A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding school - already know 75% of the coursework having been an MT - so here is my question

Posted: Jul 14, 2010

I am taking an online coding and billing course and the frustrating thing about it is I already know 75% of the coursework having been an MT for 100 years. I know medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, the anatomy of a medical record, etc. So I skip through and take the module test and move on. There are those on this forum who say MT experience doesn't help when transitioning to coder/biller. Can anyone elaborate on why they say this?

question - jm

[ In Reply To ..]
I recall someone saying it is different and employers won't hire you to be a coder just because you have MT experience. Did someone say it doesn't help? I came from MT and that knowledge was a great foundation for coming into coding. MTs are already fluent in medical language speak, know medical terminology, and anatomy and physiology. (And know how to spell everything!). Imagine coming from no medical background and starting from scratch. I didn't mind the review, feeling that I was just reinforcing my knowledge. When you get into actual coding, it is nothing like MT. You will feel right at home with all the medical terminology and that is a HUGE advantage. The coding work is a whole new ball game. Also, I find you have to take your anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology education deeper as you go along to stay on your toes.

As a coding student - see message - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in a distance learning coding program too, in fact it might be the same one. I've been an MT for 30+ years and went into it with the same attitude, thinking that I knew it all. If you want to skip terminology, fine; take the module exam and and see if you can pass it but you will be missing a lot of the material they cover. I would definitely recommend NOT skipping the anatomy; as they say, "we don't know what we don't know" and when you get to the final exam you want to make sure you've covered all the material. At first I couldn't understand why I needed to know all that to code but as I progress in the class it is becoming more apparent. As JM said, I cannot imagine anyone without medical backgound entering into that from scratch. The terminology and anatomy did get tedious but I am finally finishing the last module tonight, taking my test and glad to have that behind me. I get to spend time with one the coders where I work observing and learning (I still do MT full-time) and I'm pretty excited about that. I'm going on and on....The bottom line is, as a coding student I would advise you to do the entire program and not skip anything, you might regret it later.

aspiring coding student - doozer

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a transcriptionist and I would like to know where you go to school on line. I am almost ready to start The Andrew's School of Medical Coding, but I am open to hear about other on line schools. Thanks. Doozer
On-line schools - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in Career Step but anyone from Andrews will tell you their program is the best. Others on-line are through AAPC and AHIMA. Several colleges also offer distance learning, good luck with your choice.
Thanks - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
That is great that Andrews students love their program so much. That says a lot about a school. I would think AHIMA is good, too, though I never hear anyone really talk about it.
Career step - is around 2K
[ In Reply To ..]
AHIMA is around 2K and from what I can see Andrews is 3.8K.
coding schools - dnh
[ In Reply To ..]
Be sure to seriously check out community colleges, too. There are several that offer on-line programs which are quite good and far less costly. FAR less. The big names are not the only one that can offer you a good education.
Please compare total costs-- - Tuition versus All Costs
[ In Reply To ..]
When you compare costs, please be up-front about what is included. Are books included? Are instructors included? Are course materials online and do they require printing out? Is expensive computer access required? Is the time allowed for completion so short that one or more pricey "extensions" will be required? Does the program cover ALL of coding, or is it just office coding?

Once you add books and everything else to a school's seemingly low tuition, you may find that it closely approximates another school's apparently higher tuition.

Schools have different ways of marketing their products. Just be honest about what's included when you try to steer students toward a 2K program or a uber-cheap community college.

