A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How to raise rates - Melody

Posted: Dec 13, 2014

I have recently acquired an account.  I did not know what to charge and was unable to find out what the going rates were (no one wants to tell).  About 10 years ago, I was paid 12 cents per gross line but then went into being an employee until now.  Anyway, I ended up giving a price of 15 cents per 65-character line.  I went with character line because they have a funky format with very narrow margins and a small font.  I do not know still how it compares with what others in my area are charging, but they seemed eager to jump on my price.  There are 4 doctors.  Two of them, I do pretty well on the hourly average, even though I earn less than I did 10 years ago as an IC (i'm still ok with it as times have changed), but the other two my hourly average is quite abysmal.  It is not that the dictation is hard to understand, but other reasons that I don't want to go into in public.  I feel I want to not go back on my word for what I have already agreed to.  However, they have mentioned possibly increasing the workload (i think they want to replace someone).  I don't really want more at this price but would consider it if the new work is not problematic like some of the ones they give me already.  Also, even for the good ones, I am sure I am charging too little.  I would like to raise the rates, perhaps in a year.  How do you go about this as an IC?  What is the proper way?  Just include a note on their bill that the rates are going up?  I deal with them by email for the most part.  I have been so long out of this that I don't know.  When I did this as an IC years ago, I made so much money I would have never felt the need to raise my rates.  Do you think another penny per year would be fair?  I want to have  a plan in place in case I do get any other prospects.  I could tell them right up front, this is what I charge, and it goes up a cent or half a cent a year, etc.  Also, I need to find a way to not have to give a quote until I know what I am getting into, but it is difficult as that is the first thing they want to know before they go any further with you.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Without knowing...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
why you don't make as much with 2 of the docs, I'm not sure what to tell you. Can you just give us some idea? Are they sending work back for mistakes (on their part) for a redo? Are they extra picky as far as punctuation, etc. and sending work back to be changed/corrected? I do think you are charging a very good rate for a 65-character line; is that with spaces? If the latter 2 reasons are the case, you should then be charging extra for redos, perhaps 7.5/65 characters as an example. Are they requiring you to look up addresses for CCs and letters? If so, you need to have a separate hourly charge for this; say $5 per 15 minutes of your time to do what is in essence secretarial work. I hope you have a contract so all these charges are delineated. The option of raising the rate yearly could also be in a contract. Again, without knowing the reason for your not making a good hour rate with 2 of the docs, it's hard to help out with ideas.

Really cannot say more except - Melody

[ In Reply To ..]
that it is due to things completely out of my control. It has nothing to do with my quality of work, but rather doctors who do not want to cooperate. As for looking up addresses, I do that on my time. I only have to look it up once and save it in my abbreviation software so it pays off in the end since I get all those lines with just a few keystrokes. Thanks for your reply.

You're asking this question on a site where - most of us make 3.5 cents per line.....

[ In Reply To ..]
.... and most would consider it an improvement if they made 1/3 as much as you do per line.

You could make more per line if. sm - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
you got your own account(s) and did not work for an MTSO. This lady has a right to ask her question of other ICs to get some ideas. I have an IC client and make 14 cents a line, and I'm sure there are others who come here who are ICs who might be willing to help. You, not so much, your answer was just condescending.

Thanks for your reply. So, it seems - sm - Melody

[ In Reply To ..]
that my rate is not so far out of line then, comparable to yours. I will just chalk it up to the changing times I suppose.

You seem unhappy, and I would be - sm - Melody

[ In Reply To ..]
too if I made 3.5 cents a line, but why get annoyed at others because of your bad decisions? I worked for a hospital for years and was just laid off. The service that the hospital contracted with offered me a job for 3.5 cents a line with a productivity requirement of 400 lph. I said, thanks, but no thanks. That is why I decided to go out on my own again. You could too as someone already pointed out to you. I will get a job at Subway before I work for that kind of money in this profession.

try 0.65 cents a line - no joke

[ In Reply To ..]
I would be oh so happy to earn 3.5 cents per line....

Similar Messages:

How Much Raise?
Mar 15, 2010

Since I haven't gotten a letter yet, I presume I don't qualify.  I'm just curious, though, how big  a raise am I missing out on? ...

When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Raise?
Nov 27, 2010

I am a newbie who has had a job for 3 months now. I really like the company I am working for, and I love the account I am on. Problem is, there is not very much work, the work I do get is not consistent, and I am not getting paid very much either. I have requested more work in the past and was told I would get some then didn't, then given another account for a few days and haven't had it since. I think I was just getting overflow that day. I am grateful that I have  ...

