Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

New Federal Ruling on 04/05/21 regarding patient accessing/sharing - their own EMR data. sm

Posted: Nov 8th, 2021 - 4:08 pm

I am posting this so that other people will be aware of this new policy regarding patient access to their EMR.

I kept reading info on Sunday about the right to not only access your own medical records, but to also download them and share them with others, not just with clinicians.  I didn't see the info about it being a new law this year until today when I was doing additional research. 

When I would see the option to share info in my different EMRs, I couldn't understand what they were talking about.  It was so easy because you just followed the instructions on the screen and hit Send.  Now, I understand.

The below blurb is from a legal firm that was describing the new law and wasn't speaking in legalese:  Link:  https://www.bracheichler.com/insights/healthcare-law-alert-get-ready-to-open-your-records-cures-act-open-notes-rule-takes-effect-april-5/

The federal “Open Notes” rule is scheduled to take effect on April 5, 2021. The rule implements a portion of the federal 21st Century Cures Act (Cures Act) related to “information blocking,” specifying that clinical notes are among electronic health information (EHI) that must not be “blocked” and must be available free of charge to patients and their representatives. Generally speaking, such access is through a patient portal or health applications on smart devices.

Hope this helps someone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)