Total costs - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't think anyone was steering anyone in any direction, the poster just mentioned the cost of each program. Where do you come up with expensive computer access as a factor? Most of us already have computers and high speed internet and would be paying for it regardless of how we used it. My program covers both inpatient and outpatient coding. I did have to purchase some books but all the coding books are included. An 8-month extension is also included for free. An no, it's not an uber-cheap community college but it is not Andrews either, here we go again....
Please explain - What is
[ In Reply To ..]
Expensive computer access?
Not the OP but some schools require students to have subscriptions - Not sure if this is what OP meant
[ In Reply To ..]
There is some kind of subscription that some schools require. I can't think of the name of it, but some of you probably know what I'm talking about.
I don't know - sm - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not familiar with that, my school does not have it, I was confused about it too.
Computer requirements - Vary
[ In Reply To ..]
Most MTs will have high-speed internet, but some people only have dial-up. Some have to use an employer's computer and email. Quite a lot have no computer at all, so they must make do with the public library or a computer they borrow at a friend's house. Even with their own computer, they might be unable to print. A lot of people who want to learn a new career do so because they're currently unemployed.

Many colleges require students to have the entire Microsoft Office Professional package -- not the one that comes on most computers. The student has to buy Powerpoint, Visio, Outlook, Excel, Project, and One Note. Access to certain publishers' software testing websites may be required. Others may require a subscription to coding laboratory software. This is usually a surprise, with students discovering the full meaning of it after it's too late.

At some colleges, only the official bookstore knows exactly what books will be used, forcing students to buy from them. Some require all tests to be taken at a local college's testing facility, at costs that may be $25-50 per test. Some require an on-site class or two, requiring travel and hotel accommodations for two to six weeks, and one has traditionally required this every summer while the student is enrolled.

These costs can be very difficult to identify before enrollment. One school won't fit all, but it would be more informative for prospective students if everyone gave an estimate of the "other" costs and requirements in addition to the bargain tuition.
Thank you - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I have the coding lab software, it was included with my tuition. That is interesting about Microsoft Office, I had no idea. The info about travel and hotel accommodations was informative too, thank you for sharing that information.
Yes - Good idea
[ In Reply To ..]
Now that is another thing prospective students can put on their list to investigate in whatever school they choose - computer program requirements, what is included in the coding course and what they would be required to invest in. I would not want to have to invest in computer programs to take a course, and I would hope they supply "versions" of what you need if they require it. On the other hand, I don't want to have to go so simple that you have to write out EVERYTHING, like tests, assessments, assignments. That can be a drag in this day and age when technical ease is so available. I realize some are neccessary, (essays) but don't take me backwards.
Career Step - 2K includes
[ In Reply To ..]
All books, plenty of time to complete course, no need to print out course materials, all available online. Easy to follow modules, both inpatient and outpatient coding and billing. What am I missing?
I think it's great that you're happy with your choice of schools - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Career Step - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I am in Career Step. My course did not include all the books. I purchased some but they are optional, I also purchased an additional anatomy and physiology text, the one that AHIMA uses for their class. All the coding books and other material are included in the tuition, however. I have printed out a few things but only because I need them for review and don't see that as a problem or a negative thing. I do like the course, and like being able to work at my own pace. They are giving me a year to finish plus an 8-month extension at no charge which I don't plan to use.

Who said that MT experience doesn't help??? - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
Who said that MT experience doesn't help when transitioning to coding???

It helps enormously! I've said here before that MTs make excellent coders, in large part because they know a great deal of the basic medical information AND because they have such a good grasp of the documentation and medical record aspects of it.

A lot of people think nurses are good choices for coding, and they can be, but they don't have the in-depth familiarity with medical reports and medical record contents that MTs have. Most nurses do not know what happens in a surgical procedure, but MTs do. When it comes time to figure out exactly what a surgeon did and select the correct code, MTs have little difficulty. Nurses can't do this, other medical sorts can't do it, and even some physicians can't do it, but MTs can.

It can be frustrating to have to go through material you already know, but remember that review is good. You need a more in-depth knowledge of those subjects to do really well in coding. You'll need even more to function well with ICD-10, too. So, even though it may be frustrating, it's important to do it adequately. If you think your course is presenting material at too low a level, take time to supplement it.

You can never know too much in coding . . . the closer you can come to knowing what a physician knows, the better off you will be.

College-level material is enough to get you past the coding certification exams, but the higher you can go, the better off you'll be. For inpatient coding, you need more than for outpatient. For clinical documentation improvement work, you need more than either of those.

