A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Life's little instruction book - mtlive

Posted: Jun 29, 2010

I recently picked up a little book that was sitting on my bookshelf. It is called "Life's Little Instruction Book" It was written by a father for his son, and turned into a coffee table/bathroom book. It has 511 'life lessions' that one father wanted to tell his son. If you have the chance, you should pick it up. I thought I would share a few with all of you, I know I needed the reminder today:

1. Compliment three people every day.

99. Think big thoughts, but relish small pleasures.

137. Keep your watch 5 minutes fast.

139. Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all they have.

159. Be tough minded but tenderhearted.

165. Don't waste time responding to your critics.

173. Be kinder than necessary.

171. Wear out, don't rust out.

184. Don't quit a job until you've lined up another.

207. Swing for the fence.

213. Don't waste time grieving over past mistakes. Learn from them and move on.

245. Never cut what can be untied.

245. Wave to children on school buses.

249. Hire people smarter than you.

255. Purchase gas from the neighborhood gas station even if it costs more. Next winter when it's six degrees and your car won't start, you'll be glad they know you.

264. Don't nag.

268. Don't leave your car keys in the ignition.

279. Don't snap your fingers to get someone's attention. It's rude.

335. Ever so often push your luck.

341. Don't be fooled. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

354. To explain a romatic break-up, simply say, "It was all my fault."

358. Be decisive even if it means you'll sometimes be wrong.

421. Take care of your reputation. It's your most valuable asset.

508. Become someone's hero.

509. Marry only for love.

510. Count your blessings.

511. Call your mother.

life's little instruction book- I had it with me - newbie

[ In Reply To ..]
I had this same book with me, but couldn't located it when looked for it now, after reading your post. A very good book indeed!

Thank you for posting : ) - No message

[ In Reply To ..]
: )

Thank you for that - Vikefantam

[ In Reply To ..]
This is a very bad time in my life.

Marriage is ill. Parents did something bad enough to me that I disowned both of them. I will not elaborate because I need not darken my mood.

I just found out on top of some other health issues, at the age of 43, I have lupus (SLE). I guess that would explain why I had such a terrible time getting well last summer - one illness after another. Took an oral surgeon and massive outbreaks of canker sores to figure it all out. It took my grandmother's life. That was 36 years ago. I will fight it.

I'm an odd duck. I simply cannot stand for someone to see me doing them a favor. When my neighbor shattered his tibia and fibula and had to wear and Ilizarov, and I was stil working outside the home, walking my dogs at insanely early hours in the morning, I'd sneak his garbage cans back to his house after the trash came. I'd take newspapers to the elderly folks' homes during the winter because I didn't want them slipping on the ice, and tuck them right beside the door. I send anonymous cheery cards. You see - it mortifies me to be thanked for anything. Some things can't be done anonymously - the elderly lady at Wal-Mart struggling with her groceries, etc. I am just happy to know that maybe I brought a smile to someone's face. And that post is just beautiful - nice things to do for people. I wonder how many of them I can get away with unseen. If I can pass thru this life having made this world a better place, I'll die happy. Thank you for posting that. It's printing now. Wonder if I can get them all done. God bless you!

Well, I say thank YOU! - mtlive

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like you are my kinda gal ;-)

I sincerely hope things work out for you, with all the good Kharma you are putting out there, certainly you will get some back.

If you would like, please e-mail me, I'd like to send you a copy of this book from Amazon - there are now 3 editions and the "final" hardbound has over 1500 entries.

Similar Messages:

Where Are Instruction To Set Up Windows Live Mail?
Oct 12, 2014

I'm having a hard time finding the instructions on setting up the Windows Live Mail account for MModal. I found it once before awhile ago on the Innercircle but can't find them again. TIA ...

Dosing Instruction Help - S/L "per Oz" (as In Wizard Of Oz) - SM
Jun 12, 2014

Doctor dictated for the patient to take Subutex 2 mg, five tablets daily either sublingually or s/l "per oz." Thank you for your help! ...

How Did My Life Get So Bad
Feb 01, 2014

Yes I have known for quite awhile the end is near for MT but I don't know what I'm going to do now.   20 years ago I was the envy of the medical record department, the lead transcriptionist that everyone thought was so smart, and I made more than almost anyone in the entire hospital.  Now I just feel stupid.  I keep wondering how my life got so bad.  It's so easy to say go back to school! learn a different skill! and I know some my age (55) have done that, ...

New Life
May 25, 2015

Happy Memorial Day!  I think I may be starting a new life for myself.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past fourteen years for a neurologist. With his new EMR system he decided to do it himself. I have had an awful time trying to find a new job. These big companies are just brutal-on my self esteem as well.  My husband is in the healthcare field and he mentioned to me coding and I had just been thinking to myself about what could I go back to school for but couldn&# ...

