A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pus-like exudate - newbie

Posted: Aug 18, 2010

Okay gals, when doctor dictates pussy exudate (we're talking pus here ladies), do you change that to pus-like exudate, transcribe as is, or change to purulence exudate? I am new here, but it did give me a giggle, and I can't see putting that in the report as is. Any feedback would be appreciated. TIA!!!

it is a word, regardless of how it is used for slang,I would type as stated - poi

[ In Reply To ..]
pussy pus·sy (pÅ­s'Ä“)
adj. pus··si·er , pus··si·est
Containing or resembling pus.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary

Haaaahahaha! - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the laugh! Even worse... I tried Googling "pusy" to see if it was actually a word... you don't wanna know what kind of sites came up. Dictionary.com does say one definition for pussy is pus-like or containing pus. Even so, I would definitely change it to pus-like. Purulent exudate would work too, but IDK how far you're allowed to stray from verbatim on your account. : )

Thanks guys - newbie

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks guys for your comments. I changed it to pus-like the last time he dictated this. Maybe I will do that again. I am sorry, I do realize it is a real word regardless of its slang meaning. I just feel that it looks better as pus-like due to its slang meaning. Thanks for your help, and I am glad I could give you a laugh today! We all need those!

I believe that is changing what the doctor intended - poi

[ In Reply To ..]
That would be like changing tumor to tumor-like. Is it or isn't it? I feel he is stating it is pus, not "like pus", so if you feel you should change it, you should modify it another way, maybe exudate of pus.
Thank you! Please see comment - newbie
[ In Reply To ..]
I never even thought to change it that way, but as I stated in my last comment down below, I did come to my senses (thanks to you), and transcribed it as dictated. I must say, I'm a little bummed out. I feel like I grew up a little more today. Seriously though, thank you once again.
Your welcome, I think our posts "crossed in the mail" - poi
[ In Reply To ..]
I faced the same problem as I have a doctor who uses it that way, and I just figured he knew the slang and chose to use the term anyway, so it wasn't my place to change his intention.

That is the beauty of this board, you can seek advise and then take it or leave it, but either way learn something new.

the doctor didn't say it was "pus-like" - poi

[ In Reply To ..]
he said is was pussy, used as an adj, not a noun.

You are correct! - newbie

[ In Reply To ..]
You would be correct! I guess my professionalism took over me, because right before I handed in the report, I changed it back to pussy exudate. Regardless of how it looks, or how it is used as slang, it is what was said and transcribed! Thank you for bringing me back to my senses.

Kind of like...sm - GT

[ In Reply To ..]
one of my doctors who constantly says...The patient "peters out" very easily. Don't know if I should capitalize it because it's a name or not... ;)

peters is not a name in that context. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

That is not a certainty...sm - GT

[ In Reply To ..]
because the term originally is related to the California Gold Rush and the gold "petering" out, yet no one is really quite sure where the term came from. Some think it relates to St. Peter when his faith dwindled before Jesus's crucifixion when he denied him but it is still all just speculation so it is uncertain as to whether it should be capitalized or not. :)
peter is a verb in this context - with certainty
[ In Reply To ..]
its etymology notwithstanding, to peter out does not invoke a proper name.
I understand, it's a verb...sm - GT
[ In Reply To ..]
in this context. Some clients may prefer it to be capitalized, however, as it is also a person's name. There is some disagreement about whether the term "Steri-Strips" in the example of "Patient was steri-stripped" should be capitalized because this is a brand name. It may be considered a verb but we have one client who insists we capitalize it any way. Sometimes you have to please the client, like it or not.
if the client requires it, then by all means... - cap it (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
However, it does not require capitalization in any way :)
I usually don't capitalize it. :) - GT
[ In Reply To ..]
`

how about "don we now our gay apparel" - what about mark :) see message

[ In Reply To ..]
If you worked for a lawyer, would you feel compelled to capitalize sue?

Peter, don, sue and mark are simply words. No need for the cap :)

The meaning of petered out has...sm - GT

[ In Reply To ..]
an entirely different origin and is used in an entirely different context than those terms. ;)
That's all for now -- gotta go to the John - see message ; )
[ In Reply To ..]
The origin of the word has no bearing here, nor does its context differ from the other terms: They are all simply verbs in a sentence.
What started as merely...sm - GT
[ In Reply To ..]
a subtle joke turned into a debate as do so many posts on this board. I gotta go eat. It matters naught to me. :)
I wonder if BOS would consider peter slang if not capped? LOL - poi
[ In Reply To ..]
x

See BOS II page 340... - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

BOS 3 also states the same thing. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Quote - "Leave blank and flag obscenities, derogatory or inflammatory remarks, and double entendres (words or word combinations, symbols, and abbreviations that have varying, and usually inappropriate, meanings) except when these are purposefully dictated by the author as part of a direct quote."

OMG! BOS needs to grow up! - poi

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so glad my typing what a doctor dictates and signs his name to is not governed by a book of style. Is BOS next going to exclude words like "cool", "Rad" "Bad"(because it could be mean good), "nasty", and on and on??. This is a medical report, not a frat party story. A pussy wound is a pussy wound...sheesh...

If the patient is allergic to pussy willows are we to type pus-like willows? - shocked

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I would transcribe pus-y.............nm. - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Jello-O Exudate??
Oct 19, 2013

Under PE section for a 3 y/o: The conjunctivas are clear. The nose has minimal dry Jell-O exudate. s/l Jello-O ...

S/l Subernis? Supernous Exudate
Jul 26, 2011

BKA stump is oozing, sounds like subernous exudate, supernous ???? ...