A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone ever regret leaving MT field? - ???

Posted: Jul 31, 2013

To any former MT who has left the field: Have you ever regretted it and wished to come back or did come back? I've been an MT only 5 years and I feel stuck in which career path to go down. Done the whole pros and cons list of WAH versus outside work. I'm thinking that MT is not something I will be able to do until retirement 30 years from now. IDK if it's just a bad day/week for me or if I'm fickle and jump from job to job (longest job at one place was 4 years non MT). Like I said, only been MTing 5 years, now at my 2nd MTSO. I like what I do but I don't. I know of some people at my company who came back (don't know why they left, how long they were out, or why they came back). I like the medical field and patient care but didn't want RN. I originally wanted x-ray tech or the like but was told back in 2005 there was no market for it (too many grads for too few spots) so I chose MT. But now being in it for a few years I'm debating if it is worth all the stuff that comes with it. My former school doesn't even offer MT as a field anymore. What does that say? BTW, I'm in WI. My MTSO starts with an "A." I've heard this is one of the best MTSOs compared to alot out there so I feel lucky in that aspect but MT in general is just...I don't know, ya know?

No, no, no, no, NO NO NO - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
You ask if we've ever regretted leaving...my answer is no, a million times no. MY LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER - and financially, things still aren't that great, they are pretty bad!

But I just take it a day at a time - and NO STRESS FROM VR, listening to people you can BARELY UNDERSTAND ALL DAY LONG - you can't imagine till that isn't in your life anymore...how WONDERFUL IT IS TO GET YOUR EARS BACK!!!!!!!!

To get your life back, interact with real people.

No, I don't regret it AT ALL.

By the way, "A" in Wisconsin - THE PITS, LOW PAY, too many accounts, the basic story of MT misery. Oppressive, wage slavery in the form of medical transcription. My advice is to get out of MT now, don't waste time. Just get out.
Anyway, that is my advice.

TY...sm - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
After I posted this, I thought duh wait if anyone left MT and isn't an MT anymore they probably aren't on MTstars. LOL

One of the things I do worry about is with Obamacare and all that stuff changing next year, what if I stay in MT and then 2-3 years down the line I get the boot ("downsizing") and then I'll be 40 and looking for a job. I'm lucky enough to have a spouse with a FT job as well. No kids. But I do have a mortgage, dog, bills, and one FT income will not cut it even if we live w/o cable and eat Ramen. Thank you for your response.

My job before MT was in a chiro office making $14/hr. Loved it. Just couldn't hack the hour drive to work and back anymore, especially in winter. Regret leaving there. Since I started in MT, I applied anywhere within my city limits to make a living (my 1st MTSO SUCKED!!!). I'm at $11-12/hr now which is okay and so working outside the home for anything less than $12/hr just won't work with all the extra expense. Plus I need the insurance (hubby's job has no benefits so I carry us). I guess the only thing holding me back is fear of the unknown and leaving my dog home alone all day. She's the only thing keeping me sane being home all day by myself. Anyway, lots to think about...mostly MT's future.

Thanks again!

not yet but when I do - this is THE LAST place I would frequent. - anon NM

[ In Reply To ..]
[][]
Right...me neither - ???
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I only drop by occasionally to catch up on - Not looking back
[ In Reply To ..]
frequent posters I came to "know" here...to see what they ended up doing with themselves and how they are.

Like one of the other posters on this thread, I'm not doing any better financially either, as I started my own business and still not breaking even; but I am nonetheless 10 times happier than I was doing MT. My husband even commented on it last week, that I seem much happier and more energetic and optimistic. Added bonus...getting out and moving around has helped me drop almost 40 pounds. I know the income will be there once I get my processes down and business built up. Struggling a bit in the meantime on just husband's retirement, but was struggling anyway on the MT pay.

I do...and I'm back too! - Mscuedawg

[ In Reply To ..]
I was laid off from my MT job in 2010 around the same time my husband's job was being transferred across country so when we got here...I thought "Hmmm...it will be nice to interact with people and get paid." The grass is always greener...interacting with a bunch of back-biting, back-stabbing, drama filled females? No thanks. Finally made the plunge to work from home again. No gas money, lunch money, and clothing allowance. I may not make a million, but I love doing what I do.

