A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTTest - wondering - question

Posted: Jul 17, 2010

Regaring MTTest and their pass/fail inconsistencies - I'm wondering if they don't set these things to fail anything after a certain number of test takers. 

I'm just saying, if I were an MTSO hring a weed-wacker like MTTest, and with the high number of applicants these years, I'd be saying something on the order of "just send me the top 20."  and so MTTest takes the top 20 from say...50, or even the top from after 2 days of open testing, and then 'defaults' to fail after that.

Someday I'll post as an MTSO and make phone calls questioning a lot of things out there for the REAL low-down.

to clarify my typo - pose as an MTSO, not "post" as one. - big difference needed - correcting

[ In Reply To ..]

No, not really - but this is what they can do (sm) - Former Hiring Mgr (using MTTEST.com)

[ In Reply To ..]
Each company determines what score threshold they want to use for each portion of their testing unit.

Some companies have one or more question sections first. They have qualifying information that will either allow you to move forward to the next section or will disqualify you and stop you there.

When you get to the infamous "objective" portion, again the company names what their threshold is. If they want to accept 80%, then anyone not meeting 80% will be stopped from progressing through. Those making the threshold grade and above are congratulated and allowed to move to the transcription portion.

The transcription portion is not automatically graded. It is automatically scored and sent to whomever the company wants to review it. Sometimes companies hire the graders at Career Step (pitiful graders, let me tell you - former students who have never worked as MTs and grade for CS and other companies so they are constantly confused on who counts what as an error) or sometimes companies use their own QA people to grade.

The problem is not MTTEST.com. I worked with this system for years and countless applicants. The system itself is not flawed.

What causes failures:
1. In all honesty, many MTs simply do not follow instructions on the objective portion. If it tells you to write "the misspelled word, if there is one," most people don't do that. They rewrite the whole phrase. This is counted wrong - you didn't follow the instructions. The grader CAN credit you back this question if you got it right otherwise but the company has to allow it or the grader at least be observant and understand what is happening. Most graders don't understand and don't give a flip, either. Still yet, many MTs assume they know correct spellings or definitions and make flat-out wrong choices. A few will miss an objective question because they accidentally skip it.

2. Inconsistent grading. Again, the companies vary so much in what they want and are not consistent with their instructions to graders (whether they are CS graders or their own).

3. Most companies give poor instruction to applicants on expectations. They should tell you a few short hard and fast rules they want you to adhere to and write their transcription keys accordingly. It takes a lot of time and effort - I know, I used to do it. It is a constant process.

I would love to provide a central testing center that actually does a decent job, provides consistent testing modalities, and also provides feedback to the testers. I tried to do that prior and it worked great but the company soon stopped it - said it took too much time. The MTs I was able to go over their test results with were always 100% successful the next time they tested.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions.

Very informative, hopefully current. But doies not explain why - just saying

[ In Reply To ..]
the person from another thread tested and failed, then immedately retested with the exact same answers and passed. That was the pass/fail discrepancy I had in mind. (wasn't me but made me wonder)

You post is informative but pretty much common knowledge - abiity to follow instructions comes with the territory; grading standards...well, purpose of testing at all, right? Your point labeled 3 - hello. No company ever gave me instructions outside of 'go to MTTest and take it.'

anyway......

Wouldn't it be cool if they had a short sheet of instructions sm - RoadRunnerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
or "account specifics" to follow for the transcription portion? This would also show the MTSOs if that MT had the capability of following those instructions as well. This would be so much easier than let's see do they want PRN, p.r.n., or as-needed basis. So many ways things CAN be done but if one way and not the way they want it, you are counted as wrong and with 98% accuracy that alone can throw you to fail.

I also wonder if some companies don't simply make their pass/fail extremely difficult due to the fact that most are using this test score to set your rate so the more difficult and more errors they can show, the lower your pay.

Similar Messages:

Mttest Vs Career Step Mttest
Sep 30, 2010

On the mttest site I have noticed that some are by Career Step and others are not.  I always pass the ones that are not, but when Career Step is involved, I seem to be told every time I need more schooling and this is after being an MT for 18 years and also having run my own business.  Does anyone know of any companies that do not use Career Step for testing?  Where I work now didnt and I had no problems.  Other places I worked, I was not tested with Career Step involved and ...

Do I Need BOS 3 To Take MTTest?
Dec 03, 2010

Does MTTest use the current BOS 3 rules?  I never updated because my last job didn't follow BOS that closely.  Would I benefit buying the BOS 3 and going through it before I tested at MTTest?  Thanks! ...

