A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Joint Commission has no idea there are still - medical transcriptionists??

Posted: Aug 02, 2013

What the heck are these MTSO companies telling them??  Joint Commission is only aware of a product such as Dragon or voice recognition products and only know the front end and the back end of the products, but have no idea of that there are medical transcriptionists EDITING THE REPORTS??? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o11asGi2zuc#at=16

This is Debbie on Facebook, PROUD TO BE A MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTONIST who has been fighting for MTs.  She spoke to the Joint Commission a few weeks ago.  This is a video of herself explaining what happened during the phone call. 

Enlightening, but not surprising.. - JudyF

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for posting this....

Wow. Shows why offshoring MTSOs get away with what they've done. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad she's at least making an effort, though it's a bit discouraging. Though I guess that it's better that they didn't know and that's why it is so bad, than they did know but didn't care. They do oversee medical documentation and quality, don't they? I would think they would have to be more educated on how a patient's record is actually produced. Aren't they the ones that came up with that dangerous abbreviation list?

On the other hand, if she succeeds in educating them or taking it further, once (if) they investigated what has happened to the industry and how we've been taken advantage of, there would be major changes ahead.

The Joint Commission has nothing to do with MTSOs - nothing

[ In Reply To ..]
MTSOs are companies. Nothing more. They are not accredited by any entity, and the Joint Commission has nothing to do with them.

But they do oversee medical documentation.... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
so how it is produced, people vs. machine, is a relevant topic, and one they shouldn't be so clueless about.

they are not engaged in oversight - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
there are a number of criteria involved in obtaining accreditation from TJC. As long as a facility meets these criteria, they maintain their accreditation status. TJC doesn't care about how the records are produced as long as the records meet the metrics they set forth. Similarly, they don't care where you buy your EKG machines, or how the nursing staff gets to work.
They should be... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
involved in oversight of records since it is a large part of patient safety. Those records and how they are maintained should also be included in consideration for accreditation. Also, regarding your comment on nursing staff, you do realize that the Joint Commission accredits staffing agencies, right?
of course I am aware that TJC accredits staffing agencies - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
As I said in my post, TJC doesn't care how the nursing staff gets to work. Did you not read that? I used to work for a staffing agency. TJC sets forth rules and regulations for their operation. They do not, however, regulate pay scale, they do not regulate whether you are American, and they do not care if the person typing the orders understands them or not - just so long as they are submitted correctly. Right?

"dislike" it all you want - but it's the truth - lol

[ In Reply To ..]

Maybe it's time that MTSOs ARE accredited. - Im sure few would pass accreditation. NM

[ In Reply To ..]

It won't be by Joint Commisssion unless MTSOs start - treating patients. anon/NM

[ In Reply To ..]
'
There is no reason why... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
medical transcriptionists could not fall under the umbrella of the staffing agencies that Joint Commission already accredits.
yes, there is a reason - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
This is not what TJC does. It's like saying drunk driving laws should fall under the purview of the Department of Motor Vehicles because they deal with cars.
exactly - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Debbie has no idea what the role of TJC is - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
She is barking up the wrong tree. It would be like calling the highway commission to complain about the price of automobiles or where they are manufactured.

It reads as if you want people to fail. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If they didn't care at all, they never would have set up the conference call, with 3 members no less. As she has pointed out (though you obviously are commenting with no knowledge of this), "the purpose of the call was to provide an overall picture of the problems in the medical transcription industry. It is my hope that the JC will recognize the need to employ quality standards to the process that will result in significant changes in the industry. Many of our issues are not directly relevant to the JC, but I do believe that a tightening of the standards would have a trickle-down effect."

At least she is an MT who is spending time trying ANYTHING to improve this industry instead of just complaining. Which is more than those here who are "LOL"ing her efforts. I recall these same people even smugly posting that she was lying about the upcoming conference call appointment because the JC "would never talk to her". That is why you are probably getting the "dislikes". I'm glad not everyone agrees with your complacent negativity.

I'm sorry you think that - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, I don't want people to fail. I want people to succeed. That's why I think it's a good idea to address issues to the appropriate parties.

Second of all, I do have knowledge of this; I don't know why you would assume I do not.

Third of all, this has nothing to do with complacent negativity. This has to do with positive intention and directing advocacy to the appropriate entity. Anything less serves no one other than the person receiving the membership fees.

JCAH inspections - JudyF

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder whether JCAH lets the facilities know when they are coming to make an inspection? In my RN days, the hospital knew when a JCAH inspector was coming, and spent a great deal of effort in getting things in order, even if only for that one week.

