A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

It's pretty easy to see one of the problems with - Transcend supervisors.

Posted: Jul 13, 2010

...and probably those of some other companies as well.  Transcend supervisors are expected to oversee teams of up to 35 MTs, keep the account in TAT, mentor their people to improve their performance, ride herd on "mavericks", monitor the account status and do all of the other typical supervisory chores....

....while transcribing 75 to 80% of the time. 

....in exchange for which they are paid a stipend of $700 a month.

Now, there is so much wrong with this picture that I won't belabor the point, but it's just another example of a transcription company that wants to have its cake and eat it too.  In this case, they want an individual who is handling two jobs simultaneously, each of which is nearly full-time in its demands. 

I've read a number of complaints about Transcend supervisors who have seemed to be, shall we say, less than "leadership" types in terms of their communications with their people.  They've been terse and seemingly impatient - but I for one think we have to cut them some slack.  I have no difficulty at all in seeing these people having to work long hours, sometimes six or seven days a week, in order to meet these expectations.  I have no difficulty at all seeing people who are frazzled beyond frazzle, and I have no difficulty saying that $700 a month for their "second job" is hardly adequate compensation.

Transcend wants supervisors, but they don't really want supervisors.  So if you work for Transcend and you have a "good" supervisor - thank your lucky stars (and your supervisor), because Transcend had nothing to do with that bit of good fortune.  In fact, they do everything possible to make it highly unlikely that you'll get a good supervisor.

On the other hand, if you have a "bad" supervisor, you might cut them some slack, because Transcend has done everything possible to make it highly likely that they're much less than the supervisor they could be if someone at the upper levels of Transcend took some time off for a course in basic business management principles -or, better yet, how to build high-speed, low-drag teams.

There's nothing wrong, per se, with a "transcribing supervisor".  However, the expectation here (75-80% of time spent transcribing) is simply self-defeating.  There's a story of a man who was walking in the woods and came upon a lumberjack who was hacking and hacking and hacking at a tree.  Sweat was pouring off him, and yet he was making very little progress.

"You need to sharpen your axe", said the man.

"What?!  Can't you see that I'm too busy to stop and sharpen my axe?" replied the lumberjack.

The team is the axe, and the lumberjack is the supervisor.  Chopping down that tree is the "mission" of the team.  Hewing away at the tree while the axe becomes duller and duller is precisely how Transcend sets up the supervisor's position.

The appropriate expectation for a "transcribing supervisor" is that SUPERVISION MUST COME FIRST, and its demands must dictate how much transcribing the supervisor does personally.  One week it might be 50%, another week it might be somewhat more or somewhat less.  But here we have the tail wagging the dog, to use another metaphor.  Instead of the supervisory responsibilities on a given day dictating how much transcribing the supervisor does, we have a (ridiculous) transcription expectation (for the supervisor) dictating how much supervising they can do.

Absurd, folks...and not very bright, either.  To Transcend management - your supervisors would be more valuable to you if you turned your model around and had them spending the majority of their time sharpening the axe.  It's the axe that does the work.

Building high-performance teams is challenging work, and it involves much more than sending out email messages, scolding people:  "Why didn't you work your shift yesterday, you lazy git?"  JOB ONE for a team leader can be expressed in one of two ways:

1.  Every single member of the team is empowered and shown (specifically) how to maximize their potential and minimize their shortcomings.

2.  Every single member of the team embraces and supports the team's success, and identifies with the mission on a deeply personal level.

...and I apologize for the redundancy, because #1 is precisely the same thing as #2.  Accomplishing these ideals means that the supervisor does team building FIRST and transcribes in the "cracks" of time available.  She does NOT transcribe first and build her team in the "cracks" of time left over.

EXCELLENT! - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you!

