A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ASR and its cabbage - Speedy

Posted: Mar 10, 2010

For the first time, for me, in a report, the doctor actually mentions cabbage, as in the vegetable.  (the patient had digestive problems and said that he ate it the night before).  But, get this, ASR actually puts down CABG!  Something it never seems to do when it needs to be CABG.  I just don't get it. 

Ha! The wacky brains of ASR - up is down and down is up. - Not surprised at all.

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a dictator dictating at home with a barking dog in the background, and when the MD would have a silent pause, you could just hear the dog barking -- and the ASR put "Out, out, now, now" about 100 times on the page. Ha! I was cracking up because that is what the dog was probably saying!!!! HA!

Maybe they should market ASR as a dog translater instead. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

The program was probably written by an ex-QA person. - nm - Zircon

[ In Reply To ..]

ex-qa person...how rude! nm - norespect

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Not all QA are created equal zircon. - I always tried to help MTs.

[ In Reply To ..]
I would back up all my corrections with references for the MT. I also didn't go LOOKING for things just to mark. Punctuation was not marked at all unless it changed the meaning of the sentence. I also would leave encouraging notes for them, telling them to hang in there and thanks for the great job they were doing, that I understood because I was MT for a long long time. I even used to let them call me, when we had to send them letters directly with our contact information at the bottom -- until I got found out by management and got chewed out. I never ever had anything disputed by an MT. I felt like a mentor not an evil mad punishment giver.

And I was not the only QA who performed her job in this way -- I worked with many who were really great mentors.

Yes, there were some QA out there that were not suited to the position at all. There were many of us who felt that way, too. But the same can be said of MTs. There are some MTs that HORRIBLE, but I would not say that about all MTs.

Through the years as an MT I had some great QA people to help me, too. They influenced me in a big way.

I am sorry you had the bad experience with QA, but I personally would not have put you through that, so, yes, I take offense too, to this remark. Thanks.

Similar Messages:

After 4 Years, ASR Finally Got "cabbage" Right.
May 12, 2011

I have changed it at least half a million times to CABG, but it never "learns." I even have it in autocorrect so I just add the space to the end of "cabbage," and it changes it to CABG; however, I had a report where the patient had been eating cabbage.  ASR finally got it right.  Way to go ASR.  One time out of 500,000.  Woo-hoo.  ...