Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Coding / Medical Billing

Please don’t do Career Step - There are better choices

Posted: May 21st, 2020 - 3:19 pm In Reply to: Thanks - MTinMT

Coding is difficult, especially for someone with no medical background. A course costs about $2000 to $2500 and at completion there is a certification exam that you need to pass to become employable at all. Breaking into coding is very difficult,. Most employers want experience, a few will let people intern on site. From start to finish, your niece will be looking at 6 months to a year, if she is able to stick it out and complete the required course work. I would not recommend Career Step. I went from MT to coding and took the CS course but ended up taking additional college level courses to fill in the material that they omitted, otherwise I would never have been prepared to pass a certification exam. Career Step is all independent study using canned course materials with no instructor support. Things may have changed since I was in the program, I admit that it was several years ago. AAPC has a well respected program and sponsors one of the certification exams. The Andrews School has a good reputation as well. If a school promises job placement, they are not being truthful. Working at home usually doesn’t happen right away for new grads. Visit the Facebook coding groups and some of the other online forums to learn about job prospects for new coders. People are getting laid off and furloughed, and there is going to be more competition than ever for jobs, so getting the best education is really important.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)