TY for that...that's what I'm afraid of. n/m - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

: - Long Time MT-NY

[ In Reply To ..]
I do every single day. I even went back to school, got a job in an office making $17 hour but I hate it and now I'm stuck my husband took retirement when a big Fortune 500 company went into bankruptcy and now they've taken our health benefits away. I would have to say I love my boss but the structure, the boredom, the backstabbing, the a**kissing, I can't stand it Was MTing the best in recent years-no but I could pretty much work when I went, throw in a load of laundry, sleep in or work late, work more if I needed extra momeym run errands. I wish I could find a halfway decent MT job Id come home in a heartbeat. Actually that's why I'm here today to see what's on the job board!.

Grass is ALWAYS greener, and I detest the backstabbers, too... - BottomLine

[ In Reply To ..]
I practically ran full speed to get out of working in offices. The experiences I had were shocking. So much drama, so many cliques, and so much misery! Yes, loved the more even paychecks (not based on production but hourly); however, I absolutely hated the nonsense, bickering, gossip, and even the competitiveness of fellow teammates who'd trample on heads to reach for the next rung in the ladder.

And that's what I'm most concerned about. Second is reinventing myself. I'm getting too old to keep making major life changes as it takes a ton of energy. I might have to do it, though, and try to focus on the pros instead of the cons.

It seems, though, that in some ways it's a trade off of one type of worry and stress for another. Ultimately, though, it comes down to whether or not there's enough income to pay bills and eat.

No more MT! - Sabrina

[ In Reply To ..]
I left the MT field 3 weeks ago after being in it for over 20 years. I will NEVER be back. I was lucky enough to find a doctor who has faith in me to remember how to work in a medical office. While leaving the house is very hard, the hours later, my migraines are GONE, my smile is back. I get paid whether I am working or sitting, I am not worried about off-shoring, and while the pay is not great, at least I will have raises instead of pay cuts year after year. I hope you decide to go for it. I did and while it was VERY scary, I am glad it happened. Good luck.

No, I dont regret it. - see message.

[ In Reply To ..]
I kinda accidently left MT. A friend of mine who works for a very large health network who owns a large multispecialty clinic, several doctor's office and many hospitals in my state put in a word for me with her supervisor. She knew the predicament I was in after being outsourced to an MTSO and the drastic cut in pay I took.

I was actually comfortable working from home even though financially it was kicking my butt because hubby is on disability. Well I went ahead and applied as I had previous experience as a CNA (almost 13 years ago), a phlebotomy certificate and many college courses that I had taken towards nursing prior to becoming an MT.

Long story short, they hired me and now I am a medical office assistant working n a clinic. I only make $13 an hour, but guess what? I don't have to struggle for it. It's guaranteed. I don't have to worry about line counts, no jobs available etc. That $13 is promised to me as long as I show up to work everyday, punch the time clock and do my job.

I didn't realize what a blessing it was to actually get out the house everyday and go into work, be on a daily routine, actually deal with other people face-to-face besides just my family. I LOVE IT!!! I use to work 10am to 6:30 pm from home and now I get up at 7 am and work 8:30am to 5:30pm. I use to sleep in most of the time and get up at about 9 am or with just enough time to make my coffee, wash my face & brush my teeth. Now even on my days off I am up no later than 7:30 or 8 am.

I get to go to garage sales now on Saturdays, plan for weekend get aways etc. I love it and it's so worth it. Im happier, more energetic and active. After working from home for 6 years - MT for 12.5 yrs, but worked from home 5 years for hospital I use to work for and then 1 yr for MTSO outsourced to - I use to think I never wanted to have to work outside the home again, but boy was I pleasantly surprised and truly blessed.

I also will get annual raises now so I wont have to stay at $13 an hour forever, my pay will increase yearly even if it is only by 5 to 10 cents, it's well worth it.

If your school does not offer it anymore - that ought to tell you something.

[ In Reply To ..]
Start exploring your options, set goals for what you wanna do and where you wanna be in 2 to 5 years. It is not likely that MT as you know it will be around in 30 years to retire from.

If you can, go back into - CNMT wifey

[ In Reply To ..]
x-ray technology, because even a part-time x-ray tech can make more than a full-time MT in many cases. My husband is a CNMT and used to be an x-ray tech, made more in a bad year than I made in a good year.

