A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is this legal for a company who hires IC's? sm - OTIer

Posted: May 07, 2011

We are REQUIRED to fill out a monthly schedule (on Bayscribe) telling how many lines we plan to do each day. I have talked to others who have missed working on a day they said they were going to on the schedule, and the management has confronted them about that.

We are IC's. That isn't legal, is it?

Completely illegal - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, completely against all rules of the IRS, DOL, and state labor boards. I'd report and maybe you'll get a "whistle-blower" percentage of the penalties. Maybe that's how we make up the differences in our pay these days!

Bogus - momXthree

[ In Reply To ..]
A company is certainly alowed to give IC's a daily/weekly/monthly quota, although they cannot demand specific hours, provide you tools to do the job, or in any other way treat you like an employee. The IRS has specific independent contractor rules and expecting a quota to be met does not break those rules. How would anyone run a business if the staff just worked whenever they wanted and did whatever volume of work they felt like.

Xmom - they are not demanding any hours, the are ASKING her when. - what are your hours not HERE are your hours.

[ In Reply To ..]
just sayin'. they demanded nothing.

Completely LEGAL - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you seriously think contractors have ZERO accountability? That's not how it works. You are providing a schedule and you are expected to provide the services you have COMMITTED TO. Where in the world would anyone find that illegal?

This seems fair as long as they aren't telling you - IC-MI

[ In Reply To ..]
WHEN you have to do them. It seems reasonable to let them know what you can be expected to do within a day, otherwise IC status turns into an excuse for irresponsibility.

Ideally, an IC should tell a client if they cannot meet that commitment (whether they are sick, personal, or emergency) out of courtesy.

I am an IC, but if I was the client who hired me, I would want to know why I/you didn't work when I/you said I/you would. I don't care when in the day you do it, but if you commit to provide me a service and you don't, I think I would have the right to ask you about it.

Not being snarky, just sayin' ...

OTIer - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
It is legal as long as they are not telling you what specific hours to work. They need to get some sense of availability/work flow, etc. for TAT. The place I work does the same thing. I have no problem with it.

It is certainly legal - nutzarella

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been one of those who filled out a schedule on Bayscribe as a statuatory and regular IC AND survived an IRS audit. They are not telling you when to work. Rather, you are telling them. That is the why it is legal. They are not telling you when on the day you commit to working. You decide that. They are not telling you how to produce your work other than perhaps giving you client specifics, which is also legal.

Even IBM or BP hires ICs for jobs and tells them when the job has to be done. Just because we are MTs the rules aren't changed.

Not sure why you have such an issue with this since you determine sm - Colorado MT

[ In Reply To ..]
your own schedule, which is what an IC is supposed to do, I thought. It was explained to me that they just want a general idea of when you are planning to work and how much you plan to do. I have missed a day and/or not done as much as I planned and no one said a word to me. Other than the pay being a bit low, I have nothing bad to say about the company. They have been good to me.

If you had your own clients, don't you think they would expect to know when they would receive their work back?

yes, you are telling them, they are not scheduling you. you have THEM working - around you -

[ In Reply To ..]
want more? the only thing left is getting your own accounts and making more money.

Of course it is. How else can they provide coverage? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They are not telling you when to work. You are telling them when you are available to work.

Management *should* confront an IC who agreed to work a schedule and then failed to do so.

When you hire a plumber, aka an IC - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
is it LEGAL to ask them when they will complete the work you are CONTRACTING them to do?

Of course it is! Perhaps you are confused about what an Independent Contractor is?

I am not saying I'd like having to complete such a form for a month in advance, but then if that's their terms, you can choose to pass on the job, or only commit to lines you KNOW you can meet.

NOT LEGAL - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
When you hire a plumber you are not a business hiring them, you are a private individual. Furthermore, you are not hiring them as an IC, you are hiring them as a business to do a one-time job. This is not the case here.

What this is equivalent to, is a construction company hiring a plumbing company to do subcontract work. My family is in the construction business and I can tell you, when you hire a plumber IC, they tell you when they MIGHT be there to do the work, but they give you no absolute time or day or even week. They show up when they can schedule it. And believe me, if they do give you an exact time, then you don't want them doing your work because it means their work is so bad they don't have any other customers.

