A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What are the "odds/chances" - Steph

Posted: Dec 10, 2010

I have been an MT for over 16 years and have seen the field I love go downhill for the last few years.  I have been looking into Coding extensively and am very, very interested.. HOWEVER, what are the chances/odds that someone of my age (50 in June 2011) with NO coding experience, just a certification, will be hired???  Do I spend my very hard-earned money on a course that pretty much gets me in the door to take the exam, but then I might actually not land a job due to AGE and inexperience????  Just trying to be realistic!! 

Odds - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I am older than you and am pursuing coding. Coders are in demand and there are quite a few employment options, from entry level billing office jobs to analysts and consultants. You might not land a job but then again there is a good chance that you will. I've been reading your posts for a long time and it seems that you are quite indecisive. Before enrolling in a formal progam, you could order some instructional coding books from AHIMA, Faye Brown or Carol Buck to give yourself an introduction to coding. Attend local chapter meetings and talk with other coders. There are no guarantees in life, if you want to do it just go for it. Any new skills you learn regardless of your future career path will not be wasted.

odds/chances - Steph

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for reply! I want to go into coding for sure, I just am very tight with my $$ and don't want to "rush" in to a program before seeing a ton of posts, opinions, etc. I have to be very keen on what I do, how, why and whether it is realistic. I think you are right - there are no guarantees. So, maybe,just maybe, Jan 2011 may be my official "just do it" time!

A question for you . . . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
OK, you seem to be concerned that you will get training and be unable to find a job because of . . . something. What, exactly?

You seem to have a need to be absolutely positive in advance. Otherwise, what . . . you'll stay right where you are? Is that a happy thought for you or not? Your decision.

You expressed concern that you would be unable to get a job without experience and a certification.

There are hundreds of thousands of coders working right now. They were not born coders, and at some point htey had to get some training, so how do you explain the fact that they got a job? A lot of those coders aren't even certified, so how do you explain that they got jobs in coding EVEN WITHOUT A CERTIFICATION?

That's an important question. What is it that you think YOU DO NOT HAVE that those people do have?

You've been a successful job-holder for 16 years, so you're not unemployable. What is it that you fear will hold you back?

There is another important question here. If not coding, what else? Is there something more attractive out there? Do you think there is ANY occupation where graduates are snapped up regardless? I don't think there are any of those. If anything, coding is a field in which it is far easier to get a job than nearly everything else!

Your questions are good, but you are asking the wrong people. You will never believe any of us because you don't know us--you don't know what we are legitimate and sincere.

Please do not enroll in any school until you have attended a local AAPC meeting in your area and talked to the members about job opportunities. Those people are all working coders who will know about your local options. THAT is who you need to be asking, not us.

I'm not going to tell you how to find your local chapter other than to say it is on the AAPC website. If you are interested in doing the research to find that information for yourself, then you have at least one critical success factor for coding -- the interest and ability to find necessary answers. If you are not interested in doing that, then you won't enjoy coding, much less do well in it.

Answers to the Question for me - Steph

[ In Reply To ..]
I have one issue, really, and that is how old I am (50), but I do see a lot of other MTs about this age "starting over". I love the MT field, researching, figuring things out, etc, so coding will be a good fit for me. I intend to find a local AAPC chapter after the holidays. I had emergency gallbladder surgery last week, so not quite ready to get out there yet. I know on Indeed.com there are tons of job openings in my area. I appreciate everything you said, and your point of staying where I am at and being happy (or not) was well said and I totally agree with you.

Merry Christmas and I believe 2011 will be my JUMP into a new field/life!

another 50+ too! - typetypetypeaway

[ In Reply To ..]
I am also over 50 (59) and been MTing since 1996. I love the field, hate to get out of it, but currently unemployed for 8 months, trouble finding work, so been also thinking about what to do. I know I would like to stay in the medical field and hoping if I decide to make the switch, that coding might be a good way to go. Good luck to you.

another 50+ - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm also another 50ish wannabe coder. I'm hoping my age won't be held against me but when I consider I have at least 15 years before retirement, I just can't stay in MT any longer and coding seems like a natural fit.
50ish - Steph
[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder how many of us at this tender age of "around 50" are thinking along these lines, too? Been MT since 1196 myself.. love it, especially radiology, but like a lot of you guys, seems the hours worked are longer and the checks are much less. Not good - so, time to move on.. soon (:

Oh, good grief! - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
Other than seasonal work as Mrs. Claus and Walmart greeter, can you name one occupation for which your age WON'T be an issue?

Go ahead . . . name one. Nursing? Radiology tech? Everything else in medicine smells, requires heavy lifting or standing or both, or involves dealing with sick people. Sometimes all of those things. Employers see a 40+ for one of those jobs and visions of back injuries dance in their heads.

Banking? Accounting? Sales? Real Estate? I think those jobs require 4-inch heels.

Most of the coders I know are in their 50s or 60s. They've raised their kids, they've raised their grandkids, and now they're working in their second or third career, and it's FINE.

This is a field in which maturity and stability are positive factors. Life experience is a benefit. You just NEED that in order to put things in perspective and keep from having a nervous breakdown every time Medicare changes something. The patience that comes with age really helps.

