A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Punctuate this please... - molluscum

Posted: Aug 22, 2010

Urinalysis:  Moderate for RBCs bacteria culture pending.

Moderate for RBCs. Bacteria culture pending. - see Reason below if interested.

[ In Reply To ..]
Learned something myself! Nitrites in urine mean possible presence of bacteria. And, I quote,
>>>Bacteria are common in urine specimens because of the abundant normal microbial flora of the vagina or external urethral meatus...
Diagnosis of bacteriuria in a case of suspected urinary tract infection requires culture.<<< So, bacteria would not be found on the same testing as RBCs.

That's easy (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Urinalysis: Moderate for RBCs, bacteria culture pending.

[ In Reply To ..]
What about:
Urinalysis: Moderate for RBCs, bacteria. Culture pending.

Reason being is that 'bacteria' culture is redundant.

That would be incorrect because (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Bacteria per se do NOT show up on a routine UA. WBCs show up which are an indicator of bacteria but only a culture can confirm bacteria.

Here's what shows up on a plain UA.

molluscum, you are correct... - ...RBCs, bacteria. Culture pending.

[ In Reply To ..]

I might be incorrect... - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
But I have heard many times in the past that a UA shows (2+, 1+) bacteria. The culture and sensitivity shows the exact kind of bacteria causing the infection. In this case, I would type:

Urinalysis moderate for RBCs, bacteria. Culture pending.

Listen carefully and make sure that the dictator is not saying "bacterial." If so, then I would type: Urinalysis moderate for RBCs. Bacterial culture pending.

A microscopic UA (versus chemical UA) will detect bacteria, the culture is required for type - so not totally incorrect

[ In Reply To ..]
x

[ In Reply To ..]
I just spoke with a tech in Microbiology, and she said an R&M would of course detect bacteria, and that is how it would be reported on the requisition. Then the culture would be done. Thks!!

Now that you mention it, it has been a long time since I have - seen bacteria 1+ or 2+ on UA. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

How Would You Punctuate
Aug 07, 2014

"1 to 2 year history" according to BOS? thanks in advance ...

How Would You Punctuate This Sentence?
Dec 28, 2009

Week #1 she had fatigue, muscle aches for which she used Advil, lightheadedness, and some depression.    Specifically the part about "muscles aches for which she used Advil."  I want to put another comma in there, but it doesn't look right to me. ...

How Do I Punctuate This Sentence?
Apr 21, 2010

Can someone please tell me how to correctly punctuate this sentence! Are the commas in the right spots or not? Thank you!!! There was a 2 cm, oozing, obviously infected crusty purulent lesion on the right forearm. ...

Doctors Telling Me Where To Punctuate
Mar 21, 2015

I just love to get dictators (not all ESL either) who can't put a proper English sentence together telling me where to use commas, semi-colons, etc.  85% of the time they're incorrect and I want to drive to the hospital and shout at them to TAKE AN ENGLISH CLASS ! ...

How To Punctuate The Underlined Part Of Sentance...see Message Pleez :)
Nov 29, 2010

The patient's past medical history, review of systems, social history (She lives alone.), and family history are unchanged since her prior admission.  ...