Regarding Asking For A Raise...
Jan 02, 2012

So I've been working for a fantastic transciption company for over a year now.  My turnaround times are always excellent (they acknowledge this to us in weekly emails), and I haven't had any complaints about my work.  I'm a certified MT with four years experience, and I'm thinking about asking for a raise.  They hired me at $0.08 per line.  What should I ask for?  And is it okay to ask after 15 months?  I know all they can say is no, but I'v ...

We Can't Get A Raise
Mar 24, 2012

We WELCOME another new SUIT! This is the Senior Vice President of Something, reporting to the Senior Senior Vice President of Something, not to be confused with the Ultra Senior Vice President or the Super Duper Vice President reporting to the Diamond or Platinum Senior Vice President. CUT THE CORPORATE BLOAT AND PAY US MORE!!! ...

How Do You Go About Asking For A Pay Raise
Jun 27, 2012

How do you go about asking for a raise and who do you ask?  thanks ...

How Much Raise To Ask For?
Dec 02, 2012

After being with my company for a year, I would like to ask for a raise (haha). How much would you ask for and hopefully receive? 1/4 cent? 1/2 cent? A full cent? I think I do excellent work. I monitor the accounts even on the weekends and jump on when it's getting close to being out of turnaround, unasked. My supervisor does not have to worry about these accounts as I have proven time and again that I am "on it". Taking some stress away from her deems to be a legitimate reason ...

Some Of Us Are Getting A Raise With Changes
Dec 12, 2012

I work on a platform that pays only 8/4 and it's acute care.  I also work night shift.  I'll now get acute care pay and shift differential so I'm happy with the changes.  Not everyone is unhappy here! ...

I Got A Raise
Feb 03, 2013

from my new job.  I quit medquist/mmodal a year ago ...

Anyone Ever Get A Raise?
Jun 16, 2014

The last time I had an increase in pay was over 8 years ago.  I am an IC.  I have asked several times and was told no.  I haven't asked again in years.  It's frustrating and depressing.  Am I alone? ...

To The 35% Who Think They're Getting A 13% Raise.
Dec 18, 2014

Could it be that the "13% increase" equals the amount of the quarterly bonus you were receiving? That's what mine equals out to be. I'm in that 35% and I am not getting a raise when I figure in the weekly and quarterly bonuses I previously received. I am sure some are getting an increase, but I would bet it's more likely to be 5% or less. For the definition of "grubered," please search the political board, where it says something about grubered meaning a "useful idiot"... ...

FFT 7.6 Needs To Come With A Raise.
Jan 19, 2015

Dear MModal, These cumbersome features are going to slow us down. There's no way around it.  Age and gender checks for example.  So when the dictator mentions the patient's wife and says "she," I'm going to get an alert for each of those because the patient is a male. The extra keystrokes, shift+alt, multiple times for multiple jobs.  It all slows us down, and then you will complain about the backlog, and we are complaining about our dwindling paychecks.  Talk ...

Anyone Have Any Advice On How To Get A Raise
Jan 28, 2010

from MQ.  I haven't had a raise in 5 years, am a tier 3 and only make 0.775/line.  I get the worst of the worst and would like a raise.  I asked for one a few years ago but was denied because of too many QA marker submissions - and I don't think my submission rate has improved at all because of the garbage I get.  Any suggestions besides finding another job?  Thanks for any help. ...

WooHoo, A Raise,
Mar 15, 2010

Now I can buy new and improved ramen noodles.  Guess I should have given up sarcasm for lent. ...

Raise Your Hand If....
Mar 15, 2010

.... you were not trained thru an MT school but had equivalent medical studies schooling/background/hospital work... and managed to market yourself or simply applied to jobs and found yourself a start as an MT (in otherwords, without going thru any special "MT course" or certification since you had already gone thru university level courses in which you learned the same required medical subjects).If this is you, please tell me your story. ...

Merit Raise
Apr 06, 2010

What does that message from CEO on MQ Central mean?  Is he taking back the gazillionth of a cent per line he told us we were getting 2 weeks ago? ...

Some People Just Got A Raise!
Dec 30, 2010

If you live in Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont and Washington, minimum wage is going up so you will get a raise!!!  Hey if we didn't laugh . . . . well it is better to laugh, that's all I got to say.  MedQuist US MT's are still the top of the line! ...

