A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is CareerStep a good school??? - Pamela

Posted: Feb 27, 2014

Is this school okay or a scame

Pamela - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I always ranked it a distant third (behind Andrews and M-TEC). However, more importantly, why on earth are you considering medical transcription today? I really would think you could make a better, more profitable career choice. Please do your due diligence and think this through carefully before you sign any contracts or send ANYBODY any money. Good luck to you.

An old pro too, and totally in agreement with - none

[ In Reply To ..]
you. At one point, my daughter was thinking about doing transcription and I encouraged her to do so. That was a very long time ago. Subsequently, she did not and now is making more than I ever thought of just working hard and learning other things. She has gotten her 2 year science Associates degree and is planning on going to coding at the junior college in our town in the fall. It looks as if she will be making very good money. Please, I am sending you this because I care about people who are sold this profession as one that has a future to it. It most certainly does not. GOOD LUCK TO YOU NO MATTER!

ALL MT schools are a scam - Evy

[ In Reply To ..]
You've been told before that this is a dying field. Do your research. Go look on the Nuance or MModal boards on this site. Read the posts here. This is not a joke. Many of us are trying desperately to get OUT of this business because we cannot make a living. The pay is horrible. You will have a difficult time even finding a job once you finish the course. IT IS NOT WORTH IT!!!!

I regret ever becoming a transcriptionist. I've wasted the last 10 years of my life and am further behind now than I was before. I have to start all over in my career. There is no future here.

Please take heed of our warnings.

AMEN to that! - clb

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, OP, what she says is true! Please don't do it. Do any other minimum wage job out there. At least they pay by the hour, maybe even overtime, and there's always room for advancement, promotion, raises, transfers, or moving onto something better. I'm trying to get out and am only able to get $9/hr jobs. I was making $14/hr before MT! It will ruin your life, seriously do not waste your time or money. Do anything but MT.

Evy - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, I would like to differ (politely and kindly). Andrews offered a superior education in medical transcription. Its owner (whom I have never met, and no, I have never worked for Andrews), is a highly ethical professional woman. While I do agree that it is foolhardy to study medical transcription at this day and time, I do feel that is disingenuous to blame all schools for the current plight of MTs. There are many I would blame (the matchbooks), but it is not the fault of Andrews (or of M-TEC, which was also a good school) that the state of our profession is where it is. I know that it is very easy to "shoot from the lip" and cast blame for things where blame does not belong. (I know this because I have done it myself on more than one occasion.) In short, I think Andrews really gave people their money's worth. I would never have hesitated at hiring an Andrews grad. People who came from various "institutes," not so much. Not making you wrong, just asking you to please think it through. I think we can agree that an MT education is not a good investment today, but please don't paint all schools with the same brush.

Old Pro - Evy

[ In Reply To ..]
Ok... I guess what I meant is that this entire business is a scam and any place willing to take your money and sell you the falsehood that you can make a living in this business anymore is in on the scam. These schools know the state of transcription and yet they still churn out the lies about projected job growth and salaries. I didn't go through Andrews, so I don't know their practices. Do they tell you before they take your money the state of the medical transcription business these days? Are they honest about the future of MT? Do they tell you about EPIC? Are they honest about how much work goes offshore, how much editing versus transcribing you are likely to do, how most companies these days will not pay more than 8/4 cpl and that you are more likely to get the 4 because of how much editing there is. Do they give accurate practice samples of ESLs, horrible audio, VR catastrophes, etc. to properly prepare the students for what they are going to encounter? Are they honest about how much money you are likely to be able to make?

