A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I regret becoming an MT - sm

Posted: Oct 17, 2011

I know you all feel my pain, but I just need to vent.  I wish I could go back in time.  Nine years ago I made a bad choice.  I was either going to go to school to become a nurse or accept apply for a position as an MT at a local clinic where I live.  I decided to apply for the MT position and I got it.  Four years ago, they outsourced my job to a national company who I decided to work for.  Fast forward to today, and I am broke.  I had to sell my house in a short sale.  I drive an old car that's about to die.  I am divorced and a single mom.  I am 34 and had to move back in with my parents.  My daughter wants to be Strawberry Shortcake for Halloween, but I can't afford the costume so will end up making it and it will look like crap and she will hate it.  I have no money saved for my daughter's education.  I have nothing.  I wish I would have become a nurse.  I could have become an RN, then a BSN, then my opportunities would have been endless.  But, here I sit in my tiny little office 7 days a week.  I just started my shift an hour ago.  I have edited 2 reports in an hour.  I've made $3.10 in an hour.  Now I sit and wait for work to come in.  I live in a small town, not many jobs here.  I feel like I am slowly dying.  This is so depressing.  Where is that time machine when you need it!

So sorry. I feel the same way. I wish I had taken a different - path

[ In Reply To ..]

I never regretted it for a minute, UNTIL I left my - onsite job and joined an MTSO. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's been all downhill ever since. Now I regret not taking the extra time 30 years ago to become a court reporter, instead of choosing what at the time was the easier and quicker path.

Foolhardy me.

Regret - Fussy

[ In Reply To ..]
That's funny. I did the same exact thing 20 years ago. I didn't regret it until this year. I had it good working for a group of doctors as an IC. That all changed when I got notice a couple of months ago that the hospital that the doctors joined is no longer going to allow them to keep me. We had a great thing going for 15 plus years. In return for their great transcribing, I correct all their errors and add all the little snippets that insurance demands that the docs don't dictate. The hospital is going to pay much more now and the transcriptionists aren't going to know what the doctors like or to add the things that insurance requires. I am in a dilemma. Try to find a job online and make chicken feed or change careers. Terribly depressing to have to give up something I really enjoy.

The thing that really spooks me about these HMO - takeovers is the docs lose a lot - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
of their ability to make their own decisions about patient care, or how they want to work. They're being told to dumb-down their work just as much as we are.

So much for the Hippocratic oath! I guess they can be bought, just like everyone else.

It is time for Me to get out - Training for court reporting

[ In Reply To ..]
Things have been going downhill now for the last several years and the writing on the wall is obvious. I have seen a $30,000+ decrease in my pay and everything I have tried, including more accounts and a second company, has not made much difference. All I know is transcription. But, thank God I was blessed with an opportunity and I will become a court reporter. I have sat in depositions and there is no way that voice recognition will be the next thing with court reporting. VR cannot determine sotto voice or people entering/exiting the deposition, talk overs, or even note which speaker is speaking at any particular time.

I am thankful for the opportunity that I have been given to make a career change. I also could be facing losing my home and my car and I have children to take care of as well. It can be depressing. We have worked hard to master our skill, only to have our pay cut drastically for the hard work we do. I do not like VR, have tried on several occasions, and just cannot make decent money with VR. I am happy for those that are making good money with VR, but it is not for me. Therefore, it is time for me to get out of MT. Best of luck to you all that stick it out. I pray that things will get better. IMHO, greed has been and will be the downfall of MT.

WHEN THE WORK IS LOW AND YOU ARE WAITING AROUND... - THREEDOGS

[ In Reply To ..]
Instead of waiting around for no work or low work gaps in MT work, fill it in with data entry. You can do them whenever you want.

There is still hope for tomorrow. (sm) - roz

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't look at it as wasted time, but go on to nursing school. Think of all the knowledge you have that can be applied to nursing. During my Dad's final days at home his hospice nurse was about your age when she was in your situation and had 2 little boys. She went on welfare while going to nursing school. She is now a hospice nurse and makes a decent living for her boys and loves what she does. Go for it!