Supervisors - at Transcend

[ In Reply To ..]
You stated "I have no difficulty at all in seeing these people having to work long hours, sometimes six or seven days a week, in order to meet these expectations>" What about the MT that has to work 12-14 hours a day and 6-7 days a week to meet their expectations?? As has been suggested on this board many times about the MT - if you cannot cut it find a different job. I guarantee these supervisors are not sitting around for 12-14 hours a day waiting for jobs to appear so they can meet their requirement of transcribing 75-80% of the time. They knew what was expected of them when they took on the position of a supervisor and if they cannot take the heat they need to get out of the kitchen. The bottom line is why cut the supervisor SLACK when they do not cut the MT any slack. I will agree with one thing - they have too many responsibiliites, but that is the name of their game. It they cannot cut it in their current role then they need to move on!!!! I wqould like to be guaranteed $700 a month stipend. Sounds like you may be in a supervisory role yourself.

I'm a retired supervisor - not for Transcend - - and you missed the point.

[ In Reply To ..]
I supervised teams of over 40 people, and I know both what it takes, and how it's done (right). Fortunately, I worked for a company with enlightened management who understood the principles that I expressed in my original post. I won't mention the name here because the company did so well that the owners were made an offer that was almost double the usual calculation of value for a transcription company which they couldn't refuse, and so it no longer exists.

The "get out of the kitchen" comment you made indicates that you didn't follow the thrust of my post. As such, I really can't respond to you because we'd be talking about two totally different subjects.

I am not a supervisor or "manager" or anything.sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
but a regular MT, but even I know they work very, very long hours and days for little compensation in my estimation. Fortunately for me, I have the best of the lot of them so I agree, cut them some slack, especially when you have one like I do who cuts us slack all the time.

So..... how many hours a week do YOU work? And - how well are you compensated for it?

[ In Reply To ..]
And BTW - most supervisors CAN'T cut it.

I so agree! - ex-Transcend MT and ex supervisor

[ In Reply To ..]
I was a supervisor for MedQuist, and recently left Transcend. I wish I had the guarantee of an additional $700 a month in my job, and in fact I just wish I made that much a month!! I do not feel sorry for Transcend supervisors, or any supervisor that has to type and do her job, because I did the same thing, without a stipend, by doing both typing and supervising. I do know for a fact that some of the Transcend supervisors, in order to make their line count, took work away from the MTs on certain accounts and kept the work on the days they needed to make their line counts. I had work taken away from my own account some evenings, and knew it was done because the supervisor said, "sorry girls, I have to type now so I can make my line count..you are now on your own for awhile." I had 1 supervisor with Transcend who was never available when you needed her, and you had to sent her numerous e-mails, and try to get in touch with her by phone, sometimes for hours on end.

You hit the nail on the head. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I also know that the TLs will take work away to make their line count because I've seen it happen too. I also know that my TL can straight type at least 200+ lph, so it does not take her long to reach her daily quota. Plus, the 75% to 80% of the line count quota is for the whole pay period, not just per day. Now take into consideration that they are generally paid more per line for both editing and straight typing, and it does not take long to reach the line count quota.

When we first started on the current paystub web site, we all got a copy of what a TL paystub so we could see what it would look like. The rate for straight typing was 10 cpl and editing was 6 cpl. Now if we only have to earn $900 per pay period (some with 11 or 12 days in them), figure how long it would take a person typing 200+ lines per hour to reach the 75% of the line quota. Since our account is still on straight typing, at 10 cpl and at 75% of the $900, our TL only has to type 614 lines per day to qualify in a 10-day period. At 200+ lines per hour, that's a little over 3 hours a day.

I'm not saying that they have it easy by any means. I'm just saying that when it comes to production they definitely have the upper hand.

Excellent description - Ex-Transcend Employee

[ In Reply To ..]
Excellent post! I am an ex-Transcender who was offered the "team leader" position multiple times but I turned it down for the exact reasons you state it can't be done well. Team leaders come and go there all the time because no one can keep up that pace all the time and do a good job and keep their sanity.