If not, then they are in on the scam and are just as guilty, in my opinion.
Evy - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
The proper place to get these questions answered is to ask Andrews. Never having studied with Andrews, I would not have the answers you are looking for. I think you are more interested in hurling names and accusations such as calling them "a scam" than in finding facts. (I know, it always feels good to find a scapegoat.) Remember the late Senator Daniel Moynihan? He had a great saying, "You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts." The situation is not nearly as simplistic as you wish to paint it, and IMHO, Andrews (and other good schools) are not "guilty" of anything. And, BTW, some people still make good money in MT. I do it part-time for travel money, and am still averaging over $30/hour. Again, you can't paint everyone with the same brush. I empathize with you, and with all younger people in this same boat. However, if I were going to pick a scapegoat, I would point my fingers at the biggies like the Squid and yes, even that holy grail, AHDI.
If you make $30 an hour, you are DEFINITELY the exception - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
n/m
$30 an hour - Dee
[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes I can get that, but I am copying and pasting and it depends on the dictator and how fast he is going.
That is not how you calculate it - Way misleading
[ In Reply To ..]
The fact that you say you can "sometimes" get that tells me that your estimate of $30/hr is way off base.

That is why people like Pamela get sucked in by scammy schools. They think they are going to be able to make $30 an hour, when they can't.

The $/hour is not based on how much you make when you have easy work and type frantically for one hour.

It should be total $ received divided by the total time spent in doing the work. That time has to include ALL time involved in work, in GETTING work, and everything else. That means time spent on non-transcription activities like training, picking up tapes, printing, delivering electronically, checking to see if work is available, phone calls to manage the account or deal with the employer, corrections, invoicing, bookkeeping, buying, maintaining, and troubleshooting software, etc.

And, you also have to subtract expenses from the $. Subtract the cost of computers, software, business licenses, certifications, reference material, office supplies, printer cartridges, internet access, subscriptions, accountants and lawyers, auto or mileage, postage, furniture, telephones, telephone service, advertising, flyers, email, holiday gifts to clients, office expenses, insurance, and anything else that costs.

This also needs to consider those times when accounts are new and you are slow because of it, not just the one hour a year that everything goes well.

I have only rarely seen an MT who calculated this accurately. That is why so many live hand to mouth and cannot pay their taxes. Really, when everything is considered, they are making less than minimum wage.

I can just bet that Pamela's acquaintance who claims to be making $30/hr isn't. She is not counting the total time, or the expenses, or is forgetting to mention that she only has part-time work. Or all three.

I agree - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
A true calculation of how much money you can make at MT is how much your gross pay is for the year, not how much you "think" you are making an hour. Most of us only make anywhere between $15,000 to $20,000 per year. The ones who make more are the ones lucky enough to get hired on somewhere at a local hospital or clinic where they can make an hourly wage.
I was just going to say that - about Andrews
[ In Reply To ..]
I think as part of her research should be talking to Ms. Andrews.
I agree, she should talk to Ms. Andrews - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
She should indeed speak with Ms. Andrews. She should also get a little bit broader exposure to the business of the business--by this, I mean, looking at what impacts the whole marketplace these days. And to the other poster, yes, I know I am the exception. I have been doing this for 40 years, and have been very fortunate, for which I am grateful. Now, back to watching the rainstorms out my window! I hope we don't have a flood.
And all she is going to take away from - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
this thread is that you make $30 an hour, not the fact that almost no one makes that much anymore and certainly no newbie is going to make that much for several years, if ever.
Right. I'm still a newbie and I make a third of that... - clb
[ In Reply To ..]
If my calculations are correct (and I'm bad at math) I calculate my hourly wage out each paycheck. I take total lines divided by total hours worked (on my timecard of course LOL) to get my LPH x CPL to equal $/hr. Sometimes it's 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, even 15 once! It just depends on that particular PP. On average for the year I would guess $10-11 an hour that it averages out to because weekdays is more and weekends is less due to NJA. That's my gross check though before insurance, taxes, etc is taken out. Not too bad for employee status but I still can't live on that. And I don't have kids. So Pamela thinking one income for herself and her child on MT wages is okay just simply won't cut it. Sorry.

Not all schools are a scam - But doing MT is a joke-nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xxxx

might be a good school - but not for MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't say you weren't warned. Do not go into MT.

To answer your question - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Career Step is a good school and not a scam. I felt they adequately prepared me for doing medical transcription work. That being said, the medical transcription field has changed and isn't what it was years ago. If I were doing things over, I would definitely pursue a job in the medical field, albeit a different part of the medical field. Sad to say, but anything to do with Oncology (study of cancer) is a rising field. Therefore, go to school to be a medical assistant, x-ray tech, etc. You'll be better off!

