A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IC ethics question - LoV

Posted: Apr 20, 2010

I was recently asked by a recruiter to provide recent and most current management/supervisor references from the 'middle-man' MT service companies for which I have provided IC services.  I did not think this was an appropriate thing to do.  Am I wrong?

Why not, it's called "job history" - every application asks for one

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not really sure how that is inappropriate. How can they tell if you have any varifiable experience if you don't tell them who you have worked for.

IC ethics question - LoV

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your response. My dilemma is that as a self-employed IC, I - by definition - am my own boss, i.e., I work for myself!. I'd just assume give the outsourced hospital accounts'/clients' names for a reference - which obviously I wouldn't! Question remains: Is it common practice for the MTOS companies to serve as referrals?? Just doesn't seem 'kosher' to me to even ask that they would serve such a role [as a referral source...]?!? Otherwise, I have ample professional and personal references, along with past hospital employers' names/numbers, etc.

Personally - me

[ In Reply To ..]
If it were an MTSO, being a company, and not the direct hospital/doctor, I would not think that would be an ethics question. That would be giving away no protected information, the MTSO is a business and should be treated as such, not necessarily a client per se. I once saw on a website for an MT (she was her own IC) had a link that listed the doctors she had worked for. Presumibly these doctors had given her permission to use them as references. If you feel uncomfortable, contact the MTSOs and ask if it would be okay to use them as a work history contact.

I would think they would be used to it, seeing as how an employee would list them as a past employer.
IC ethics question - LoV
[ In Reply To ..]
Exactly my point: 'They' are Not a 'past employer' - 'They' are merely the 'middle men' to my True clients [i.e., that being the hospital accounts], 'I' being my Own self-employer, and 'They' being the ones who skim half of my otherwise-due pay rate! :o I do, however, very much appreciate your input. Definitely things to consider in the future... ;)
employer vs middle man - EAL
[ In Reply To ..]
Just my 2 cents - technically the MTSO is your employer as they are the ones who pay you - most MTSO contracts I have come across have a clause that prohibits the transcriptionist from direct contact with the actual client or approaching them in terms of offering them your services within a certain timeframe after you have left the MTSO.

I do agree with you about not wanting to provide references from all of them. The recruiter may want to verify your employment with the MTSO's which is one point, but unless you want to provide references from them I believe that is ultimately your decision and you can provide professional references as you see fit.

Now, I am in Canada, don't know if things are different in US in terms of such laws, etc.

Employers names would be okay - Hospitals are not - jm0405

[ In Reply To ..]
They simply want to know you actually worked in the field. No mention of any employers might make you look like a new graduate lying about job experience. Not saying you are - They only go off what is printed on the paper you submit. Appearance is everything.

Hospitals are not to be discussed. That might borderline break your disclosure/noncompete clause. It would be like revealing "ex-employer" company secrets or something.

Hospitals are bad - employers are good.

Job references - Ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think this sounds okay even if you are your own boss. It is like a testimonial of your services. I am sure that you've seen ads for companies that provide services with a list of testimonials that prospective clients can contact.

Wrong? - Ima MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Wrong is likely the wrong word :)

It's quite common (and IMO good business) to check the references of a contractor.

So they are not only very right to be asking, but I'd worry if they didn't.

Confused - Ima MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think I missed something. Are they asking for services you have worked for, or are they asking you for clients you worked with through a service or are they asking you for clients you had when you were an IC? :)

Of the 3, the only one I would NOT supply is the one where you would give clients you worked for through another service.

Many business contracts call for the "performing" party - to provide extensive information.

[ In Reply To ..]
For instance, it would be very common for the hospital contracting with the transcription service to require the service to provide a list of other clients (analogous to companies you worked for) AND THEIR CONTACT INFORMATION (analogous to asking for your supervisor's information).

There's nothing odd or inappropriate about this request whatsoever. In fact, it's much more odd when it's not requested.

Similar Messages:

Ethics Question
Jan 14, 2012

Is it illegal, or unethical, for a provider to talk about the patient's health insurance coverage, whether or not they're able to pay, in their medical report?  ...

Is This A Breech Of Ethics?
Jan 28, 2013

I want to apply to work at the hospital I transcribe for via MM. Can I tell them I work on their account and have for years? Is this some kind of breech of ethics? Can I tell them I work on this specialty in our town and not specifically say the name of the hospital? Does anybody know. Anybody else done this? I would not be applying for an MT job, just a general clerical or PSR, anything to get my foot in the door. I just love this hospital, familiar with the docs, want to work there, but ...

What Constitues An Ethics Violation?
Apr 21, 2010

Hello, One of my friends here at MQ was just put back on 100% QA after one bad audit.  Now, due to First Time Right, she will be making 3 cpl less for ALL HER LINES since it all is going to QA - except for that 10% allowance that she has. This is just SO not right!!!  How is anyone supposed to live on a pay cut like that?  For 8-9 cpl, it's a 30% pay cut! Is this reportable to anyone?  (If anyone would care...)  What can we do about this - besides quit? ...

Question About Ethics Regarding Billing, Etc.
Jan 18, 2011

I have just recently started working at a doctor's office.  I do the transcription.  Sometimes when I have a report on a patient who has BCBS insurance, the billing person will come in and tell me to go back into the report from a few days back and take out one of the two x-rays dictated and to do a seperate x-ray report with a different date.  To me, it doesnt sound right.  It raises a big red flag.  I do not work in billing and I am new to the office environment, ...

MModal Work Ethics
Aug 27, 2013

If certain people feel strong enough, maybe CNN's Morgan Spurlock would be a good person to contact.  I've been watching his program on Sunday evenings, and the last one had to do with unions.  I'm not for unionizing (bad experience a long time ago), but many things brought up during the piece were relevant to our experiences working with MModal.  Check him out and see. ...

Nuance Wants A Positive? Here's One. Even One Person With Ethics
Jan 05, 2015

Unfortunately, the ones with ethics are not speaking out, not challenging the decisionmakers. Maybe they're all gone by now? Or cowering in fear of their own jobs. Yeah, now THAT is a positive corporate culture.     ...

Ethics Question About A Life-threatening Issue Posed By Teacher
May 26, 2011

Hello everyone! I'm an MT student who doing a bit of research for one of my classes, and I wanted to ask some real MT's about this one. My teacher posed to us this question: "What if you were privy to information in the same setting of transcribing 2 different clinics who apparently have a shared client, and you found out something about the patient that you perceived as seriously potentially life threatening?  What if there was a medication prescribed in one contex ...