Using Mttest For Companies
Mar 25, 2010

How exactly do you score well on these automatically graded tests from mttest?  I am a CMT with many years experience and while I do pass, sometimes I get a score in the 80s and then other times its the high 90s.  I have been told that some let it automatically score and others manually score them.  What is the secret?  Is it just a formatting thing that throws the scores off so much? ...

Boycott MTTest!
Jul 15, 2010

I believe that if we all boycott MTTest, that these companies will have to find other ways to test applicants.  From this point on, I will no longer take any tests through the MTTest website.  Also, any company who throws more than 3 or 4 dictations at you for testing purposes isn't worth working for.  So, MTSOs, get ready for the onslaught because I doubt that I'm the only one willing to do this.  No company is worth the grief of having to spend hours taking tests, ...

What Is The MTTest Website?
Oct 19, 2010

I'm a recent MT grad. and was wondering how this website works? Are there any websites that offer practice tests that are similar to the type online companies use? I haven't taken any online tests yet and wonder do most companies let you use a foot pedal? Or do they use the F1, F2 etc. commands? thanks for any advice! ...

Mttest Questions...sm
Oct 20, 2011

When using mttest, do you expand the abbreviations the first time encountered in the report?  I know mttest can be tricky and I'm worried I'm doing it wrong.   Thanks! ...

Tips For Using The Mttest.com Site
May 12, 2010

The site is very literal.  Here are some tips. Objective: 1.  Thoroughly read the instructions.  Don't try to think about the instructions - simply read them and follow them.  For example if it tells you to type the correct spelling of a word into a field (picking a misspelled word out of a phrase), only type that word - not anything else.  2.  Look up every single word and definition before you make a choice.  I don't care how much you T ...

Mttest.com - What A Waste Of My Time
Sep 17, 2010

I just had to say that when I see a company looking for MTs and they have to test through mttest, I cross them off my list of potential employment.  What a waste of my time.  Took it years ago and would never do it again.  There has to be some other way or just look at a person's resume and phone previous employers.  If I have over 25 years of experience, took pride in getting my CMT and have tons of experience in every specialty, chances are I am a good bet.  Just venting. ...

Has Anyone Started The MTTest And Had To Finish (sm)
Dec 08, 2010

it the next day?  Will they save your test overnight?  I started late today and ran into a problem (personal) and was wondering if I could finish the test tomorrow.  Appreciate any info. ...

Time To Boycott MTTest.com
Jan 11, 2012

Just took another test at that site and, as we all know, most of the time the tests are ridiculously easy and yet I keep failing...supposedly.  Something fishy in Vancouver:))) ...

Anyone Out There Recently Passed The Mttest.com
Mar 07, 2014

HELP? Has anyone out there recently passed the mttest.com (created by Career Step) that most all companies are utilizing to prescreen their candidates? I am a Career Step graduate (high honors) with many years� experience working for a very large global transcription company; yet I cannot seem to pass the aforementioned test to save my life. I find this strange for the following reasons: 1. I passed the same (or nearly the same) test, on the 1st try, with a 99% combined score t ...

MTTest Testing Sites
Dec 09, 2014

It has been my experience that any time a company requests that you go to their testing site to complete a test, it seems to be a waste of time in screening candidates.  The audio files are extremely hard to hear and half the time the audio skips.  There should be a better way to screen applicants than by using these testing sites.  It is a no-win situation.  You spend two hours doing their screening and trying to transcribe reports that are not the work type that they are ev ...

Find Myself Shying Away From Companies That Use Mttest
Dec 09, 2010

I find myself shying away from companies that use mttest.  Something about that method of testing and scoring just doesn't sit right with me. ...

Wondering About Pay
Dec 14, 2009

I work as an MT in a very rural area, so the pay is VERY good for me.  We are a one income household since my husband got laid off and I easily pay the mortgage, car payments, all of the bills, etc.  I was wondering, if a person lives in a much more expensive area, like California where a person's mortgage would easily be four times mine, do they get more money per line to compensate for that, or is it the same? ...

Just Wondering???
Feb 22, 2010

Does anyone miss just typing/transcribing a report the old fashioned way?  Expansions are nice, I must admit, but ASR is boring.   Just wondering..... ...

Wondering Again
May 07, 2010

Why do companies not want to use mac computers? I have tested many times using word 2003 on my computer but they get scared or dont know what to do if I tell them I use a mac computer. ...

