A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is there any point working MT anymore? - mommacat

Posted: Jan 22, 2012

I am so frustrated making pennies on reports.  I worked 30+ hours and got $176.  Who can live on that?? I want to be home with my kids but I am wondering if this is worth it anymore.

Cat

I've finally given up just this week (sm) - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]

MT to coder here also - anne

[ In Reply To ..]
After over 20 years as CMT, and I was previously an RN, I have thrown in the towel. I have gone to job fairs and tried and have been told I can't get back into nursing, my experience is too long ago. I tried to stay positive about MT, I learned the editing, all of the shortcuts with editing, I flexed, worked extra whenever I could, kept my skills up, and I am pretty fast. Still, my pay has just been on a downward spiral (I was with WMX, bought out by Nuance, don't even ask what a horrible experience this has been). I started coding school the beginning of this month. I love it so far! I think I could really love this profession also, and I want to work in house at this point, hoping to get a hospital job. Good luck to all, we all have to make the best decisions for what works for US. If I still needed to be home with children at home, I might be making a different choice. The coding board here is pretty good!

Great news! What is the name of your coding school? (nm) - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]
x
coding school Andrews - anne
[ In Reply To ..]
There is a welcome board, and there are a LOT of MTs making the switch at Andrews!

Medical Coding - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
Coders don't make as much as they used to either.
Where did you get that information? - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
The last salary survey I saw indicated that salaries were continung to rise in spite of the state of the economy.

I have not seen ANY salaries drop

So on what are you basing your comment?
Where did you get the information - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
From a medical coder and also from a local technical school.
From a coder and a technical school -- who can argue with that? - A little more than a coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure you feel your sources are reliable, but I do not.

I can't say what happened to that medical coder, but I can say that a technical school is not a particularly good judge of a career field, especially not coding.

You need to look at something a little more authoritative than that. There are salary surveys on both the AHIMA and AAPC websites.

The one on the AAPC website, for 2011, which came out last fall, has an article describing what type of work coders do and another analyzing the salary results.

There has been no drop in coder salaries on a national basis. The sarlaries have actually gone UP, in spite of the economy.

Everyone should pay close attention to the types of jobs described there. Notice that there is more than one kind of job in coding.

When you all start harping on how coding is going to be taken over by software, we all just sit here astounded that you could be so lacking in knowledge of coding as a profession or so negative that you have to spoil everyone else's careers along with your own. We are also astounded that you can only see the most rudimentary, low level of work as being the only job available . . . forever.

Are MTs just dullards who learn to type and then consciously plan to spend the next 40 years pecking away on a keyboard? Without any other intellectual challenge or change? If you are, stay away from coding. You're not suited for it.

I was surprised that someone said coders would have to advance into other jobs, making that sound like a BAD thing! It isn't! Maybe for you, if you only want to do one thing, like Eeyore plopping his broken balloon in and out of the jar, but most of us do not think that would be professionally rewarding or even tolerable.

You all make the assumption that coding is just like MT. Nothing is further from the truth, but you can't see that.

I don't care if you go into coding or not. Quite honestly, if you don't, so much the better. Leave the jobs open for people who aren't nasty.
Plus that career is going the way of MT too - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
n
No it isn't. Stop posting that mistaken belief. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
The software is intended to save time and money. - There is truth in there, nm
[ In Reply To ..]
And you would know this how? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It sure is. I do not care if you believe it or not. You wasted your time and money....not mine!
Wrong again - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Not one penny I have ever spent on my career has been wasted. I know this because I am already IN one of those better jobs. I also work with the software you don't understand. I see all the opportunities arising from technology. They are nothing like ASR and MT.

I do not do clerical work. That seems to be all you can see. Your loss.
Hon, MT is FAR from clerical work. - Really...
[ In Reply To ..]
Have you ever transcribed a report?
I did not call MT clerical work - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It is the work she is describing that is clerical. It is neither coding nor MT.

And yes, I have transcribed lots of reports.

Former MT
OH, YES IT IS! - Looking
[ In Reply To ..]
You people are in denial.