Thanks for all of you above who posted...s/m - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you all for your advice. Been thinking about why I got into MT in the first place. It started out in a chiro office 10 years ago with typing daily SOAP notes. Put in the tape, listened and typed, saved the report under their name in Word. Easy. Just print off if needed. Sooooo, I thought MT would be "easy". (I know, laugh at me then). So I go thru the MT program, learned it was not so easy, left a great job to SAH, realized MT sucks, tried everything to get out. Worked another temp job just to make it. Switched to another MTSO for the pay, benefits, etc and was generally happy. Still with them. Plus didn't want to waste my education.

Well, my initial "plan" was to be a SAHM and still work at home and make money and have a career and be home with my kids and no daycare, etc. Well fast forward 5 years, still no kids (loooong story) so basically I have nothing keeping me at home besides my dog (but not so hard to have a neighbor let her out). I've been trying to get into my local hospital and apply 1-2 times a year but still nothing. Some days I'm fine with MT and other days I'm afraid of getting fired for yet another returned report. Not to mention all the other stuff that goes along with it. Honestly, I'm bored! Editing is booooooring! Plus I'm the type of person who needs micromanagement to make sure I'm doing my job. Seriously, I edit a report or two, then do something else. I get my time in and line count in and anything over min is a bonus for me, but I'm just not in it. I like not having to drive in the snow but I miss face-to-face contact with patients and having someone to eat lunch with. I feel I never get a day off. Anyone else bored to tears?

BTW, going back to school is not an option. Can't afford it, would have to go down to PT so half my income with an added expense of school wouldn't work. Can't get a loan, grant, or assistance b/c I "make too much." Plus, my DH was so supportive in my education that it's his turn to pursue his goals. I did look into it though thru my local tech college and don't have the $8000 to go back for rad tech. :-(

So I guess until I get an interview somewhere else or get fired, I'm stuck in MT b/c at least it's a paycheck. Anything is better than $0.

Thanks again!

I left the "A" in WI earlierl this year and - Not looking back

[ In Reply To ..]
am definitely not planning to return to MT. Only possible scenario would be if my health failed suddenly and I had to do a "sitting" at home job again. It is one of the best of the rest, but for the last several years has steadily declined, IMHO, until it was no longer a viable option for me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I have been an MT for 27 years. It was a career that - Not me

[ In Reply To ..]
found me, as I knew nothing about it until a job landed in my lap. It was a good job for a lot of years, but the last 2 years at least have been not so good. Accounts went to VR, went to India. We went to M*Modal, which was horrendous and an account that was probably 90% very difficult ESL and incredibly picky.

I was laid off from that job and lost a PT IC job when account went to Nuance. I have not missed it a single day. I can't believe how bad things are now compared to when I started.

Now I an unemployed and going back to school. I'm terrified because I'm slowly using up my savings and don't qualify for any aid for college. I have looked into doing MT part-time, but the only job offers I have are from Nuance, M*Modal, and Inscribe.

I may one do MT again for a local account, but otherwise I'm done. I feel so bad for the new MTs who have bought into the hype of $40,000/year, work when you want, etc.

Similar Messages:

To Those Leaving The MT Field
Mar 01, 2010

How long do you think MT'ing will be around?   I'm going back to school to become a social worker, something i've always wanted to do, and need the income while i'm in school.  In fact, today was my first day.  Its an online course and it will take some adjusting, but I feel its time.  I'm following a dream, MT'ing was supposed to be temporary but it is such a cushy job, who would want to leave it?   I think the problem is, there ...

For MTs Leaving The Transcription Field, Curious Question . . .
Jan 04, 2010

Where are you going?  Are you staying in the medical field or something different?  Are you leaving home to go back to the office?  I am thinking about getting my RHIT certification to "change things up" and just want to know what other MTs are doing when they leave this business.  TIA ...

I Regret Becoming An MT
Oct 17, 2011

I know you all feel my pain, but I just need to vent.  I wish I could go back in time.  Nine years ago I made a bad choice.  I was either going to go to school to become a nurse or accept apply for a position as an MT at a local clinic where I live.  I decided to apply for the MT position and I got it.  Four years ago, they outsourced my job to a national company who I decided to work for.  Fast forward to today, and I am broke.  I had to sell my house in a sho ...

Looking Back With No Regret
Feb 19, 2014

I visit this site occassionally to see where the industry is going and I just want to let those who are thinking about leaving MT to just do it. It has been 1-1/2 years now since I left MT.  At 37 I became a state tested nursing assistant and still have no regrets.  I do think back of the good ole MT days and start to miss the profession I loved for 13 years, but then I remember the headache and frustration of trying to meet line counts, terrible dictators, VR corr ...

