A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New England Medical Transcription (NEMT) - Curious

Posted: Mar 27, 2011

Does anyone know anything about working as and MT for NEMT (New England Medical Transcription).  Just looking for general info, like if they're good to work for, plenty of work.  Also curious if they use VR.  Thanks!

NEMT - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked there for a while on the ChartNet platform. The account had over 30 worktypes. It was very difficult and I was unable to earn more than $6.00 per hour. QA was very picky. They were generally very nice people; however, the account manager seemed to forget that we were ICs. Despite the talk about a flexible schedule or your freedom to make changes to it, that's not exactly the way it worked out for me. I was hired for a set schedule and expected to stick with that exact schedule.

Good luck.

Almost identical situation here - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
Plus my "mentor" apparently didn't own a clock nor did she know the meaning of "schedule" except for how it applied to her. Drove me crazy at all hours if I forgot to turn off my IM, considered it a real accomplishment if she could put 5 jobs a day aside for me during my training period, and would constantly seem to "forget" I was an IC and treat me as an employee.

Between the airheaded mentor, the lack of work (hired about 6 MTs for a "huge" account that produced about 3500 lines per day), I saw the writing on the wall quickly and parted ways with them.

Some of the higher-ups were nice, though.

NEMT - use of ICs - old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Another company skimping on payroll taxes and benefits by misclassifying employees as ICs. There days are numbered. Hear the hoofbeats of the IRS. . .

I also worked for NEMT - for a while

[ In Reply To ..]
They are working on VR... I do not believe it is up and running yet.

The pay is low, you are expected to work 1 weekend day and give a schedule. I was paid 7 cpl for clinic work as an IC.

In the time that I worked there, the 3 acccounts that I had were lost, one at a time.

In the end, I was on a clinic acccount which sounds easy, but it was not easy at all to make money and my checks were around 100 a week working 15 hours, so just over 6.00 an hour, and remember 35% of that had to come out for taxes, so I actually earned about 65 a week.

I loved everyone I worked with though! They were very friendly.

NEMT - Gem

[ In Reply To ..]
Ditto to all above.. low line pay with over 10 years acute care experience. Definitely cannot make more than 12.00 an hour and need to have a set schedule.. IC is just a way out of benefits.. You all got it right there!

On call 24/7 is more like it with the mentor I had - Even though they knew I had a FT job

[ In Reply To ..]
If I forgot to turn off my IM, she'd be pinging away sending me messages on my other computer. If I tried to ignore her since I was CLEARLY off "shift" (ahem), she had no problem whatsoever with blowing up my cell phone and land line to try to get ahold of me. And we're talking AFTER 10 p.m. at night. I don't know what anyone else's mentors were like but mine was...well, I'm going to polite here and just say "eccentric," but you get the idea.

Thanks-Still Want to Hear More - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the responses. Still open to more thoughts.

NEMT - Becky

[ In Reply To ..]
Having a wonderful experience with them!

NEMT - making any $$? - MT@home

[ In Reply To ..]
Granted, they are nice people. But are you making more than $12/hour? And are they abusing you by calling you an IC when you're really an employee? If so, then they're breaking the law and stealing your payroll taxes and benefits.
Making any money, answer... - Becky
[ In Reply To ..]
I am definitely making more than 12.00 an hour. Even though I did commit to one weekend day (and no, it doesn't have to be 8 hours), my plan was to work some weekends anyway. They do ask you to submit a schedule, but I can tell you that I vary from it quite a bit, and they say nothing. No mentor or AM has ever call and/or badgered me over a "schedule."
yeah sure - not the case at all
[ In Reply To ..]
If I so much as deviated a little bit, I got the e-mail informing me of it.