I have talked with several IT people, and they ALL advised me against pursuing coding because it WILL be defunct in only a few years. Also, I just hung up with a professional placement counselor in CA (friend of a friend), and she just told me the same thing. I am NOT wasting time and money to be educated in something that isn't viable in the long run.
Appropriate info sources for HIM fields - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I think I see why everyone is so confused about this. You seem to be talking about something that is more billing data-entry than actual coding. That is what tech schools teach. That is what IT people would think is replaceable by software. That is the only level of the field that a career counselor would know about.

Something else you should consider is that you all seem to think a career is doing one thing and one thing only from the day you begin until the day you retire. That is how it is in MT. There is only one job. When you look for another position, it is doing exactly the same thing. One function repeated over and over. MTs seem to be highly intolerant of change. This might be because the job changes forced on you have not been what you wanted, but it is still a very striking feature of MT. MTs have been resistant to change since the 60s.

You can see that attitude in the comment from someone who said that coders would have to move into new jobs, as if that was something bad.

In other fields, people expect and want to advance. It is unheard of for someone to enter the field and WANT to stay in an entry-level job. Thy want to learn more and experience challenges and to have a chance to grow.

The "coding" you think will be replaced by sofware is an entry-level function. It is also a lowest-level function. It is not the job most of us would like to have to do--not in the past and not now. We looked for advancement opportunities and took them. We grew. I know more than 300 coders, not one of whom does that kind of entry-level, basic work. Some have advanced from it but most never did it at all. That is significant because it tells you that your perception of "coding" is not accurate.

The job you think you are talking about wen you say coding is not what we are talking about. You are talking about little more than clerical work. We are talking about a health information science field that involves classification systems clinical documentation, informatics, revenue operations, and a variety of other things.

That is not going to be replaced by software because it cannot be replaced. Coders already move and advance into higher level jobs. They get more education, both formal and informal, to do this. Their salaries increase. They do not see this as something bad. It is a positive thing for them.

Coders call themselves coders, yet may work in a number of different jobs. Those jobs are mostly in health information and informatics, registries, research, education, and administration.

It might be that the MTs here really do not tolerate change and truly do want to get into a low leve job that never changes and to stay there forever. The kind of job that you can learn halfway in tech school and never learn more. The kind of job that career counselors see as a kind of clerical equivalent. You seem to be calling this "stability." If that describes you, I can tell you that you are right about coding not being something you would enjoy. You WOULD find yourself having to learn too much and you would find yourself having to work with that software you fear.

I do not ask career counselors, IT people, and tech schools about my field because there are more appropritae sources of information. I am not in denial, either. I just know more than you do about my occupation than you do.

Something else . . . when coders talk about auditing they do not mean anything like what MTs do with VR transcripts. We are not talking about frustrating, lower paid work. We are talking about higher paid, interesting compliance work that pays very well.

If all of this post angers you, then by all means stay out of coding. We do not need people like that. If what pleases you most is making negative, unfounded claims to drive others away from a viable career, stay away. It does not fit with the ethical requirements of the job.
LOL - Looking
[ In Reply To ..]
That was one LENGTHY harangue!

Yes, I'm sure that a seasoned career professional who has been working in HR for 25+ years, Medical Records Directors and the hospital IT guys who service their departments have NO IDEA what they're talking about! But YOU -- an anonymous MT/coder on a message board -- of course, DO.
I would not call 68,000 a year a low-level job/salary - high horse
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
The coding school shill has arrived, - I see. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
What angers me is people who know NOTHING about transcription - telling us we work in Entry Level positions!
[ In Reply To ..]
Your pomposity is amazing! You know zilch about MT work - judging from your ignorant comments.
Sorry to say, but yes it is going away, albeit slower than MT - Two big hospitals...
[ In Reply To ..]
Two large hospitals in the DC area have turned to programs that do the coding; however, they do have coders outside of the hospital that check the work. It is new, and right now a trial program. Coding will be in the same place MT is in 10 years....GONE.

part 2: the final straw for me (sm) - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]

I don't see us doing any better in the next 5 years...sm - want to go to school

[ In Reply To ..]
I am 39 and have been MT'ing since my first son was born almost 12 years ago. I now have an almost 12 year old and a 5 year old. I homeschool them both and work at night after they go to bed PT.