Career Step is definitely not a scam - Been around the block

[ In Reply To ..]
but it is far from the best. Students need access to real instructors, not an answer key.

Might as well train to be a phone operator. sm - Dinosaur MT

[ In Reply To ..]
They may not be a scam per se, but I find it sad that anyone would throw away their money to train for a job that is not going to be around very much longer. I wish I had not been so short-sighted and had gotten into something else a long time ago while I was still young.

or a travel agent - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Does it matter? - Blunt answer

[ In Reply To ..]
It really doesn't matter, does it? On the main board, you were given advice to steer away from MT, but all you seem to have gotten from it is the idea that you will be the exception to the rule. Even if you do accept that most MTs now do not have viable jobs, that SR, EHRs, and offshoring are eliminating most of the work and driving down pay, you still think that things will be different for you.

Similarly, it will make no difference to you if we say a school is bad. You will just think things will be different for you. You will be the exception to the rule.

If we say that a school has no instructors, you will just feel that is an advantage because, remember, you don't want to deal with people.

Similar Messages:

CareerStep A Valid School Or Is There Another One
Feb 27, 2014

So, I am wanting to go to school for MT, I need some feedback please. Is the online school better than going to an actual college to do the at home work? Is CareerStep a valid school or is there another one I should consider. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Good School
Oct 08, 2011

Hello - I am researching schools for MT education/training. I have seen Andrews mentioned here as a very good one. Does anyone have any knowledge of Career Steps or Future MT? I want a great education and don't want to inadvertently get on the "kiss (of death) list"! Any other contenders? Thanks so much for your input!     ...

Good Training School
Jun 09, 2010

I need some advice on good schools to use for transcription training.  I have been talking to Kaplan University about their program.  Does anyone know anything about them they can advise?  Has anyone else used them?  I am afraid since they aren't a local college in the state of Texas, where I live, I will have a hard time finding work after graduation.  Any thoughts?  All help would be appreciated! ...

Looking For A Good Online MT School
Sep 03, 2011

I've been searching for an online MT school that has a good rep among Mt's and MT employers for been a good school with a good training.  So far I have on the list CareerStep, M-Tec, and Andrews. Please, any opinions and advice about these schools (or any other I don't know about), negative and positive, would be soooo welcome since I'm having a hard time choosing a school.  I would not like to waste my money on a school with a poor training and not known ...

Good MT School? Need Advice
Jan 06, 2015

Hi everyone. I was recommended by a friend to visit this site. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a good MT school/Program? Ive looked into CareerStep and they are a little pricy for my budget right now. I would love for the school to offer job assistance after graduation (if possible). Can anyone help me? Thank You!!!! ...

FutureMT-Good School?!
Jan 29, 2015

Hello! I am looking to start my career in MT, but not sure of what school to use. I have been told about FutureMT by a girl that used to do MT, however the school is not accredited. I didn't know if this actually matters or not. It's about half the price of career step and other schools I've seen. Any feed back would be soooo appreciated!  ...

Is Penn Foster MT School Any Good?
Dec 31, 2009

I started transcription a bazillion years ago before they were even any schools around.  My daughter now wants to get into it and is looking at Penn Foster.  Is their program any good or is there a better one out there that would help make it easier to find a job when she gets out? Thank you in advance :) ...

Medical Transcription - Good School ?
Sep 12, 2010

Hi. i    want to know if anyone    know  of a good school for medical  transcription   i've been looking online but  don't knoe what  school to choose. I want a school that have internships.  Thanks! ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

Career Step Or Andrews Is A Good School?
Jan 27, 2010

Anyone know if Career Step or Andrews is a good school? I'm trying to decide on which one to go to. ...

Searching For Good Online MT School For Canadian
Jan 01, 2011

I'm searching everywhere on web for info on the best recommended schools for Medical Transcription.  Canscribe is said to be 'one of the best', however it's soooo expensive.  Does anyone know a few other good schools recommended by AHDI ?     ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Career Step - Is A Good School To Attend For MT Training
Jan 15, 2011

I would like to know if anyone thinks Career Step is a good school to attend for MT training. Andrews and MTEC are quite a bit more expensive and I don't think I can afford them. I can't really afford Career Step. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

CareerStep
Aug 26, 2010

I just graduated from a school last month for medical transcription but feel like I'm not fully prepared and I'm not having any luck with employment or testing. I was thinking about enrolling in careerstep because I heard good things about them. Does anybody have any experience with them? Did you find employment afterwards and were you prepared well? Thank you. ...