Are you actively looking for another MT job? - no sitting and waiting

[ In Reply To ..]
You didn't say, so I'm asking and I'm not being judgmental or snarky. Are you actively looking for another MT job? What are you doing to change your situation? I feel bad for you, I really do. I made a bad job choice last year and I came close to losing my house. BUT there are always things that can be done. Don't just sit and wait for work to come in. If you haven't already, dust off your resume and apply for every job that is listed everywhere you look. Look at the job board here and look at MTjobs.com. Yes, they're all the same industry, but not all MTSOs are the same. There are an awful lot of people who are making a decent living with Transcend, Keystrokes, Nuance, etc, or the smaller mid size companies. You have to find the one that is right for you.

Do not let yourself get so down that you get into the mind set of a victim. You're not a victim. You're a smart, powerful woman who can do this, you just have to convince yourself of that. Look into grants and look into going back to nursing school. You're only 34 and you're never too old to do something else that you want to do with your life.

Stuck - pugsrpeopletoo

[ In Reply To ..]
Aww, when I read your post, I felt very sad, but throughout the whole thing I kept thinking, she's only 34!!! I really think you could qualify for a grant to go back to school, might even receive extra money to live on. If not that, what about a student loan? The interest rates are so low right now. Seriously, being a single mom trying to expand her skill set and with this administration, you might want to check that out. It's a miserable feeling to think one is stuck.

you are still so young! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and you have your parents' help it sounds like. Get back to school now. You will still be young when you finish. There must be college financing options galore for someone in your situation. Look at this as an opportunity to do what you really want. You can present a great example for your daughter.

I am the OP and want to thank you all for your responses! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks everyone for your responses. And you're right, I guess I am still "young" at 34! I felt like I was too old to go back to school, but after reading these posts I realize I am not. Sometimes we just need a little encouragement. I have decided to not have a pity party and do something with my life. I called my local community college this afternoon and was told that I qualify for a Pell grant and another grant that is through my state. More than enough to pay for nursing school. So, I am going to enroll for classes starting in January. Only a year and a half to finish as I have some previous college experience. I guess it's never too late to start over. Thanks all!

Good for you. Sounds like a great way - to start 2012 :) nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

You go girl!!! - no sitting and waiting

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations on qualifying for the grants. That's huge. You will not regret taking action. Even action that turns out not to be something that you like after all is better than inertia.

I used to work with a 78 year old man in a retail environment and he was working on his bachelor's degree. You are NEVER too old to continue learning and enriching your mind.

Congratulations and best of luck to you.

Regret - Lil

[ In Reply To ..]
Your never too old to return to school. I went back at 50 to become an MT. That was 14 years ago and actively worked as an MT till retiring last year. MT was good to me, but I could see the writing on the wall years ago. Probably got out just in time.

My daughter went back to school for nursing at the age of 39. She had 4 children at home, a full-time job, house to care for, a husband and was on the local EMS service. It took her 5 years to get thru. Today she is an licensed RN. It can be done. No one said it would be easy. Good Luck to you.

Excellent! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck and God bless you! (And at 34, you ARE young--no quotes necessary :)

regretting becoming an MT?? - typinggal2000

[ In Reply To ..]
Hmmm...perhaps no one was kind enough to explain to you that there are tons of jobs out there - just have to look...there are jobs transcribing voice mail messages (look at Quicktate or iDictate) - who says you have to do medical typing - these 2 don't pay a heck of a lot but it's money that could put food on your table...and you're always busy. I've been in this for 17+ years (this after having had a high-profile career) and I love the versatility and flexibility I have. So, grab that positive attitude, flex those fingers, and think outside the box. Bet you'll find something that is just the ticket for you if you look at it with a new set of eyes...not all companies are dead-end jobs, you just have to search a bit. Best of luck to you!! You can do this, you know...thanks for the venting!