I know where my career right now is heading, as we all well know, and I am worried that in a few years I won't have a decent job. Years ago this was a perfect fit for us...and there was a lot more money in it, and personally I love this job, I still type straight transcription right now, no VR.

I really want to go back to school to become an LPN to RN because I know I can be creative with my scheduling. Problem is, the program here for LPN is only a day program, for just 12 months. I need a creative way to still homeschool but go to school myself. We just recently moved away from all our family so I don't even have anyone I trust that the kids could stay with during the day while I school, then I could homeschool them in the evenings (to do their homework during the day with the caregiver). I am really against sending them back to public school for personal and religious reasons, but when looking at the local Christian schools in town for both kids to go to school would be another house payment per month which is not feasible. Would it be really stupid to send my kids to public school for just one year then pull them back out? I know it would be tough on them and that is my biggest concern (well mainly for the to-be 7th grader).

For my future and my children's futures I need to know I will still be able to make enough money to support us and becoming an RN eventually is my goal. Right now I just need to figure out a way to do one year's worth of schooling to become an LPN, then the rest will work itself out.

I think you need to - Bindi

[ In Reply To ..]
give yourself permission to explore the possibility of sending your kids to public school. This may be a very viable option for you. As you say, this will only be for 12 months and at that time you can reevaluate the situation. Look at it this way, you'll be doing something to secure your family's future and well-being, by achieving your LPN and once you get your RN you've got it made in the shade!What a wise career choice. At 39, you're still a youngster. I've got a little less than 4 years until I'm eligible for full Social Security and I'm just hoping to have a job until then. There's every probability that your kids are going to love public school. I wish you the best.

JUMP! The ship is sinking. - CareerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
The picture has never looked so bleak. There are no good signs on the horizon, either.

If you were the captain of this ship that was headed for the rocks, would you continue on your current course or tell the crew to turn the thing around?!

It's TIME TO JUMP, my friends, before you are so stuck that you are unable to!

I have found that being an MT has helped me go - out in other fields while still in this one

[ In Reply To ..]
I just signed on to do VA appeals hearings which are for service-connected disabilities (i.e. medical problems). I stay away from anything acute care [not something I enjoyed, personally] or clinics. I have my own clients that are medical but not your traditional doctor-patient relationship. This new gig could work out to some excellent money. I have taught myself legal transcription as well - who says you need to go to school for it, I have never attended school for either medical or legal transcription ;) (a little self humor). Eighth grade education here. I am obviously not the norm, but I got very lucky with my first job doing this and have kept going for the last 23 years, always doing this type of work.

With all of these VR programs and point-and-click coming along, I feel even stronger now than I did before about staying away from acute care, clinics or those types of work. MT isn't dead - you just have to look farther than those types listed above IMHO

Congrats on the success you've created for yourself, - and I hope it lasts a long time, but

[ In Reply To ..]
the engine driving all these changes is the changing technology that allows companies to get rid of most transcription, in fact most office support work. Most file clerks have been gone for some time, typists gone, stenographers gone, transcriptionists mostly going.

What transcription is left remains because of requirements for technical expertise in understanding the material--not typing. Some demand may well continue, but any new, better-paying jobs created will be away from just getting words on paper in favor of people with more technical expertise than we have needed in the past--people with some ability to analyze and use the information in the reports.

As it is now, the higher-level people our clerical positions supported are still left and doing fine, with even more jobs created and most of them making significantly more more money than before.

The fewer remaining clerical support positions that are left tend to pay less and less, and business is continuing to look for ways to eliminate them or at least reduce the number needed. We, of course, fall in this unhappy group.

For this reason, good as a horizontal move in the same work may be currently, I'd strongly recommend anyone with years of work ahead to train for a higher level of work.

So, you have - Looking

[ In Reply To ..]
To clarify, you have a contract with the VA to transcribe the recordings of their disability hearings which take place at your local VA hospital?

No, they're appeal hearings before a judge - - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
or commissioner. They are done in select areas in the country, not at the local VA hospitals. The original hearings are to establish service-connected disability for medical issues. My contract is for when the veteran appeals his denial.
Gotcha! Thanks sm - Looking
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the clarification.

