A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is it really possible to self-train? - Tired MT

Posted: Dec 26, 2010

I have been an MT for over 20 years, but during that time I've also done both inpatient and physician office coding, and also managed a physician's office for a number of years.  Is it possible, by purchasing the right materials, to hone my skills sufficiently to pass one of the certification exams? 

Coding - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in a very similar situation to you. That's what I'm planning to do in April 2011. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Can I ask - Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Which study materials you're using? I found Carol Buck's Step-by-Step coding (2010) on Ebay at a very good price. I'm also planning on previewing a nearby community college's bookstore to see what materials they're using.

would recommend - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
Clinical Coding Workout and Faye Brown's coding handbook are also very good resources.
Thanks! - Tired MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate it!

Coding - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to the AHIMA website and bought the books that they recommended as preparation for the test. One problem is the coding book doesn't have answers. I need to call around and see if I can find the answers. There are noncoding questions on the test. The AHIMA blue print gives a good overview of the noncoding questions.
No answers - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Always check to see if textbooks contain answers! Many of them do not. At the most, they might contain only the even or odd-numbered answers.

Their coding texts do not contain answers because the books are used in college courses. You might have some difficulty finding the answers because they will not provide non-instructors with answer keys and it is considered unethical for instructors to share the keys with others, so they won't help, either. Most publishers have the same policy.

Students sometimes have collections of answers, but they're often wrong, especially if they are based on an old answer key that had errors. And nearly all answer keys contain errors.

If the book you bought does not have a "with answers" version, your best bet would be to return it and find a different one, like the with-answers version of Faye Brown.

Now you're beginning to see why exams, especially theirs, can be hard to prepare for and why the failure rate is so high. It's just difficult to get all the information unless you are enrolled in a program.

Self-Study Coding (textbooks) - Cindy
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been studying the AHIMA publication, Basic ICD-9-CM Coding, 2011 Edition. This is what is cool: I bought it and realized there were no answers in the book. I e-mailed AHIMA and asked them if I could purchase a study guide. They in turn, e-mailed a 50-page answer guide (for free!). I can't imagine a better study aid. I have absolutely no connections to AHIMA, but I have been VERY impressed with how supportive they are. Just me, but I think I'm going to stick with AHIMA products.
OK, but . . . - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm surprised that they did that--it's something I've never seen them do before. It seems to be a violation of their own policies.

Please be aware that the recommendation for Faye Brown wasn't intended to switch you to something second-best. Faye Brown is the major reference for inpatient coding. It's what people use after they finish with the AHIMA textbooks.

Maybe, and . . . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have already done inpatient and outpatient coding, you should not need "training." All you need to do is review.

Before buying any books, you should find out what the exam covers. Both the AAPC and AHIMA provide exam information on their websites, and AHIMA even lists the recommended books.

The AAPC uses Carol Buck's books. They just have an AAPC cover on them. That will not be adequate for AHIMA's CCS or CCS-P exam, however. For the ICD-9-CM part of those, you really need Faye Brown.

Thank you! - Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I printed off the book list from AHIMA and plan on getting them after the first of the year.

Self-Train - Skater

[ In Reply To ..]
Tired MT,

Have you done inpatient coding in a hospital setting? It is important because taking the CCS credential is a difficult test for individuals who have been coding 2 or 3 years. I honestly don't know if I would trust myself to train enough to take the test, but one option would be to check into AHIMA's test prep examinations. I know there would be a cost, but if you can do it, it would probably be a good indication to see if you need more advanced training.

Self Train - Skater

[ In Reply To ..]
Tired MT,

If you are planning to take the CCS, you will NEED to review CPT coding as this is a major part of the test as well. Check out CCS study guides through El Sevier books online or suggestions by AHIMA.

study the guidelines! - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
Whatever books you personally decide on, study the official coding guidelines inside and out. And Faye Brown is necessity!

Thanks Skater and cj - Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I really appreciate the suggestions/advice. I've done inpatient hospital, ER, outpatient surgery and clinic coding, but it's been a while, so no doubt much review is in order.

I did..and passed the CPC exam a few months ago. - Biller/coder/MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a similar situation to yours and have been doing MT work as well as billing and coding for 17 years. I thought I had to take the classes to prepare for the exam but my supervisor at the hospital I work for told me that I had enough experience that I could pass it without taking classes. So, I bought a CPC study exam off Ebay, studied it and in a month took the exam. I passed!! and got a raise.

Similar Messages:

How Do You Train If You Are Already FT On Another Job?
Sep 07, 2011

If you are FT days and want to get a part time job that requires a day or 2 of training, how the heck do you do it?  Do some companies have trainers that work evening and/or week hours to help schedule these people in or do you have to take time off from FT job to train? ...

Any Companies That Actually Train You In VR?
Jun 14, 2010

Are they any companies that give you *good* training in voice recognition, and not just expects you to know how to do it. Say a full day or several days of good, thoroguh training. ...

Companies Who Train MTs
Feb 27, 2014

I have been an MT for almost 18 years and know some of the older companies used to train people in transcription then keep them on after they'd completed the course.  Does anyone know if there is a company that still does this and who my friend can contact? ...

RE-TRAIN ACUTE CARE
May 10, 2013

I have been a transcriptionist for the past 22 years.  I have worked in hospitals and clinics as well as an IC.  Early in my career, I transcribed acute care, autopsy, pathology and radiology reports.   For the past 15 years I have concentrated on transcribing radiology reports which has been profitable for me since I did not mind typing difficult dictators and ESL physicians.   Currently, am fortunate to be working as a full-time employee and have my hourly rate.&n ...

Patient Has Train Morse. ASR Apparently Thinks
Aug 26, 2010

Silent Type - Having To Pay Up Front To Train In Jersey!
Jul 08, 2011

Thanks for letting me know about having to pay up front to train in Jersey! I wouldn't even do that if we had the money when you don't know how awful of an account you may get or horrible platform. I was just getting ready to test. Thanks for the info! ...

President Of AHDI Advises Us To Train As Coders Or In EHR.
Mar 20, 2012

The latest issue of Plexus (MT industry journal) makes reference to the fact that the president of AHDI told a group of MTs to start training either as coders or in some EHR capacity.  Her point is having a broad base is our best bet at keeping/getting a good job in rapidly changing HIM these days. ...