Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Integrity.. (Views: 62)

Self-employment rule with Social Security - Susan@TRL

Posted: Oct 19th, 2021 - 6:24 pm

I have worked for 3 docs for several years.  The one who has the most work is retiring soon and I will only make about $400 a month from the remaining 2 docs.  I am considering retiring now at 64 but would like to continue to do the work for these 2 docs.  With regard to collecting Social Security, the earnings limit will be no problem at $18,960 a year but my accountant is telling me that SS has a Self-Employment Rule whereby to be considered retired, you must not have performed "substantial services."  According to the SSA, if you work between 15 and 45 hours per month and the work you did could be considered highly skilled, your work could be considered substantial services.  So, my question is, is a medical transcriptionist considered highly skilled for the purposes of Social Security?  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thank you for any responses!

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)