Do You Ever Regret Volunteering For Overtime
Jan 13, 2012

Do you ever regret volunteering for overtime it always seems to backfire.  Next they will say the volume of dictation has gone down and no work available.  ...

Medical Coding - Do Any Of You Regret Becoming A Coder?
Dec 27, 2011

Do any of you regret becoming a coder? ...

QC Leaving?? Leaving More Work For MTs?
Jun 14, 2015

Sorry QC was put on the grid and suffering losses (like we have), but from my point of view the more of them leave, the more work left for us.  Isn't that horrible we are reduced to feeling that way about our co-workers??? Some QC say they are not allowed to do MT unless the account is behind, some say they are allowed when they run out of work.   From the length of time we have been suffering from OOW I have to believe they can and do jump in on our work when out of QC ...

MT Field
Oct 27, 2009

Don't you wonder why when you were in school you were told about how many jobs there were out there, how your income was endless and depended on how much work you wanted to do? I do have a job, not one that I can live off of, I earn about $200 every other week, but still, at least I have a job. I look at the job board and see how many people have viewed each job and wonder...at least it is just not me, where is the work? I wish that when I was researching school and such that they woul ...

New To Field Need HELP
Dec 26, 2009

I am in need of any help I can get.....I  was trained as a medical transcriptionist in the late 80's and transcribed for approx 2 years.  I  am now trying to get back into the field and needless to say my training from back then is not what employers today want.   SO my situation involves some major confusion.  Here goes,  1.  Schools-----OH MY GOD all of them claim to be the best, all claim that they have what you need, etc.....I am looking for some ...

This MT Field Is A Zoo.
Jan 24, 2012

Been out there a long time.  People are either cut-throat, manipulative and shmooze, or your best friend to your face, yet clickish and cruel.   (and I SO missed high school) Since when is all of that necessary?  Want something?  ASK ME DIRECT and if I cannot help you - STOP THERE.   Something I said in confidence rub you wrong?  TALK TO ME ABOUT IT.  ESPECIALLY WHEN I SENSE IT AND FLAT OUT ASK.  I'm so tired of the games p ...

F11 Key, Next Field
Feb 18, 2012

Years I ago I was able to assign {} to the F11 key and when I hit the F11 key in would jump to the next field in my document which was indicated by a {}.  I had all my docs set up this way and never had a problem until about six months ago.  Does anyone know how to do this.  It was a huge time saver especially in docs that are repetitive.  thanks for any help. ...

Has Anyone Else Gotten Out Of The Field Because
Jul 29, 2013

Field
Jun 23, 2014

i am considering a career as a medical transcriptionist and would like to contact someone in the fiield. Is this a good field.  Are jobs available.   What can I epect to earn? ...

Is MT A Dying Field??
Oct 26, 2009

is MT a dying field?? i hear voice recogintion will make mts obsolete plus companies are outsourcing work to India. ...

Learning A New Field
Mar 03, 2010

What would be the best way to get into another field? I have been doing neurology now for about 6 years and I am very interested in getting into something else, and really this is the only field I know because I havent had practice with anything else.  Im just getting kind of bored with the neurology lingo.  If I were to apply for a job that is hiring in a different field, would they consider me a "newby"? Has anyone ever been hired for a field they have no ex ...

How Many Of You Really Left The Field
Mar 03, 2010

I'm just curious is all.  I've been reading for months a lot of posts of people who are unhappy, their going to leave, telll their bosses off, they deserve more, etc, etc.  It's literally been going on months.  I have a job I like, it pays lower than all the people here say they get paid, but I like it.  There are times we run out of work, but I make due (and I'm a one income family, so is distressing sometimes), but  I like my doctors and my supervis ...

What Attracted You To The MT Field?
Mar 07, 2010

I didn't know what I wanted to do.  I was very independent and a home body.  I'm also very disciplined and prefer to work alone.  When I made more than my friends with degrees, I stayed...I feel like a criminal for how much I got paid for how little I do.  Easy money, ability to stay home, no managers lurking over shoulder.  We are the last man on the totem pole here in the medical "profession" and we are getting cut out.  It was too good to last forever. ...