Life After Transcription
Mar 22, 2010

I have just turned 52 the other day and seem to be developing quite a bit of pain in my hands and wondering if any one knows of a good career path for me to head into besides typing.  ...

Life Beyond MedQuist
Aug 11, 2011

Wish I lived in Massachusetts.  There is life beyond MedQuist.  Job Post I just ran across:  Manager of Medical Transcription About the Job Minimum of 5-10 years transcription needed, plus minimum of 7 years supervisory experience. Knowledgeable about MedQuist platform, able to train physicians on MedQuist dictation system and electronic signature. Day position with occasional weekends. Manager must be current in transcription abilities, ability to set up certain templates, ...

Medquist Has Taken Away My Life
Oct 13, 2011

My accounts just went 100% ASR with no email warning or team meeting!  It takes too long to edit these jobs because ASR is the worst!  It seems that ASR is better at ESL docs than people who have a wonderful American accent and it takes longer to edit people who speak perfect English.  They have messed with me so much.  I have 4 babies to take care of and can barely make rent.  Foodstamps only gives us food and I have no extra money for things like electricity and i ...

Thinking About My Life
Mar 16, 2012

After reading the last few threads, I have been asking myself some hard questions. Why do I continue in this job that I clearly hate? I can't make ends meet, I am bored, and I know I am being taken advantage of, so why do I make the choice to stay? I try to continually remind myself I have a choice. No one is forcing me to do this job. I can quit or do something else. I feel the same as the rest of you, slave labor, boring VR, no respect for our skills and talents and we should be pai ...

Life After Epic
Oct 19, 2012

Hi all, The hospital I work for will start using Epic next year.  From everything I have read, I understand that transcription will most likely be cut in half.  For those of you have gone through this already, have you seen any other jobs created AFTER Epic?  I know there may be editing, but should we expect anything else?   ...

A Day In The Life Of An MT - Priceless.
Jan 03, 2013

want a good laugh?     ...

Sucking The Life Out Of Me
Feb 03, 2014

I can't get through 2 hours without some major technical issue that prevents me from completing a report. The support department is sorely lacking in helping. When I do hear from them they have a cocky attitude and basically tell me they can't do a thing to help. I can't get out of here quick enough. WORST company I've ever worked for. No concern for employees and demands exceed reality! ...

Life Expectancy Of MT
Mar 12, 2014

With all this talk about the coding offer, what do you all think is the life expectancy of the current MTs? How quickly are we going to be phased out in favor of coders? Do you think MM will keep a skeleton crew of MTs on board and, if so, how will they be chosen? Do we hang on for however long and, once we're laid off, then collect unemployment? Or do we jump ship now? ...

Yes, Virginia, There Is Life After MM
Aug 03, 2014

In the last 5 months, I have been fired from MM after 16 years of dedicated service on my part (95.5% audit, buh-bye), have collected UE, applied for hundreds (literally) of jobs in the large metro area in which I live, cried on my husband's shoulder (the kindest and best of men) and helped take care of my ailing 92-year-old mom (what a sweetie). In the last month, my mom passed away (worried about me, not herself). In the last 10 days, my young dachshund passed away from lymphoma (e ...

Life After MMoral
Aug 29, 2014

Hello All, I quit on Dec 31st (new year, new life), couldn't stand working for MMoral another day.  It has been a long, hard 8 months (live in a rural area) with many resumes sent and many interviews.  I have been interviewing with Amazon for one of their Fulfillment Centers here in Southern California since June 21st (my first contact with them).  I received a contingency offer letter from them the other day (contingent on passing background check and drug test).  I c ...

Life After Transcription TIA
Sep 06, 2014

Hey all, after 10 years of being an MT, I'm thinking about jumping this sinking ship.  Unfortunately, I can't bear the thought of working outside the home again.  Is there any job out there that I can do at home that isn't a scam and is stable?  Or, if I have to work outside the home, what jobs are out there that my experience would complement?  I'm starting to get anxious with how things are going with MModal, my current employer, and waiting for that ax.  TIA ...

Life After Nuance???
Oct 09, 2014

Tried to leave a couple of times, companies I went to got bought out by Nuance.  Ready to try again.  I know no company is perfect, but Fiesa and their additional layers of QA are driving me insane.  They probably aren't too worried about losing MTs, after all they have enough QA and QC to handle it all don't they? My question is whether you have found it to be a good thing to jump ship and start over again with another company.  Have been considering Keystrokes bu ...

Life Insurance
Nov 18, 2014

Does Nuance deduct from paycheck for their life insurance benefit? I don't remember applying for it. ...