Additionally, there is no way you are making more than 12 an hour! I guarantee it is probably not even 10 an hour! I guess there is no way to prove it, but all I have to say is "whatever."
I agree with Becky - Also NEMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I make good money at NEMT. The trick is speeding up the sound and proofing high speed as well. Short reports you can send with just glancing over since they are short. They have high standards, but I like that. Great to work for, and I never get badgering emails at all.
I was told straight from another IC at NEMT - MT 44
[ In Reply To ..]
After I had "slaved" a few months, maybe more, I had one of the NEMT MT's/mentor on the phone one day and in the course of conversation asked her outright about the pay. I mentioned I couldn't seem to get over $10-12 an hour and explained is it me or what? I explained I'd be satisfied with around $15-20 an hour and would be willing to stay at it if I had that to look forward to. She said in so many words "no way..not gonna happen, no one there makes that much." Well, that pretty much did it for me...not much motivation after that. I can relate with all the above comments above. Nice people, lots of work, but only $10-$12 an hour. And $10 an hour isn't bad for some jobs, I mean there are worse jobs. But I just got tired of working that hard for that amount of pay and I did give it an entire year. And yes, I got one of those calls at 6:30 a.m. one morning because I was late starting my "shift". That never happened with any other service I have worked for and I didn't appreciate it, especially as hard as I had been working for them. And by the way, I was making just under 9 cents/line and still couldn't get over the $10-12/hour hump.
Totally believe you (see message) - Goofball mentor
[ In Reply To ..]
She'd call me at ALL hours of the night even though I had told her repeatedly I was not available between 4 p.m. until after midnight as I had a regular FT job. One particular occasion, she couldn't even scrape up 5 reports for me to train on. I did the 3 she found for me throughout the day, then she started calling me and IMing me after 10 p.m. to let me know she had found another 2 jobs if I wanted to train on them. *eye roll* You know, I loved the account and everyone BUT this "mentor" was very professional and I liked them very much...SHE was the reason I left, but I could tell the tiny account they had hired 6 of us for was going to be grossly overstaffed once we were all trained.
That's the frustrating thing about it....(see messag) - MT 44
[ In Reply To ..]
good dictators, never out of work, and you'd think the hourly pay would have been over the top. But I don't know, the line count just didn't work out the way it should. I'm suspicious that they can maneuver the line count somehow. I hated leaving too. I now work for a company that doesn't nag me at all. The dictation is more difficult but I'd rather have my freedom than punch a clock.
WOW!!!!! - Becky
[ In Reply To ..]
Someone on here just basically said I was a liar...that because they could not make more than 12.00 an hour that I surely can't. You don't know me. I MOST DEFINITELY do make more than 12.00 per hour at NEMT. Consistently. Maybe you just aren't good at this.
payroll - fastback
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you by change get a line count from the generated line count off the server. We received nothing by number of lines, which certainly seemed to be whatever fitted into her wants and needs at the time. Only an attorney can get the real count from the hospital.
She might be gone...There was quite a controversy - Over emails etc I had from her
[ In Reply To ..]
The manager was quite interested by that "mentor" behavior. I'm hoping they've at least removed her from her being a "mentor". IMO,I sometimes wondered if she were..."incapacitated" in some way after hours which would certainly explain her squirrely behavior.
payroll - fastback
[ In Reply To ..]
Be glad you are being paid. My pay check in September was for the week of March 1-7. Enough is enough. Plenty of work though, all I wanted. This is the one in Connecticut not Maine. Both were in together and then separated. They all think alike though

I don't get it - NEMT MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, so I make 0.085 per line, and average 200 lph, all straight typing, no VR, so that is $17.00 per hour. In order to make $10.00 an hour I'd have to type less than 125 lph. I can't imagine what could possibly make anyone type that slow. If I was making $10.00 per hour I'd leave too.

Oh and on the big hospital account they now pay an extra 0.01 for a handful of difficult dictators. And honestly they are mostly great dictators. The sound quality is mostly good. The docs actually use the system correctly. Lots of long winded residents to rack up lines with.

Now, as far as this whole "shift" thing goes, you have to commit to a certain number of lines in a certain time period. That is common as an IC. I've worked for companies where I've had to have so many lines within a 12 hour period or 24 hour period. Now, NEMT uses 8 hours, which does make it seem like an employee and if I were management I'd go with 12 just so it was more obviously an IC arrangement.

BUT, the upside of that is that the account is rarely out of TAT. Which to me is just job security, because if the hospital isn't happy and takes the account elsewhere, I'm out of a job.

And yes the QA is picky and sometimes makes questionable "errors" on audits BUT when you go searching in the archives the work is quality and I rarely see many mistakes. Which I also look at as job security!
Glad it's working out well for you. (NM) - MT 44
[ In Reply To ..]
x

My experience - with NEMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Good morning, Curious. I started with NEMT just last month. This is my first position as an IC after being an employee for 14 years.

They do ask that you can give specific days and times that you can commit to but do not bother me if I deviate from it a little. I'm on 2nd shift. So long as I do my lines during that shift, I'm never bothered if I deviate from my start time a bit.

As far as the people, they're well organized, friendly, and helpful. Whenever I have a question, all of the editors/QA are on our messenger and answer it promptly. I also get timely responses to emails.

The platform is very easy to use, which is ChartNet. No problems with lags or freezing up--so far so good.

