A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTs and VR, Surgeons and robots. Oh my. - SM

Posted: May 30, 2012

With technological advances in our field with voice recognition, transcriptionist pay got cut at least half of what we used to get paid, even though we still need the same education, skills, and experience to do the job.

So now they're developing these robots for surgeons.  Gee, I wonder if surgeon pay will be cut in half now with all these wonderful technological advances in THEIR field.

You can bet your ass it won't.

Edited: Link fixed (?)

I said the same thing when laparoscopy - al

[ In Reply To ..]
became the norm for surgeries.

Actually they will probably charge for the privilege of using a robot!! - countryMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Frosts my cookies, that's for sure. My many years of knowledge and expertise are much more important than some machine, not to mention the fact that a human brain cannot be replicated.

False analogy - the use of a robot

[ In Reply To ..]
during surgery requires more skill from the surgeon. The robot does not perform the surgery on its own. The surgeon uses the robot as a tool. The robot becomes an extension of his hands. This requires more skill and more training.

There are some valid arguments to be made with regard to MT pay and equity issues. Attemtping to equate the function of the MT with the function of an actual licensed practitioner of medicine is specious and counterproductive.

Rebuttal - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You can very easily replace the appropriate words from your own paragraph, and it's still absolutely 100% true.

"the use of VR during transcription requires more skill from the MT. The VR software does not perform the transcriptoin on its own. The MT uses the VR software as a tool. The VR software becomes an extension of his hands. This requires more skill and more training."

The analogy is still false - and the argument specious

[ In Reply To ..]
but it is obvious that you are wedded to your idea and no amount of fact will dissuade you, so I am not going to waste my time.
Yet.....you did. - lol nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Cool

Similar Messages:

Hand Surgeons
Sep 25, 2012

I have worked in orthopedics and there is a possible opportunity for a hand surgeon.  Where can I find references or just common terminology for surgical notes that focus on the hands.  I have stedman's references for surgery and orthopedics, but I was hoping there was some kind of guide for transcriptionist of hand surgeons.  I know there are so many references out there, but whenever I google I am getting such a broad spectrum and nothing that seems to really be w ...

UAW Could Not Stop Workers Being Replaced On Their Lines By Robots, Only Needed 10
Oct 16, 2014

Unions cannot change tax structures which encourage off-shoring. Wish they could. CEOs earn their big bonuses by reducing costs any way they can! Why wouldn't they hire cheaper labor since that is their very purpose? Especially in a company with no corporate ethic requiring otherwise. ...

I HATE OP NOTES. SURGEONS ARE VERY ANNOYING TO
Jan 26, 2010

LISTEN TO.  THEY RATTLE NINETY TO NOTHING THROUGH AN OPERATIVE REPORT.  JUST BECAUSE THEY SAY THE SAME THINGS EVERY TIME DOES NOT MEAN THE SAME PERSON ALWAYS GETS THAT TRANSCRIPTION AND AUTOMATICALLY KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE SAYING.  THEY NEED TO SLOW DOWN AND REALIZE THERE IS A REAL PERSON ON THE OTHER END OF THAT STUPID MACHINE THEY'RE TALKING INTO.  RUDE, RUDE, RUDE.  THAT'S ABSOLUTELY ALL YOU CAN SAY ABOUT THEM!!!!!!!!!! ...