A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Jello-O exudate?? - ?

Posted: Oct 19, 2013

Under PE section for a 3 y/o: The conjunctivas are clear. The nose has minimal dry Jell-O exudate. s/l Jello-O

how about YELLOW - think logically

[ In Reply To ..]
Nm

THAT makes sense! Dang ESLs!! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

don't blame the ESLs for this - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Like womiting means vomiting - HA

[ In Reply To ..]
n

Nuclear wessels - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Chekov dictating aboard the USS Enterprise
Pardon me everyone... - ESL
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe I was just overtired and whatever but I listened numerous times and heard Jell-O and I never heard of that, I thought maybe it was describing a kid's green crusty nose or something, like slang. (I don't have a kid so I don't know that stuff). I changed it to yellow. But don't blame the ESL's, are you kidding or serious? I thought this was the word help page not don't blame the doctor page! Unless you're kidding, then yeah I get it. I'm still NOT awake yet.
We joking amongst ourselves. - HA
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I guess most here are joking, except for "don't blame the ESLs." - sm
[ In Reply To ..]

If you've never heard yellow pronounced "jello" before, I'm sure it can totally throw you.  Like learning the differences between L and R transpositions for Chinese and Japanese dictators (think Mulan = Chinese, so L is pronounceable but R becomes L, and Hiroshima = Japanese, so R is pronounceable but L becomes R ... very basically speaking). 

And mentally changing the syllable being accented can sometimes help, for Middle Eastern and African ESLs especially.  I spent way too long once trying to figure out an allergy that sounded like "fee-oh-REEN-al" (Fiorinal, arrgh). 

I haven't had a lot of experience with Spanish-speaking (I'm guessing in this case?) dictators myself, but you've just learned one thing about them, haven't you?  A few other tendencies you might notice:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101018165430AAsbtjC

http://www.speakingyourbest.com/accentguides/spanishaccent.html

The absolute worst for me are the Eastern European ones (those "nuclear wessels" types mentioned above).  It's like I have a mental block that I can barely overcome in terms of reinterpretating a lot of what they're doing to English (beyond the obvious V = W), so I can certainly feel your pain. 

In my experience, the Asian docs are difficult (sm) - MT2
[ In Reply To ..]
but more, not all, speak slowly and actually spell some words. I have trouble with Eastern Europe too. I had a French Canadian doctor with a very heavy accent who mixed up #2 and #3. She was an OB/GYN, so when she was 2 vessel cord I always left a blank.
do not type while still asleep - said the Terminator
[ In Reply To ..]
It is a good habit to skip something you are drawing a blank on and come back to it after a little power nap to help your brain plug into what you are listening to.

My most favorite ESL's are Middle Eastern (Jordanian, etc.), love the Eastern Bloc countries (Russia, etc.), and least favorites are Spanish in origin (had a Cuban doctor in a rural southern hospital trying to say the patient was injured through her teeny shoes - tennis shoes - oy vey!)

Remember, it is not just the English as Second Language speakers that sometimes have trouble conveying their thoughts - those wascly wabbits!
Even just 5-10 minutes away and then coming back can sometimes - break the mental barrier.
[ In Reply To ..]
good advice, "Terminator" poster.
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, so the Asian docs have rarely - been a problem for me.
[ In Reply To ..]

That's a big factor too, just plain and simple exposure.  I probably could do Spanish-speaking dictators fairly well too, for the same reason (having grown up in California), though probably not quite as easily as Asian ones, but I've just never much had the opportunity to find out.  I'd trade a heavily accented Russian or Polish dictator for an Asian one any day. 

And for what it's worth, in case anybody thinks my agreeing with the OP that some ESLs can be very difficult and frustrating makes me xenophobic, that's not at all the case, and I happen to know about and agree with the studies that show improved patient outcomes from IMGs (international medical graduates) compared to native-born graduates. I still think that the IMGs' outcomes and our jobs could be improved even more by higher English language requirements, though, frankly. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/health/12chen.html?_r=0

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2010/08/international-medical-graduates-patient-outcomes.html

Thanks for the good advice/laughs all. - ESL

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe I was just overly sensitive after I read that "don't blame the ESL" post but I read it to mean it was my fault and not the Spanish ESL for pronouncing Y like J. Glad to know I'm not the only one who struggles with ESL sometimes. Thanks again for all the tips. Some of your examples made me laugh too. I'm wide awake now!

p.s. This particular dictator has said the word yellow before and it did not sound like Jell-O so IDK what he was thinking that day.

Similar Messages:

Pus-like Exudate
Aug 18, 2010

Okay gals, when doctor dictates pussy exudate (we're talking pus here ladies), do you change that to pus-like exudate, transcribe as is, or change to purulence exudate? I am new here, but it did give me a giggle, and I can't see putting that in the report as is. Any feedback would be appreciated. TIA!!! ...

S/l Subernis? Supernous Exudate
Jul 26, 2011

BKA stump is oozing, sounds like subernous exudate, supernous ???? ...

Pt On Chemo, List Of Meds S/l "jello Vent Or Gel Event"
May 16, 2011

1.       Prednisone 10 mg. 2.       Septra 160 mg twice daily on Monday and Tuesday. 3.       Oxycodone 5 mg as needed during chemotherapy. 4.       Omeprazole 20 mg while she is taking prednisone.   5.       "Gelivent"  nightly.  6.       Neupogen after chemotherapy. 7.    &nbs ...

Lower-extremity Wound Care-S/L "Jello-O" Cast
Dec 15, 2013

I can't seem to find this listed anywhere.  It sounds pretty clear...does anyone know the correct spelling or does the dictator actually mean "Jell-O"-?!  ...