Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

What we are - worth.

Posted: Sep 18th, 2020 - 7:18 am In Reply to: Getting paid for what you are worth - Everyone wants that

With decades of experience, I am worth more as a transcriptionist. However, as an IC, I am also expected to be a computer science expert, know all the vocabulary and have all the up-to-date facets of technology; what am I worth?

I agree with you. We are not paid for our worth. We should all be employees, no matter what. None of this IC status because they do not let you name your price and they also make you work on a certain platform.

You have younger folks who might have a decade or less under their belt, they know more about technology because they had more exposure. However, they may not ever have worked in a facility to know that most were never disciplined because you couldn't fill a blank. They do not know that we received regular raises plus cost of living raises every year based on our work ethic.

This industry has changed. The working world has changed. The technology out there against the MT. It is solely meant to eliminate human interaction. This is happening in restaurants as well.

The funny thing is that I remember when the first MAC machine was put in place at the bank. I thought wow, I can take out money even when the bank is closed? How cool is that? Now, you can take a picture of a check on your phone and deposit it. You can Venmo your friends money from your bank account to theirs on your phone.

Sad to say, but this industry is dead. The companies know it (this is why they are taking Nuance and MModal subbed work) and all the MTs know it. The younger MTs or new MTs probably use this as just a supplement. I know retired MTs also use it as a supplement. It's kind of like selling Tupperware. The party is big sometimes and you get a good account and the money comes in. Sometimes, no one comes to the party and you only sell a few items.

It's become a pyramid scheme so to speak. Also, I find management in this industry to be very top heavy especially in companies that contract with ICs. Seems like a waste of money, but this is probably a huge reason why we get no raises or incentives or anything to do anything above and beyond like work past 5 p.m. or work on weekends or come work on your day off (used to be called overtime). No such thing - IC status - it's the pits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)