If you can afford a little extra time to do the basics well now, you should.

MT experience for coding - sm - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the conversation we had was in regard to applying for a coding job with MT background and whether that could count toward coding experience. The consensus was that it would not, training would still be needed. As far as MT helping in the classes, that is a definite yes. I hate to admit how I strugged with anatomy, I had to get an additional book and some other interactive materials to keep it straight in my head...please tell me I'm not the only one who finds it difficult, lol! Your advice about supplementing the class material with other research is very good, there is always more to learn.

MT transition to coding definitely a plus since you know all the A & P for course work, termino - Sunrises

[ In Reply To ..]
I am also thinking of transitioning into coding from MT with all the changes that are going on now for MT's. Are you taking the course with a college or adult ed or with the Med Rec Association? From what I understand it is a matter of getting the hands on experience and I think if you can get into an office or hospital you've got it made. Like MT, it's the experience that will count.

Transition to coding - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I am doing an on-line distance learning program. I'm just starting the introduction to coding and had no idea there was so much to learn. I'm getting a chance to do some mentoring at the multispecialty clinic where I work and they're encouraging me to make other contacts with the local hospital, hopefully something good will happen for me. I love MT and want to do it for as long as I can, hopefully I can find a way to do both when I finish school.

MT & Coding - AML

[ In Reply To ..]
I was wondering about the same thing, doing both MT and Coding. I LOVE typing and always have but after 18 years, for the 2nd year in a row, yet again I am finding myself with a significant lack of MT work and was considering coding. Last night I was talking with DH and wondering if there are any MTs to ALSO code or if it is one or the other, not both. I was offered to do SR/editing and it is just not for me.
MT and coding - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Coding and MT are definitely 2 separate jobs and sometimes done in different departments of a medical facility. I am hoping on getting either a full-time coding job with my current employer or part-time MT, part-time coding if we can work that out. It's really speculation now, I'll have more options after I finish school.
actually not - cj
[ In Reply To ..]
Actually they are generally the same department, HIM, or what we always called medical records! Now health information management department. both MT and coding are HIM functions and in that same department. I am one of the people who does both. I do full-time coding and part-time MT and I really like it that way. It allows me to maintain my skills in both areas and gives me more variety.
Actually yes - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Where I work (large multispecialty clinic and surg. center) the coders and MTs are in two totally separate departments. Our coders are in the business office, MT is under HIM. Our inpatient hospital has HIM coders as well as outpatient/business office coders. There are several other acute care hospitals in our area with this arrangement.

While MT and coding may be under the same umbrella where you work, that is not necessarily true for every faciity. Regardless of that, coding and MT are definitely 2 different jobs.

Doing both - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
When you really like what you do now, it's very normal to want to continue doing it. Changing to a new job field can make us feel conflicted about our loyalties and choices. We don't speak of this much, but there is a part of us that associates this kind of change with abandonment of prior choices and friends, with being unable to make a decision and stick to it, and with a general fear of the unknown. Quite often, we even have family and friends who say "I told you so." You can hear them now, I'm sure . . . "I told you she wouldn't last a decade!" "I told you it was a stupid idea when she dreamed it up in 1982!" "I told you we would be hearing another hairbrained notion from that girl!"

Changing careers just kind of conflicts with the Great American Expectation that you'll work for the same company for 30 years. Baby Boomers, in particular, still have enough of this expectation that they can take longer to visualize, decide to act upon, and accept career changes.

Change can also be really difficult if we truly loved what we did before.

But, there is nothing at all wrong with wanting to do something new, or with needing to do something new, or with loving something new just as much as we loved something before.

We're not being disloyal just because we're changing career fields. We've probably thought out our choices, too, and realized it's a sensible decision.

It's ok to want to keep doing MT while you begin coding. Keeping up an old job while you begin a new one is often a very good idea. It takes time to see ourselves in a new identity, so for a while we might need to see ourselves in both roles.