More importantly, as has been discussed multiple times on this board, most MTs are not legally an IC. Except in a few rare instances, the only time a MT legally should be working as an IC is if they are contracting with a hospital or a doctor, in other words, a business whose main service is NOT medical transcription. Look at IRS form SS-8.

I also quote from this website the following sentence (and there are many other sources of information to confirm this). This is about someone hiring someone to cut their lawn for the summer. If you read the entire article another thing you notice is the contract specifies an end date and is not open ended. That is another reason why MTSOs cannot legally hire MTs as ICs:

"The lawn person schedules my lawn cutting to work with h/her schedule and route. I do not control the 'when' of the work."

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/are-you-really-independent-independent-contractor-vs-employee-status-435241

Of course, my words are just feathers in the wind, because as stated above, this has been discussed so much on this board and it goes in one ear and out the other of most of the readers here.

you know, though, every job you listed is not a 24-hr business nor service. - hospitals are, takes some semblance of staffing co

[ In Reply To ..]
. just sayin'

It really doesn't matter what we all think--but what's the IRS definition of IC! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html

Or Google IRS rules for independent contractor.

Our opinions and definitions mean nothing--we don't audit MTSOs. The IRS, DOL, and state boards define ICs and use of them.

And those rules are about as black and white as a giraffe - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I've sat in seminars with attorneys regarding the IC rules and any attorney worth their salt will tell you it's very individualized and they are not as strict-sounding as every MT wants to believe they are.

They are allowed to ask what hours you will be working and to expect you will be there those hours. Anyone who would try to take that to court would be wasting lots of time.

Similar Messages:

Can Someone Suggest A Company That Hires IC? I Can't Work For A Company That Offers Insurance.
Feb 17, 2014

Xx ...

I Hate When A Company Hires You And Says...
May 12, 2015

There will be plenty of work...then hire several more MT's, and you discover that you all were most likely hired to clean up a backlog. And then you end up with several MT's fighting over a few jobs. Ugh. I can't wait to get out of this industry. ...

Newly Graduated, Again Is There A Company That Hires New MTs
Jul 11, 2010

From this board, one would assume that there are quite a few graduates out there looking for jobs. I find myself in this uneviable position. Are there companies who hire new grads? I am beginnning to believe that are none.   ...

Is It Legal For A Company To...
Jun 29, 2010

...require MTs to work 40 hours a week as a full-time employee for less than minimum wage?  I am considering filing a class action lawsuit, but I'm getting my facts straight first. ...

FIRED DURING COMPANY-APPROVED LEAVE OF ABSENCE...IS THIS LEGAL?
May 28, 2013

I was "terminated" after within 1 week of my company-approved (FMLA) leave of absence.  The excuse they used was that my company "could not accommodate" a leave of absence for the extended period of time that I would be out of work.  I needed the extended leave of absence because I had CMC arthroplasty with pin placement.  My surgeon gave me a written note that stated I would be in a hand cast for 6 weeks followed by 6 weeks of physical therapy, and he would not ...

Hires New MTs
Jul 02, 2010

In my ongoing search to find a job, I came across this company that I thought I would pass along. It is Northeast Transcription Inc. and their site says they hire new grads (within the past 6 months). You have to be able to stand on your own from the start - there's no mentoring or special support, but it would be worth checking into. Good luck. ...

To All You New Hires
Oct 04, 2012

I wish I could be happy for you; however, the MTs on my account have been out of work for the better part of the week and we were informed recently of the plan for the company to add more MTs to this account. Great, more of us sitting around out of work. Welcome to the company. ...

New Hires At AHD
Feb 13, 2014

Any of you folks started working for them yet?  ...

New Hires
May 04, 2015

I notice in their multiple job postings that Nuance mentions "a steady flow of work" and a "sign on bonus"..... I am just wondering how many of you new hires out there have actually seen this bonus come to fruition....or the steady flow of work??? ...

MQ Recent Hires...
Dec 29, 2010

So did anyone who trained in the last month start working yet?  How's it going?  Any insight to offer those of us still waiting to start?  I'm kinda freaked out at everything I read here and I truly should stop reading it; however, it's like a train wreck I can't seem to look away long enough to give myself perspective.  Add to that that I'm already depressed for other reasons and things are not looking so hot in my neck of the woods on any level.&nbs ...

Does Anyone Know If MQ Hires PT MMEs?
Feb 16, 2011

x  TIA ...