Expectations - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
Just another example of GREED!!!! They do want their cake and eat it too exactlty. It is just so sad that people have to endure these ridiculous working conditions to make a small living. The word transcend means

1 a : to rise above or go beyond the limits of b : to triumph over the negative or restrictive aspects of : OVERCOME c : to be prior to, beyond, and above (the universe or material existence)
2 : to outstrip or outdo in some attribute, quality, or powerintransitive verb : to rise above or extend notably beyond ordinary limits

This company is sure living up to its name or trying their best using whatever tactics it takes, but they are not the only ones - sad but rrue.

Eloquently put - XTR

[ In Reply To ..]
You have hit the nail on the head. I have to add that they seem to put people in the TL role who have never done that sort of thing before, don't really know what they're getting into, but get so dazzled by having a new title that they don't think twice about accepting the new position. They have no real past demonstrated ability to be put into a supervisory position and certainly not enough experience to see that it is a self-defeating role they are being thrust into. I have seen many of them let the new title go to their heads and behave like jerks, but on the other hand I always had to remember that they are in a no-win position formulated by Transcend. You are so right when you say Transcend wants to have their cake and eat it too, and they prey on people who don't know enough to know they are getting into a no-win situation. You simply cannot take the time out to type and perform adequate supervision, period. Transcend does not seem to be able to learn from this and just cycles through TL after TL, making it harder on the MTs who have to put up with the resultant instability and lack of real, helpful, insightful supervision. There are few TLs who somehow make it work, but alas they are few and far between.

I hope every MTSO has a copy of your post - on the table at their next big pow-wow. XLNT!

[ In Reply To ..]
The story about the axe is such a clear illustration of the problem, it should be tattooed to the forehead of every MTSO upper management person.

Me tooo! Excellent. Why cannot management SEEEEEEE!!!, GREED nm - .

[ In Reply To ..]

Obviously written by management or a team lead - on the other hand

[ In Reply To ..]
So you want us to cut you slack? When was the last time you cut anyone slack? You are hiding your nasty, vile mouth and e-mails behind the cover of management pushing you too hard, you are underpaid and no one appreciates you.

Face it, no one respects someone who is nasty and ugly. You are probably the witch who writes us up if we are 10 minutes late for our shift, but then sits there and begs us to work long, long hours and not record it on the timecards so it makes you look good and you can go for a higher position because you are a control freak.

Some of the TLs are good, but the majority are just backside kissers who do everything just the way the big cheese ROM wants it done, never disagrees, and will never take the side of the MLS. After all, didn't most of these ROMs get the job by cuddling up to SM, DM, LL, VA, some of the nastiest in the business.

You knew what the job entailed before you took it, and don't plead that you are not a TL. How else would you know the workload numbers. This is not advertised. You keep the job because it is an open door so you can cherrypick the work from the rest of us and slide under the wire without having to meet the same standards we do with that horrible mmode editor.

Transcend, or the ROMs, got rid of all their good people a long time ago, the ones who actually cared about the MTs. Now they just pick their pets and put them into place. The management technique they provide is as bad as the management the ROMs provide, and they are all getting as mean as cobs.

I am not and have never been a Transcend TL - I answered this question above.

[ In Reply To ..]
The numbers I cited are all listed in a Transcend job listing that you can find for yourself on another board. I cannot give the name of that board because the management here doesn't permit it.

More to the point:

1. My post was not "about" cutting supervisors slack - merely suggesting that there might be some things to take into account when they get "raggy".

2. Whether a supervisor cuts YOU slack might very well not be within her discretion. Remember, in companies that are run with this sort of poor management philosophy, it is highly likely that she has someone ragging at her.

3. Characterizing supervisors as "backside kissers" presumes that you know a lot more than you possibly can know.

4. Sometimes a supervisor doesn't know at all what she's getting into when she takes a job. She might very well regret bitterly making that decision. And she might not have any options as to whether she can just up and quit the job (companies do not ALWAYS allow a supervisor to "drop back" to MT positions). At first, she thinks that she is struggling because she doesn't know the job very well yet, or that "this isn't how things are all the time". Pretty soon, she's invested quite a bit of herself in the position and it's not really very reasonable to suggest that she should just throw it all overboard.