They started coming in unannounced... - several years back.

[ In Reply To ..]
They do give an approximate time tho, like what month IIRC.

I'm not surprised that the higher-ups are clueless - MTBankAccount

[ In Reply To ..]
that live transcriptionists clean up the mess that is VR and offshored transcription. I'm sure most believe what the MTSO has told them - that both of the above are viable alternatives to live US MTs doing the work.

Those of us who edit that junk are their DIRTY LITTLE LESS-THAN-MINIMUM-WAGE SECRET. I've been saying for a long time to anyone that will listen, that although we have no clout at all as MTs, we've got a LOT of clout as editors, if we would just use it.

As little as ONE DAY of medical editors just sending the unedited, messed-up VR and offshore transcription through, without cleaning it up, would be an excellent "warning shot over the bow", so to speak, and if it didn't get their attention they would be fools, because Step-2 would be to stop editing for a full week. Then surely they would be forced to realize that going any longer than that without Medical Editors would likely put them out of business soon thereafter.

I don't know.... - also-anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Our docs went to Pscribe and are self-editing reports. They send perhaps 5 reports PER week on this high volume account to an editor. They are making MAJOR errors - dictating on wrong patients, right vs left and r/l vs bilateral conflicts, wrong body parts, not grouping orders on procedures (i.e., contrast orders, tomosynthesis, post-procedure x-rays, fluoroscopy), putting in incorrect author names. After dictating "Report revised due to transcriptionist error", they started blaming the technicians or the software for their multiple errors. They do not care. Only a minority does give a hoot. Can't blame this on the MTSO. They're also dictating 2-3 days past the deadline, a clear HIPAA violation.

It's all becoming a moot point, anyway. Medical - transcription/editing is circling the drain.

[ In Reply To ..]
You know how, when a person reaches a certain stage of starvation, it can no longer be reversed, regardless of whether they are fed well, because their body is shutting down, feeding off of itself, and they're going to die anyway?

That's medical transcription in a nutshell.

-MTBankAccount

because it's not relevant to them - they have NOTHING to do with us - research JC

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

But it would be helpful if they did... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That's the point! Not sure why everyone is missing that. It would be helpful for us and for patients if they were involved in oversight of medical records and who and how they are produced. Medical records are an integral part of patient care and safety. Why this is being downplayed here, I have no idea.

TJC accredits - they DO NOT oversee - what do you not get about this

[ In Reply To ..]
You need to understand something: The oversight of the records we produce is done by the dictator.

You seriously misunderstand something here - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Joint Commission does include medical record in its purview. It stipulates what is to be in them, how they are kept, and when they need to be done. You can google to find their lengthy list of requirements.

When they inspect hospitals, they do so unannounced. They review medical records during their very thorough inspection. You would not believe the detail they look for. They relate what they find to actual patient care.

As someone else keeps pointing out, HOW the records get typed is not their concern any more than how the nurses get to work is their concern. WHERE the records get typed is not their concern. WHO puts them in the chart is not their concern.

When they find inaccuracies in records that affect patient care, they WILL cite the facility.

What you seem to be missing is the understanding that the report you turn in to MM or whomever is NOT COMPLETE YET. You are outraged over the errors made by VR and Indian MTs, but you don't grasp that the physician is ultimately responsible AND THAT HE EDITS THE REPORT BEFORE HE SIGNS IT. Yes, he can do that. If he does not, then any problems fall on his head.

Nobody cares about spelling, capitalization, or punctuation, either. All those "critical errors" your MTSOs whang you for don't matter. They don't affect patient care or anyone's ability to understand the record.

And, no, those "errors" do not affect anyone's ability to code or bill that record. No coder is so stupid that they cannot read right around them. They understand VR errors just like you do. Just like they understood the new MT's "baloney amputation" before VR ever came along. And you know what? If it is that bad, they just ask the doctor to fix it.

I was an MT, have heard and seen VR reports, and do know what I am talking about.

Keep spreading false information... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You are ranting on and on about how the physician is the only responsible party. You are wrong in that. I assume you are one of the people on the conference call? Anyway, you are clueless. Carry on spreading your misinformation. It is not you who will be responsible for errors. I suggest all MTs understand exactly who is responsible for what. You might be surprised to know that you may not be completely without liability.
the posted information is accurate - fyi
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't understand why you think the poster was ranting on and on. IMO, she explained the salient points reasonably and effectively.
Check out the Precyse case.. - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Nothing more to add. Facts are facts. I'm not going to waste my time arguing with a suit, which that person clearly is.
precyse case - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The Precyse case is an example of a complete breakdown in healthcare management protocol.