SoftScript Hires IC's?
Aug 12, 2011

Does anyone know if SoftScript hires IC's?  Thanks! ...

Does Anybody Know If Keystrokes Only Hires
Sep 06, 2011

full-time positions or do they have part-time positions as well?  TIA ...

Transtech Hires IC's
Sep 18, 2011

Can anyone tell me if Transtech hires IC'S?  Thanks! ...

Anybody Know If Transcend Hires P.R.N.? Nm
Jan 09, 2012

X ...

So MM Is Offering 7 And 3 To New Hires Now??
Apr 18, 2013

As per the post below, 7 and 3 pennies per line.  Seriously, when will the madness end?! They have got to stop treating us like "typists." Actually, even a typist would make more than that.  You'd be making like 7 bucks an hour!! Oh I am just hopping mad right now. This company is just appalling.  Glad I am planning my escape. ...

Medical Ink New Hires
Mar 31, 2014

I was wondering if any of you have had work yet on the account that starts with K and is in CA.  I have not had any yet and made my hours in the early morning until early afternoon.  Thinking I may have to switch but will give it some time for the dust to settle so to speak since it is a new account.   ...

New Hires At Patient First?
Jun 22, 2014

Anyone recently hired by Patient First?  How long did the whole process take?  It seems like things are moving really slow. ...

Medscribe New Hires.. How Is It Going?
Nov 02, 2014

Anyone willing to tell how they like working there?  Does there seem to be enough work? QA seem fair? any info helpful. thanks. ...

What Is IMedx Like For New Hires?
Dec 18, 2014

Is anyone willing to share their experience with iMedx and what it was like for you starting out? What is their QA like, are they nit-picky & did it take a long time to be released from QA to live work? How is pay? Is it easy to obtain a decent line count? Do they micromanage or leave you be to work? Thanks! PS - I know there are tons of recent threads on them, but none of them address my questions. I am hoping to hear about experiences as a new employee. ...

Twenty New Hires
May 24, 2015

My supervisor tells me today that her supervisor greenlit the hiring of 20 new team members for an account that never materialized.  Genius...  Who is managing this company?  Is there NO COMMON SENSE?  I sure hope those new hires are ready to fight the rest of the team for the smattering of work we get.  I have never in my life worked for a company that makes so many poorly researched decisions when it comes to staffing, not to mention the BS invention of the Deathstar P ...

Oracle New-hires, Have You Started Yet?
Oct 05, 2010

I have received zero info about the new account the new hires are for. Anyone else?  Is lack of communication a problem? ...

Did Any Of The New Hires With Aero Start Yet? Nm
Feb 16, 2011

Recent Hires For Keystrokes
Jun 27, 2011

How long did it take from the date of signing your contract until you were assigned an account and were actually trained and then working?  Are you getting responses when you try to reach your contact person?  Did you have problems with the technical things getting installed?  This has been the most frustrating and slow process I have ever encountered.  ...

How Is It Going For New Hires At Cypress Medical? Nm
Aug 10, 2012

nm ...

Does MM Still Give Their Computers To New Hires
Mar 25, 2013

Just wondered if they still do that. I have one of their old computers but heard that now you have to provide one for yourself. ...

New Hires From Precyse - Wanna Tell How Is It Going?
Jul 16, 2013

I know they have been hiring lately.  Can you share your experience with them so far? ...

Inscribe- Recent New Hires
Jul 26, 2013

Has anyone recently been through Inscribe's "intake process"?  I sent paperwork in and have not been contacted yet by manager or trainer.  I read older posts that said it could take several weeks to hear a response or they may never call at all.  Some folks said they just gave up.  I am just wondering if anyone has been recently through this process that can shed some light.  Thanks.  ...

Does Anyone Know If MD-IT Hires IC Or Employee Status?
Jan 19, 2014

Does anyone know if MD-IT hires IC or employee status?  Any info on this company would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you :-) ...

Inscribe New Hires, Anyone Working?
Oct 15, 2014

I did read the negative comments here but decided to give Inscribe a try anyway.  I was hired Sunday 10/4 and told I'd be working Monday 10/5.  One of the reasons I accepted was that I thought I could get a paycheck/deposit this month...nope.  Last day of pay period is today.  Today is Wednesday 10/15 and I'm still not working.  Delay at every turn.  I've typed ONE report on FDE through SPOE (no idea what those stand for, the person overseeing me sa ...