There might be some doctor who needs a 22-year-old, but you wouldn't want THAT kind of job, anyway. Other employers will love you! They love anyone now who wears attire recognizable as actual clothing and who doesn't have piercings in their face.

Nobody can promise anything, but age really isn't a big issue and delaying isn't going to make you younger. Dress well, get your hair, nails, and makeup done, get some coaching for the interview, and remember not to mention the Geritol.

Age (: - Steph
[ In Reply To ..]
i loved your post, especially about wearing something that actually passed as clothing! I totally got that and smiled.. Thanks! The humor (and reality) of this sure helps.. and my next step is going to a local chapter meeting in January - I have already been in touch with their VP... can't wait!!
Age - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Steph, I don't want to offend you but don't you think this has gone on long enough? I'm finishing my coding program in April and have already started looking for coding jobs. I think I've been reading your questions on this board (and also on the MT board) for that length of time, just consider the time you've wasted. Coding requires decision making, and it makes me wonder if it's really what you want if you are having trouble this early on in the game. I guess you could call this tough love. Change is difficult; I should know, I've been an MT for 35 years and have had the same job for 16. I'm trying to encourage you to get started. Hope you enjoy the chapter meeting, good luck.
Age - STeph
[ In Reply To ..]
No offense taken. I have been thinking along these lines for about 6 months tops. I am a single mom with 2 kids in college.. I work 2 full-time MT jobs to make ends meet, so cost is a huge issue and I want to be sure I spend my money wisely. On a side note, I may be selling my house to move into an aparment very soon, and there are other things to deal with before I even start school. So, my mind is actually made up, it's cost and timing that are "in the way", but not for long.. (:
Thanks - see message - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the explanation, good luck!
age--for me not the issue - typetypetypeaway
[ In Reply To ..]
I posted above...I was not having an issue with my age of 59 and switching careers and if no one would hire me because of it (anyway, I don't think companies can ask age). My concern and decision was in whether I should leave MTing and choose another field at 59, putting in the time for schooling, etc. knowing that at 62 I was looking forward to partial retirement..don't know if there are many coder jobs in part-time hours. I have been unemployed since April and I don't think unemployment will allow it to be "99" like some of those before me. For me, the unemployment came at the wrong time in my life, I will be short about 2 years to partial retirement after unemployment. My decision is whether to forego my retirement at 62 and whether to switch careers at this time. If this had happened to me at 50 and the situation in MTing the way it is now, I probably would not have given it a second thought to switching to something else. I have some serious thinking to go though.
Coding After 50 - Cindy
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm here to say that a 51-year-old can be sexually harrassed. A radiologist recently asked me to run away with him. Okay, he was 82. Who would think I would be the May in a May-December thing. True story. And yes he was being silly! My husband and his wife may have objected (grin). Age is just a number/excuse--truly. Regarding guarantees, we may not even be here tomorrow. Hope so, but it's not guaranteed.

Coding After 50 - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
Keep in mind, if you have been an MT for years, you are not starting all over with coding. The anatomy,physiology, pharmacology, and terminology stays the same. I'm working through it on my own and am enjoying it. Keep in mind, many physicians code their own charts without any specialized training at all. Just like transcription, many folks learn this skill on the job and on the fly.
The physicians I've worked for have more training than you might think - plus
[ In Reply To ..]
The physicians take coding very seriously. They go through seminars and workshops that are specific for the ind of practice they have. They do that while they are on cruises and meetings put on by professional organizations, but they don't usually stop there. They usually hire consultants who set up their codes for them. Some of them have consultants who do a good job for them and others cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars because they don't know what they are doing. Doctors are cutting costs on supplies and personnel in their offices, but they are learning, sometimes the hard way, not to cut costs on coders who know their stuff.

Similar Messages:

May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor
Dec 16, 2014

Good luck to all when lines are finally uploaded. I am nervous as heck. I have applied at several other places and tested for a couple. Hopefully I will be out of here soon! ...

What Are The Odds Of Running Out Of Work
Dec 23, 2013

Don't want to work, but I will..just really hoping there is no work. ...

What Are The Chances? SM
Sep 14, 2011

If I am working in the radiology department of a hospital as an MT, what do you think the chances are that after I complete my coding course that I would be considered for a coding position?  The job board for this hospital for coding jobs states that within 2 years of employment you must gain the CCS credential.  Therefore, I assume you do not need to be credentialed to be hired.  However, I wonder if they would even consider me without coding experience.  What I would have ...

What Are My Chances Of Getting Hired...?
Jan 13, 2010

I have a GED but no college. I can type fast and accurately and I am a quick learner. If I take the CareerStep course, what are the chances that I would get hired by an online company? ...

What Are My Chances Of Getting Hired Anywhere
Aug 31, 2012

I have two years experience but my experience is not recent.  I did not graduate from a school or course, rather, I was trained by an MTE and by someone who had a general practice that they typed for.  Eventually I was able to take over the general practice but had to give it up because my husband's health was critical. I would like very much to get back to MT work but the ads I'm seeing are not conducive to me thinking I'm going to get hired......  What y'all ...