I don't think resorting to name-calling is any kind of defense.
Familiar with the Precyse case - Not a suit
[ In Reply To ..]
The error in the Precyse case occurred due to a failure of a caregiver to follow established hospital procedures. She should not have used the record whether it was correct or not.

While it shocked everyone that the records went overseas and has so little oversight, the problem was using the record as a source of a drug dosage. It was supposed to have been confirmed.
exactly - thank you, sensible poster
[ In Reply To ..]
Responding to yourself again? - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
It's laughable, really, the extent that some will go to in order to try and make their point. Move along...
MT... - sm means see message
[ In Reply To ..]
No. I am not responding to myself. I was indicating appreciation for another poster's remarks. Please do not tell me to move along. That could be construed as you telling me how to post, which is forbidden.
Nope, not me - Happy someone thinks I am sensible
[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Similar Messages:

Joint Commission Petition For MT
Nov 26, 2013

Hi! I just signed the petition "Joint Commission: Petition the Joint Commission to develop medical transcription and documentation standards." on Change.org. It's important. Will you sign it too? Here's the link: http://www.change.org/petitions/joint-commission-petition-the-joint-commission-to-develop-medical-transcription-and-documentation-standards?share_id=mbSfJURsfk&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition Thanks! Wendy ...

Joint Commission Conference Call.
Jul 01, 2013

This is on Facebook. mymt.me shared a photo. ...

Joint Commission Conference Call
Jul 31, 2013

Does anyone remember the post about the Joint Commission Conference Call that was supposed to take place on July 23? I am wondering if this call took place and what the result was. I don't see anything on the poster's facebook page, but I am not savvy with facebook. I'd be curious to know the outcome, if any. http://forum.mtstars.com/489327.html ...

Joint Commission SR & Outsourcing Overseas, Sm.
Apr 27, 2015

This is a Must Read. http://www.jointcommission.org/issues/article.aspx?Article=fddvQj8uTBdf1nykmE%2fNC8KiB5mn4Rgtazo2HZz3fmw%3d   ...

Joint Line Vs. Jointline/joint Space Vs. Jointspace...
Sep 16, 2014

I've seen these (and used these) words both ways interchangeably and my boss has never said anything, but I was wondering which was correct... or if these are the type of words that can go either way depending on how they are used in the sentence.   I appreciate any help/views you all have.  I've seen it both ways online and in my old textbooks.   Thanks! ...

Basal Joint Versus Basilar Joint
Jul 16, 2012

Are they both the same thing? I've had doctors dictate both and was curious if they meant anything different than thumb CMC? Thank you :-) ...

Commission?
Sep 28, 2011

Has anyone heard of being paid a percentage (aka commission) only on the lines their "team" produces for the client?  ...

Do Other Industries Who Work On Commission
Aug 12, 2011

clock in such as real estate agents and car salesmen?  Can they work more than 8 hours to make more money?  I can't believe any company gripes because we work TOO much!!!!  Kind of funny if not so tragic. ...

MIP Joint?
Oct 22, 2009

The doctor is saying MIP joint referring to the hand.  I have heard of MCP joint but not MIP.  Any input?  ...

SI Joint
Sep 02, 2010

"Check x-rays of the hands and the SI joints.  The patient had a limited Schober's, but it is unclear if it was related to the discectomy procedure or an inflammatory arthropathy.  The SI joint 's/l thumbserckets' a lower part of his lumbar spine, and it can be assessed for possible syndesmophytes."  I'm at a loss as to what that word or words could be. ...

TMP Joint
Feb 10, 2011

He presented with right prepatellar bursitis and also left index finger septic arthritis.  He was seen by orthopedic surgeon who did incision and drainage of both right prepatellar bursa and left first s/l TMP joint. ...

Tibiotalar Joint ?
Jun 01, 2010

Review of x-rays revealed calcaneal spur.  Mild and degenerative changes in the talonavicular and tibiotalar joint areas. I see "tibiotalar" in my word list, but not in the medical dictionary. He clearly says it.  Thanks     ...

Joint Numbering
Jul 22, 2010

The right hand demonstrates MCP swelling with marked limitation of motion 2-5. Is this correct or is it II-V? ...