Life After Transcription?
Feb 18, 2015

What or where would you turn for employment if you are finally at the end of your rope with transcription?  I swear I do not have it in me to keep starting over when these positions of ours/mine, work hard, only for the accounts to be ripped out from under.. leaving you fighting for lines or looking elsewhere and having to start over!!  I have been doing this for so long that I feel sick and anxious, unsure where to even look for a job "outside"..... there, I said it.... OUT..SIDE... o ...

Thank You For Posting About Your Life With N
Apr 04, 2015

I left my "job" at N last fall and have now been with my new employer long enough to begin to have some complaints about how things are done/not done.  But I only need to come here to remind myself what I left when I left N, and I have to contain myself away from the desire to cover my new boss with big sloppy kisses everywhere!!!  Plus, yesterday was payday, and I have been able to replace all of the savings I ate through during my time at N.  My bank account is smiling again.&n ...

Life After Nuance
Jun 09, 2015

I quit Nuance in April.  I was apprehensive, but the patient safety compensation plan, where scoring 100% QA, but over 10% QC, droppping my pay week after week had taken its toll on me mentally.  Also, I was OOW daily.  I was certainly made to feel it was all my fault, but that is not what this post is about.  I am sure those reading this are already too aware of the stress, inconsistencies and unfairness of working for Nuance. I started a new transcription job.  Straight typing.  Hired ...

I Cannot For The Life Of Me Figure Out
Jun 13, 2015

Seriously, no disrespect, 25 year veteran here, but really.  I cannot understand why any of you who are the caliber I was, which I know is many of you, well trained, top notch, used to earn 40,000 without blinking an eye and denegrated to become minimum wage typists adhering to draconian policy.   The BEST thing I ever did was quit and immediately land a job paying 40,000 a year...simple work, not my dream job, but great benefits, they BEGGED me to take the job...even after offering m ...

Again, Life After Nuance
Jun 21, 2015

When I worked for Nuance, I came here and read this board daily while I was OOW--hoping through despair that things would change.  I have come back here twice since leaving, and it is almost painful to read.  There are other transcription companies that treat their employees much differently than Nuance.  I started with a new company.  The training has been amazing.  I ask a question, and the question is answered almost immediately through an IM that actually has a perso ...

Even With My Issues I Have Going On In My Personal Life
Sep 12, 2012

I am still getting out of this biz and going back to school.  I have panic with agoraphobia, but I cannot keep waiting for my SSI to be approved.  I have already been denied once.  The therapist I am seeing gave me hope and for that I am very thankful!  I found out I can go to a 2-year school and have my bills taken care of.  Thank God for that! ...

How Nuance Changed My Life For The Better
Feb 27, 2014

In my 3 years here at Nuance they have taught me the greatest lessons in frustration and humility I have ever experienced. They have forced me to learn how to be frugal and thrifty. They have taught me to earn extra income and streamline my life through selling a life’s worth of memories and tchotchkes by having rummage sales. They have taught me that you can find not only fashion, style and quality, but even designer clothing at Goodwill. They have taught me that paying cash is way bette ...

IMedX Is Sucking The Life Out Of Me
Apr 24, 2015

I loved the company I worked for before IMedX took over.  I type clinic notes, which is supposed to be Monday through Friday.  But IMedX has come along and changed the rules.  Doesn't matter that the clinics aren't even open on the weekend.  Any work that comes in on Friday must be done by Saturday. I got away from acute care and into clinic notes specifically so that I wouldn't have to work on the weekends.  I do actually have a life outside of work. &nb ...

Do You Spend 80% Of Your Life Worrying About Your Bad Job
Jun 13, 2015

It just seems to me that many MTs spend the majority of their lives worrying about the next bad thing that their employer is going to do to them. No solution. It just occurred to me that a lot of lives are gettng wasted hour by hour because of employer abuse or perceived employer abuse. Your choice. ...

New Lease On Life -- Cleaned My Keyboard
Nov 11, 2009

Didn't just wipe it down, like I usually do...this time I took it apart (it was disgusting in there -- I know how all the food & coffee got in there, but what about that enormous wad of dog hair???)  popped off all the keys & cleaned them with detergent, cleaned in, around, under keyboard cover.  Let everything dry overnight, put it all back together & voila!  Feels incredible.  I had no idea everything was so gunked up. (Hint:  I took some little snaps ...

Looks Like Frankenstein's Monster Is Back To Life,...we Shall See
May 21, 2010

x ...

Softscript Was The Worst Experience Of My Life
Dec 10, 2010

Softscript was the worst experience of my life.  Their software sucks - just about all applications within their program are slow, slow, slow - couldn't get any lines.  Go figure.  Do not waste your time with this company.  ...

Of All The Jobs I've Had In My Life, I Think Coding Is The Most Rewarding
Jan 16, 2012

Once you learn coding, it's fun! I've done so many other jobs in my life that I can't even count them. I can't think of many that were actually fun, but I think coding is. ...