A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Before accepting a job... - Morgan

Posted: Aug 08, 2012

A good question to ask is how long the dictations are and if you can sample the dictations for sound quality. I'm stuck on an account that must have the cheapest mics, or let all their docs use cell phones. Only about 10% of the dictations are decent sound quality by someone who knows how to dictate. Only a fraction of the dictations are more than 30 seconds long and there are a ton of things we are required to do for free (i.e. not producing lines) that take more than 50% of the time to do. We are required to research prior reports for every misspeak which requires extensive searches for and end payment of .08 cents for all our time. Hourly rate on this particular account works out to about $4.00 per hour on a good day. Another account (which is always out of work) has longer dictations without the requirement to do all their bookeeping and research for them, so you clear about $10 or more per hour. Until or unless these MTSOs learn to sample dictations before quoting rates, we will be the ones the ones to have to volunteer the free labor.

which is exactly what they want... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

For one thing, there is more than likely no way an MTSO - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
is going to know how long the dictations are as most differ greatly.

Not always true - experienced the same thing

[ In Reply To ..]
MTSOs and/or the managers on the accounts who do the hiring are (or at least should be) familiar with the accouts and clients they serve. If a client has a tendency to use a lot of templates and they go through the day dictating only 20- or 30-seconds reports that state the patients name and then to pull in their template, the MTSO most likely knows this. They see all of the information about the reports, how long they are, who dictated them, what work types they are and, most importantly, when they are due. They would realize very shortly that most of their dictations were very short. I tried a job that paid by the minute and that was the case. All the dictations were less than a minute and you were required to add all the demographics, change the work type, etc., for every report and you didn't end up making even minimum wage in the end. I didn't stay because I just didn't see it as a profitable situation for me.

Where I work now, my manager is fully aware that our audio quality is absolutely horrible but refuses to do anything about it.

Similar Messages:

Before Accepting That Position...
Jul 10, 2012

I work for a service on two different account. On one, if everything is working right, I make $4.00 per hour. Much more than half my time is spent doing things they require that we get paid nothing for. We do NOT get paid for our keystrokes, or I would be making more than double my hourly rate. I spend several minutes filling out everything I have to document, then only a few seconds transcribing, then back to documenting the next job that is only a few seconds long. The other account with ...

Creative Comments When Accepting
Mar 25, 2015

Like, I wonder if instead of just my initials and that I reviewed my error, I should try something like: "Yes I made a mistake, no I DON'T think my pay should go down by $100, how would you like it?" "How would you like it if you had to be perfect OR you got your pay docked?" "Yes, I willlfully accept my error, but I do NOT accept your wage theft." Of course, I am accepting their wage theft in reality by signing that and staying employed by the devil. Sigh. I doubt anyone cares what yo ...

Inscribe NOT Accepting Apps From CA Residents?
Aug 29, 2012

I went to apply with Inscribe and they have this posted: At present, InScribe is unable to accept applications from any resident of the State of California. I live in CA...I knew we were an odd bunch but I didn't know we were unemployable. If anyone knows can you please tell me WHY I can't work for them? Thank you! ...