You Know The MT Field Is Bad When Even The Fly-by-night...
Mar 26, 2010

You know the MT field is bad when even the fly-by-night "work-at-home" make $20 an hour companies don't even advertise for MT anymore.  My husband has been job hunting and we've been checking the online job search engines daily.  I haven't seen one single ad like we used to see on the matchbook covers.  Now they have a different scheme.  It's all work at home in call centers and make $20 an hour.      ...

Question Regarding Our Field (sm)
Jun 16, 2010

Does anybody know the particulars of the legislation that was passed back in the 1950s (I think) that really started our field by making it a law that documentation of health care had to be typewritten? ...

I Just Have To Say This About This Field Of Work
Oct 15, 2010

I am going to be anonny as I do not want people to know who I am and call me lazy or whatever they decide to call me.  I lost a job not long ago, found another one for peanuts, but am going to turn them down as I can get more unemployment.  Plus with unemployment, I know how much I can count on each week.  It is steady.  I know it will not last forever, but....  I am just tired of the stress and worry of is there going to be any work.  At least now I know how much I ...

What Happened To Our Field?
Mar 23, 2011

Why can't it just go back to the way it was? Those of us who have been transcribing for 20+ years are kind of hurting now, or anyway I am. I used to have a service, had no middle men, no corporate people to support. This was back in the 80's, and the only limitations I had were demographics. If I took work too far away, I had to have more and more delivery people, but at that time, there were only a hand full of transcriptionists.  Those were the days of "a line is a line", "pica ...

My Observation About This Field...
Apr 26, 2011

I have been a working MT (IC status) for 5 years now.  I am finally making pretty good money, but I have always worked around kids and had to take the first few years slowly.  I file jointly with my husband and even had him get more deductions taken out of his checks.  This year, after deductions, I was able to get an 1800.00 refund.  I consider this good considering I didn't pay anything all year (quarterly).  Here is my observation...it seems the the MT field is a ...

Another Dying Field...
Mar 28, 2012

I hope you'll watch this video about photojournalists.  It's very interesting all on its own, but particularly how the major news agencies are refusing to pay for professional quality and using free amateur photos instead. In particular, I would like you to observe what the expert Ed Greenberg says about how photojournalists are viewed by the news agencies - as "passive and childlike".  People who are too timid to protest the way they are being treated.  People ...

Do You Know Anyone In Healthcare Field Other Than MTs Whose
Jul 16, 2012

Unit clerks, physical therapy aides, central service techs, radiology techs, housekeeping...anyone but us? And the main difference is - we work at home alone, disorganized and unable to do anything for ourselves.  They know this, and they exploit it.   ...

12-wattle Field
Nov 21, 2012

Does this sound family to anyone at all familiar with oncology?  Thanks to all who help! ...

When Looking For A Non-MT Job In Medical Field
Dec 29, 2012

Do you use the title of MLS instead of MT? Is that the more appropriate title we have now according to AHDI? Do recruiters or office personnel know what an MLS is or what we do? Medical language specialist certainly sounds more professional to me, a specialist at something, but I wonder if interviewers are going to ask me what an MLS does and I have to explain. Maybe I should just stick with MT. What do you put on your resume? Thanks. ...

Frustrated With This Field
Mar 25, 2013

After reading everyone's posts about how these companies are always running out of work, but always hiring, it's very discouraging to even apply for a position.  I'm currently PRN with a clinic that is suppose to be going EMR sometime this year and I've been out of work for the last 5 days.  No work = No pay!!!  I got on here to see what everyone was saying about some of the companies out there I could apply with for part-time work and it's just so discour ...

ASR Just Keeps Getting More And More Out In Left Field
Apr 26, 2013

dictated:  experiencing ASR interpretation:  extirpated dancing in her  I  had to look up extirpated!!!!!!  ...

Re-entering Field
Feb 19, 2015

I would like to re-enter medical transcription field after 4 years of retirement. Any suggestions on how and what to do to re-enter.  Is there a short review course that could be helpful? ...

Another Reason To Leave MT Field.
Aug 03, 2010

In our speech machines in DocQmanage Enterprise Platform, we can either go to  member longin or "About DocQment Enterprise Platform". In DocQment Enterprise Platform  it actually states "Solutions include interactive speech recognition for clinician SELF-EDITING" and shows a picture of 2 doctors looking at a computer screen editing.  Then go to upper right and open up Duke Primary Care and the case study.    Duke Primary Care improves their process with SpeechQ. Rea ...