So are you serving different locations or only servicing one that is close to you? Also, whom did you contract with to get this gig -- the federal judiciary? (I presume this would be a federal judge since the VA is a federal department.)

As far as I know software for coding is also going to eliminate this job in the future? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Exactly!! I already wasted money on MT - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
as a career, there is no way I am going to waste more time and money trying to be a coder. They may even be going by the wayside even sooner than MT.

Good decision - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That is a good decision for you. If you can draw that kind of conclusion without obtaining the facts first, you would not do well in coding.

That is incorrect--you have a mistaken view about - Coding

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have to preface a remark with "As far as I know," that is a clue that you do NOT know. It informs others, and should inform you, that you have no basis in fact for what you are saying and so should not say it.

What you said is completely incorrect. Software is not going to eliminate coding.

If you believe it is, you must be confusing coding with some kind of front office clerical chore. That function can and pretty much has been automated, but that is not coding and it is not what we do.

There are many different types of jobs in and around coding, or which have a knowledge of coding as their foundation. Coders are expected to move into these jobs, some of which are becoming possible BECAUSE of software. They pay more, too.

There are posts elsewhere on this board about this. You have either not read them or you enjoy stirring the pot. Please do not post pronouncements about career fields that you know nothing about. Many MTs here are looking to transition to other work. Some are considering coding as an entry point into another field. I cannot understand why some unhappy people insist upon making unfounded statements in order to quash their hopes and plans.

Excuse me! Apparetly coders will transition into other works as MTs are doing - now, sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Hopefully, the transition will not include all the paycuts (highly unlikely) and the jobs in and around coding will be not be as time consuming as ASR has turned out to be. The bottom line is these programs are intended to reduce the amount of money spent on MT and coder jobs. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what that means.
Wrong. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You apparently have no idea what coding is. You are making unfounded assumptions. They are wrong.

The good part about all of your posting is that everyone can now see it for what it is . . . uninformed half-truths.

I'm not telling anyone to pursue or not to pursue coding. - you are addressing 2 different, sm
[ In Reply To ..]
people here. I totally agree that coding will also see results just as MTs have. It may not be totally eliminated, but it will not be the job that it used to be. All it takes is a look on the internet about the coding softward designed to help clinic practices, hospitals, etc. to cut down on the costs for coding, which would include the coder needed for these tasks. As I stated, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what this means. EHR may not eliminate transcriptionists or coders, but it will affect your pay rate and the job duties previously performed by these 2 positions. Hence, ONE of the reasons it is advertised as being able to save money by using the software. No reason for you to get all upset about it. These are facts not just something being made up. Just look on the internet for it. It is out there.
By the way, I work on EHR now and spend half of my time - doing tasks that are not MT related, sm
[ In Reply To ..]
but get paid production for the lines that I type. I don't get paid for the time that is spent on looking up each patient and ensuring the informaton that is required for that health record is correct (duties that are required for me to work on this system right now), just for the lines. Thus, a decrease in the amount of lines typed per hour due to other duties (which should be secretarial duties not MT).

Sorry to burst your bubble - tech savvy MT

[ In Reply To ..]
With more and more push to structured data, and software that is already out there which parses terminology and codes, coders are going to be in the same boat as transcriptionists are. The really good ones who are well-rounded and able to handle anything thrown at them will have jobs. The rest will be looking for new careers. This isn't a chicken little scenario, it's simply common sense.

I sat in a meeting recently listening to discussions about coding and use of MTs and I can tell you that the shift has already begun. Doctors will be told - describe it like this or you won't be paid - and doctors want paid so they will acquiesce.

So sorry but coding is just not any safer than MT is, no matter what bill of goods you're being sold.
structured data - em
[ In Reply To ..]
This is exactly what I have been saying to people - don't delude yourself that MTs will be needed forever as VR editors. They won't and it doesn't matter if VR gets better or not. The move with the meaningful use requirements is for structured data and eliminating narrative reports (read: no typing, no VR).