But what's more likely is that she keeps the job despite the difficulties because she thinks that she can make a difference somehow. I've known any number of supervisors who worked beyond the time they had planned to retire because they felt that their team needed them. Loyalty, if it exists at all, flows both ways.

From your comments, you seem very bitter. I hope that you're able to step back and take a more balanced view of the real point I was making in my post, which is that there are companies like Transcend that have it all wrong when it comes to their expectations of their supervisors, and that this has a predictably negative impact on their ability to have a positive impact on the team.

Your comments - do not justify the situation

[ In Reply To ..]
In reference to your point "4. Sometimes a supervisor doesn't know at all what she's getting into when she takes a job. She might very well regret bitterly making that decision. And she might not have any options as to whether she can just up and quit the job (companies do not ALWAYS allow a supervisor to "drop back" to MT positions). At first, she thinks that she is struggling because she doesn't know the job very well yet, or that "this isn't how things are all the time". Pretty soon, she's invested quite a bit of herself in the position and it's not really very reasonable to suggest that she should just throw it all overboard."

At Transcend TLs CAN "drop back" to MT position. And the same scenario as far as "she thinks that she is struggling because she doesn't know the job very well yet, or that "this isn't how things are all the time". Pretty soon, she's invested quite a bit of herself in the position and it's not really very reasonable to suggest that she should just throw it all overboard" pertains to the individual MT employed by Transcend. As it has been mentioned many times on this board to the MT - if you are unhappy or struggling find another job!!! Well the MT probably finds herself in the same situation as the supervisor, maybe this is not the way things are all the time pertaining to low work volume, etc and they have been a long-term employee and have a lot invested and should just not throw it overboard. It sounds very much like you are trying to defend the TLs for this company and maybe you are a TL and are feeling the heat from upper management and want the MTs to cut you slack. You do not ever mention once the MTs positions and how they are treated or defend their positions, just the TLs.

You are incorrect. There is a job ad on mtjobs - that describe the requirements.

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

This is curious. It must really be a nasty ROM who needs that supervisor/TL, (SM) - Interesting

[ In Reply To ..]
The job is not even advertised on the transcend website. You would think that with 2500+ MLS they could find someone in-house to take the job. Also, this really puts a hole in their requirements that you have to have scores of above 4 for most of the editing requirements. Maybe they should consider extending the same courtesy to employees. Now some poor team is going to have to put up with a team lead who knows absolutely nothing but how to act like Hitler but cannot answer their questions about the account, the platforms or anything else. Way to go Transcend. (Think it might be time to look at some of your ROMs and decide who is causing the problems and why no one will work for them?)

Outside hiring is definitely discrimination on the part of Transcend. - Transcender

[ In Reply To ..]
How have these new applicants met the requirements of 98% QA scores, scores of more than 4 for the various categories on voice recognition, etc. Something is wrong!

Similar Messages:

Doctor Going From Tapes To Wave Files--what Software Is Easy To Install, Easy To Use And Inexpensive
Apr 29, 2010

Do I have to buy the dictation equipment or the doctor?  Can I use the software with moer than one client?  We are moving and this is key to keeping my job.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks so much in advance for all help! ...

Pretty Sad
Apr 30, 2011

A local real estate company in my area offers a document shredding day every 6 months or so. I have a ton of old papers that need to be shreaded so I was going through some of them tonight and I came across a bid given to my boss when I worked in the Radiology Dept. in a large HMO back in 1986. It was a bid from a transcription service trying to get the contract for the outpatient Radiology. My boss gave it to me as I was the Sr. Transcriptionist; we were union and no way was ...

Pretty Much Says It.
Aug 22, 2013

This Pretty Much Says It All!!!
Nov 02, 2013

http://wesa.fm/post/upmc-medical-transcriptionists-protest-payment-structure-changes#.UnUDcADpHN0.email ...

