deal with the ice and snow here that the states in the north have. What may be small potatoes to someone in North Dakota is a big deal here.

Wow, my heart goes out to you and having to travel in this stuff (sm) - GaPeachMT

[ In Reply To ..]
My front yard looked like an ice skating rink, literally. I tried to walk out to my kennel to feed my dogs and it was so dangerous that I ended up coming back and putting on my husband's boots that have huge grooves in the bottom and that was not much better.

We had a friend whose brother slipped on the ice 2 nights ago, fell onto concrete landing directly on his head and is now paralyzed from the chest down. They have already performed 2 surgeries on him and believe that they may have to do another, not sure yet if he will ever walk again. He is only 24 but this is just how dangerous this stuff can be, does not matter if it is 1/2 an inch or 3 inches!

You be careful out there and hopefully you do not have to go into work again until it all melts!

Similar Messages:

Snow?
May 31, 2012

I've never heard of "snow" in an operative report.  He very clearly says snow, but I can't find it to confirm the spelling...Snow, Sno...etc.  Anyone heard of it? "Snow was then placed over the vaginal cuff, and over the top of that Interceed was placed to prevent pelvic adhesions postoperatively." ...

Yay! Snow Flakes! (nm)
Dec 16, 2014

/ ...

No Work Due To Snow In The Midwest!!!!
Feb 02, 2011

Usually swamped.  Clients located in the midwest not seeing patients.  Can't decide what to do, go out and play, read a book, clean my office, or take a nap.  I feel like I am playing hookie or something.  Very unusual to be bored on a weekday. ...

ETransPlus And Snow Bunny
Sep 08, 2011

Interested to know how eTransPlus is going for Snow Bunny.  She has been on this board for years...if in fact it is the same person.  She was always helping with words and such.  Intrested to see if this is a good or bad company and what she thinks.  It will take time though to see.  Even if good, eventually greed takes over for all these companies. Plus they all seem to have their favorites who cherry pick, so if you come on board, you have to work your way up the cherr ...

Note To Snow Haters...
Dec 04, 2012

seems to have no snow for now.  Guess they are all grinches over there.  LOL ...

I LOVE The Snow Flakes
Dec 06, 2012

I'm tired of reading the negativity about the wonderful snowflakes. Jeepers peepers people.  The snowflakes fall.  They are white, they don't get in the way of reading or writing the messages, they do not cause migraines or seizures or all the other faux complaints people are saying.  They just fall and then that's it.  It's just once a year that we have been looking forward to.  11 months out of the year you get your way and you don't get them, ...

Snow Bunny, For Doubting Thomases, Please Let Them Know
Nov 23, 2009

That the transcriptionist sitting at home is doing the dictating or re-dictating for the Dragon equipment. I told them about a friend who had and found it a time consumer. She was not an M.D., dictator, a transcriptionist who had hand issues. It is late here and I am heading towards bed but please let folks know about you can use it and teach on the home side. ...

MORE SNOW!!! And Power Outages. What Is The Policy At MQ On This?
Jan 07, 2011

I have been with Q a long time, but have never really been given a straight answer on weather situations knocking off your power (sometimes ultimately leading to the demise of refurbished, after refurbished MQ computers).  Are we penalized for this?  ...

Dear TSA: I Dont Care About Your Son Or The Snow
Feb 16, 2015

please spare us what is going on in your life. ...

LOVE THE SNOW FLAKES.... MERRY CHRISTMAS
Dec 15, 2010

6 Inches Of Snow And Counting And I Can't Play Hooky
Jan 10, 2011

There's con for working at home! ...

Echo Dictation Redux, Question For Snow Bunny
Oct 24, 2011

Ok, moving ahead with my plan to up my productivity by doing echo dictation,redictate the reports and up my straight typing speed using voice recognition software. Looking at the new Dragon 11.5 for 145.99 on Amazon.  Want to know if this will do the trick or if must I bite the bullet and get the Dragon Medical (with the 30,000 word medical dictionary) which I am sure is MUCH pricier. Wanna get started on this ASAP, and can have the product from Amazon in a couple of days. Suggest ...

Just LOVE The Snow Flakes. "christmarrrry" Smile
Dec 21, 2009

. ...

"snow-plowing" A Cardiac Vessel?
Oct 13, 2011

Has anyone heard this term?  I've been doing caths for 15 years and never heard this.  He has a heavy accent so it's not totally clear that is what he is saying.  The context is a cath report - "no intervention because of the risk of (s/l snow-plowing) the vessel".  Thanks! ...