Similar Messages:

What Is The Point Of Asking You What
Feb 04, 2010

specialty you really don't like if that is all they are going to give you? Now, before anyone flames away, I was hired by the Q several months ago as a tier 3.  I pull my weight, work my shift, and don't have too much to complain about except for NJA from time to time. When I was hired, they asked me specifically what specialties I like the most and what I like the least.  I was told that if there was a specialty that I really disliked or didn't have as much experience ...

What's The Point
Feb 21, 2010

of us looking at DocQManage to see what the backlog is?  Several times I have looked and still I don't get the work.  One day last week, almost 200 jobs on my primary account (not sure if it still is) and then an hour later, nothing! Of asking us to switch our hours?  I don't see how that is going to help if there is no work at many different times during the day. Of a CP saying we need to contact CTL to get a list of abbreviations allowed for a cetain account?  W ...

It Is To The Point Now What To Ask For Would Be
Nov 22, 2011

a list of companies that has NOT sold to MQ.  Anyone know of such a list? ...

At What Point Do You Use F11?
Dec 20, 2014

I haven't been gigged yet for it, but when ASR is totally off the wall and I fix a ton of mistakes, I save the report when I am done and use F11..ASR, has been ok? in the past. Recently it is off the wall wrong, what is going on? Why can't they train this thing, how many years has it been now, at least 15 right? If the client only knew ...

Is This Really 1 Point??
Jan 06, 2015

You put "the patient tolerated the procedure really well" and it was corrected to "the patient tolerated the procedure VERY well"... is this really 1 point taken off?! It dosen't change the meaning. Should I reverse? ...

I Don't Really See What The Point Of The
Jan 09, 2015

Fluency "upgrade" is.  They spent how much money paying the techs to work on it & then paying all of us to train so that the spellcheck can now be inconveniently located on the left rather than floating and it now takes twice as long to upload a report because we basically have to go through 2 upload cycles...?  Yet we still don't have the fuzzy physician search fixed or the question marks by the physician names in the ADT, or control-arrow moving to the end of the word instea ...

Can Someone Point Me In The Right Direction?
Jun 25, 2010

Where can I find the law that states the employer is supposed to compensate for things directly impacting the duties of the job for piecemeal workers.  I'm searching, but can't find it. thanks ...

Point Of Care?
Aug 25, 2010

A doc is giving lab values - before each one ASR has typed out "Point of care" - anyone know what this is about - would make sense if I just left those words out. Thanks ...

Well I Have Proven My Point
May 15, 2011

I worked 4.5 hours yesterday and did over 1400 lines!  Typed 95 reports.  If I apply myself I can make good money.  I just need to stop doing other things when I should be working....I should be doing between 1500 and 2000 lines a day the way I look at it.  Far above the 1200 a day minimum.  Hmmm, well guess I better get to work (LOL)....Lord help me!  ...

Where The Finger Should Point
Jul 20, 2011

So much ire and angst pointed at MTSOs.  I even read where the TAT is a marketing ploy :)   It helps to remember that we're all in the same boat and for the same reasons, to support ourselves. What so many of you don't seem to get is that the INSURANCE industry is dictating much of the TAT.  If reports aren't on a chart in xxx time then the facility/physician is dinged financially. If an MTSO doesn't meet TAT, they are dinged financially.  So they a ...

What's The Point Of The Repository When There's Never Anything In It...
May 30, 2012

x ...

Point And Click EMR
Sep 20, 2012

Does anybody know what point and click EMR is? I have no idea. I applied for a job and got a response back but said they pay by the audio minute, not by lines or characters, and also that it there is a lot of point and click EMR. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Bull Point
Sep 12, 2012

How do you insert a bull point?  Thanks! ...

What Is The Point Of Responding To Any Of These Ads?
Jan 25, 2013

With 30 years of experience over many platforms (16 of which are from home), what is the point of applying to any of these companies? They are few and far between.  They certainly do not want to pay anyone what they are worth (since they can just outsource on the cheap)... Most of the time you don't get a response from any of them anyway, not here and not on MTDaily either. ...