Okay I Am Wondering What Is Going On? Sm
Jan 29, 2011

I have gone from NJA most of the time to now doing late work and have been having more work the last few days.  How is this possible?  Did MTs quit?  I just don't get it.  I am not complaining mind you but just wondering---how strange! ...

Just Wondering...has Anyone Ever Actually Gotten
Jun 01, 2011

gotten their pay docked 3 cents a line for critical errors, over 5% QA submission, etc.  I haven't heard anyone actually say that happened to them.  Is it just a threat ?  I know they would LIKE to dock our pay.    The reason I ask is that I've been having a bad past few weeks.....extra difficult/bad sound quality reports plus stress along with that has caused me to have to sent more than 5% to QA plus I make two what they call critical errors (I saw them as ...

Just Wondering ...
Jul 09, 2011

Hope I've got this on the right board.  I'm to the point where I need to get a new chair.  My back hurts, my butt hurts, and ... well ... you get the idea.  just wondering if anyone can recommend a good, reasonably priced chair. ...

I Was Just Wondering...
Oct 13, 2011

how hard it would be to switch from doing medical transcription to legal transcription?  That might be a good way to transition out of MT for someone who wants to try something else and still work at home.  I know nothing about it and thought maybe some of you do??     ...

Just Wondering...
Jan 16, 2012

Just wondering...when is "any where" used vs "anywhere"?  Sentence is "fluid draining any where between...."  Which is correct? ...

I Was Wondering About Something.
Jan 25, 2012

As an in-house MT we were required to wear business casual clothing.  Another job required scrubs.  Now that I work from home, I wear pJs, sweats, jeans, shorts, whatever.   I noticed that when I am "dressed" (not in pj's or sweats) that I seem to be more productive and I was wondering if others have noticed the same thing.  Sometimes I wonder if the way we dress to transcribe affects our productivity as a professional employee.  You know when you dress up to go ou ...

Just Wondering---
Jan 28, 2012

Who are they going to blame once they switch over to the EMR and there are a million mistakes on the chart?  They won't have the MTs to blame any more, so I wonder, who will it be???  Maybe the "scribe" or the med student who has to follow the docs around because they will be too lazy to type a few things into the computer?  Just wondering----. ...

Just Wondering If Anyone Here Has A
May 04, 2012

from PAHCS? Just curious....Havent come across any mention of them on here. ...

I Am Just Wondering...
Dec 25, 2012

get any kind of card, greeting, token or whatever from their MTSO?  This is the first time in over 20 years of MT that I received nothing, not even a happy holidays pat on the back email from a supervisor.  Now don't get me wrong; I'm not a person who gets all sentimental over the holidays, but really, to work for one of the biggest companies in the world and not even get an e-card?  Maybe I am just being a silly old fool,  but this seems very omnious to me, like tr ...

Saw This Ad And Am Wondering...
Feb 21, 2013

It's 11:30 p.m., and I'm looking at this website and have not thoroughly read this forum, so please don't get angry at me.  I'm 59 this year and can hardly believe the course below would only take a month to complete.  I fully realize, of course, that in no way, shape or form would this make me a coder but might hopefully get me into a doctor's office (?), which I'm having no luck whatsoever despite sending resumes, since I've had no recent ...

Wondering About Something, With So Many Of Us
May 28, 2013

I wonder that most of us seem to be in the mid-40s and even later 50s or 60s that are sick of the MT garbage and want to get out by going back to school. Has anyone considered the fact of how old you/we will be when we graduate a program? Even a 1-year program likely will take 2 years to go through if somone has to work full-time to support themselves, even with loans to pay for school. What about the age discrimination I hear so much of and definitely see it in the real world? Does ...

Just Wondering How Many MTs....
Jul 12, 2013

...can hardly stand to listen to another syllable of these dictators (I think they're supposed to be professionals?) who can hardly put two words together? I had a resident dictate over 30 minutes of absolute garbage today and this was actually an extremely sick patient. This is why I go to the doctor visits with my family members these days. Family members absolutely have to stay on top of things because we could encounter one of these residents/fellows who, in all honesty, may have the be ...

Just Wondering . . .
Sep 10, 2013

Did TSMs and QCs get their PTO cut?  Did their wages go down? Worker bee's are becoming extinct. Ponder that one. ...

Just Wondering.....
Jul 16, 2014

I work in the West and my work has been low, so that every night I am working outside my BOB, and usually for East or South.  How is your work in these other regions? ...