After being here only a month, I'm up to 200 lph and increasing each week. The main reason for taking the time to increase my lph is stopping to make personal samples and looking up physician names, as I am not familiar with all of them yet. There are some difficult dictators on my account, but we are paid an additional 1 cpl for them. My pay the last week averaged $17 per hour, which is increasing each week, as I said. Some of the MTs said they averaged only $10 an hour, which I also did, but that was my first week here. It takes time to get used to new dictators and their styles, stop and make samples, familiarize self with account specifics, etc. However, I am progressing each week, and that's the most important thing. My goal is to get up to 250 lph, which is definitely doable.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Everyone! - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks to all who responded, much appreciated!

Just got hired - Hopeful

[ In Reply To ..]
I just got hired with NEMT and I really hope to have the same experiences as "Becky" and "with NEMT." Everone has a fit somewhere, and to date I haven't found one yet. Hoping NEMT is the one. I can say that unlike other companies, I have heard more good than bad about NEMT. Keeping my fingers crossed.

My experience with NEMT... - anonymouse

[ In Reply To ..]
I started the "orientation" phase of working with NEMT the first week, which was last week. Orientation is basically training. You work from (in my case) 8 am est to 2 pm est doing only a couple of different work types. Then when you get used to those I guess they add a couple more. I usually could not even get the required 5 reports done in that time period because there was not that many, sometimes 3 or 4. The first week I was audited and did not get my required 98% accuracy. The second week (this week) I was informed that I had failed my audit again by 0.3% (I had a 97.7% and needed 98%). I was contacted by human resources and let go because of that. I guess I wasn't good enough for them; although, I've never had that happen before.
Unfortunately, I am done with medical transcription. This profession is a joke. I'm going to school this fall for elementary education.

Similar Messages:

NEMT - New England Medical Transcription
Oct 08, 2010

Not sure what is up but find it odd with this company.  I passed their tests and of course they send me paperwork to fill out as a new hire whjich I did.  Get an email stating that the HR person would contact me to set up an interview.  Okay, maybe I need a nap, but I sent them paperwork telling them the schedule that I would be available to work; sent it along with testing files, then got another email as to my schedule and availablility (this was with the "Welcome to NEMT email").  I get a ...

New England Medical Transcription--NEMT
Sep 18, 2011

Any MTs that work for NEMT out of Portland Maine.  Was thinking about applying there, but I was wondering if anyone that works for them currently would like to share any information, what software platforms they use, is it VR or straight typing, any benefits, etc.  Thank you ...

New England Medical Transcription?
Oct 21, 2009

Anyone out there work for New England Medical Transcription?  I'm interested in them and hoping to get hired on their clinic accounts whenever they start hiring for them again... Are they good about keeping you in work during the time when you want to work? Any pros, cons, good or bad experiences will be appreciated!   Thanks! ...

Any New England Medical Transcription MTs?
Mar 13, 2011

Hi, Anyone on here work for NEMT?  Seem like nice people to me.  Pay is average.  No offshoring; that's a plus.  ...

Applying To New England Medical Transcription
Jun 29, 2012

I am considering applying to NEMT. What kind of experiences has anyone had working with this company in the recent past? ...

MD-IT, Southern Transcription Services, Or NEMT
Oct 27, 2010

Hello!  I am looking to supplement my FT work.  I have had offers from all 3 companies and am having trouble making up my mind.  Anyone with GEMS cardiology comments (cannot keep line count, paid by dictated minute)?  ChartNet platform comments?  STS?  I have spoken to very nice people at all companies, and they seem to be organized and helpful.  Any advice or comments would be welcome.  Thanks for your time. ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

New England Transcripts
Mar 20, 2015

Hi All!  I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with New England Transcripts based in the Boston area.  (This is not New England Transcription - I sent my resume to them too and really hope to get in because I hear they're good to work for).  They do interviews and focus groups and stuff like that.  Would love to stay in medical, but it's getting kinda scary.  Anyway, I sent my resume and they immediately replied (not always a good sign).  I foun ...

Anyone Ever Work For New England Transcripts?
Dec 04, 2014

Anyone ever work for New England Transcripts? ...

New England Transciption/Toyah Health Services
Nov 13, 2010

Regarding Toth Transcription and US Wage & Labor.   Employees/ICs for above company in Portland, CTis at least 4-6 months late in paying, 4 pay checks NSF.  New bookkeeper each month.  Husband and wife operation.  Same story as Toth Transcription.  Please think twice before applying.   Been there, just trying to help. ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...