0.5 Point Taken Off For Blanks SM
Apr 11, 2013

I just looked at my review for March and I see all these 0.5 deductions for "blank filled in by reviewer."  There are also Valid Blanks that take off no points.   Sorry if this has been asked but did they say they were going to do this?  And if so, when?  Also, I listened to these blanks.  There is no way they can tell me 100% what was said in any of them, which is why I blanked them.  So they are guessing.  Two reports I have gone through so far are for real ...

At What Point Do You File
Jun 26, 2013

I wonder if I'm at that point.  I have not had a huge reduction in work, but about 8 hours a week now.  I've been taking some unpaid time and using PTO.  I think tomorrow I'm going to go to the UE office and talk to them about the TAA assistance. ...

Anyone Else Upgrade To 7.4? I Really Don't See The Point To It, Nothing Is Better
Mar 18, 2014

Why the upgrade?  ...

ASR Good Point
Jun 22, 2014

Many times, I've had absolutely no idea what the dictator said, yet ASR picked it up, and I felt so grateful and relieved that I had that to go by.  Upon seeing it in print, I could hear it and confirm that ASR got it correctly.   Otherwise, I would have likely had to leave blanks in those spots.  It does help at times.  ...

So What Is The Point Of All These Emails Anyway
Dec 10, 2014

Backlog is such and such, and I care about this why? I have a schedule to work, if there is no work, I sign off because there is no work. If the backlog is low, I can't say screw it and go back to bed, I work until there is no work. And the Smart Summary, I have no idea what the purpose of that is, anyone? Quality and blanks reports,hum, no idea there either. Talk about waste of money and justifying your existence, not to mention wasting my time. ...

What Is The Point Of Having So Many Managers??
Jan 20, 2015

What happened to the 1 "manager" that you could call, email and ask a simple question and get a simple answer??? ...

Imedx What's The Point Of It?
Apr 06, 2015

New email (Again). No communication today.  No work today.  What's the point of any of this?  Are you TRYING to drive us away?  Good grief!   ...

Mayfield 3-point Headrest?
Jun 30, 2010

or is it Mayfield three-point headrest? ...

Sphere Point Elevator
Jun 29, 2010

tooth exttraction sphere-point elevator ...

S/l Torsion Of The Point On EP Study
Oct 15, 2010

Sentence in EP study:  The patient showed a pattern of (torsion of the point).  The arrythmia was terminated and patient continued in a stable cardiovascular status. ...

WBC 15 Point 6000 - How To Write It Out
Feb 01, 2011

Normally I'd just write  WBC 15.6000 but tonight I am questioning myself.  Please help!!! ...

His Two-point Discrimination Is 6 Mm Both ??? And Aurally?
Apr 06, 2011

Sounds like periolly?? ...

QA/MT From A Peons Point Of View
May 11, 2011

PA MT and others -- I have recently started for a company, where I am transcribing as well as doing QA/Management.  Getting paid hourly for one and salary for the other.  At some point down the road, I will probably be hiriing MTs as well.  It is not easy, because I started out doing QA, then, having to transcribe on several accounts to make siure that when QA is done, it is done properly. Another thing to be considered when there is "lack of work" is the fact that there might be ...

How Do You Write Out Nine Point Five Thousand?
Sep 09, 2011

This is for a hemogram. Thanks! ...

What Is The Point In Doing A Q Care Ticket When
Jan 03, 2012

I file a ticket saying I have no work.  Duh, they know that I have no work.  I get a ticket number for what reason?  I get an e-mail saying that I opened a ticket and then I get an e-mail saying ticket resolved.  Resolved?  What is resolved?  I still have no work.  How much are they paying these people to resolve these tickets that never get resolved.  How does one go about getting a job resolving tickets?  Maybe this could be something we could do fo ...

This Article, Especially The Third Point, Really Pissed Me Off
May 15, 2012

This is only a snippet, but once you read it, you'll be just as ticked-off as I am:   According to Katie Bardaro, lead analyst at PayScale.com, three types of workers are best-suited to work from home:  IT professionals who rarely need to interact with others in person to do their work successfully. Employees who can do most of their work via email and phone, such as employment recruiters,statisticians or analysts.  Less-skilled, lower-paid workers, such ...