A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

5 ml of saline were/was? - mtele

Posted: Nov 11, 2010

I know this seems so elementary but what is the correct verb for sentences that give the quantity of substances like saline, water, etc in ml? For example, is it 5 ml of saline was injected or 5 ml of saline were injected? Thanks!

was is correct as the word saline is singular - orthogirl

[ In Reply To ..]
x

"were" is correct .. it refers to the mL, not the saline - and the mL is plural

[ In Reply To ..]
5 mL were ...
1 mL was ...

It does not matter "what" it was 5 mL of.

The 2nd response is correct because (sm) - OTE

[ In Reply To ..]
Subject verb agreement. "of saline" is a prepositional phrase and is additional information. If you take out the preposition, the sentence would read "5 mL were injected," which of course sounds better than "5 mL was injected." Make sense?

BOS - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought BOS says to use the singular when it comes to units of measure. Need to check on that, don't have it in front of me, but that was my training.

It is was. They are injecting saline (singular) and - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
the 5 mL describes the quantity of the saline. If he had just said 5 mL then it would be were as 5 mL is plural.

"were" is correct - the saline part of it does not matter

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know how to say this exactly correctly, but the was/were connects to the quantity, the mL, NOT to the saline.

Forget what BOS says. This is basic grammar that is not changed by some book of made up rules.

Per BOS regarding units of measure. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Units of measure are collective singular nouns and take singular verbs.

"After the lab report came back, 20 mEq of KCl was added."

Page 407 of BOS second edition.

Similar Messages:

S/l Saline Well
May 24, 2010

s/l saline well... She is refusing to let the nurses restart her _______ which is outdated. The current _______does not appear erythematous or infected. ...

A Saline S/l Well Was Started...
May 12, 2010

doc states "A saline s/l well was started. The pt was given 1 liter of bolus I.V. normal saline... Saline well?? ...

Nyturiastatic Saline??
Jun 15, 2010

I swear he is saying "nyturiastatic saline," but it's so garbled I can't make it out. For hip surgery... thanks in advance! ...

S/l Alcali Saline
Mar 26, 2011

In the medications, doctor lists what sounds like "alcalisaline"  at 125 an hour has anyone heard that? would he mean alkaline saline? I cannot find anything in the patients chart to referrence. This is for a patient with renal failure.   thank you! ...

Mycamine 100 Mg In 100 Normal Saline....
Nov 17, 2009

Mycamine 100 mg in 100 normal saline infused over 60 minutes daily.  My question is about the 100 normal saline.  I searched for this in quotes, and did not come up with anything.  Is 100 a percent?  Or do I just type it as I did above? ...

S/l March Saline Sutures???
Jun 10, 2010

Whatever they are, they are attaching a skin graft to the mandible.  Thanks! ...

Foley Catheter Balloon Was Filled With A 50:50 Mix Of S/l "contrite" And Saline. Prep For
Jun 30, 2010

:) ...