JLG Medical Transcription
Sep 09, 2010

Any info on JLG pros/cons, pay would be greatly appreciated. ...

Medical Transcription.
Jan 21, 2011

I have a certificate through Stratford Career Institute and have had a hard time trying to get employment. I don't have any prior experience in the medical transcription field and am very interested in getting pointed in the right direction on what to do from here on how I can further a career in this field. If anyone can be of some help please let me know. ...

Non Medical Transcription
Feb 02, 2011

I am an independent contractor. Have always charged per line count. Have an opportunity to transcribe 30 minute audio interviews. Any thoughts on what or how to charge for this? Thanks! ...

Qed Medical Transcription
Apr 02, 2011

Has anyone ever tried taking the typing test for QED transcription? For some reason I am not getting into the testing site.  '( ...

U.S. Transcription Non Medical
Sep 01, 2011

I answered an ad for U.S. Transcription posted on MT Jobs, was asked to test, and within an hour of submitting my test I was offered a job.  After my heart came down from a happy dance at an actual job offer, I found I really have some things to think about before I say yes. This would be for 2nd shift, non-medical transcription at 0.06/cpl for straight transcription, 0.03/cpl if a company provided template is used.  I suppose I need to ask what my expected production would be before ...

Looking At Going Into Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2011

I am looking into the Medical Transcription field but wanted to get info about the field from those that are in it before I take the plunge.  I'm not looking at earning a huge salary or medical benefits etc, just some extra to help the HH income. I'm looking at Career Step for my certificate. Any factual info or career experience would be appreciated. ...

Same Day Medical Transcription
Mar 24, 2012

Has anyone heard anything about this transcription company or done any work for them?  What was your experience?  Thanks. ...

New To Medical Transcription
Apr 20, 2012

I'm fairly new to medical transcription. I received my certification in 2010 and was a little discouraged when applying for jobs and they were all looking for experienced agents to work from home. I've recently decided to start back looking for work and decided to offer my services free of charge just to get the experience so I can apply in a year or two for actual paying work. Has anyone else done this or know how to get started? Or even know someone who needs a transcription intern? ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc.
May 03, 2012

Watch out for this company .... They seem a bit strange. ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc ??
May 12, 2012

Has anyone heard of USA Medical Transcription, Inc?? I can't find a website for them although when I do a reverse (fax) number look-up, it says it's in Palm Beach, FL. Info is appreciated! ...

Anyone Ever Do Non-medical Transcription And Like It?
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone ever do non-medical transcription? I'm interested to know if you liked it. I tried it for a few days and just decided it wasn't for me. A lot of it was phone conversations and was very hard to understand and I ended up leaving lots of blanks. The pay was bad too and I gave it up today. It was like torture to me to sit and listen to this voice file and one was almost 2 hours long that I did not finish before I quit. Appreciate anyone's input into this. I am feeling ba ...

Non-medical Transcription?
Dec 08, 2012

I'm a 2011 MT grad who posted not long ago looking for advice.  While googling MT companies to apply to, I found some non-medical transcription services, namely one that transcribes dialogue from a video for production/entertainment companies.  This site had instructions and a download to take the test.  What the heck, I'm going to take it and see what happens.  Since MT is practically a dead-end career, I've been trying to come up with ther ways to utilize my ...

For Those Of You Who Took Medical Transcription
Apr 18, 2013

I having been checking out various things lately with regards to where I would like to go job wise in the near future. I started out going to school for nursing and completed all the pre-reqs: Anatomy and Physiology I & II, biology, psychiatry, basic nutrition, algebra and English etc. Half-way through I hit a bump in the road and had to take a break from school and instead of sitting out a full year, I decided to do something less stressful, which is how I got into medical transcription. L ...

Getting Out Of Medical Transcription
Apr 29, 2013

I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, what I do, I just want to hit a time cloc just to have something to get out.  I don't carek.  I am so tired of being stressed and the happy days, when I have tons of work, just to be hit the next day with zero work, and stress on my off days that maybe I should log in and "catch up". I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, not even caring what I do, I just want to hit a time clock and KNOW what my schedule will be and KNOW how ...

Thank You Medical Transcription
Aug 23, 2013

I quit a job a dozen years ago to jump into the "Work At Home" dream.  I had little money, was quite naive, worked from dark to dark with absolutely no help from the small MTSO, who later ripped me off $5,000.  BUT, I learned. After my first experience with "running out of work", I just found more work.  I got unusually lucky and found a job and was MTing again in a few days. That gig gave me nearly 10 years of working for another small MTSO.  I got busy and made tons of mon ...