A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

paresthesias or paresthesiae? - wondering

Posted: Apr 05, 2010

Good morning.  I have a doctor who consistently says paresthesiae and spells it this way when making corrections.  The word paresthesia is in Stedman's but not paresthesiae.  However, I do see it spelled this way on certain web sites, but most of the dictionaries I look at use paresthesias for the plural form.  Can someone help me settle this one way or the other?  I have always used paresthesias as the plural form but maybe I have been wrong, especially since the doctor so consistently says paresthesaie.  Thanks for the help.

I had never heard it dictated that way, but there are many reputable sources that verify it. See be - MTtoday

[ In Reply To ..]
to pluralize a word (like vertebra) drop the a and add ae.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/medical/paresthesiae.htm

I have never heard it or seen it that way - but I would type it that way since...

[ In Reply To ..]
... he consistently uses this word, spells this word, and corrects this word to this odd spelling.

There is nothing to settle. This is how he wants it - it is not your place to "fix" it/him.

Paresthesias or paresthesiae? - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks MTtoday!

Similar Messages:

ROS: Denies Any *s/l Supple* Paresthesias. NM, TIA
Oct 10, 2011

Male Patient Who Had A Stroke, Has Paresthesias (sm)
Jul 02, 2014

and doc clearly says he suffers from PCOS. Is this an abbreviation for something other than polycystic ovary syndrome that I don't know about??? Thanks so much if you can help me here! ...

S/l "sidle Paresthesias"
Oct 25, 2009

x ...