Scaphoradial Joint?
Mar 15, 2011

Is scaphoradial a word?  Should it be scaphoid radial joint?  Unable to pin down.  Help please.  Thanks. ...

S/l Subcon Joint
Aug 22, 2012

He says, "After identifying the deltopectoral interval, the "subcon" joint and subdeltoid space were identified."  I can't think and don't find anything starting that way in Stedman's Ortho - actually he says "subcon" and I need to spell it out.   thank you. ...

Shogarts Joint In Foot
Feb 26, 2010

I have looked everywhere and am stumped.  Anyone ever heard of Shogarts joint?  The sentence is -   His foot is nontender through Shogart's joint.   Any help greatly appreciated.  Ty ...

S/l Ageefacee Joint Arthritis
May 05, 2011

Doc says: "Patient has some s/l ageefacee joint arthritis." In googling I found "age facet joint arthritis" but I have no idea if this is right. Can this be right? Who pronounces "age" as "agee"?? I also thought "facet" was pronounced as "fah-SET." This doc is not ESL. He is usually clear as a bell. Does anyone know what "ageefacee" might be? Or is this guy yanking my chain?? (Yes, I'm paranoid <g>) ...

Balar (?) Joint Of The Wrist
Jul 07, 2011

The patient has a painful wrist and the doc says what sounds like "balar" joint.  I've never heard of it and looked up joints and bones and just cannot find this.  Sentence is:  She is tender along the _____ joint on the left wrist. ...

How Would You Transcribe Joint Mobed
Dec 06, 2011

I do not believe mobed is a proper word.  The sentence reads - He wanted to be joint mobed today.  It sounds weird, but I just don't know if there is a proper way to put that. ...

Joint Hand Screw
Apr 21, 2012

Looking if this is correct:  1.3 x 9 mm "AMI joint hand screw" or "AMIO hand screw" for a metacarpophalangeal joint fracture. ...

When To Joint AHIMA And AAPC?
Jun 28, 2012

I am currently in Andrews and wonder when would be a good time to join these organizations? I checked out AHIMA and their student designation is only for approved schools, and since Andrews is not, I would have to pay the full price of $165 before taking the CCS exam. The exam itself costs 299 for members and 399 for nonmembers. For AAPC, their student membership costs 70 and does not seem to be tied to "approved schools." I'm just a low-paid MT and wondering if I should spring for thes ...

S/l MTP Joint Pain With Shucking?
Nov 25, 2012

Anyone know what this test is and how to spell? ...

Sacroiliac Joint Questions
Jul 28, 2014

I'm working on a spinal surgeon's description of his findings on a patient's x-ray.  It sounds like he is saying, "A/P view of the pelvis shows no (s/l) hypo- or hyper- sacroiliac joint pathology of concern." I have never heard those two words put together before and I'm not sure what he means.  This is also a doctor who uses "dermatomal" consistently like it's a real word, so he may have made up another new word for himself.  Either way, I appreciate any ...

S/l Hiltsax Deformity, Glenohumeral Joint (nm)
Nov 04, 2009

. ...

Help With Joint (is It Obscuring Or Scarring) At Least It Sounds Like That
Nov 26, 2009

the sentence is like this:   CMC joint mild obscuring/scarring noticed.   the doctor is American (looking)  but sounds like donald duck :)) i think he is from korea or somewhere ...

Charcot Joint With Severe Rosemary
Dec 28, 2009

Sounds like doc is say Charcot joint with severe "rosemary."  Has anyone ever heard of this? What could it be if not rosemary?  Thank you. ...

S/l FERTIL Injections For Joint Pain
Aug 12, 2010

. tia ...

Fibrotibias Joint Space Narrowing...
Sep 20, 2010

"X-rays.  Hands - OA, osteopenia.  Knees - s/l fibrotibias joint space narrowing.  Left knee - mild tricompartmental degenerative changes."  I thought maybe she was just mispronouncing fibulotibial, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking something else.  Thanks! ...

S/l Lin-holsing Line?? Temporomandibular Joint Arthroscopy
May 02, 2013

He says it numerous times throughout report, but I just cannot get it :( Here is one of the sentences it is in:  ....20 mm anterior to the tragus and then 10 mm inferior to the s/l lin-holsing line.  Thanks for any help.   ...

Just Read Where A Burger Joint In Michigan Is Paying Employees $15/hour, S/m
Sep 11, 2013

nice to know flipping hamburgers is worth more than health information! sarc ...