Probably An Easy One, I'm New At This.
Jun 18, 2010

FINDINGS PA and lateral views. Comparison exam 4/30/07. The lungs appear clear. Cardiomediastinal silhouette is within normal limits. IMPRESSION Unremarkable chest. <???> changes from 4/30/07 exam.   I was thinking it sounded like "No speculative changes" but it's very blurred and sort of sounds like "noticed the beginning of changes" but that doesn't make much sense. I just can NOT make out what the dictator is saying! A more experienced MT will probabl ...

Here's How Easy It Is
Mar 14, 2012

Make a sign - use cardboard, paint, real easy.  It will say  "OCCUPY M*MODAL" or "OCCUPY ACCENTUS" (I just pull names out of a hat).  Then list one or two of the most egregious abuses on the sign.  Extra points for humor or good zingers. Go stand somewhere in public.  Maybe connect up with Occupiers in your area.  Just stand there with your sign.  Have a friend take a pic,and post it online.  Maybe stand outside a local hospital or other health care clini ...

CCM Pretty Worthless
Jan 23, 2012

I am so tired of the d*@m excuses all the time. I send emails to my CCM they never get answered, its not like they are not important, they are not stupid worthless questions. I don't think we got decent training so of course we have questions, so then I have to email her boss to get an answer, but the excuse is "well she has 150 people to supervise so she's very busy." Well that's not my problem she took that position she should d#@m well answer her emails! Is there a place in ...

NJA-Pretty Bad Today
May 07, 2013

Out of work all day today, usually I have an hour or 2. Think I may need to change my shift! How is everyone else doing today? ...

Pretty Sucky
Feb 05, 2014

get an answer to phone calls or e-mails to your Acronym o' the Day, for days and weeks at a time. Just venting, TY ...

Bayscribe Is Easy To Use?
Feb 17, 2011

I just found out that the company I work for is going to start using Bayscribe next week. I never heard of it untill now.  I currently use Word with my own word expander. Does any one know if it is productive and easy to use? ...

Easy Bike?
Feb 15, 2012

The patient is recovering from a broken hip.  She is supposed to use her Easy Bike?  Is that correct spelling or is it something else?  Thanks. ...

What Is An Easy Way To Tell The Difference Between These Two?
Mar 23, 2012

Procyte and Prosight I know that Prosight is a multivitamin.  I found both on WebMD's drugs and meds A-Z.  There was no information on Procyte.  It was just listed as Procyte Top.  I was not aware that there was a Procyte until earlier today.  The doctor dictated "And be careful you use the correct one, but I am unsure of the spelling."  That confused me a bit, so I did some research and the only place that I found any mention of Procyte was on WebMD.  An ...

Need SHORTHAND Help ASAP!! Pretty Please!
Oct 16, 2009

When using Shorthand, I type a word and then if I have to put a comma after the expanded work the word comes up again. Example: I type my abbreviation for "however" and put a comma after it and it looks like this:  "howeveowever," This happens with every word that gets expanded and then I type a comma after. What's up with that and can anybody help?  I can't seem to find anything in the Shorthand Guidebook. ...

People Are Really Pretty Nice On Here
Feb 05, 2010

I've noticed that all-in-all, people are pretty nice on here. There are a few negative people and people who jump to conclusions and take things the wrong way, but those are very few. Most of the people here are quick to try to help when others need advice to improve their production or find a job. That's so refreshing. ...

Dictator Said Pretty Clearly COUTERINE
Jun 25, 2010

sounds like CO-UTERINE MANIPULATOR.  I found Cohen but I clearly hear CO.  Anyone heard of this?    TIA ...

Stentel Pays Pretty Low
Nov 02, 2014

I understand that Stentel pays pretty low, but I am wondering if they are negotiable or if their platform etc still allows you to make more money that a company that pays a little more. How is their incentive plan if they have one? I do see that the actual cpl isn't always the bottom line. Any info appreciated. ...