Have Not Had A Raise In 5 Years.
Jul 25, 2011

I am tier III and I still am not at top pay. Today I asked my CCM for a raise and she said she will put in the paperwork. Why do I feel I still will be denied even though I have met all the requirements. More than likely I will be denied because they do not want any MT to make above minimum wage. Also I really feel bad for the MTs who had their pay cut. That is just not right. I notice when I ask why the pay cut the answer is always to level the playing field and to make it fair to the other MT ...

No Raise In 11 Years
Oct 06, 2011

I am an independent contractor with 30 plus years experience, and have worked for the same hospital for 11 years, still at the same rate as when I started.  At the time it was a good rate, now not so much--outside typing service does the overflow easy stuff , we IC's are left with the ESL's, static and more difficult reports.  Know things have changed dramatically in just 11 years.  Also know the onsite transcriptionists (employees)  get a 4% raise most years.  ...

ANYBODY GET THAT BIG HOURLY RAISE
Oct 27, 2011

Hey yall get that big hourly raise... ...

TWIMC I Need A Raise
Apr 29, 2012

To my future employer: Now that I've answered your questions, please answer mine: 1.  Who decided on 8 CPL and 4 CPL?  The company must have discovered by now that I am not 50% more productive, and the job I applied for in 1998 offered 8 CPL. 2.  If my rent goes up, my insurance premiums go up, my water bill goes up, why isn't my pay going up?   ...

Raise Inquiry
Jan 10, 2013

So I'm farily new-ish to MM and MT in general. MM hired me as a complete newbie about 9 months ago, and I accepted the rates they gave me (0.04 VR and 0.05 TR) because I was desparate for a job. Based soley on my memory, the person who offered me the job stated that there would be a consideration for a raise after 90 days. Okay, fine, whatever, I just want a job. Well, 9 months later I am still making the same rate. I haven't brought up the issue because I like to fly under the radar. ...

You Call This A Raise??
Feb 21, 2013

I am so discouraged!!  My morale has never been lower.  I have been with this company for over 3 years and I started off with an embarrassingly low rate, then after a few months, I was given a raise that was equally embarrassing but I was made to feel ungrateful when I said something about it.  I have endured living off of $0.07 cpl for almost 3 years now.  The only reason I haven't gotten out is because my personal life has been insane through a tough divorce and a ...

Do We Ever Get A Raise In This Business?
Jul 08, 2013

Two years at the company and they ignore my emails regarding raises. ...

No Chance Of A Raise
Oct 27, 2013

As an MT, there's no chance of getting a raise or promotion, and so there's little incentive or motivation, especially being paid pennies per line. Yet, they expect you to participate in continuing education, which takes additional time and perhaps even money. What a joke. They don't expect crew members at McDonald's to take extra time off work hours, and they get paid the same amount. No point in complaining, I know, but it's so ridiculous. ...

How Can We Raise Awareness?
Aug 13, 2014

I'm pretty sure the average American does not know that their supposedly private health information is being sent over to India. How can this not be a HIPAA violation? I don't think most doctors realize either that their dictation is being done over there. I've been trying to think of ways to increase this awareness and create a BACKLASH!!! I'm sure this has been discussed before. I'm sure we have contacted our politicians. Just an idea.... what if we all banded toget ...

At Least Getting A Small Raise, Might Not Be At
Oct 22, 2014

Noticed that SS receipients are going to be getting a 1.7% increase this coming year. They are saying that will average out to about $20.00 per person extra. I might be getting a little more being as they are saying the average per month is $1,190.00 and mine is more than that monthly. Well, may never see another raise in this job but at least somewhere they are thinking about the cost of living raise. ...

Not Everyone Gets Kiki's 3.50 A Month Raise
Mar 15, 2010

.... the implementation of line rate increases for employees who have demonstrated high performance by earning incentives under the Monthly Incentive Program during the months of January and February 2010. ...

Spending My Raise This Morning
Apr 06, 2010

Walgreen's had hair color on sale for $1.99.  My raise will just about cover the cost of covering up the gray MQ has given me!!!!  ...

Softscript--don't Expect A Raise....EVER!!!
May 03, 2011

Over the 6 years I've been with them, have only gotten a half-penny/line raise once!  That was after the first year...never again since and my accuracy has been above the required 98%, usually 100%....GREEDY COMPANY! ...

Who Would Type 10 Or 12 Hours A Day To RAISE
Aug 12, 2011

For that paltry 2 week's a year and no sick leave????  I think the ones typing off the clock are either trying to make a decent check or at least get their minimum lines and not get fired.  ...