Are Any Of U Careerstep.com Graduates?
Nov 01, 2009

I am about 2 weeks away from the final and would take any advise on the final, the job search and any other great advise you can give me. I am hoping to work from home to take care of my son. Good companies, bad companies? how is the pay for new graduates? ...

Anyone Who Took CareerStep Class
Nov 09, 2009

A friend of mine is taking the CareerStep class for MT (although I tried to talk her out of it).  Anyway she is in the transcription part, and using the disks that were supplied with the course.  How did you listen to and transcribe from this.  She put the disk in the disk drive of her computer, but there is no way to start/stop the dictation, etc. and I believe it would be very frustrating.  Or are we both missing something?  Did you use expresscribe or something and do ...

CareerStep Is A Little Less Costly
Sep 15, 2012

but in my state, am not sure Unemp is going to pay for it because it is not located in my state.  There were colleges offering it where I could have gotten some financial assistance; however, some are not offering it this year.  Odd, because it seems in demand (?) but NYS Unemp is pushing their tech schools, only none offer distance learning. The one college that was offering evening classes, just stopped offering the medical reimbursement course. Just can't get exactly what i ne ...

CareerStep Or AAPC
Feb 08, 2015

I know this question has been asked in the past, but most replies are 3-4 years old.  Looking at both programs, anybody taken either course?  Which would be the better of the two?  Also has anyone who has graduated from the CareerStep program gained employment with IOD? Thank you for your input! ...

CareerStep Very Andrews
May 27, 2015

Is there anyone who has any experience with CareerStep and Andrews.  From what I have read there is supposed to be more of an Advantage to CareerStep.  Has anyone else heard this?  Andrews will work with you on a payment plan but if you are missing out on something important what good is it.  Anyone who has actually gone through either program?  If so how long did it take to finish, how long to find a job, and how prepared were you for the job? I am just not sure w ...

Will Companies Hire A New MT From Careerstep
Apr 08, 2010

I am taking the Careerstep course and I am going to finish very soon.  I hear that many companies wave their experience requirement if you take the Careerstep course, because it is so thorough and you transcribe so many reports that you can easily find a job.  Is this true?  Anyone out there graduate from Careerstep and find a job easily as a new MT.  I mean how do you get the jobs if you do not have the experience.  ...

CareerStep MT Training In Progress
Jan 28, 2011

I am in the process of going thru the CareerStep MT training course. I am learning SO much and enjoy every minute of it. I have used this site as a resource at times, so thanks everyone for your posts! I looked at other institutions before deciding on CareerStep, and I am pretty satisfied with the program. Whenever I have a question, I can contact support and get an answer back the same day, sometimes within minutes. It is challenging for sure but I am going to get through it! ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Are Andrews, MTec And CareerStep Still Considered The Top 3?
Dec 28, 2011

Just a general question and it seems that these are the top three as far as offering the best education and preparedness for certification.  Enrolling has me a bit nervous, so I want to make sure I'm getting my money's (and time's) worth. TIA!!! ...

Medical Transcription Schools CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec
Jan 19, 2010

3 schools were recommended, CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec, not sure which one to go with.  The tuition goes from $1875-$4975, I am curious why such a huge difference and what is the normal time frame for training.  Some say a 4 month program, a 6 month program & a 9 month program.  Any info is appreciated! Can anyone recommend one of these schools over the other? ...

What Companies Waive Experience If You Attended CareerStep?
Sep 14, 2010

Many posters claim that if you attend Career Step, many MTSOs will waive experience requirements. I would like to know which MTSOs do, and the experiences that new MTs who are CareerStep grads are having/have had, as I am contemplating enrolling. ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Pls Share Opinions On Schools Andrews, Meditech And CareerStep
May 03, 2012

No msg. ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...