While it's normal to want to retain a part of the past, it's also important not to let that hold you back from growth, development, and improvement.

This is one change that is very likely to work out well. My expectation is that coding will work out so much in your favor that the change will go smoothly. You'll be surprised at how well.

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Coding School????
Nov 04, 2010

Hi, I am looking into taking courses through a local community college for coding and wanted to know if this would be adequate enough to find a job once I have finished. It is a 32 credit hour program and stated that I would have a medical coding certificate once I completed the courses. I just don't want to spend money on a school/program that won't do me any good once I finish. I already feel I did this with my medical transcription course and don't want to waste any more money. ...

Has Anyone Gone To School For Coding At
Jul 08, 2011

I know they only have campuses in Wichita KS, Tulsa OK, Joplin MO, but I was just curious if anyone had gone there. TIA! ...

Coding - Getting The First Job After School
Jan 21, 2013

Question for all the coders - A young friend of mine is about to graduate from a community college with a 2-year degree in Healthcare Administration, with a good deal of her school work covering coding, billing, and insurance. She will have a new baby soon and wants to work from home as a coder (or other close field, if you can suggest one). I think I know the answer (if coding is like MT), but, is that possible? What companies, if any, hire newbies, or what is the best way to get ...

What School Did You Go To For Coding?
Jul 27, 2013

What school did you go to to learn coding? Do you feel it taught you enough to be a good coder? ...

In 2003 I Went To Coding School, I Am Also An RN
Mar 02, 2010

I can't find a job.  Sometimes it is because I am too old. maybe my coding experience is too distant. Anyone know anyone who got a got thru the board.   Thanks Maria ...

Feedback From Those Of You In Coding School
Aug 13, 2010

How are classes going for you?  Is coding what you thought it would be?  I have to say that there is much more to learn than I thought there would be but I really enjoy the research that is involved in the coding process, it is so important to read everything!  Learning the sequencing of codes has probably been the most difficult thing for me so far (I'm having trouble with the septicemia codes), but I understand a little more each day.  The ICD-9 coding guidelines defin ...

What Coding School Did You Enroll In?
Dec 10, 2010

I received a response from my previous post about coding. Can any of you post what schools you were enrolled in, now or in the past. There are so many out there. I thought I would be able to get a few from you, so I could their their respective websites. Also, did most of you enroll for online education or go onsite to school. Thanks. ...

Andrews School Of Coding A
Dec 19, 2010

Andrews School of Medical Coding and Transcription........... Just wanted to say a few words about Andrews School of Coding. 3 years ago I finished an AHIMA accredited program for Health Information, going through the program I realized there were some gaps that I needed to fill in on the coding end. I love AHIMA and being part of the organizaiton, and look forward to working in the field for a long time.  What I am finding with Andrews is that they offer an indepth, hands on training spe ...

Coding School - Looking Into Programs
Jul 13, 2011

I am looking into coding programs and have it narrowed down to possibly two.  They are Andrews and Kaplan University.  Does anybody have any experience with any of these that could help me with my decision. Also, are there any other coding programs out there that are worth looking at? Thanks. ...

Coding School And Certification
May 04, 2012

I am presently training in a new position at a physician's office.  I will be doing coding and billing.  I have coded in the past but I would like to go to school and become certified.  Can anyone please direct me in a good program rather on line or in the middle Tennessee area?  I have been an MT since 1986 and sadly this is a dying art.  Thank you. ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

What's The Best Coding School Outside Of Andrews?
Aug 03, 2013

I was wondering what the best coding school is, other than Andrews? ...

CODING SCHOOL - Where To Start?
Feb 07, 2014

Can anyone give me an idea where to start and how to choose an online class for coding?  I've looked at so many and need a better idea of what the most important aspect I am looking for is?  Andrews, Codingcertificate.org, Careerstep, etc. HELP please! ...