Work Looks Pretty Well Caught Up And Still
Mar 17, 2015

demanding everyone work OT for 2 weeks? Why? I really don't want to run out of work, but they're setting us up for that it seems. ...

Is Webmedex Platform Easy To Use?
Jan 16, 2010

Do you have to go to a lot of screens to enter demographic data?  Is there a lot of downtime?  Is the VR program fairly decent or are they putting every dictator on it and then the MLS has to straighten it out.     ...

How To Look Like An Idiot In 3 Easy Steps
Feb 21, 2010

I made my resume approximately 7 years ago.  Since that time, when searching for new employment opportunities, I have added recent experience, PC upgrades, new software, new training, etc, to my resume and sent it out updated with what currently applies.  In the past 10 days, I have sent my resume to approximately 50 companies in my newest search for work.  In the past 7 years, I have sent my resume to probably 200 potential employers. Today, for the first time, I received a re ...

Ortho - Easy To Learn?
Mar 17, 2010

Hello!  I have been contacted to do some ortho backup which I have never done.  Just wondering how difficult this is to learn.  They tell me all docs are pretty good dictators.  TIA. ...

Easy Workup Reading?
Jun 24, 2011

"Chest:  Clear to auscultation bilaterally with s/l an easy workup reading.  He had equal breath sounds heard throughout." I don't know what "easy workup reading" actually is. ...

There Is No Easy Way In Word To Cap After Colon Is There?
Dec 05, 2014

a word expander like Speed Type would do that?  And can you use Speed Type along with MS Word?  And transfer over all your AutoCorrect entries easily?  I emailed the company but haven't heard from them.  : ( ...

Feel Pretty Bad About Line Counts
Jul 21, 2012

I am getting to feel pretty bad about my line counts.  I feel like it is getting harder and harder all the time.  Now I am down to about 100 LPH on VR and I am logging in and out b/c I got the performance review, that I am not supposed to have hands off keyboard or foot off pedal. I have been on since 11 a.m. and it is 3:30 and I only have 500 lines.  What is wrong with me... I used to get 1200 lines in 6 hours, now I am getting 600 in 6 hours... What the heck???? ...

I Am Not A Newbee, But I Have Done Pretty Much Only Ops For The Past 30 Years And I Need Help. Sm
Mar 22, 2014

I was doing a summary this morning and the dosage was q.4h p.r.n. Now, is that correct of is it q. 4h p.r.n. Is it 1 tablet p.o. b.i.d. ?? I'm so out of it with this stuff that it's making me paranoid and I can't find it in my book of style.  Thanks in advance and please excuse my old age blip.. ...

My MTSO Pretty Much Lost An Account....
Aug 12, 2014

It was my secondary account and wasn't a bad one to do.  The client got a new EMR that has them doing most, if not all, of the work on their end and very little, if any, left for us.  I hope this isn't a sign of the times ahead for me.  (Sigh) ...

Easy Assemble 24 Dot Matrix Printer
Jan 20, 2011

Does anyone know if there is an easy to assemble 24 dot matrix printer? ...

Coding Credentials Made Easy!
Jan 12, 2012

People who are new to coding get confused about credentials. There is some great information in the pages below if you read what has been written on here for months, and I definitely recommend doing that. You will learn more than you can imagine.  I thought I would try to put it in a short,  easy-to-understand format, specifically designed for MTs who are transitoning to coding. CCS and CPC - Impressive! Marketable skills. This is comparable to a medical transcriptionist who can type ...

Easy High-Paying Jobs
Mar 10, 2012

Not saying anyone would ever possibly want to get OUT of MT, but if there should be some lunatics on the board who are thinking this way, well...     ...

Escription - Is This An Easy Program To Learn?
Aug 20, 2013

Is this an easy program to learn? I have applied for a few posiions and was wondering about it. ...

Is ByteScribe An Easy Platform To Learn?
Sep 29, 2014

d ...