I regret becoming an MT - threedogs

[ In Reply To ..]

I feel stupid that didn't quit MT earlier. I have found a lot of good data entry jobs on line. There are tons of them. Sign up for work-at-home jobs in your area or anywhere else. However, check them all out with Scambusters and other reliable sites. I will only do MT now as an IC part time because I like using all my MT stuff, even though the money stinks. Sign up for data entry jobs boards in your area. I get tons of openings for all kinds of jobs in my area every day. Just remember to be safe! Do not sign up for any job that asks you for money to sign up. You should never have to pay to get a job. Also check them out with the Better Business Bureau. A lot of them use fake BBB signs on their sites, and sometimes the jobs boards give you questionable leads. Good luck!

I swear your post could have been written by me - Livewire

[ In Reply To ..]
except I am still married and have 5 kids to support doing this miserable job. I too am facing short sale vs. foreclosure, not to mention our credit being in the toilet. I hate, hate, hate MT. Want so badly to get out and have tried for nearly 2 years with no luck. I live in a very rural area as well and not many options. The only positive thing MT has done for me is allowing me to be at home with my kids which in my opinion is the most important thing. They are all doing well, involved in sports, good grades, etc. so obviously I've done something right and I try to focus on that but it is still hard....coulda, shoulda, woulda...I really do feel for you. Will your parents help you out if you go back to school? Sounds like your best option if they are willing to help you. Good luck :)

I regret becoming an MT - Pauline

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand how you feel. I have 32 years exp. You are still young. It is never to late to fulfill your dream. Why not go for it. I am sure there might be some grants that you would not have to pay back out there, but you will never know unless you check into it. Go for it. Also may be your parents could watch daughter for you while you are in school. If they were like my parents, where there is a will, there is a way. Please check into it. My daughter-in-law started out as a CNA and now she is working towards her RN degree working at a children's hospital and hopefully she will graduate in May. She also works Pt and goes to school as her parents have not helped her too much at all and it is all coming together. Just have the faith it would work out. Best of luck. I also wanted to become a nurse but I never reached out and now it is time for me to retire. That is one regret that I have and that is why I say just try.

Regrets? What? - llm

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you kidding me? Most of you had years of great employment as an MT, there are tons of American's out there that dedicated themselves to a job that no longer exits. Reinvent yourself. I am so happy to have become an MT, pay stinks, yes but you work from home. The flex helps out a ton and you can do a lot with your experience. Stop complaining, let a new MT have your job and go work in a doctors office! BTW no nurses are getting hired right now, the market is saturated. Lots of people who just completed 4 year degrees are in worse situations then you!

Similar Messages:

Looking Back With No Regret
Feb 19, 2014

I visit this site occassionally to see where the industry is going and I just want to let those who are thinking about leaving MT to just do it. It has been 1-1/2 years now since I left MT.  At 37 I became a state tested nursing assistant and still have no regrets.  I do think back of the good ole MT days and start to miss the profession I loved for 13 years, but then I remember the headache and frustration of trying to meet line counts, terrible dictators, VR corr ...

Do You Ever Regret Volunteering For Overtime
Jan 13, 2012

Do you ever regret volunteering for overtime it always seems to backfire.  Next they will say the volume of dictation has gone down and no work available.  ...

Anyone Ever Regret Leaving MT Field?
Jul 31, 2013

To any former MT who has left the field: Have you ever regretted it and wished to come back or did come back? I've been an MT only 5 years and I feel stuck in which career path to go down. Done the whole pros and cons list of WAH versus outside work. I'm thinking that MT is not something I will be able to do until retirement 30 years from now. IDK if it's just a bad day/week for me or if I'm fickle and jump from job to job (longest job at one place was 4 years non MT). Lik ...

Medical Coding - Do Any Of You Regret Becoming A Coder?
Dec 27, 2011

Do any of you regret becoming a coder? ...