Coding/billing School
Apr 26, 2014

I am wanting to go into billinig/coding.  There is a tech school very close to my home. They have coding/billing  program  which takes 1 year to complete full time.  I am wondering this:  How much does a newbie make just starting out in either billing or coding and what are my chances of getting a newbie job right out of school?  Thanks for the info. ...

Can You Take The RHIT Or CCS Having Just Finished Coding School?
Apr 01, 2010

I am thinking about taking a billing/coding class, but noticed that getting a job after that involved having the RHIT or CCS.  I am wonding if this will be a catch 22 and don't want to spend time in school for coding if I cannot pass these 2 tests when I am done, as it looks like I will not be able to get hired without these certificates.  Sorry about the confusion on this.  Thanks for your time and info. ...

Billing/Coding School Recommendation Sm
Jun 28, 2010

Thinking of taking billing/coding courses since transcription is going downhill.  Any good on-line schools that are AHIMA accredited?  Do you have to take courses only accredited by AHIMA?  What about their courses?  Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.  (Also, I don't want to take a course that takes years to complete.)  Thanks in advance! ...

Not Happy With The Coding School I Chose
Jun 27, 2011

I put a lot of research into my decision and decided to spend the extra money and go with a school that got a lot of great reviews and offered a format that I felt would fit my learning style the best.  One of the benefits of this school was that you are assigned an instructor who is there to answer your questions whenever you need them, etc.  Well after getting a 1/4 of the way through the program, I am finding that my instructor takes a week to 10 days to get back to me.  I han ...

Should I Wait To Go To Coding School For Implementation Of ICD-10?
Dec 28, 2011

Am a current Mt looking to get into coding, specifically looking at Andrews.  I am not familiar with coding at all, so this may be a dumb question to those familiar with it - but here goes! Would it make more sense to wait until the implementation of ICD-10 to invest in the courses or is this a mute point pretty much?  In other words, would it be easier to "transition" from 9 to 10 or start fresh with 10?  Hope this makes sense and TIA for any input.   ...

Question Regarding Coding School Curriculum
Jan 25, 2012

Has anyone who has gone through coding school after being an MT been able to waive portions of the curriculum, such as A&P?  If not, was it more a review or was it from the beginning?  I took A&P many years ago and have been an MT since 1987 (with a break around 2003-2005) with experience in a lot of specialties from oncology to different subspecialties in neurology.  Thanks! ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

Best Time Of Year For Coding School?
Apr 30, 2014

Hello.  I was wondering if there is a best time of year to start coding school so I wouldn't have to buy many more books or new books when having to take an exam.  I know a lot of factors would go into this, such as how long it would take me to do the course, but was wondering anyway.  I plan to go through Andrews.  Thanks so much for your input! ...

Considering Coding School. Can Some Current Coders Please Tell Me - Sm
Jan 06, 2015

why coding would not eventually be replaced by electronic systems in the future?  Do they not have software that can pick out words from the text and assign the codes?  What does a coder do that cannot be automated by a machine?  Please don't think I am being insulting.  I know very little about coding and have just started researching it.  I am an MT for 20+ years. ...

54-year-old. Should I Go To School For Coding Or Stay In Transcription? Sm
Mar 05, 2010

At my age, should I try to go to school for medical biilling/coding or just stay wtih transcription or try another job (JoAnn Fabrics, etc.).  I am 54 and not sure what to do.  Any ideas out there?  If coding, what schooll(s) are good on-line or in AZ or OH?  Thanks! ...

I Am Too Old To Start The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Feb 07, 2012

Dear Friends: I am 55 and I am a transcriptionist of almost 11 years and I want to switch carreers and am choosing medical coding and want to enroll in the Andrew's School.  Do you think I am too old to start a new career? I do not think so, but I would like some thoughts. I am healthy and I know I can do it.  Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  Fondly, Suzie ...

Med-Line School - MT Bridge To Coding Program
Aug 10, 2012

Anyone take this program yet? Were you successful in passing the exam and getting a job? ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...