A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Going down the tubes - PT

Posted: Jul 25, 2010

Let's face it, this is not the business to be in anymore.

I agree, getting out - leaving

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing this for 20 years and when I had a supervisor/trainer hesitate and then call $12 an hour a good living, I almost died on the spot. I use to make $30 an hour, every day. Point in fact, I just VR-edited 96 minutes of dictation and I made $22 for the trouble. Some dictators are just not cut out for VR but because VR generates more money for the company, they don't care if it wastes the transcriptionist's time. I am registered for school this fall and I'm moving on. This industry will far worse in five years.

I agree...sm - Sassy Pants

[ In Reply To ..]
I've only been an MT for 2 years and doing VR since March and I hate this industry. I'm only sticking with it b/c a crappy income is better than none.

I'm currently FT, er OT, working 40+ hours and 6 days a week and I'm still making crap money. I only wanna stay with my company (hopefully PT when I get another job) b/c of the insurance which I desperately need and is not bad rates considering...

My aunt got a bunch of pamphlets and booklets about a 6-week online course to become an MT. I had to hold back the laughter. I "seriously" looked over what she had and almost died when I saw that they "guarantee a job upon graduation" AND "make $15 an hour minimum."

I finally had to tell her if she would be happy with only working PT (which is what she wants as she is retired) and does not mind working weekends, holidays, having NO Life, being chained to a desk all day, then go ahead. But I told her honestly if I knew 3 years ago after graduating what I know now, I would never have become an MT.

I told her I'm getting out, but good luck to her if she wants to do it. If she can make it work for her, awesome. But I told her I have not made anywhere near that amount ("make $40,000 a year doing MT"....DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH). I have not made that adding up all my paychecks to date :-(

you said a mouthful n/m - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Amen to that! - SickNTired

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with you.

The time for leaving is now. RUN!

Similar Messages:

Ear Tubes - Dictator States What S/l "tiny Tot" Tubes
Apr 20, 2012

Patient is in to have ear tubes placed. Dictator states what s/l "tiny tot" tubes. ...

Metrics Tubes?
Nov 05, 2009

Can't find reference to "s/l metrics tubes" used in microdiskectomy and bilateral decompression.  ...

Chest Tubes
Dec 10, 2009

The right thoracic cavity   ???  a separate chest tube.  (was made, sustained -- any ideas for wording that might work? ...

Drain Tubes?
Dec 03, 2010

I'm typing an operative report...the doctor recorder is playing VERY fast and I'm trying to decipher what she's saying. 'Two mediastinal drain tubes were brought in from the subxiphoid region, the tip of the left side directly under the thoracic cavity' ...

S/l Sick Tubes
Mar 18, 2013

Doctor doing a tubal reversal and says s/l clearly these are some "sick tubes" with periadnexal adhesions. ...

The MT Profession Has Really Gone Down The Tubes
Oct 30, 2013

The MT profession has really gone down the tubes.  I have no desire to do this anymore and that's why I've been training for other things.  These Quality Control people have nit picked to the point I just cannot stand it anymore (forgetting "the" or taking out "the") and the other extremely petty crap that they ding for (and it has no bearing on patient care whatsoever).  Who wants to work like this anymore (and for the rotten pay on top of that to boot)?  It never used to be like ...

Armstrong Braman Ear Tubes
Nov 19, 2010

Armstrong Braman ear tubes.  Cant get the second word there.  Brommer ear tubes. ...

Two Drain Tubes Put Into Thoracic Cavity After Removal Of Teratoma
Mar 01, 2011

I have a foreign doctor who descibes two chest tubes put in, one with the tip showing under the left, the right thoracic cavity (s/l) sustaining its own. Anyone have an idea? ...

In Medical History: S/l "tet" Tubes As A Child.
Apr 24, 2013

maybe pet tube? ...