A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do you develop "relationships" with your - online employers?

Posted: Aug 30, 2013

Just curious.  I see people on here saying how some supervisors "play favorites" and that is kind of odd to me, since they really don't "know" any of us and most haven't even laid eyes on us.  Every job I have been on, I barely communicate with my supervisors at all.  I just log in and type.  On a "real world" job I have always gotten to know my coworkers and such, knew their family, etc., but it seems so different with online employment.

Not long ago, my supervisor sent an email saying she would be off for the day that her mother had a medical issue.  I didn't think anything about it.  I mean, I don't want ANYONE to have a medical issue, but I just don't personally know this supervisor in a way that I would check up on her.  About a week later, the supervisor sent out an email saying how thankful she was for those MTs who sent her daily emails asking how her mother was and she wanted to give an update.  I mean, I don't feel like I'm a "cold" person by any means, but I wouldn't even think to check up on someone daily who I do not even know and have never even had a telephone conversation with.  

So, the question.......do you develop sincere relationships with your online employers or do you just see them more of an email address that responds to you?

I worked for a woman for 5 years - before we lost the account....

[ In Reply To ..]
about three years ago. We still talk. I really don't know the people I work for now.

I let them take the lead - SAM

[ In Reply To ..]
I try to remain as impersonal yet professional as possible unless my supervisor takes the lead to make it more personal. I do volunteer personal information if a situation regards having to take a day off for a family issue (significant other, child, parent, sibling needing my assistance with an appointment or something), or if I'm calling off sick to let them know why I'm too sick to work, etc.

I try to avoid divulging too much about my personal life or becoming too personally involved in their lives simply because, having been on both sides of the fence, I prefer to keep the boundaries between employer/employee distinct. If my supervisor chose to divulge something about a parent, as your supervisor did, I would likely respond saying I was sorry to hear this and hoped everything turned out okay. In all honesty, I doubt I would do a followup email inquiring about the mother's status because, quite frankly, I would assume it was none of my business.

As I said, I like keeping the impersonal boundaries between an employer/employee, and I feel your reaction was appropriate under the circumstances.

JMO and all...

Playing favorites - Gets tossed around a lot

[ In Reply To ..]
The old "playing favorites" conspiracy is just that, a conspiracy. I don't think they play favorites but I'm sure there are exceptions. As a general rule, we need someone to blame when things aren't going our way and the MTSO or "favorite" MT always gets the blame!

Similar Messages:

The Facade Is Already Starting To Develop Cracks. Not
Mar 14, 2014

to make changes to what we were initially told about the coding program.  Got email stating you dont get an hour and a half to take the test, you only get an hour.  Wonder if they are planning on raising the test score needed or the quality score they mentioned. Wonder if they will make changes to what some have been told will be training and apprentice pay?  Or will they increase the length of servitude from 2 years to 3? Already the changes are starting and not in favor of the ...

S/l "agrothroposis" Multiforme, 21 Y.o. Develop Delay Male
Sep 26, 2012

x ...